Who Among You Tried Shorter a Driver This year?

JohnKHawk

Got a bit lucky, managed to find an 11.5* Original One at 2nd Swing, it's on its way.  Weather is to give us a bit of a break, and because I live minutes from the 2nd Swing hub, I should be able to take this on the course over the weekend, or next week.

Crossing my fingers.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I tried a Ping G400 max at 44.25 with a UST Chrome and an Aldila RIP shaft. I experimented with a variety of swingweights using either lead tape or a heavier Ping weight. Neither option was better than the OEM Tour 65 shaft at 45,25". 

I also tried the Chrome in a King  LTD  and an F9 both  at  44.25 with similar results. The F9/ Chrome  worked better when I added  a 1 inch extension.  I'm consistently straighter and  longer at 45 vs 44.

I drank the Golfwrx shorter driver koolaaid and decided it wasn't for me. YMMV, but around 45" is the driver length sweetspot for me. I dont believe playing a shorter driver is a magical cure all for everyone, its a preference not an indisputable law.

Full disclosure : I disliked the RIP shaft  no matter what length it was cut at.  

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

I started off this year with a new to me driver that was cut down to about 3 wood length and had a light shaft in it. I was hitting it pretty well, but towards the end of the season felt like I may have been missing something. That and my inner club ho was acting up, so rather than get a new driver I got a different shaft. I got a grafalloy prolaunch blue supercharged off of ebay and had it cut down to 46". I figure it's easier to have it cut down than extended. I felt like the carry distance was better and the dispersion hasn't seemed to suffer, I would put that down to having the longer length for carry distance and dispersion was a combo of heavier shaft and not fighting a fade.

I'm hoping to fine tune it this offseason to try and maximize carry distance and work on getting the consistent fade. 

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

After years of playing 44", I've moved the other way. This year I'm playing 45" and results have been good.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

44.5" with a bunch of hotmelt added to get up to D4.

Love it. It feels like a very easy to control little sledgehammer.

I've been toying with stretching it back out to 45" but I doubt I'd go longer again (without some really good evidence that it would be a positive change)

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

I cut mine down to 44.5” and immediately started hitting it better, and farther. Going to experiment with a 9.5 388cc driver (S Yard t.388) with a 43.75” finished length that is en route from Yahoo Japan. Hopefully we get a weather window I can get out before the deep freeze sets in. 

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

No lie I thought about it several times this year, some awful driver days followed by amazing stripe shows followed by leaving my driver in my truck and just playing 3W then back stripe show and continue the circle. 

I think for me it's more lessons that will fix things but I'm not opposed to trying a shorter driver shaft, will consider one when getting fit for a new shaft in winter. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Cut down my Ping G410 LST to 44" and added an additional 15g head weight I also took an inch off my 3 wood and 1/2 inch off my hybrids. I've found the following :-

• Best ball speed has dropped from 155mph to 150mph
  • Average ball speed has maintained due to more centre strikes
  • Accuracy and dispersion significantly improvedOne thing to note

In summary I'm a massive convert and don't plan to play a longer shaft again.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

I took an inch off the Max 400 and doing much better. I was really struggling with the driver, and now it is so much better. I also cut the 5 and 7 wood a 1/2 inch. The shorter shaft helps to maintain a proper swing path, and not as flat as longer shafts.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 10/28/2020 at 2:03 PM, NRJyzr said:

Got a bit lucky, managed to find an 11.5* Original One at 2nd Swing, it's on its way.  Weather is to give us a bit of a break, and because I live minutes from the 2nd Swing hub, I should be able to take this on the course over the weekend, or next week.

Crossing my fingers.  🙂

Good luck. I have read how much people love the mini but couldn't find one on ebay in my budget so I found a 12 deg. 320 older head for $30 from Bang and decided to make my own Mini. Unfortunately the face was more closed than left field so I sold it to a buddy and put a hi flying hybrid shaft in my old Macgregor 9.5 and now I think I must be hitting it the equivalent of an 11 deg. all things being equal. It is one of the most forgiving clubs I have in fact. It is in effect a 2 wood which used to be quite popular. I don't think I could ever go back to hitting bullets even if it meant 20 more yards.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

28 minutes ago, chipa said:

Good luck. I have read how much people love the mini but couldn't find one on ebay in my budget so I found a 12 deg. 320 older head for $30 from Bang and decided to make my own Mini. Unfortunately the face was more closed than left field so I sold it to a buddy and put a hi flying hybrid shaft in my old Macgregor 9.5 and now I think I must be hitting it the equivalent of an 11 deg. all things being equal. It is one of the most forgiving clubs I have in fact. It is in effect a 2 wood which used to be quite popular. I don't think I could ever go back to hitting bullets even if it meant 20 more yards.

Their scarcity seems to be a side effect of the pandemic.  Six months ago, 2nd Swing had over three dozen sets of i200s.  Now it's a handful.

If I hadn't found the Original One that I bought, I was thinking about a T-Zoid Forged, the blue clubhead.  About the same size.

Or an M1 430.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Mavrik playing at 45" seems to be the best mix of distance and dispersion.

Have a shaft in the same weight, one flex up (6.5) built to play 48" to train swinging harder, have gained distance with horrible dispersion at what I feel is a slower swing.

Put the shorter shaft back in and instantly feel like its easier to swing find the center of the face.

I tried 44.75 down from 45.25. 

No notable difference for men.

What I get the best results from is a heavier, softer flex shaft. 

Playing HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 in my G400 @ 45.25"

Sometimes I use an Atmos Blue TS @ 66g in stiff, but the heavier HZRDUS is really best for me, so I don't know why I experiment at all.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I had mine tipped to play at 44.25 on my G410 lst, then I swapped the 12 gram headweight for a 18 gram and I’ve never been better off the tee. 

A demoed a couple of drivers in stock X- flex shafts off the shelf at stock length  (SIM + Maverik), then hit it against my Ping G410 Lst with a 44.25 inch Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shaft. I found my ball speed to be almost identical between the 3 with the SIM on top by 1mph at 168 , which also had the worst dispersion by far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . 

I’m a fan of the shorter driver with added headweight personally. It seems to fit my swing and allows me to hit optimum numbers with the tightest dispersion YMMV 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

I tried 44.75 down from 45.25. 

No notable difference for men.

What I get the best results from is a heavier, softer flex shaft. 

Playing HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 in my G400 @ 45.25"

Sometimes I use an Atmos Blue TS @ 66g in stiff, but the heavier HZRDUS is really best for me, so I don't know why I experiment at all.

Don't have a comment other than I'm also a fan of heavier shafts.  Even have an NV105 wood shaft lying in wait, once I figure out what im going to do with my fairway wood configuration....

On 10/28/2020 at 5:40 PM, enduro said:

I tried a Ping G400 max at 44.25 with a UST Chrome and an Aldila RIP shaft. I experimented with a variety of swingweights using either lead tape or a heavier Ping weight. Neither option was better than the OEM Tour 65 shaft at 45,25". 

I also tried the Chrome in a King  LTD  and an F9 both  at  44.25 with similar results. The F9/ Chrome  worked better when I added  a 1 inch extension.  I'm consistently straighter and  longer at 45 vs 44.

I drank the Golfwrx shorter driver koolaaid and decided it wasn't for me. YMMV, but around 45" is the driver length sweetspot for me. I dont believe playing a shorter driver is a magical cure all for everyone, its a preference not an indisputable law.

Full disclosure : I disliked the RIP shaft  no matter what length it was cut at.  

Similar results for me. Tried 44-45 inches and the best results for me were at 45. No noticeable advantage with accuracy and no distance gains so I am staying at 45 inches for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flyers99 said:

Similar results for me. Tried 44-45 inches and the best results for me were at 45. No noticeable advantage with accuracy and no distance gains so I am staying at 45 inches for the foreseeable future. 

That's really the whole point of all this.  Most of us trying shorter sticks are doing so because the current standard lengths don't fit us.  But....  45" drivers *do* work for some.

All about finding what works best.  Golf is not one size fits all.

I still think sub-70g graphite shafts and 45"+ driver lengths are an abomination in the eyes of the golf gods.....    😉 😈

Edited by NRJyzr

23 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I still think sub-70g graphite shafts and 45"+ driver lengths are an abomination in the eyes of the golf gods.....    😉 😈

When I did my first proper driver fitting a year ago it was quickly apparent for me and my swing that anything in the 60g range was a non-starter for my swing. Tempo was horrible, strike pattern was inconsistent and it was just bad. My sweet spot is in the 70g range - knowing this helped a ton given I like to tinker a bit and try different shafts from time to time. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, Orange Hog said:

About 5-6 years I ago I played in an event where I was sponsored by Bridgestone.  Something got messed up on the order sheet and they cut my driver down to 43.5".  Had no choice but to play it at that length for 4 days in the event.  To say I was floored with the performance was an understatement.  When I got back home I played several other rounds with my normal playing buddies and all of them commented on how confident I had become with the driver.  I really wasn't giving up much distance either, which was the biggest surprise.  Sadly I got rid of that Bridgestone J715 driver (still have major regrets about it) but I've dabbled with shafts from 43.5 to 44.75 inches long and, for me, the 43.5 to 44 inch range is money.

Recently I got my hands on a TM Original One 11.5* mini driver and decided to give it a shot.  It's an absolute BEAST off the tee!  The guys I typically play with hit it out there a long way and I'm hanging with them on every hole.  I don't think I'll ever go back above the 44" length on a driver again.

I had forgotten they were one of the sponsoring OEM’s in that event.  It’s a shame they moved away from the club end of the business.  I had the 815 for a season and it was really good. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I've gone from 45.25 to 44.5 in G410+ albeit a different shaft rather than cutting it down. I *think* the biggest change was the SW moved from D5 to around D1 and I have much better timing and control of the club face, I guess all the factors played a part. 

41.5" in 5 wood and standard from there. 

On 11/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I had forgotten they were one of the sponsoring OEM’s in that event.  It’s a shame they moved away from the club end of the business.  I had the 815 for a season and it was really good. 

The J15 CB irons were puuuuure!  Still have my J15 3+ fairway wood.  I wish I had my old J715 driver in the bag.

• Like 1

I recently cut mine down half an inch and it plays either 44 or 44.25 now (not sure which) and had to add quite a bit of lead tape to the head. It doesn't hurt much if any in length and is much easier to swing. 

Don't see myself ever playing a maximum of 44.5" Also my irons and wedges are .5" long and I'm 6'1

Edited by golfdaddio3

Epic Max LS. oban kiyoshi gold 75x

TS2 3W fuji speeder 84x

TS2 3H tensei blue 80x

Ping i20 4-gw x100

Cleveland 797 BeNi 55*

Callaway pm grind 60*

Odyssey Toulon Atlanta

Ive been at 44.75 my entire golf life and recently with SIMMax and max D noticed a slight toe pattern (nothing crazy but off center).  I decided to try a shaft I had as back up at 44.5" (not much change) and it has been really key in centering the strikes perfectly more times than not.  I am going to play this for the rest fo the winter and tea eat from there on the next driver build (maybe SIM 2.0, or the new Mizuno driver coming).

I say easy experiment is take an old shaft get it cut to length, and add the loft sleeve so you can try it in the game.  All the sing weighting and grips stuff can come later, but the experiment is to see if you like the shorter length and then get it maximized through SW and Loft sleeve, tipping, but trimming etc...you might be pleasantly surprised. I was.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0