My brief blade experience

longjohnpeter

I often find I have the same exact feeling towards the comments that are made about who is good enough to hit blades. I am not by any means a great golfer, but I play blades and it is one of the most consistent parts of my game and gives me the most joy when striking the ball. When I watch youtube videos about playing blades or reviewing blades it seems like they always say something about who they think isย allowed to use them.

ย 

I understand that they are designed for people with a lot of different shots and skill, but I think the trope has started to get under my skin.

• Like 4

Welcome to GolfWRX congrats on your first post! You have not let us down ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

ย 

All humor aside Enjoy it, dont let anyone tell you what to play until someone is PAYING you to play golf.

ย 

Now moving on.

ย 

Many times has this topic come up.ย  Yet the Blade (head of club) is discussed. YET the forgot fact is the WHOLE club.

ย 

Please provide specs on your Ping Zings.ย  Meaning,ย  What is the shaft?ย  what is the lenght?ย  What is the Swing weight and what is the loft/lieย 

ย 

Now Compare this to your Lynx 7iron is the club similar in specs,ย  Swing weight, length, shaft profile etc?

ย 

ย 

I hit a blade just as well as I hit a GI and SGI, when the specs are all equal.ย  I miss the Blade and GI and have offline shots just as bad with both as well.

ย 

does the blade make me better or worse? Nope.ย  Does the blade have different inherent ball flights. yes.ย  Thats about it.

ย 

Other than that, Yes,ย  There is more MOI in the forgiving clubs.ย  yes on less then optimal strikes a forgiving club does help retain ballspeed.ย ย 

ย 

Good luck and enjoy the ride it might get bumpy from here on out. LOLย 

• Like 4

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenomย 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639ย CBs-5-4 ย ย PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7ย - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2ย - 33"

Unfortunately I don't know any of the club or shaft specs of the zings. I bought them off of facebook marketplace. We lefties don't have a ton of options lol. But I never thought of swing weight or other shaft characteristics having an effect. I'm going to have to look more in depth into this.

ย 

Thank you for the feedback!!

44 minutes ago, longjohnpeter said:

Unfortunately I don't know any of the club or shaft specs of the zings. I bought them off of facebook marketplace. We lefties don't have a ton of options lol. But I never thought of swing weight or other shaft characteristics having an effect. I'm going to have to look more in depth into this.

ย 

Thank you for the feedback!!

Many of times..... from my opinion and experience.ย  New players that are generally athletic are given,ย SGI/GI Clubs.

ย 

these clubs are may not be optimal for X player.

ย 

Dr.Google says;

ย 

Ping Zing 2 are C9-D0 in swing weight

7iron is 34.5* 36.75" long

ย 

ย 

Lynx Tour Blade

7iron 33* & 37.25" long

ย 

ย 

So already the Lynx 7 iron is 1.5* strong,ย  usually 3yards per degree so this is at least 5 yards

Next the Lynx is .50" longer or 1 club longer.ย  The equivalent would be the 6iron length in the Ping Zing

ย 

ย 

Not sure what the true swing weight would be but assume the Lynx is a D2,ย  and if the Ping Zings are in fact C9-D0 it just might notย be optimal for you.ย  And the Lynx might better fit your swing.ย  Now imagine if you took the Zing head and spec-ed it out to match the Lynx. you have a more optimal setup with more forgiveness?.... Just saying .

ย 

ย 

All this is disregarding the actual shaft profile as well.ย ย ย Is it a stock 130gram steel,ย  or light steel 85gram or graphite.ย  The Lynx has KBS Tour 90's which are pretty light as well.

ย 

Its not ONLY the head that makes a differnce.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 2

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenomย 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639ย CBs-5-4 ย ย PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7ย - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2ย - 33"

1 hour ago, longjohnpeter said:

For reasons unbeknownst to myself, I have been obsessed with playing blades lately. So I took a trip to my local range today and picked out an old Lynx USA 7 iron blade from the rental rack (I don't own a blade and had never hit one previously). While I did see a reduction in distance (more of a result of EXTREMELY crappy range balls and a 50 degree day), I couldn't believe how much more consistent my face contact was, compared with my Ping Zing's I currently use. And even on the few mishits, they weren't punished nearly as bad as everyone and their mother said they would be, and I knew exactly what had happened and could adjust accordingly.

ย 

Anyone have a similar experience? Is this just a honeymoon phase? Or is the golfing elite trying to preserve the sanctity of blade irons?

I believe itย all comes down to preferences. ย Itโ€™s true that uโ€™ll lose some distance and mishits are not as easily forgiven; however, if u like the blades enough to pick up a set, uโ€™ll figure out a way to make it work for u.ย 

Iโ€™m assuming that u are not competing in any professional tours, so performance is not the most important factor when considering a set.ย 
If it looks good and feels good, then who cares if it it doesnโ€™t perform as well as the others.ย 

Just goย for it, mate.
Sheโ€™s never out of ur league.ย 
Cheers

• Like 4

Just a quick question for the group. ย I thought I read once that some of โ€œfeelโ€ actually had to do with how the club sounded when struck. ย So is it possible that a couple of clubs feel different because they sound different when you hit the ball?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

17 minutes ago, indianwoodpro said:

Lynx USA NOT EXACTLY a Blade Iron.

this was Lynxโ€™s attempt at a game improvement to compete withย 

PING Eye 2 irons.

ย 

Looks like a blade to me....a little perimeter weighting but not much

ย 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lynx-USA-Model-7-Iron-Original-Stiff-Steel-Shaft-/292993984236

Edited by Ripken08
  • Like 2

ย 

ย 

ย 

When the majority of the best players in the world want a little more forgiveness than blades offer it is hard for me to believe that many on here should be playing them, if scoring low is what makes the game the most fun. ย For a lot of people that is not what makes the game the most fun. ย Many people have more fun playing with some specific piece of equipment and thatโ€™s definitely what they should play with.

ย 

some people will try to convince you that forgiveness is not a real thing. ย Iโ€™m no expert but that has not been my experience. ย Yes, good hits will be good and bad hits will be bad. ย But many golf shots live in the grey area between pure and mishit. ย Those shots a little of the toe or just a touch heavy will be very different with a pure blade and a more forgiving club from what Iโ€™ve seen. ย 
ย 

last thought is to not overlook sole width and the way the club interacts with the turf. ย Some SGI clubs have wider soles that donโ€™t work well for some swings even if it seems the player could benefit from maximum forgiveness. ย It can take some trial and error to find the right club that offers forgiveness and the right turf interaction.

• Like 4

There are no set rules to who can blades and who can't.ย  I will say this however.ย  Blades tend to have a smaller sweet spot compared to some player's cbs and def for GI and SGI irons.ย  For some with higher handicaps, they might be good ball strikers but absolutely suck at their short game.ย  Someone like that could get away with blades.ย  Also, you have golfers who want to work the ball side to side.ย  Blades would be something to consider.ย  There is the feel aspect as well.ย  Nothing in golf feels better than hitting one right on the screws with a forged blade.ย  I had a set of rac tp blades and they were longer toe to heel so they were just as forgiving IMO as player's cb.ย  I found that I could put a little more side spin on it plus had a easier time hitting low ones.ย 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym ๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

ย 

ย 

ย 

For some people a smaller club makes them concentrate a little harder andย that extra little bit of concentration can certainly help you find the center of the club face more often. Problem is itโ€™s tough to keep that going for 18 holes. Much less day to day.ย 
ย 

I just went to blades in my short irons (8-P) and donโ€™t really find that much difference in those shorter irons. They sure are pretty though.

Edited by CCTxGolf
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Iโ€™m far from a technicalย expert but I have concluded that increased MOI may give some incremental benefit, and of course less loft means clubs with a particular loft mightย hit father,ย but the point of most of the โ€œimprovementโ€ in game improvement irons is to allow peopleย who hit theย ground before the ball with a slow swing speed to get a better result from a lower center of gravity.

ย 

This, by the way, is not a good thing.

ย 

charlie-brown2.jpg?w=201&h=279

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1ย  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

ย 

3 hours ago, longjohnpeter said:

For reasons unbeknownst to myself, I have been obsessed with playing blades lately. So I took a trip to my local range today and picked out an old Lynx USA 7 iron blade from the rental rack (I don't own a blade and had never hit one previously). While I did see a reduction in distance (more of a result of EXTREMELY crappy range balls and a 50 degree day), I couldn't believe how much more consistent my face contact was, compared with my Ping Zing's I currently use. And even on the few mishits, they weren't punished nearly as bad as everyone and their mother said they would be, and I knew exactly what had happened and could adjust accordingly.

ย 

Anyone have a similar experience? Is this just a honeymoon phase? Or is the golfing elite trying to preserve the sanctity of blade irons?

ย 

No, I have not had a similar experience. ย 

2 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Iโ€™m far from a technicalย expert but I have concluded that increased MOI may give some incremental benefit, and of course less loft means clubs with a particular loft mightย hit father,ย but the point of most of the โ€œimprovementโ€ in game improvement irons is to allow peopleย who hit theย ground before the ball with a slow swing speed to get a better result from a lower center of gravity.

ย 

This, by the way, is not a good thing.

Just thought I'd bold the most important part of the post.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

People forget ..... once upon a time , in a galaxy far , far away..........

ย 

everyone played a blade. ย And everyone smiled .ย 

I'm confused.ย  Are you saying everyone played blades and smiled or smiled in general?ย  ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym ๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

ย 

ย 

ย 

I've only hit a blade indoors (MP-5, 6 iron) on one occasion and I was hitting everything 175 - 178 yards in a shockingly small circle.ย  I'm an 11-13 handicap and haveย noย idea what the results would look like on turf.ย 

ย 

I've often considered picking up a set of used, contemporary blades to take out on occasion for fun, but it doesn't seem like a wise expenditure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm confused.ย  Are you saying everyone played blades and smiled or smiled in general?ย  ๐Ÿ˜‚

Everyone who enjoyed golf smiled.ย 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7xย 

TM Sim2 max tour ย 16* GD ย ADHD 8xย 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5Tย 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70ย 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125txย 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlockย 

ย  The Lynx USA model looks just like the Lynx Master Model I've been playing this year. So far they have been working great and feel great. I had them in my garage because someone wanted to get rid of them, so I gave them a spin, nice.ย  Ive caught a few out on the toe and still had reasonable results.

• Like 1

After playingย Gi irons most of my life this past season i decided to switch toย a more players type iron, one step above a blade, so i went with mizuno mmc mp20 and i couldnt be happier. Like you all ย said hearing from other reviewers or players about blades or smaller irons and how much more punishing and difficult they can be and yes to an extent... but more so right when you get to a 4 iron mostly imo. I was terrified for years of smaller irons but all it truly has done imo is enhance my play. Its much cleaner interaction going at the ball... the forged feeling is fantastic even though i can play cast also and not care...mizuno forged has been amazing. Im not a big worker of the ball but ive had a few occasions this year where ive needed to hit low and left hook under trees and i can tell you that i was left stunned at the outcomes it provided. If anyone is decent with their irons and has wanted to play a blade or a notch above a blade... do yourself a favor and do so. Its truly not as bad as most make it and todays tech is different from blades and smaller irons of old. I also have no problems hitting shots that are dead straight which is another fear they put into your head about smaller irons. The misses are no worse then the gi i ever played.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, roundersmitty said:

Go for something in the Mizuno JPX line

Based on the pic of that Lynx iron I'd say maybe Maltby MMB-17.ย  I own a set of those and they are ridiculously easy to hit.ย  Kinda look like a blade but not really one.ย  Some well disguised perimeter weighting from the 7i on up.

ย 

Edit - but he's a lefty so nevermind

Edited by the bishop

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-Pย  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSXย  ย 

I switched back to blades this year (had not played them in decades) and I will never give them up. They are so pure and consistent and easy to maneuver. I prefer the thinner soles, which give me better turf interaction.

ย 

Blades will never produce those nuclear shots that go 15 yards longer than you expected. And, yes, GI clubs help retain ball speed on mishits, but I would rather be 10 yards short of the green than in the bunkers or other garbage on either side of the green. And I certainly don't want to torpedo one (happened frequently with my P790s) that goes over the green, which is always where the worst hazards lie.ย 

Edited by uglande
  • Like 3

Titleistย TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleistย TSR2 3w 5w GD ADย DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD ADย Dix

Titleistย T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleistย SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleistย Pro V1 White Hot OG5