So how often do you play a course you hate?

There are a number of public courses in my area that I enjoy playing, and a couple that I absolutely hate because I never seem to score as well on them.  One, in particular, has very tricky greens that many in the area won't play.  But from time to time, just when i think my game is improving, I'll play the 'hated' ones just to see how well my 'new' game will hold up.  Usually, it doesn't.  So, was wondering how many other folks like to challenge themselves on courses they don't particularly like, or do most stick to where they have the most fun?

There are couple courses in my area like that. They're more of point a shoot courses where there is only one shot off of the tee or to the green. I really do not mind playing them, but I just don't want to play often because I lose the chance to have options from off the tee or a bad tee shot ect. and that chance at different shots makes the game fun IMO.

• Like 1

I usually don't play courses I don't like.  There is one around here with greens that scuff up terribly (if you're not in the 1st few groups out they are horrible) and the penalty for missing the fairway (dense bush) is a lost ball.  Just not worth playing no matter how good the layout is.   There are some courses that I like and never play well on, that I will play occasionally.  I finally figured out one of them and shot even Par, so chalk one up for perseverance.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Life's too short to play cr@ppy courses.  There's a course near me that I hate but they have a good practice facility so I buy their range pass that gives me unlimited range balls for a fixed price every month.  But to me the course is awful.  It's one good, short par 4 and 17 other nondescript holes that I could care less if I birdie or make double.  Not that I've mastered the place.  My best there is a 73, but my worst is probably around 85-86 or so.  But I just don't care.  A good course should have enough holes that challenge you to the point where when you go out you are really looking forward to playing them.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I mean I play lots of courses that kick my butt that I love. I play a ton of courses that I shoot poorly at but still have fun.

One of my local courses is tough as nails, tight and it just never suits my eye off the tee. But its a nice challenge and a good change of pace for me.

If I hate a course and don't enjoy playing it I'm probably playing somewhere else next time though.

• Like 1

my course is 27 holes and i despise one of the 9's. 

The other 18 i think is one of the best designs in the province. 

So , most weekends LOL

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I do remember going on a golf trip in Washington state a few years back and encountered my first barrage of par fives where you had to lay up off the tee.

For some crazy reason that ended up becoming my biggest pet peeve in golf haha.

I'm not talking about a 250 yard layup either short of a creek. Or where you have a choice to take on a big piece of the dog leg.

I'm talking like a 180 yard tee shot , 90 degree dog leg and then 400 yards left to the green. I absolutely hated hitting mid iron tee shot and then having to hit a hybrid or 3 wood to have a wedge into the green. 

For perspective I can't remember the names of the courses because I've erased them from my memory bank.

• Like 1

I don't judge courses on my score, I judge them on visual interest, course layout & strategy, course conditions and staff friendliness.

There are few courses I 'hate', which is generally due to poor conditioning or a boring or otherwise whacky course layout.

I generally prefer more difficult tracks, which provide more of a challenge than 'easier' courses.

• Like 4

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

• jordan2240 changed the title to So how often do you play a course you hate?

I should clarify (and I fixed the title) that what I'm talking about are courses that are in good condition and generally visually appealing that just don't suit your eye well and that you simply never play well, not courses that are rundown or have unfriendly staff or have crappy greens, etc.  No one really likes to play a course that isn't in somewhat decent condition, I would think.  The one course in particular that I 'hate' to play is usually in very good shape, greens are decent and very fast, and it's a great workout if you walk, so technically, I don't 'hate' the course, I just 'hate' playing it because I'm just not precise enough for it.  Most of the greens have no good places to miss, and holding the ball on the green when you can't spin it like a pro is nearly impossible.  But if I ever shoot under 90 on it, I'll have my game in a very good spot for me. 

Another one I don't particularly like because fairways are narrow, generally with pines on both sides, and hackers like myself spend more time looking for their balls than playing golf - but it's a dream for people who like to stock up on other people's balls.  I don't particularly like the staff or the aesthetic of the course, but it is always in nice shape, and if I ever score well on it, it will also indicate I've gotten my game into decent shape, so presents a nice challenge even if I don't particularly like playing it.

I gotcha @jordan2240

Outside of poorly maintained places I'll usually play and enjoy most courses.

I do have a particular hatred for forced tee shot layups on longer holes as i stated earlier. I also prefer dog leg left heavy courses if I'm being honest (I'm a lefty who fades his tee shots). I just don't have that shot in the bag most days to turn a tee shot left to right with much consistency. Thats my own baggage though haha.

There will always be some tracks that just have a combination of things that end up making me like them less. 

One weird course design I hate is too many driveable par 4s at a muni track. One or two is cool and fun. What I've found with these holes is most of the 220 average drive, beer drinking weekend hackers think they can get there and end up waiting and piling up the tee boxes all day. It slows the course down to a crawl haha.

Edited by Mcgeeno

There are no courses I won't play solely because I don't like the course.  There is a course near me that I don't play but once every couple of years because I don't like the management (no walking in the mornings), the drama (tee times are only suggestions), and the course is nothing special and it doesn't attract the nicest people.  Weird how that works.  A course with tricky greens would attract me.  Always interesting to play really fast greens that are difficult to read.  Can lead a 4 putt or two but that's part of the challenge.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mcgeeno said:

I gotcha @jordan2240

Outside of poorly maintained places I'll usually play and enjoy most courses.

I do have a particular hatred for forced tee shot layups on longer holes as i stated earlier. I also prefer dog leg left heavy courses if I'm being honest (I'm a lefty who fades his tee shots). I just don't have that shot in the bag most days to turn a tee shot left to right with much consistency. Thats my own baggage though haha.

There will always be some tracks that just have a combination of things that end up making me like them less. 

One weird course design I hate is too many driveable par 4s at a muni track. One or two is cool and fun. What I've found with these holes is most of the 220 average drive, beer drinking weekend hackers think they can get there and end up waiting and piling up the tee boxes all day. It slows the course down to a crawl haha.

Interesting Mcg.  I'm a lefty who generally fades the ball as well, and the one course I intensely dislike has a bunch of dogleg lefts on it, so you'd think it would play right into my usual swing.  No idea why it doesn't.  I recently played a shorter course with a good number of short par 4s and long par 3s that I rather liked, but because of the time of year, it wasn't crowded at all.  I can see where it might get pretty backed up in-season though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

I do remember going on a golf trip in Washington state a few years back and encountered my first barrage of par fives where you had to lay up off the tee.

For some crazy reason that ended up becoming my biggest pet peeve in golf haha.

I'm not talking about a 250 yard layup either short of a creek. Or where you have a choice to take on a big piece of the dog leg.

I'm talking like a 180 yard tee shot , 90 degree dog leg and then 400 yards left to the green. I absolutely hated hitting mid iron tee shot and then having to hit a hybrid or 3 wood to have a wedge into the green. 

For perspective I can't remember the names of the courses because I've erased them from my memory bank.

I call these 'fake hard' holes.

• Like 1

Rio Hondo over in Downey, CA. I don't know what it is about that course but I NEVER play well there ... but it's nearby, not too pricey and for whatever insane reason, my buddies love it. 

We don't play it TOO often - because I tend to b**** about it anytime it comes up as an option - but every couple months, I'll relent. But I won't like it. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Once or twice a year...for now.

There is a course that is in reasonable distance from the office so wind up there after work 1 or 2 times a year. The course has lots of repetitive elevation changes and can be a brute to walk/carry some days which is always my preference.  

Thing is, I'm looking at moving soon, farther away from my regular places and only about 15 min from this place. I guess I better start learning to like it.

• Like 2

Yes, there is a course I play once every other month or so that I don't care for the layout of at all, mainly because it is not realistically walkable, and has one hole that demands a specific shot off the tee that I just don't have.  I will play it if I can't get a good weekend morning tee time at one of my dozen favorites. It's usually really easy to get the first or second tee time of the day at, the price is reasonable, and it is close to home so it is better than not playing.

• Like 1

Usually not twice, but those are more for the reasons ruled out.  One of my favorite courses is one the last few times (only get there once every few years, always first class condition, I love the design) I've played horrible.  I played it better 30 years ago when I was a much higher handicap, lol.  I'll keep playing it!  I can think of a couple of courses I've played with some circus holes (not that some aren't fun on other courses) and other aspects I really don't like much, won't go back on my own but if a few guys want to go (other people like them) because we are looking for a little quick out of town day, I'll go along.  Just have to look at it as more of a challenge and the day isn't about the course.  

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

I guess it depends on why you hate a course.  Poor conditions? Bad layout? Pace of play? Overpriced? Rude staff?

I vote with my feet and there are too many options available to support a course that's not competitive.  That said, I will return to a course that has a challenging layout but maybe plays slower, has poor food, or some other issue.  I won't play it often however.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

I should clarify (and I fixed the title) that what I'm talking about are courses that are in good condition and generally visually appealing that just don't suit your eye well and that you simply never play well, not courses that are rundown or have unfriendly staff or have crappy greens, etc.  No one really likes to play a course that isn't in somewhat decent condition, I would think.  The one course in particular that I 'hate' to play is usually in very good shape, greens are decent and very fast, and it's a great workout if you walk, so technically, I don't 'hate' the course, I just 'hate' playing it because I'm just not precise enough for it.  Most of the greens have no good places to miss, and holding the ball on the green when you can't spin it like a pro is nearly impossible.  But if I ever shoot under 90 on it, I'll have my game in a very good spot for me. 

Another one I don't particularly like because fairways are narrow, generally with pines on both sides, and hackers like myself spend more time looking for their balls than playing golf - but it's a dream for people who like to stock up on other people's balls.  I don't particularly like the staff or the aesthetic of the course, but it is always in nice shape, and if I ever score well on it, it will also indicate I've gotten my game into decent shape, so presents a nice challenge even if I don't particularly like playing it.

You changed the title TO "How often do you play a course you hate ?"

You now seem to be referring to one that's too difficult - a different story I'd say.

In any case. "Hate" ? Once only. Too difficult ? Well now, that's a challenge. I'd play most any of them from time-to-time, mainly to "test" myself.

My club used to take a pre-season trip to the Tampa area and played a course we called the "Red Stake" course (I forget it's actual name). Probably a bit of an exaggeration but it seemed like every hold had lateral penalty areas,,,,,,,,, on BOTH sides,,,,,,,,, Straight ? You'd better be. And none of us was straight enough not to drown a ball or 2 per round. But i was playing wit da "boyz". What was I gonna do ? Stay home ? :classic_sad:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

You changed the title TO "How often do you play a course you hate ?"

You now seem to be referring to one that's too difficult - a different story I'd say.

In any case. "Hate" ? Once only. Too difficult ? Well now, that's a challenge. I'd play most any of them from time-to-time, mainly to "test" myself.

My club used to take a pre-season trip to the Tampa area and played a course we called the "Red Stake" course (I forget it's actual name). Probably a bit of an exaggeration but it seemed like every hold had lateral penalty areas,,,,,,,,, on BOTH sides,,,,,,,,, Straight ? You'd better be. And none of us was straight enough not to drown a ball or 2 per round. But i was playing wit da "boyz". What was I gonna do ? Stay home ? :classic_sad:

I had originally had a typo in the title, and typed 'place' instead of 'play'. "How often do you PLACE a course you hate" didn't make much sense.

I play one I hate often, because the choices are very minimal here. It has tricky greens that beat you to death, I mean the roller coaster type. It is just ridiculous to design greens like this, and they (county) built the Executive course, basically a par 3, with one par 4 and one par 5 thrown in. The greens are even worse on it. Such stupidity just amazes me. This course should be were non players should be picking up the game, not being destroyed by it. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I'm an odd duck. The course I play most often kicks my a**, wrecks (or validates) my handicap and I love it. It's not in great shape but the greens are good and the bunkers are fair. Tee selections and wind make you think about club selection on a hole you've played a hundred times. In 30 years I have never shot lights out here. Love it. Conversely, there is another course nearby I play very well at and loath. It bores me.

there's a course i wouldn't say i hate but don't enjoy playing there...there's just something about it.  i only go when i feel like i wanna play something different but too lazy to drive more than 30 minutes...once i get 3 holes in, i remember why i don't play there more...it's not the course or the people that work there...there's just something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, platgof said:

I play one I hate often, because the choices are very minimal here. It has tricky greens that beat you to death, I mean the roller coaster type. It is just ridiculous to design greens like this, and they (county) built the Executive course, basically a par 3, with one par 4 and one par 5 thrown in. The greens are even worse on it. Such stupidity just amazes me. This course should be were non players should be picking up the game, not being destroyed by it. 

The one course that I hate to play because of the tricky greens also always seems to have the pins placed right on the crest of a mound, so not only are they fast, but I find it nearly impossible to even hit a decent lag.  But one day, I'm gonna kick its a**, or die trying.

1 hour ago, Baitkiller said:

I'm an odd duck. The course I play most often kicks my a**, wrecks (or validates) my handicap and I love it. It's not in great shape but the greens are good and the bunkers are fair. Tee selections and wind make you think about club selection on a hole you've played a hundred times. In 30 years I have never shot lights out here. Love it. Conversely, there is another course nearby I play very well at and loath. It bores me.

I think I would also get bored with a course that I played consistently well.  Haven't found one yet, but that's because of my inconsistent game.  I know they're out there.

• Confused 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:59 PM, jordan2240 said:

I should clarify (and I fixed the title) that what I'm talking about are courses that are in good condition and generally visually appealing that just don't suit your eye well and that you simply never play well, not courses that are rundown or have unfriendly staff or have crappy greens, etc. ...

In my experience, great conditions and visual appeal don't make a good golf course.  In most cases, I would rather play an interesting, fun-to-play course that is a bit scruffy vs. a perfectly maintained track that with poorly executed design or overly penal features.  

Even if I don't score well, I will return to the interesting/fun courses.  

No desire to revisit the layouts that offer a continual series of awkward shots requiring "do-or-die" precision.

53 minutes ago, teejaywhy said:

In my experience, great conditions and visual appeal don't make a good golf course.  In most cases, I would rather play an interesting, fun-to-play course that is a bit scruffy vs. a perfectly maintained track that with poorly executed design or overly penal features.  

No desire to revisit the layouts that offer a continual series of awkward shots requiring "do-or-die" precision.

I hear you about courses that are fun and/or interesting.  I've played a few courses (Ko Olina on Oahu comes to mind) that were dull and forgettable and nothing excited me about it.

There is one course around here that I like, but it has an absolutely stupid hole on it.  That hole alone keeps me away from it other than the 1.5 hr drive.  Coincidentally, it is only 1/2 an hour from another track that I refuse to play.  Lots of people play both as a double-header.  I'm done with that.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

3 hours ago, teejaywhy said:

There is a course not too far away that I enjoy playing that is pretty much the work of the farmer who owned the land (or so I'm told).  It's not very well maintained, but has a lot of fun holes on it.  I didn't mean to imply that one wouldn't play such a course.  What I was trying to say was that I wasn't referring to 'hating' a course based on its condition.