So how often do you play a course you hate?

On 11/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, Mcgeeno said:

I do have a particular hatred for forced tee shot layups on longer holes as i stated earlier. I also prefer dog leg left heavy courses if I'm being honest (I'm a lefty who fades his tee shots). I just don't have that shot in the bag most days to turn a tee shot left to right with much consistency. Thats my own baggage though haha.

I'm with you on this one. Generally the only courses I "hate" and avoid playing are ones that require far to many layup shots off the tee. 2 - 3 I can get on board with, but if I'm only able to hit driver 4-5 times a round then my level of enjoyment drops quickly. All you're doing with that sort of course design is eliminating a major part of the game and skill required to play it.

If you're going to build a course that requires people to hit an iron on almost every hole, why not just build a par 3 course??

• Like 1

Playing that course this weekend with my usual group. We'll see how I do mentally.

Like I mentioned it's just a course with a lot of forced tee shots. Whether it be a iron lay up or a forced fade/draw around something to find the fairway. if it's 2-3 holes fine that's cool, but honestly of the 14 4s and 5s 9 of them are you have to hit this one shot or trouble.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, Abh159 said:

I'm with you on this one. Generally the only courses I "hate" and avoid playing are ones that require far to many layup shots off the tee. 2 - 3 I can get on board with, but if I'm only able to hit driver 4-5 times a round then my level of enjoyment drops quickly. All you're doing with that sort of course design is eliminating a major part of the game and skill required to play it.

If you're going to build a course that requires people to hit an iron on almost every hole, why not just build a par 3 course??

We have an 'executive' course in our area that has mostly par 3s, but also has some 4s.  Can use driver on a few holes, but not many.  It's actually a very challenging course to both play and walk, and great for iron practice.  But it's also one of the courses I don't particularly enjoy, mostly because it requires more precision than my game generally includes.

IMO there is a difference when someone says they don't like a course because they don't score well there compared to a course that has a crappy design or poor playing conditions. This is why when talking about a course with someone that hates a course I will always ask why they don't like that particular course.

I prefer a course that is challenging and has a good layout myself. There are a few in my area that some of my friends don't like because they don't score well at them. I enjoy playing them. I know when I play them I am probably going to shoot a little higher but that is ok with me. 

There are several in my area that everyone loves to play. I find the layouts wide open and straight forward and kind of boring. When we go to them I am happy I am playing golf but not really excited I am going to them. Several of my friends play those most of the time and their caps have gone down. When I play with them and we go some where else they usually shoot higher. I joke and say well you are now playing a real course.

When I tell some one I hate a course it is going to be about poor conditons, constant slow play or bad customer service.

Edited by Greenie
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 4:07 PM, jordan2240 said:

There is a course not too far away that I enjoy playing that is pretty much the work of the farmer who owned the land (or so I'm told).  It's not very well maintained, but has a lot of fun holes on it.  I didn't mean to imply that one wouldn't play such a course.  What I was trying to say was that I wasn't referring to 'hating' a course based on its condition.

Jordan2240 sounds like a course I play. I play a course in PA that is the work of a farmer. Not the best conditions at times but I love the layout and play it more than any other course. Cheap pricing and I love the layout. My only issue with it is I have shot 88 16 times there this yr. two 87's and an 81. I don't mess up the same holes each time but always find a way to end up with an 88 it seems.

6 hours ago, Greenie said:

Jordan2240 sounds like a course I play. I play a course in PA that is the work of a farmer. Not the best conditions at times but I love the layout and play it more than any other course. Cheap pricing and I love the layout. My only issue with it is I have shot 88 16 times there this yr. two 87's and an 81. I don't mess up the same holes each time but always find a way to end up with an 88 it seems.

Curious as to the name of the course.  The one I was referring to is in Gettysburg, and is called 'Meadowbrook'.  But there is another similar one called "Piney Apple" that is a bit further from me.  Its address is in Biglerville.

Edited by jordan2240

59 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

Curious as to the name of the course.  The one I was referring to is in Gettysburg, and is called 'Meadowbrook'.  But there is another similar one called "Piney Apple" that is a bit further from me.  Its address is in Biglerville.

I looked in your profile but I didn't see where you were from.

Yep I am referring to Meadowbrook. The family owns Cedar Ridge down the road too. I much prefer Meadowbrook's layout over Cedar Ridge. I feel the the front nine at Cedar Ridge is plain but I do like the back nine. To bad they can't get the greens better at Meadowbrook but I don't mind the condition.

I think it is $13 to ride during the week and $20 on the weekend right now at Meadowbrook..You can't beat that with a great layout.

The owner was out mowing grass last Sat. when I was there. Still does things around the course and he is in his 90's. Very friendly guy too. A few yrs ago I use to be off on Tues. I would go there and walk 36 holes. One day it was very hot. I headed out and he stopped me on the way to the first tee and said take a cart for free if you can't afford one. I hate to see you walking all the time. I chuckled and said it isn't that I can't afford one. I like to walk for exercise. After that he referred to me as the crazy guy who walks 36 when it's 95 degrees.

I've played Piney Apple before too. It's is farther for me too coming from Frederick, Md. I liked it from what I remember about it. It's been some yrs. for me playing there. I remember they told me the guy made that one on his own too. I heard the story about him and the bulldozer. The bulldozer broke down and he left it there and it became part of the course layout. I would guess he has since passed because he was very old when I talked to him at the course yrs. ago.

I typically hate golf courses for architectural, conditioning, or pace of play issues. I can even overlook the first two if a friend or group really wants to play there, but pace of play is a dealbreaker for me. So many people act like they're playing in a death match. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I looked in your profile but I didn't see where you were from.

Yep I am referring to Meadowbrook. The family owns Cedar Ridge down the road too. I much prefer Meadowbrook's layout over Cedar Ridge. I feel the the front nine at Cedar Ridge is plain but I do like the back nine. To bad they can't get the greens better at Meadowbrook but I don't mind the condition.

I think it is $13 to ride during the week and $20 on the weekend right now at Meadowbrook..You can't beat that with a great layout.

The owner was out mowing grass last Sat. when I was there. Still does things around the course and he is in his 90's. Very friendly guy too. A few yrs ago I use to be off on Tues. I would go there and walk 36 holes. One day it was very hot. I headed out and he stopped me on the way to the first tee and said take a cart for free if you can't afford one. I hate to see you walking all the time. I chuckled and said it isn't that I can't afford one. I like to walk for exercise. After that he referred to me as the crazy guy who walks 36 when it's 95 degrees.

I've played Piney Apple before too. It's is farther for me too coming from Frederick, Md. I liked it from what I remember about it. It's been some yrs. for me playing there. I remember they told me the guy made that one on his own too. I heard the story about him and the bulldozer. The bulldozer broke down and he left it there and it became part of the course layout. I would guess he has since passed because he was very old when I talked to him at the course yrs. ago.

I'm from Mechanicsburg PA.  Used to play quite a bit in Gettysburg because I played with a guy from Chambersburg, and it was about half-way for each of us.  Recently met another Chambersburg golfer right here on golfwrx.  The group I play with usually plays Meadowbrook a few times a year because they are a bunch of old cheap-skates, and I usually walk.  Haven't played Cedar Ridge for a couple of years because the last time I played, it was in horrible shape.  But that was also a drought year, so perhaps it has improved.

The wife and I recently discovered Frederick, and quite enjoyed it.  Will have to visit again sometime post-Covid.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, Fairway14 said:

I've played hundreds of different golf courses and liked every one of them. 

There's lots of courses I like, but they hate me.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

Once or twice a year.  Sister course for my membership.  Gary player design.  Really stinks.  Has nothing going for it.  zoysia greens ( Velcro ) , way too many layups off the tee , and on blind green on the back nine that is down in a hole.  You cannot see the pin or green on approach.  And the green is 15 yards down hill.  With a creek on the side.  Green is 7 paces wide.  Par 4.  It’s a guaranteed bogey . Coming down the stretch it’s nice to know you’ll have to lose a shot at the end.  Hate the place just typing about it.   

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm a member of a golf course that I hate.   The layout is okay; in fact, there are a few very nice holes......however, even though it is a private club, the course is always jammed up with some event (often non-member events) and it's super hard to get on.  COVID has only made it worse.  As a dad of young kids, I don't have the luxury of a standing tee time every Saturday or Sunday morning.....so I squeeze in my rounds where I can....these days it's often a game-time decision.  It used to be that one shows up at his club and walks right on.....now, you're lucky if they can squeeze you in at 11:45 on a Tuesday.  In sum, I pay a bunch of money every month to play (or not) a course that I don't like.  As I write this, I realize it may be time to find a new club!

There are very few courses I "hate" (that's a strong word), but the factors that add to me not liking a course are layout (gimicky holes - I'm kind of a traditionalist), drive distance from home and cost. For me there is pretty much only one course I occasionally decline to play and it is just way overpriced for the course. Course is well maintained and well known in the area, but it is just blah for me. A couple of blind approach, gimicky holes and just kind of boring. I score fine on the course... that's not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I try my best to judge courses in as objective a way as possible, with some totally scientific consideration given to variety of holes, my interpretation of how creative the land usage is, conditioning and general pace of play. However, since it rains a lot here, one of the things that really separates a course's playing experience is the quality of drainage. My problem is, as an exclusively public golf player, there's actually not many places in my area that deliver in all of these categories, and Covid has resulted in getting on to any of those near impossible on good days.

To summarize.... Probably close to half of the golf i played this year was on a course I hate, unfortunately. #shrinkthegame

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Ventus Blue 6X 

Cobra Speedzone 14.5* - Atmos Blue 7X

Taylormade Gapr Lo 19* - Tensei Blue 80X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-P -  AMT Tour White X100

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 56*, 60*

Scotty Cameron TeI 3 Newport 2/ Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

On 12/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, cassel191919 said:

Every week in golf league. Its a nice course it just doesn't fit my eye, but playing with my dad and friends makes it worth it.

Same, except the course is shite.  Great guys though.  The course is also open year round, so there are times in the winter it is our only option.  But it is still a goat ranch.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

I feel what everyone is saying about a course they "hate".  I'm a member at my local track and for me it fits squarely in all the above mentions.  The course is a public course that's open year round, almost always packed with bad pace of play especially on weekends, very rarely is it kept up; greens beat to death (ball marks), we have to move the tee boxes so were not standing in dirt/mud, onion weeds all over the fairways, only 1-2 holes have actual flat stances no matter where you are on the course. Most of the time your better off being in the rough to have grass under your ball, you can hit the ball basically anywhere and not be in trouble and the condition is always awful. One of my biggest pet peeves though is that the members are usually treated worse then the 5-6somes that pay on weekends to play.  The owner will say stuff to us members when we play a 5 some (very rarely and almost never on weekend), but he doesn't say a word to the guys that just paid to play a round. 

Now I joined mainly for a few reasons...cheapest in the area by a lot, closest to home, and most of my buddies play there.  But after being a member for 4 of the last 9 years and putting up with this nonsense I won't be renewing my membership.  Gonna bite the bullet and play my "home" game at a State Park 20 min further away, that's usually in decent shape, can get on almost any time and the big plus for me is my son gets to play for free since he's on the high school team and its their home course.  So enough of my complaining and now on to better courses 😉 

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

If I play a course I really dislike I will never play it again.  There are a few courses that do not fit my eye and I find I don't enjoy the round while playing it for the first time.  I don't remember the last time I gave a course I disliked a second chance.  That has been a couple/three decades or so.  If I hate a course I will not go back.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 1/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, eddiebigeddie said:

I feel what everyone is saying about a course they "hate".  I'm a member at my local track and for me it fits squarely in all the above mentions.  The course is a public course that's open year round, almost always packed with bad pace of play especially on weekends, very rarely is it kept up; greens beat to death (ball marks), we have to move the tee boxes so were not standing in dirt/mud, onion weeds all over the fairways, only 1-2 holes have actual flat stances no matter where you are on the course. Most of the time your better off being in the rough to have grass under your ball, you can hit the ball basically anywhere and not be in trouble and the condition is always awful. One of my biggest pet peeves though is that the members are usually treated worse then the 5-6somes that pay on weekends to play.  The owner will say stuff to us members when we play a 5 some (very rarely and almost never on weekend), but he doesn't say a word to the guys that just paid to play a round. 

Now I joined mainly for a few reasons...cheapest in the area by a lot, closest to home, and most of my buddies play there.  But after being a member for 4 of the last 9 years and putting up with this nonsense I won't be renewing my membership.  Gonna bite the bullet and play my "home" game at a State Park 20 min further away, that's usually in decent shape, can get on almost any time and the big plus for me is my son gets to play for free since he's on the high school team and its their home course.  So enough of my complaining and now on to better courses 😉 

Eddie, I feel you.  My club is private but it suffers from a host of maladies that drive me crazy: pace of play/always packed, practice facilities going downhill, course conditions suffering, lackluster activities, disengaged staff.....yet i remained a member because it’s right around the corner from my house. It’s super easy to zip over to the club to hit balls/chip/putt or go with the family to the pool in the summer.  Ultimately, we made the decision that we just weren’t getting much value for the money we were spending and we resigned our membership at the beginning of January. Feels good.....winter was the best time to do it.  But I need to find a new home course for the spring.  

• 2 months later...

First--I play lots of golf courses that are difficult that I can't master.  If they are good golf courses I'll play them over and over.

Second--if they're poor golf courses and I don't like them I'll play them twice.  Once to find out I don't like it.  The second time to make sure my first impression was correct and that I didn't have a bad day or draw a hasty conclusion.  

Then--never again.