Should new irons be this frustrating?

mahuwf

Just before Christmas I got fit into a set of i210 with the Project X stiff shafts and I’m really struggling with my ball striking with them. Fats, thins, and flipping. It’s incredibly frustrating. 

I had a set of Cobra Bio Cells with huge offset that my game had outgrown (so I thought) and I wanted to progress into better irons. The Bio Cells had stiff 85 gram shafts and they were not fit to me. I can’t help but think that the i210 shafts are too heavy and keep getting stuck behind me. The thing is, I hit them great on the monitor at Edwin Watts and they felt amazing. Since then, I’m hitting lots of weak fades, where my typical ball flight has always been a draw. I’m an 11 hdcp and I really wanted something that I could dial in more precision with. 

I don’t expect equipment to make me better, but I certainly don’t expect it to make me worse either. Is it typical to have such an adjustment period to new irons? My excitement for these new irons has really waned and I have far less confidence in hitting a green from 150 now than I did with the Bio Cells. What gives?

Edited by mahuwf

You made a pretty drastic change. Don’t quit on them. There’s a learning curve even when switching just shafts and comparable heads. The curve is bigger when the change is so drastic. The other thing is during a fitting everything is nice and grooved, the lies are perfect. It sets the bar high, you’ll get there with them. 

Edited by MPAndreassi

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

That's a 30+ gram increase in shaft weight.  That's going to take a little time to get used to.  Don't give up yet!

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

You are basically trying to relearn how to play irons given how different they are.  If your previous set was close in specs and shaft weight, less time.  But as others have said, that is a pretty drastic change.  I210s are great irons heads, so just give it time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

That's why i am very hesitant to change my irons (11+ years). One day, i felt like i'm determined. But then, I think what if i struggle? More than this, what's the point? Or, it could be a fitting issue. Did you go back to the simulator and hit YOUR irons, not the irons for fitting? Also, many people, including me, hit much better with a square setup of simulator. 

• Like 1

IDK, I'm gonna go the other way here.  A lot of times, people play what they "think" they should be playing instead of what they WANT to play.  I have tried this, like you with the i210.  I figured a more forgiving iron with more help all over the face would surely make this game easier.  Nope.  I didn't like the way they felt after a few rounds, I didn't love the look, and I started getting all sorts of uncomfortable.  I don't think it takes long to know if something will work for you or not, I have picked up other sets and put them in play with ease, like my current set of Z785s.  It doesn't mean you can't or won't make them work, but sometimes, things just don't.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Do you know the lie angle of the set you were fitted to, and how different this is to your old set? I had a horrible lie angle fitting once that made great clubs unplayable for me. A simple adjustment and all was resolved. 

To echo everyone else's thoughts.. you have made a massive jump in shaft weight as well as a smaller, less forgiving head. Hopefully you adjust and start striking it well. If not, you wouldn't be the first person to be fitted to clubs you can't consistently hit well. Big difference between fitting indoors on mats and taking clubs into the real world. 

Edited by bombs
  • Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

My P7MCs were the first like actual irons fitting I'd ever done - and were pretty considerably different than my previous set. Way heavier shaft (105s to 125s), longer, flatter and heavier swing weight.

First range session after they arrived was ... a disaster. Dead shanks like 2 of every 3 swings. I was like "WTF?" Called up my fitter and she was like "Keep working with them - it'll take some time."

Took about 5 or 6 range sessions before everything clicked and now they're just amazing. Just took me a good bit to get used to the weight. I say keep working with them for a bit. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Don’t be afraid to use their 90 day warranty - I got fit into a set of p790s, and the shaft was all wrong (hit it far too high out on the course, and spin was off as well). Went back, tried other head and shaft combos and am now loving the ones I got 2nd time around. You get 3 goes at getting it right at any Worldwide Golf affiliate. Fittings can be wrong, particularly when you only hit a 7 iron off a mat.

I hope you adjust  to them.  But.  I’ll be the opposing view and tell you that it never happens for me.  If I don’t get on with it inside the first day , it’s never going to happen.  For me it’s opposite, I can try to go to a lighter shaft and may hit them ok for a round , maybe. But inevitably the “ who knows where it’s going “ miss will come in.  I just had this happen.  I swapped my old standby modus 130 into the same NEW heads I was struggling with . I swapped the shafts on Friday night and Saturday morning I shot a 3 birdie round where I hit 15 greens .  This after 5 weeks of poor scores , greens missed etc.   

so for ME , if it doesn’t work , it’s doesn’t work.  No sense in changing YOU  to suit a club.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 hours ago, bombs said:

True story.. I picked up a cheap set of used P760's as an experiment that did not go well. 

I had them listed by the 8th hole, got a flood of messages straight way, and they sold by the 13th.

Saw them re-listed again three weeks later. Pretty sure they were cursed.

Back in my putter collecting / hoeing days I sold or traded MANY putters during their maiden round.  Lol. Walking and playing leaves bst time between shots. For sure !  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 hours ago, mahuwf said:

Just before Christmas I got fit into a set of i210 with the Project X stiff shafts and I’m really struggling with my ball striking with them. Fats, thins, and flipping. It’s incredibly frustrating. 

I had a set of Cobra Bio Cells with huge offset that my game had outgrown (so I thought) and I wanted to progress into better irons. The Bio Cells had stiff 85 gram shafts and they were not fit to me. I can’t help but think that the i210 shafts are too heavy and keep getting stuck behind me. The thing is, I hit them great on the monitor at Edwin Watts and they felt amazing. Since then, I’m hitting lots of weak fades, where my typical ball flight has always been a draw. I’m an 11 hdcp and I really wanted something that I could dial in more precision with. 

I don’t expect equipment to make me better, but I certainly don’t expect it to make me worse either. Is it typical to have such an adjustment period to new irons? My excitement for these new irons has really waned and I have far less confidence in hitting a green from 150 now than I did with the Bio Cells. What gives?

It's the shaft change.  Increasing 35 grams takes time to adjust, and Project X is typically a stout shaft relative to flex rating.

I had the exact same thing happen to me  going from DG 105 to PX 6.0.  The PX just happened to be in a set of irons in wanted to buy, so I gave them a chance before swapping out, even though I knew they were probably more than I needed.  They have a fantastic feel and flight, but my swing lost consistency because I was working harder to get the best out of them.  Had the occasional fat, shank, which I never did before.  I simply was used to lighter, easier to swing clubs.  

Tldr - you may be able to make them work, but I would consider a swap to a shaft closer to what you are accustomed to.

Edited by morgan1819
  • Like 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

11 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

True WRXers would’ve put them on BST after 9 holes...

This man speaks TRUTH!

• Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I've not had this happen and honestly don't have the patience to wait months to figure out how to adjust to new clubs. I fall into the camp with those that expect to see the benefit on the first round or range session. It would be additionally frustrating if they were clubs I was fit for. I hope this works out for you.

• Like 1

Going from GI or SGI irons to a player's CB or even a blade will be quite a change and will require a more demanding swing.  I think it is pretty much all in your head when you see the thinner topline and the smaller blade profile of the i210 at address.

You will have to get used to it or get lessons till your swing it at a point where your swing is compatible will all types of irons from the thinnest of blades to the chunkiest of SGIs.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I tried switching from S300's to Project X 5.5's and it was not a great experience for me.  The 5.5's just felt super hard to swing so I ditched those irons and went back to my old faithful's.  As others have already said, don't give up just yet.  It will take time and patience to get used to a new club!  

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

Cleveland CG12 50, 54 Callaway MD3 60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

4 minutes ago, hondarob said:

I tried switching from S300's to Project X 5.5's and it was not a great experience for me.  The 5.5's just felt super hard to swing so I ditched those irons and went back to my old faithful's.  As others have already said, don't give up just yet.  It will take time and patience to get used to a new club!  

If you're used to the S300, the 5.5 will likely be too whippy.

Honestly I’ve done similar way back when. 
it is a adjustment period but i would say focus on your technique and less on the outcome. Once those two things build you’ll probably find the results after establishing your foundation with them. 
DONT OVERTHINK SHYTE 💪🏻

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Thanks for all the input. These are the first irons I've ever had fit to me, so I'm trying to figure out how much leash these should have (recognizing the weights are substantially different).

Also perhaps potentially relevant: in the Bio Cells, I had midsize grips. The i210s have standard. Could this also be a reason I've gotten super "handsy" with these? My fitter said I'm right on the line between standard and midsize and like I said, I hit them really well in the fitting so we left the standard on there. Does grip size make more than just a marginal difference here?

Edited by mahuwf

32 minutes ago, mahuwf said:

Thanks for all the input. These are the first irons I've ever had fit to me, so I'm trying to figure out how much leash these should have (recognizing the weights are substantially different).

Also perhaps potentially relevant: in the Bio Cells, I had midsize grips. The i210s have standard. Could this also be a reason I've gotten super "handsy" with these? My fitter said I'm right on the line between standard and midsize and like I said, I hit them really well in the fitting so we left the standard on there. Does grip size make more than just a marginal difference here?

Was the fitting on grass or mats? bet mats, not a real true picture. plus 35 gram heavier shafts kinda skeptical.

My opinion is that...

IF you already have swing problems to begin with, new set of irons wouldnt help much with that, although most of us here, including myself, would ignore that and keep trying to find improvements.

IF your swing was semi dialed in to start with, and new set of irons doesnt not improve your ball striking or any improve in any other parameters like consistency, distance, height, etc,  then I say its a bad fit and need to revisit your clubs choices.

Too often, I see players having to adjust to their clubs to a point where their swing is no longer the same as before...

Sometimes that can be GOOD thing, but more often than not, it can lead you down a dark dark swing path and into the unknown.

For what its worth, PING irons are either love it or hate it for most people. Regardless of model I tried and I tried most of them (Eye2, Rapture, Anser, i20, S55, i25, iBlade, i500, Blue Print, i210), PING irons always take a bit of adjustment for me. 

Maybe its the head shape, sole design, etc, but its different enough to take some gettin used to.

Go back too point of sale,and thankyou for supporting a Real Shop, and ask for help,assistance,rediagnosis,or half hour Coaching, thats your cost.Outline your issues, the 30 grams shaft issue, your Fat shots etc. Kindly ask is there another alternative...Cobra...Ap1..etc.Seek an improvement!Grass is where you test impact,flite,divots,fades!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!