Should new irons be this frustrating?

Just before Christmas I got fit into a set of i210 with the Project X stiff shafts and I’m really struggling with my ball striking with them. Fats, thins, and flipping. It’s incredibly frustrating. 

I had a set of Cobra Bio Cells with huge offset that my game had outgrown (so I thought) and I wanted to progress into better irons. The Bio Cells had stiff 85 gram shafts and they were not fit to me. I can’t help but think that the i210 shafts are too heavy and keep getting stuck behind me. The thing is, I hit them great on the monitor at Edwin Watts and they felt amazing. Since then, I’m hitting lots of weak fades, where my typical ball flight has always been a draw. I’m an 11 hdcp and I really wanted something that I could dial in more precision with. 

I don’t expect equipment to make me better, but I certainly don’t expect it to make me worse either. Is it typical to have such an adjustment period to new irons? My excitement for these new irons has really waned and I have far less confidence in hitting a green from 150 now than I did with the Bio Cells. What gives?

Edited by mahuwf
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True WRXers would’ve put them on BST after 9 holes...  

True story.. I picked up a cheap set of used P760's as an experiment that did not go well.    I had them listed by the 8th hole, got a flood of messages straight way, and they sold by the 13

You guys really give a set of irons several months if they are not performing?  I’ll go in the other direction on this one.  If I was really struggling with them I would very quickly be asking myself

You made a pretty drastic change. Don’t quit on them. There’s a learning curve even when switching just shafts and comparable heads. The curve is bigger when the change is so drastic. The other thing is during a fitting everything is nice and grooved, the lies are perfect. It sets the bar high, you’ll get there with them. 

Edited by MPAndreassi

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done

Give a new iron set 2-3 months, then you'll know one way or another. 

• Like 3

Epic Flash 9* -- Graphite Design AD-IZ 5s

Epic Flash 3W -- HZRDUS Smoke 70

Apex '19 3H -- Catalyst 70

Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 -- Modus 105

Mizuno MP18 MMC 5-PW -- Modus 120

New Level 50* -- Modus 120

Callaway MD4 54*,60* -- TT s200 ti

Taylormade Spider

That's a 30+ gram increase in shaft weight.  That's going to take a little time to get used to.  Don't give up yet!

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 10.5*(C4) - VA Composites Raijin 64 four

Callaway Epic 3w 15* - VA Composites Raijin 74 four

Callaway Epic 3h 19* - VA Composites Raijin 84 four

Mizuno MP32 (4-9) - Nippon NS Pro Modus3 120 (S)  --> Soon to be: Mizuno MP20 MMC (4,5), MB (6-9) - Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo (S)

Vokey SM8 46.10F, 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, 60.04T(61*) - DG Tour Issue S400

Bettinardi SS28 Slotback

Always give irons a couple months, unless they are a direct successor than it will take time to get used it!! 

• Like 1

Srixon Tour Issue Z785 (FL) 9*- Speeder TR 661 X 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - AD DI 7X 

Cobra Speedzone 3H* - KBS Hybrid Proto 95X

Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-PW KBS C Taper 130X 

Cleveland RTX4 - 52*56*60* - Tour Issue S400 

Scotty Special Select NP2 or Ping Anser Milled 2 

You are basically trying to relearn how to play irons given how different they are.  If your previous set was close in specs and shaft weight, less time.  But as others have said, that is a pretty drastic change.  I210s are great irons heads, so just give it time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple Leaf Dormie Headcovers

Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

Titleist TS3 16.5* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0

Edel 4-P w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TS-W S

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

That's why i am very hesitant to change my irons (11+ years). One day, i felt like i'm determined. But then, I think what if i struggle? More than this, what's the point? Or, it could be a fitting issue. Did you go back to the simulator and hit YOUR irons, not the irons for fitting? Also, many people, including me, hit much better with a square setup of simulator. 

• Like 1

IDK, I'm gonna go the other way here.  A lot of times, people play what they "think" they should be playing instead of what they WANT to play.  I have tried this, like you with the i210.  I figured a more forgiving iron with more help all over the face would surely make this game easier.  Nope.  I didn't like the way they felt after a few rounds, I didn't love the look, and I started getting all sorts of uncomfortable.  I don't think it takes long to know if something will work for you or not, I have picked up other sets and put them in play with ease, like my current set of Z785s.  It doesn't mean you can't or won't make them work, but sometimes, things just don't.  

• Like 3

PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* PX HZRDUS Smoke yellow 6.0 63

Srixon F85 15* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 80s

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12F, 58/12K  TI S400

Odyssey Black Series TD 1w  34"

Snell MTB black

Do you know the lie angle of the set you were fitted to, and how different this is to your old set? I had a horrible lie angle fitting once that made great clubs unplayable for me. A simple adjustment and all was resolved. 

To echo everyone else's thoughts.. you have made a massive jump in shaft weight as well as a smaller, less forgiving head. Hopefully you adjust and start striking it well. If not, you wouldn't be the first person to be fitted to clubs you can't consistently hit well. Big difference between fitting indoors on mats and taking clubs into the real world. 

Edited by bombs
  • Like 1

d: G410+ | f: M3 |  h: Epic | i: ZX7 | w: RTX4 | p: SpiderX | b: ProV1

My P7MCs were the first like actual irons fitting I'd ever done - and were pretty considerably different than my previous set. Way heavier shaft (105s to 125s), longer, flatter and heavier swing weight.

First range session after they arrived was ... a disaster. Dead shanks like 2 of every 3 swings. I was like "WTF?" Called up my fitter and she was like "Keep working with them - it'll take some time."

Took about 5 or 6 range sessions before everything clicked and now they're just amazing. Just took me a good bit to get used to the weight. I say keep working with them for a bit. 

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 18°

Titleist TS2H 21°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey SM8 50°, 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Custom Phantom X8

#TeamJumboMax

Don’t be afraid to use their 90 day warranty - I got fit into a set of p790s, and the shaft was all wrong (hit it far too high out on the course, and spin was off as well). Went back, tried other head and shaft combos and am now loving the ones I got 2nd time around. You get 3 goes at getting it right at any Worldwide Golf affiliate. Fittings can be wrong, particularly when you only hit a 7 iron off a mat.

This may appear unkind, but you asked “what gives?”

The clue lies in the phrase “fats, thins, and flips.”  Apparently, the Cobras lived up to their promise and “improved your game” to the extent you could achieve a near single digit handicap without learning to strike the ball properly.

Monitors working off of mats tend to obscure the ill effects of the swing of the 92% of golfers who strike the ground before the ball: fats, thins, and flips.

• Like 4

I hope you adjust  to them.  But.  I’ll be the opposing view and tell you that it never happens for me.  If I don’t get on with it inside the first day , it’s never going to happen.  For me it’s opposite, I can try to go to a lighter shaft and may hit them ok for a round , maybe. But inevitably the “ who knows where it’s going “ miss will come in.  I just had this happen.  I swapped my old standby modus 130 into the same NEW heads I was struggling with . I swapped the shafts on Friday night and Saturday morning I shot a 3 birdie round where I hit 15 greens .  This after 5 weeks of poor scores , greens missed etc.   

so for ME , if it doesn’t work , it’s doesn’t work.  No sense in changing YOU  to suit a club.  

• Like 3

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

8 hours ago, bombs said:

True story.. I picked up a cheap set of used P760's as an experiment that did not go well. 

I had them listed by the 8th hole, got a flood of messages straight way, and they sold by the 13th.

Saw them re-listed again three weeks later. Pretty sure they were cursed.

Back in my putter collecting / hoeing days I sold or traded MANY putters during their maiden round.  Lol. Walking and playing leaves bst time between shots. For sure !  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

12 hours ago, mahuwf said:

Just before Christmas I got fit into a set of i210 with the Project X stiff shafts and I’m really struggling with my ball striking with them. Fats, thins, and flipping. It’s incredibly frustrating. 

I had a set of Cobra Bio Cells with huge offset that my game had outgrown (so I thought) and I wanted to progress into better irons. The Bio Cells had stiff 85 gram shafts and they were not fit to me. I can’t help but think that the i210 shafts are too heavy and keep getting stuck behind me. The thing is, I hit them great on the monitor at Edwin Watts and they felt amazing. Since then, I’m hitting lots of weak fades, where my typical ball flight has always been a draw. I’m an 11 hdcp and I really wanted something that I could dial in more precision with. 

I don’t expect equipment to make me better, but I certainly don’t expect it to make me worse either. Is it typical to have such an adjustment period to new irons? My excitement for these new irons has really waned and I have far less confidence in hitting a green from 150 now than I did with the Bio Cells. What gives?

It's the shaft change.  Increasing 35 grams takes time to adjust, and Project X is typically a stout shaft relative to flex rating.

I had the exact same thing happen to me  going from DG 105 to PX 6.0.  The PX just happened to be in a set of irons in wanted to buy, so I gave them a chance before swapping out, even though I knew they were probably more than I needed.  They have a fantastic feel and flight, but my swing lost consistency because I was working harder to get the best out of them.  Had the occasional fat, shank, which I never did before.  I simply was used to lighter, easier to swing clubs.  

Tldr - you may be able to make them work, but I would consider a swap to a shaft closer to what you are accustomed to.

Edited by morgan1819
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

True WRXers would’ve put them on BST after 9 holes...

This man speaks TRUTH!

• Haha 1

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra  Forged Tec Black SteelFiber i95cw R  
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12

This Week's Putter: Toulon Madison (plumbers neck)
 TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS/ ProV1

Going from GI or SGI irons to a player's CB or even a blade will be quite a change and will require a more demanding swing.  I think it is pretty much all in your head when you see the thinner topline and the smaller blade profile of the i210 at address.

You will have to get used to it or get lessons till your swing it at a point where your swing is compatible will all types of irons from the thinnest of blades to the chunkiest of SGIs.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I tried switching from S300's to Project X 5.5's and it was not a great experience for me.  The 5.5's just felt super hard to swing so I ditched those irons and went back to my old faithful's.  As others have already said, don't give up just yet.  It will take time and patience to get used to a new club!  

Titleist 913 D3 9.5* 

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18*

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Irons (5-E)

Cleveland CG12 50, 54 Callaway MD3 60

Odyssey Versa #2

4 minutes ago, hondarob said:

I tried switching from S300's to Project X 5.5's and it was not a great experience for me.  The 5.5's just felt super hard to swing so I ditched those irons and went back to my old faithful's.  As others have already said, don't give up just yet.  It will take time and patience to get used to a new club!  

If you're used to the S300, the 5.5 will likely be too whippy.

Honestly I’ve done similar way back when. 
it is a adjustment period but i would say focus on your technique and less on the outcome. Once those two things build you’ll probably find the results after establishing your foundation with them. 
DONT OVERTHINK SHYTE 💪🏻

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Cleveland launcher dst 3w/ diamana red board s 

Nike vrs covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Nike VR forged 52-56 / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ red pure grip 

Thanks for all the input. These are the first irons I've ever had fit to me, so I'm trying to figure out how much leash these should have (recognizing the weights are substantially different).

Also perhaps potentially relevant: in the Bio Cells, I had midsize grips. The i210s have standard. Could this also be a reason I've gotten super "handsy" with these? My fitter said I'm right on the line between standard and midsize and like I said, I hit them really well in the fitting so we left the standard on there. Does grip size make more than just a marginal difference here?

Edited by mahuwf
32 minutes ago, mahuwf said:

Thanks for all the input. These are the first irons I've ever had fit to me, so I'm trying to figure out how much leash these should have (recognizing the weights are substantially different).

Also perhaps potentially relevant: in the Bio Cells, I had midsize grips. The i210s have standard. Could this also be a reason I've gotten super "handsy" with these? My fitter said I'm right on the line between standard and midsize and like I said, I hit them really well in the fitting so we left the standard on there. Does grip size make more than just a marginal difference here?

Was the fitting on grass or mats? bet mats, not a real true picture. plus 35 gram heavier shafts kinda skeptical.

My opinion is that...

IF you already have swing problems to begin with, new set of irons wouldnt help much with that, although most of us here, including myself, would ignore that and keep trying to find improvements.

IF your swing was semi dialed in to start with, and new set of irons doesnt not improve your ball striking or any improve in any other parameters like consistency, distance, height, etc,  then I say its a bad fit and need to revisit your clubs choices.

Too often, I see players having to adjust to their clubs to a point where their swing is no longer the same as before...

Sometimes that can be GOOD thing, but more often than not, it can lead you down a dark dark swing path and into the unknown.

For what its worth, PING irons are either love it or hate it for most people. Regardless of model I tried and I tried most of them (Eye2, Rapture, Anser, i20, S55, i25, iBlade, i500, Blue Print, i210), PING irons always take a bit of adjustment for me. 

Maybe its the head shape, sole design, etc, but its different enough to take some gettin used to.