2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

On 2/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, SeaIsland said:

Your position is precisely why I made this post and remain indecisive. The rule of thumb should be, "hit the most forgiving club you can..." and I intellectually subscribe to that. In the ZX5 vs. ZX7 case, I stated that I saw little to no difference in forgiveness, but I saw a difference in terms of distance, given loft differences (which I should have), dispersion, spin (short irons) and aesthetics, which were better in the Zx7's and notable (I think). That said, height differences were insignificant (29-30 with 7 irons), so does spin matter?  I wish I knew, because I did not have the opportunity to hit the shafts I think I want (MMTs) in either head. I only had Recoil F3s as an option (to try) and from everything I've heard, the MMTs are lower spin and lower launching than the F3s (I wish I could have tried F4s). My guess is, the differences across all are negligible, but as a club junkie, these are the things that keep me up at night. Obviously, I'm overthinking it at my HC (5-8)!  I thought I hated the idea of a combo set. Maybe I don't anymore. The Srixon 4 iron Utility makes sense to me regardless of iron choice. For the same reasons, I'm thinking the 5 iron in the Zx5 makes sense too (higher launching, longer). But I'm leaning toward ZX7's otherwise because I didn't experience a forgiveness difference, I can adjust to the gaps (distance) and frankly, they look and feel better. Thanks for your comment. 

I am wondering about the MMT’s as well.  Have you hit them?  How do the compare with say Modus 120’s?

3 hours ago, MattUtah said:

Tried ZX5 and ZX7 and the 5 felt a lot more forgiving to me. Anyone saying they’re the same hits the center of the clubface a lot better and more regularly than I do 😃. I don’t think people are exaggerating the 7s forgiveness but I think the 5 just has a massive sweet spot for how great looking it is. 

I bought the ZX5 and really like them. I feel they’re easier than the Apex19s I had been playing. 

Yeah, I found the same. But they're very comparable at address relative to their forgivenesses

On 2/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, Micrys2 said:

I am wondering about the MMT’s as well.  Have you hit them?  How do the compare with say Modus 120’s?

The Modus 120s are a great shaft. Generally no complaints other than a higher ball flight than is optimal for the windy conditions I often play in. I never really noticed it much until I hit the MMTs which delivered a noticeably flatter ball flight for me. I have hit both the 95s and 105s in stiff. I'm leaning toward the 95s only because if I'm going to make a change from the 120's (really 114g) to a lighter shaft for more speed, then a 9g difference doesn't seem like much of a leap to me (and most of my old-guy friends are even lighter than 95g.) I may go 105s... still undecided/coin flip. In terms of feel: someone compared the MMTs in stiff to the SF I95s in a regular flex. I would say that from a flex perspective that may be true (because the SFs in the i95 stiff are stout), but the MMTs felt smoother to me. I'll say this: I could feel the MMTs kick with little effort, so I'm guessing the bend profile suits me. The 120s are tip stiff and butt soft. The MMTs are more mid, which (for me) explains an overall smoother feel. 

Good review, last few season I played a z585 (4-6) and a z785 7-P combo set. This year I ordered the ZX5/7 in the same split. After hitting them I decided that the ZX7 is as forgiving as last years Z585s. I actually dropped the ZX5s and ordered the 5-6 in ZX7s. I also play the ZX Utility in 20 and 23*. as my 3-4 irons and they are incredible as well. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

6 hours ago, SeaIsland said:

The Modus 120s are a great shaft. Generally no complaints other than a higher ball flight than is optimal for the windy conditions I often play in. I never really noticed it much until I hit the MMTs which delivered a noticeably flatter ball flight for me. I have hit both the 95s and 105s in stiff. I'm leaning toward the 95s only because if I'm going to make a change from the 120's (really 114g) to a lighter shaft for more speed, then a 9g difference doesn't seem like much of a leap to me (and most of my old-guy friends are even lighter than 95g.) I may go 105s... still undecided/coin flip. In terms of feel: someone compared the MMTs in stiff to the SF I95s in a regular flex. I would say that from a flex perspective that may be true (because the SFs in the i95 stiff are stout), but the MMTs felt smoother to me. I'll say this: I could feel the MMTs kick with little effort, so I'm guessing the bend profile suits me. The 120s are tip stiff and butt soft. The MMTs are more mid, which (for me) explains an overall smoother feel. 

I asked you once before but perhaps my post was too long. Or maybe I missed the reason but why are you (seemingly) stuck on going to lighter shafts ?

Surely not for a couple of yards ? At the risk of possibly worse dispersion ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I don’t know if lighter shafts necessary equate to worse dispersion any more than heavier shafts equate to better dispersion.  I think a lot of that depends on tempo, strength, and familiarity.  I get that going from a 130gm shaft to a 95gm shaft abruptly could likely cause dispersion problems.  However I am convinced many good athletes can adapt to shaft weight and be on the correct plane regardless.  I would argue that if you replicate swing weight, that is more important to dispersion than replicating total weight.

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 2

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

9 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

I don’t know if lighter shafts necessary equate to worse dispersion any more than heavier shafts equate to better dispersion.  I think a lot of that depends on tempo, strength, and familiarity.  I get that going from a 130gm shaft to a 95gm shaft abruptly could likely cause dispersion problems.  However I am convinced many good athletes can adapt to shaft weight and be on the correct plane regardless.  I would argue that if you replicate swing weight, that is more important to dispersion than replicating total weight.

You're probably right but a good golfer shouldn't have to adapt to his equipment. It should be the other way 'round.

And maybe he'd be just fine with lighter shafts. Dunno1.gif Certainly possible. He just seems to be "stuck" on going lighter and I'm not sure why.

• Like 2

Ping Glide Pro 48*

I got a solid deal on eBay for a NIB set of 4-PW with modus 120 stiff. Shaft is a little soft and light compared to my normal go-tos, but these irons feel as good as anything on the market for nearly half the price (eBay price anyway). 

V sole forgiveness is real. 27 holes in and there is no doubt that these kick through the turf and forgive the slightly turf heavy contact. 

I was somewhat concerned about the spin rate reading other reviews but these spin as much as any modern iron does. Maybe a little more. No trouble hitting towering iron shots that sit on the first hop. Yardage seems to be mostly consistent with my other clubs. 

There is absolutely more forgiveness than you’d expect by their looks alone. The hype is real on these. First time ever hitting a Srixon club and I’m very impressed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I asked you once before but perhaps my post was too long. Or maybe I missed the reason but why are you (seemingly) stuck on going to lighter shafts ?

Surely not for a couple of yards ? At the risk of possibly worse dispersion ?

In my case, definitely not just a few yards (more like 10) and a much flatter ball flight with the shafts I'm selecting, which is desirable for me, as I play in the wind a lot. Is it because the shafts are lighter or because the shafts are a better overall fit for me than the 120s? Should I care? My iron swing speed increases are minor, but they are enough to make a difference that works for me. Anecdotally, I'm in my 60's and I play with guys my age and into their 70s. Many of them are retired and play 200 rounds a year. I play around 110. All of them are playing graphite shafts much lighter than I am considering and they like where they're at. That said, when I pick up a 70g stick, I don't even want to try it. My comfort zone is 95+... so I'm stuck deciding between 95 and 105. I'm going out to hit them on grass again today and make a decision.

2 hours ago, SeaIsland said:

In my case, definitely not just a few yards (more like 10) and a much flatter ball flight with the shafts I'm selecting, which is desirable for me, as I play in the wind a lot. Is it because the shafts are lighter or because the shafts are a better overall fit for me than the 120s? Should I care? My iron swing speed increases are minor, but they are enough to make a difference that works for me. Anecdotally, I'm in my 60's and I play with guys my age and into their 70s. Many of them are retired and play 200 rounds a year. I play around 110. All of them are playing graphite shafts much lighter than I am considering and they like where they're at. That said, when I pick up a 70g stick, I don't even want to try it. My comfort zone is 95+... so I'm stuck deciding between 95 and 105. I'm going out to hit them on grass again today and make a decision.

OK. Everybody's different but irons are "precision" instruments, mean to consistently hit the same iron the same distance.

I'm older than you are and 9 years ago I spent at least 5 different LM sessions with my G20s. I had chosen the head and needed to choose the shaft.

Tried 5 or 6 different shafts and weights. The Dynamic Gold S300s were easily the most consistent distance-wise (although a couple of yards shorter than the lightweight ones) and the right-to-left dispersion was noticeably tighter as well.

I'm 9 years older now (& older than you) and 1.5 years post heart operation and I have no trouble swinging them for 18 holes.

Being the equipment junkie I am I've tried to replace them a number of times and can't seem to. :classic_rolleyes:

But you seem very knowledgeable and considering pretty much everything so I'm sure you'll be comfortable with you choice, whatever it is.

Good luck. 👍

• Like 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

OK. Everybody's different but irons are "precision" instruments, mean to consistently hit the same iron the same distance.

I'm older than you are and 9 years ago I spent at least 5 different LM sessions with my G20s. I had chosen the head and needed to choose the shaft.

Tried 5 or 6 different shafts and weights. The Dynamic Gold S300s were easily the most consistent distance-wise (although a couple of yards shorter than the lightweight ones) and the right-to-left dispersion was noticeably tighter as well.

I'm 9 years older now (& older than you) and 1.5 years post heart operation and I have no trouble swinging them for 18 holes.

Being the equipment junkie I am I've tried to replace them a number of times and can't seem to. :classic_rolleyes:

But you seem very knowledgeable and considering pretty much everything so I'm sure you'll be comfortable with you choice, whatever it is.

Good luck. 👍

Thanks... I'll let you know how it goes. I would only add this: A lot of fitters would say that you should go as light and as forgiving as you can --with "as you can" being the operative phrase. Based on some of the data I've seen, about half of us won't benefit from a lighter weight shaft (not a fit). But I think I'm in the other half. I'm over six feet and 225 pounds. I have no problem swinging the 120s... nothing to do with fatigue. Just want to play better and keep my distances (minimum). This change may result in a full club difference for me...

• Thanks 1

• pga43 pinned this topic
On 3/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, nsxguy said:

Good luck. 👍

I'm in my early 40's and have been playing Ping AWT shafts (around 107 grams) for 10 years and I'm a 4 handicap. I don't believe heavier = tighter dispersion. I play with a little more forward shaft lean at impact than I probably should and these shafts give me a little more height and spin than something like a S300/S400. 

2 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

I'm in my early 40's and have been playing Ping AWT shafts (around 107 grams) for 10 years and I'm a 4 handicap. I don't believe heavier = tighter dispersion. I play with a little more forward shaft lean at impact than I probably should and these shafts give me a little more height and spin than something like a S300/S400. 

I'm not sure I believe it or not, but that isn't what I said.

I said the heavier shafts, over a number of tests, were clearly better dispersion-wise and consistent distance-wise,,,,,,,,,, for me.

But I did do the shaft-to-shaft testing multiple times on different days.

IMO, even pros have "different" swings on different days. The difference between them and us is ours varies a lot more and a lot more often than their's do. :classic_wink:

That's why I do multiple tests over multiple days before I jump in.

Whatever works best for you is what you should play. 👍

• Like 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

On 2/21/2021 at 7:29 PM, llaw999 said:

Didn’t take long for Brooks koepka to win with the zx7.

Think I might need to order a set... cause you know... my game is so similar to Brooks’... 😂

If you’re ordering irons based on BKs success with em you better get on those Mizuno Tours! Haha 

I know ur kidding around. Couldn’t resist. 

I hit the 5 & 7s in the simulator at my local golf store. Didn’t like how much offset the 5 had so focused more on the 7s. They felt really good. I’m a 10 and could easily play them. 

Edited by TiScape

If u want to try a lighter very stable steel shaft then give the Nippon Modus 105S a chance, they weigh 107 grams and they are the best shaft i have ever used. 

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Gaming a combo set 4/5/6 - ZX5, 7-PW ZX7.  Steelfiber 95 stiff.  Absolutely loving this set up.  I am blown away by the feel, distance, forgiveness, looks and ability to hit a variety of shots.  Although the lofts on the ZX7 are not as jacked as some others I have picked up a full club distance wise with this set up.  It's easy to see why they are so poplular.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, nsxguy said:

Good luck. 👍

I believe that shaft weight is a personal thing and isn't correlated to age or handicap.

I play a lot of golf with WRXers who is 10 years older than me. In his early 60s, he's always played better with heavier stiffer shafts.  They just work for him. I've always played better with lighter shafts.  Making it more confusing is I have a quick tempo, which you would think would be more conducive to lighter shafts, where he has a smoother tempo.  It's really about finding out what works best for you with no preconceived notions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

24 minutes ago, mantan said:

I believe that shaft weight is a personal thing and isn't correlated to age or handicap.

I play a lot of golf with WRXers who is 10 years older than me. In his early 60s, he's always played better with heavier stiffer shafts.  They just work for him. I've always played better with lighter shafts.  Making it more confusing is I have a quick tempo, which you would think would be more conducive to lighter shafts, where he has a smoother tempo.  It's really about finding out what works best for you with no preconceived notions.

I'm 6'4 and 275 with an aggressive downward move.  I used to play heavier shafts but have gotten used to the Steelfiber 95s.  It is a lighter shaft but I can go after it and the dispersion is outstanding

thanks for the great post. I really appreciate your insight. I found a lot of value in your comments. 

I agree regarding the spin comments. I have the 5s and my spin in the stock configuration was too low. In response my fitter weakened the lofts by 2*, 1* weaker than the stock 7s, and the spin profile normalized. Iron for iron I lost a full club of distance, but gained more stability and tighter dispersion. 

For what it’s worth I’m so bad I don’t even have a handicap 😀. Good shots with both irons were awesome, and I would’ve chosen the 7s in a heartbeat. However when I’d miss, and I can miss big, the additional ball speed of the 5s saved me. The results of horrific toe strikes were materially better with the 5s....but I still prefer everything else about the 7s 👍

Edited by Cactus Jack
Typ

2 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

thanks for the great post. I really appreciate your insight. I found a lot of value in your comments. 

I agree regarding the spin comments. I have the 5s and my spin in the stock configuration was too low. In response my fitter weakened the lofts by 2*, 1* weaker than the stock 7s, and the spin profile normalized. Iron for iron I lost a full club of distance, but gained more stability and tighter dispersion. 

For what it’s worth I’m so bad I don’t even have a handicap 😀. Good shots with both irons were awesome, and I would’ve chosen the 7s in a heartbeat. However when I’d miss, and I can miss big, the additional ball speed of the 5s saved me. The results of horrific toe strikes were materially better with the 5s....but I still prefer everything else about the 7s 👍

Playing a round today with my son (one of life's simple pleasures) and going to bring along an Apex 21 Pro 7 iron to see if I can compare spin and stopping power with my ZX7 7 iron.  I have not had trouble holding greens with the X7s which are shafted with Steelfiber 95 Stiff.  I have also noticed that the Apex 21 Pro shafted with MMT 95 Stiff stops and actually spins back a bit.  Different shafts so it wont be apples to apples but it will be interesting

• Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 5:12 PM, MitchCumstein said:

I'm a 2 handicap and use ZX5 5-AW.  

It's just a game and use what you want obviously but I personally feel most should use more forgiving irons. 

Forgiveness is WAY overrated. For every shot it may give you, it takes away the same; if not more. Unless you are is desperate need of distance, play what feels and looks good to you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

10 hours ago, Lobber said:

Playing a round today with my son (one of life's simple pleasures) and going to bring along an Apex 21 Pro 7 iron to see if I can compare spin and stopping power with my ZX7 7 iron.  I have not had trouble holding greens with the X7s which are shafted with Steelfiber 95 Stiff.  I have also noticed that the Apex 21 Pro shafted with MMT 95 Stiff stops and actually spins back a bit.  Different shafts so it wont be apples to apples but it will be interesting

Had a great 5 hour round(slow play sux) but since I was with my oldest son it was all ok.  I was able to get a good sense of the X7 and Apex21 Pro 7 irons. Distance was similar in my hands which is 165-170.  Both irons held the green but the Apex 21 spun more and actually stopped quicker including a few that spun back. Feel

was Excellent on both irons and I would be splitting hairs to say one was softer than the other.  I know Srixon

are said to be Endo forged and I am

not sure who forges the Apex Pro 21 but as I said it would be very hard to say one was softer than the other.  
of I had to choose between the two I would have a really difficult time doing so.  They are both that good!  Hope this is useful 

After a week long buddies golf trip to play my new 5-7 ZX5 8-GW ZX7 set I have to say I couldn't be happier. I got them with the 105 Modus stiff shafts. I had the ZX7 8-PW bent 1 degree strong. 

What I learned is that the ZX5 5 iron is HOT and forgiving. It is as long as my Taylormade M1 3 hybrid when I step on it. I have to test out and figure out if I need a ZX5 4 iron or ZX utility to gap to my 5 wood. 

The ZX7s have such a great soft feel at contact. The ZX5s feel remind me of my previous set of Adams XTD forged in that respect which I like. 

I was surprised the ZX7 GW was a blade. From address it looks like everything else. 

I'm about a club and a half longer whether its lofting or whatever caused it. The trajectory matched what I was getting from my old irons though. 

Overall I love them and I'm aware it's still the honeymoon phase. 

39 minutes ago, Ripper859 said:

I would like an explanation for this nonsense. How does forgiveness take away shots?

Not sure I have an explanation but I will say for me I play better with a players iron as opposed to game

improvement.  It’s not that I can’t play GI irons or would not game them it’s that I simply have more confidence playing a thinner soled iron with less offset   

• Haha 1

Great write-up!  

I recently went through testing of some similar irons (not ZX7's: I can't afford those!) but MMC MP20s vs JPX 921 Forged.  I found I was striking the MMCs more consistently and they just felt better: great height, smooth, powerful, and plenty of distance.  when I made a solid swing they carry 175 and a great swing 180 for the 7-iron. I don't need more distance than that.  Most of all, they were consistent, easy to hit, forgiving, and also easy to dial the speed up or down with.  The 921s wanted to draw more often than not, for whatever reason, and I missed the face occasionally. I am not anywhere close to your handicap yet the premium player's clubs just suit my swing more.  

I keep trying GI style irons and haven't found one that was as consistent as the MMC.  The think I really notice about this iron: feedback is incredible. I can tell immediately how and why I missed the face; there is no place to hide.  Toe thin miss? Most likely I was a little quick and came across the ball rather than through it.  A little fat and high on the face?  Too steep in my backswing.  Draw? Not patient enough to let my hips clear. 

I would love to try the ZX7 as I am a big fan of Srixon. 

1 hour ago, Ripper859 said:

I would like an explanation for this nonsense. How does forgiveness take away shots?

I can't speak for the author, but I find that GI irons tend to fly further and that misses aren't as short and therefore further offline. For example, if I miss, I often miss pretty hard left and long  The other day I hit a pretty strong draw on a 195 yard par 3 with my 5-iron that flew 210, right into a hazard.  The last thing I need is a iron to fly 15 yards past my normal distance because I didn't lose distance due to the iron being more forgiving and hotter.   I rarely miss "short and straight".  If I miss, I am offline ,and run into that "the longer you hit the ball, the more trouble you get into" scenario.  Is the same reason a guy driving 330 yards who is offline is in a lot more trouble than someone hitting 250. Short misses are playable: long misses left or right are often result in big strokes added.  

• Haha 3