Is 3-hrs the "sweet spot" for golf regardless of # of holes played?

MelloYello

The fast players all seem to want to play 18-holes in about 3 hours. The slow players seem to drag 9-holes up into the 2.5- to 3-hr range. And still a lot of us are in between and yet reach a point mid-way through the back-9 where the idea of golf as a finite endeavor begins to gain some traction in ours minds. 

It kind of seems that no matter who you are, 3-hours is about the ideal time to spend on the course regardless of how fast/slow your overall pace is and how many holes you might cover in that 3-hour stretch. 

Yesterday, I walked a full 18 after work and it only took about 3 hours. I was surprised it wasn't completely dark when I finished. However, just days before I had played a little 9-hole work tourney that routinely stretches nearly 3 hours. I found both to be great fun even though one was 18 and the other was just 9. 

I know some people are unlucky and deal with absolutely dreadful pace of play issues at public courses in big cities. That's surely no fun. But for the rest of us, maybe there's some solace in this idea of enjoying 3-hours no matter how that 3-hours is spent? 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I'm fine with playing just 9 holes if it's all there's time for (like walking 9 with a buddy after work). Otherwise, I always want to play 18 holes -- and I want it to take 4 hours. To me, 3 hours usually isn't enough time to play 18 holes, and there's no way I'd want 9 holes to take 3 hours. 9 holes should take half the time it takes to play 18 holes -- and any third hour is better spent having a beer with friends at the clubhouse.

• Like 1

If you ask my wife, the answer is "yes." 

If you ask me... honestly, time has no relevance to me when I'm on the golf course. I'm pretty much happy to hang out all day long - unless darkness or a storm is impending.  

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

56 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

My ideal round of golf is 18 holes. Time is only a factor when I’m sitting around and waiting between every shot. If I’m in a 4some and the course is crowded and the round takes 4-4.5 hours, so be it. If there is one thing I hate in relation to golf, it is not finishing a round of golf. If I only have time to play 9, I would rather just not play. 

To each his own, I guess. 

I have a friend who never considers 9-hole, EVER. 

He and I have played tons together but only across 18. I don't know if he himself has ever played 9 anywhere. I can't relate to that. I gotta have as much golf as I can get. I will sneak 9-holes in anytime I can. 

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

40 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

I'm fine with playing just 9 holes if it's all there's time for (like walking 9 with a buddy after work). Otherwise, I always want to play 18 holes -- and I want it to take 4 hours. To me, 3 hours usually isn't enough time to play 18 holes, and there's no way I'd want 9 holes to take 3 hours. 9 holes should take half the time it takes to play 18 holes -- and any third hour is better spent having a beer with friends at the clubhouse.

For me, I'm probably one of those guys that'd just keep playing forever. I don't really count holes. 9, 18, 27...it's all the same to me. I'm always game for more if the sun's up. 

Again though, I'm definitely NOT suggesting it's ever fun to just sit around in the fairway wait on slow players. I'm shocked these 2.5-hr work tourneys are as enjoyable as they are. I think 4somes just take awhile sometimes, especially when you're dealing with mid- and high-handicappers. But that's okay. It's been really fun. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

There's NO way I care to play 18 holes of golf in 3hrs.  My pace is 4hrs-4.15hrs and 2 cigars.  I can play faster, only I don't enjoy it as much.  Southern CA tee sheets are pretty packed especially on weekends.  Added reason for me to pay $100+, not as many people and even fewer slow pokes.  

• Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

3 hrs is pretty fast for 18 holes. I have played rounds that fast many times, even as foursomes...But you are hoofing it a bit.

3:30 is surprisingly easy to do if you are decent players, play ready golf and don't dilly dally.

I enjoy playing in 3:30 and then having a couple of drinks after round.

4:30 plus drinks ---Now you have to fight the wife

• Haha 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Honestly I don't really care about time of the round.  I've played 4 1/2 hour rounds with buddies where the course is nearly wide open and we establish from the get go that it's just too nice outside and we have nowhere else to go or anything else to do so we are going to take our time.  What bugs me the most is when you get going a few holes and establish a rhythm but then catch up to a slow group and have to wait.  If there are no groups pressing behind, I will generally just wait until I can see them teeing off on the next hole to play.  I'd rather wait the 20 mins or so and reset expectations and slow down our play than play the stop and go game.  

For me, 45 mins on the range and 9h is a good day.  I like hitting balls more than waiting for others on the course and get a bit torqued out when I have to start waiting.  4.5h rounds sound like a nightmare to me unless I can find something to distract myself with.

As much as I'm sure others feel differently, I got other things to do.  So get the golf in and off to another hobby or steak on the bbq.  It isn't going to taste any better because I spent another hour on the course...

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

I expect to finish my round in around 4-4.5 hours. If I am playing by myself, if no one is behind me, I will take my sweet time and hit multiple balls. If I am with others, so long as we aren't waiting forever at every single tee box, I don't mind a slower pace.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

2 hours ago, jholz said:

If you ask my wife, the answer is "yes." 

If you ask me... honestly, time has no relevance to me when I'm on the golf course. I'm pretty much happy to hang out all day long - unless darkness or a storm is impending.  

Does that include driving time to and from the course?

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I'm good with 90 minutes 3 times a week. My solo rounds are between an hour and 90 minutes. 9 holes 3+ balls, power cart.

If playing with folks for 18, then 3-4 us good, 5 is painful.

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

6 hours ago, MelloYello said:

To each his own, I guess. 

I have a friend who never considers 9-hole, EVER. 

He and I have played tons together but only across 18. I don't know if he himself has ever played 9 anywhere. I can't relate to that. I gotta have as much golf as I can get. I will sneak 9-holes in anytime I can. 

Back in the day, when I played tournament golf, I practically lived at the course. I would play any number of holes I could get in when I could get them. I’ve played more 9 hole rounds than I care to admit. It was a means to practice on the course. 

The last several years, my mindset of golf has changed and I play purely for recreation now. For me, I don’t enjoy only playing 9. it just doesn’t feel like I’ve played golf when I finish. Since I don’t feel the need to “practice” anymore, because I no longer play competitive golf and only play for fun, 9 holes just feels incomplete. If there’s not enough daylight to finish a full round, I’d rather just do something else. 

whatever floats everyone’s boat. I certainly do not begrudge anyone for enjoying a 9, like I said, I’ve been there and done that. Until I get too old to finish 18, I’ll stick to a full round. At that point, if I am capable of playing 9, I will enjoy it then. 

Edited by bigred90gt

For a 4 some, 3 to 3.5 hours is ideal.  All the golfers I play with whether they are friends or family play fast.  I am considered very fast as well.  I mean c'mon, how long does it take to find your target line, go through your pre shot routine, then pull the trigger.  Slow golfers are the bane to my existence.  I especially love the guys and gals that take forever to line up their putts then spend too long over the ball before actually hitting their putts.  What about the golfers who waste time writing down their scores or screwing around after they get off the green.  It all adds up.  I like that golf has become more inclusive now, but with what I call Corona golf, it gets ridiculous especially on weekends.  I don't know about you guys, but anything over 4.5 hours is insane. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours is on the quick side for most, probably not close to a reasonable expectation if you are getting a tee time and playing any normal weekend round on a course with other golfers and a reasonably filled tee sheet. 

I grew up playing 9 hole courses until I was 15, nothing wrong with 9 holes. And 1.5 hours was about right for me and my dad walking or with friends later for 9. Wife and I played 9 tonight, had to wait on a couple of holes and played through both groups, took 1.5 hours. 

This weekend I’ll go with friends and if the course is busy we’ll have to adjust our expectations to about 2.0 hours per nine and that’s life and not unreasonable, IMO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

My ideal round of golf is 18 holes. Time is only a factor when I’m sitting around and waiting between every shot. If I’m in a 4some and the course is crowded and the round takes 4-4.5 hours, so be it. . 

BOOM !!!

Played in 3:15 once a few years ago and walked off 18 thinking "We're done ? Already ? Even in a cart i felt like I was running around the course.

Got used to a comfortable 3:45-4 and I'm fine with that.

My group was last in a comp yesterday and we finished 2 holes behind the previous group.

We were actually right on their tail for 12 holes and then it was "Wait, where did they go ?" :classic_laugh:

It kinda sorta felt slow but I looked at my watch when we finished the 18th and it was 4 hours on the dot. Dunno1.gif

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

For me, anything around the 4 hour mark is good. I now am willing to drive an extra 30 minutes to play at my buddies club where we finish in 3 hours all the time. It is amazing the feeling that you feel when you essentially have the course to your self. I would much rather do that and have lunch in the same amount of time it takes me to play a course closer to me and play 18 holes. Average time anywhere is is about 4 1/2 hours now. Crazy but true.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm lucky enough to be able to play in the morning weekdays (work afternoons) so while the kids have been in school its been a large bucket (45min) and 9 holes in about 1:30-1:45 depending on weather, traffic, and if I'm working on something.  

Saturdays I'll play at my favorite course which is almost always packed and a 4.5 hour round...I'm ok with that pace, it's a tough course and a stacked tee sheet.  My fastest time around that track is 4:15 on weekday morning with questionable weather flying solo and playing well.

Sundays are reserved for afternoon lazy rounds with my 5yo son.  Neither of us care how long we're there, it's just the two of us hanging out.....until we get home and momma isn't happy lol.

Today was the first weekday I had with the kids not in school, so I tried to get a full 18 in walking....played as well as one could in 15-20mph wind, finished in 3:28 and felt like I ran between shots and rushed everything.....not a fan of that.

I think 4-4.5 hours for 18-hole is ideal for me. I can enjoy the conversation and maybe take sometime between the shots to "space out". 

I once played in a foursome and clocked in at 3.5 hours. The marshal on the 18th hole told us to speed up. We obliged because we were one of the earlier groups and should move as quickly as possible. In the end, the round did feel a bit rushed. 

14 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

3 hrs is pretty fast for 18 holes. I have played rounds that fast many times, even as foursomes...But you are hoofing it a bit.

3:30 is surprisingly easy to do if you are decent players, play ready golf and don't dilly dally.

I enjoy playing in 3:30 and then having a couple of drinks after round.

4:30 plus drinks ---Now you have to fight the wife

Yeah tell me about it, especially that last part.  I don't drink but I get you.  After about 5 hours, I always get a text from the wife asking when I'm coming home and if everything's ok.  Party foul!!  LOL. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

6 hours ago, STL_Baller said:

I'm lucky enough to be able to play in the morning weekdays (work afternoons) so while the kids have been in school its been a large bucket (45min) and 9 holes in about 1:30-1:45 depending on weather, traffic, and if I'm working on something.  

Saturdays I'll play at my favorite course which is almost always packed and a 4.5 hour round...I'm ok with that pace, it's a tough course and a stacked tee sheet.  My fastest time around that track is 4:15 on weekday morning with questionable weather flying solo and playing well.

Sundays are reserved for afternoon lazy rounds with my 5yo son.  Neither of us care how long we're there, it's just the two of us hanging out.....until we get home and momma isn't happy lol.

Today was the first weekday I had with the kids not in school, so I tried to get a full 18 in walking....played as well as one could in 15-20mph wind, finished in 3:28 and felt like I ran between shots and rushed everything.....not a fan of that.

Where you at bro?  I would love to find a course around here in the LA area where it only takes 4.5 hours on the weekends.  5 hours is the norm around here on every single course from early morning to about 3 pm on weekends of course. 

I enjoy being at the course for 5+ hour, but that should be 36 holes. 3:30 for a foursome is generally a slow relaxed pace. At a four hour pace, you should expect a visit from the pro. I have really been enjoying a 215-230 walking pace for 18 this year. Keeps the blood flowing so I’m nice and loose when I get to the ball. If I was stuck in a cart for a 5 hour round I would be so stiff I would need a full warm up on every tee box. 

• Like 1

I don't mind a 4-4.5 hour round at all. However, in my opinion, the number 18 is not sacred and I routinely dip out after 12-14 holes (which is made convenient by my course's layout) on weekdays unless I'm playing really well and/or need to post a score. Helps keep the mrs happy.

I'll take this one further and suggest that the slavish devotion to the 18-hole golf course doesn't make sense to me.  If you could have a great 15-hole course or a cramped 18-hole course, why wouldn't you want that? If the course isn't/won't be used in a USGA,  PGA, or NCAA context, it doesn't matter.

9 holes : 3 hours...........

im moving that in 18 holes. Unless I’m playing in a threesome and were all enjoying the round. Then it could extend itself to that time... for 18 but ain’t that much sightseeing in 9 holes. Lol 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.