Older guys.....Who's moved from mid 70g shaft to mid 60's weight class in their Fairway Woods?

RainShadow

Contemplating a TSi 16.5 FW and have a choice of Tensei AV Raw Blue in 65 or 75g.

I've always played 70g weight class shafts in my fairways, but am tempted to try the 65.

Current is a Atmos Blue TS 70 in a 17* Rogue.

Thoughts from those who've gone to a little lighter?

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I played 70 gram shafts in my FWs for years.  This year I switched to Taylormade Sim2 MaxD FWs with 45 gram shafts.  Both ball flight and distance have improved dramatically.  I thought the improvements might be due to the heads, so I through a 45 gram shaft in an old Exotics FW and saw the same results.  I am 59 with a driver swing speed of 105.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

Moved to lighter shafts for all clubs in the past year and results where positive. Noticeably less fatigued when playing multiple days in a row.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I bought the Exotics C721 fairways this yr with 46g shafts. I was concerned about the lighter shafts but the results were positive for me . I bought the C721 driver and the shaft I chose is lighter than I am use to and I like the lighter shaft in it too. My old driver Cobra F9 came with a light shaft and I didn't care for the balance of that combo. I bought a heavier shaft same flex and my results were better. I guess it depends on the total balance of the club and if the shaft profile fits your swing. 

I've always liked a heavier shaft but once I got use to a lighter shaft I think overall they are an improvement.

1 hour ago, denismcg said:

I played 70 gram shafts in my FWs for years.  This year I switched to Taylormade Sim2 MaxD FWs with 45 gram shafts.  Both ball flight and distance have improved dramatically.  I thought the improvements might be due to the heads, so I through a 45 gram shaft in an old Exotics FW and saw the same results.  I am 59 with a driver swing speed of 105.

I am 51 with the same swing speed and too play an old Exotics (XCG 5 21 deg 7 wood) fairway wood with a 45 gram shaft. It has been in my bag for I think about 9 years. Best club in my bag. My best feeling driver ever was a Cleveland Classic 290 with a lightweight shaft too. I think the lightweight shaft in the woods is great. 

$$$$

I'll provide contrast...

I've stuck with heavier shafts, going out of the way to find them.  Found an RIP Beta 90 to put in my 3w.  Love it.

Age 57, and if it's helpful info, lower back issues, though not to a debilitating level.

My compensation for age is going a bit lighter in swingweight.  I used to be D5-D6 even with steel, I've backed off of that a couple points or so.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Older guy, almost 60..

used to have 70+ GM shafts in my D/FW’s but as we get older I have moved into 60/50 GM weight class so I can generate the speeds needed and have even moved to a regular shaft in my Cobra driver ( Ventus 6R Velocore) which still gives me a baby fade, ha most of the time but let’s me use the shaft characteristics to help me with speed. My 3 /5 WD’s have a 55gm shaft PX even flow green which I really like as long as I don’t try and kill it.

‘Hope this helps.

I’m 62 and just went lighter at the start of the year.  Went down to 100g steel shafts in my irons.  Went down to a 5S Ventus Velocore Red in the driver.  The results were so good from that, I went to the 6S in the 3 wood.  Got MUCH better dispersion in both woods, better height in both, and distance is up by 10-15 yards on the driver and 15-20 on the 3 wood.  Still have a 70g series in the 5 wood.

I walk 9 or 18 3-5 times a week in the heat and hills of southwest PA, and it’s made the carry and the hike easier as well.

Edited by Duffer222
  • Like 1

I’m near the 70 and went from dg s300 to dg105 r in my irons. So far so good.  
went from a stiff tensi orange in a 410+ to  a ventus red 5r in a sim 10.5°.  The only stiff shaft in the bag any more is in my 410 5 wood.  It’s the standard ping alto s and it a lighter shaft if I’m not mistaken.   

I think you have a lot of fun ahead finding a combination that works for you.   You might initially try staying at the same stiffness in a lighter shaft, enjoy.   

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

Thanks for all the replies.

I've noticed that most MFG's have move to 60g class in their fairways as stock offerings.

I'm looking at 4wds, and  the Epic Speed, Tsi2 and SIM Max 3HL are on my radar. All of them have stock 60-65gm shafts.

So far the Callaway is leading the way (at least indoors, where I really struggle to swing well). HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g 

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

57, and went from am 80g RIP Phenom to a 65g Attas Coool, and probably picked up 15 yards.

Also just changed my irons from AMT White S300 to 95g Fuji Pro Iron, and have had good results in the 2 rounds I've played with them.

100-105 with the driver.

• Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Tried to go lighter, did not increase speed. Seems to encourage too much of an arms swing with me. Went to a fitting to try it again and I was most consistent and club speed was fastest with 70g driver and 75-80g fairway shafts. 

i get worse dispersion and less speed with lighter shafts. Fitter showed me all the data and said there are plenty of players who will swing better and faster with more overall weight and I am one of them. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Ok, 2 range sessions and 2 rounds and I’m not feeling it with the lighter shaft.

like the epic speed head, though, so returning it for one with the im10 in 70g.

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

I will be 59 in Oct. and I still use 80g shafts in my FWs and don't plan on going lighter any time soon. I have to admit, I am in fairly good shape for my age. Driver CHS 110+/-.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

On 7/5/2021 at 8:01 AM, RainShadow said:

Contemplating a TSi 16.5 FW and have a choice of Tensei AV Raw Blue in 65 or 75g.

I've always played 70g weight class shafts in my fairways, but am tempted to try the 65.

The raw blue 65 is fine in terms of weight but it’s weak to flex.  My driver SS is only low 90s and I’m going to have to replace the reg flex blue 65 in my tsi2 3-wood with a stiff.  When demoing on trackman it seemed fine, but in real golf on the course it’s soft. 

• Thanks 1

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:01 AM, RainShadow said:

I may have something worthwhile for you. Earlier this year I got TSi metals. Adjusted to 15* and 18*. With the Tensei AV Blue. 65g.

First time I hit a 65 - for years its been 70 or 75. But I'm in my early 60s now, and my game is changing a bit. 

Saw a bit of difference ... probably 5 - 10 extra yards (sometimes). However, slightly less control. Missing a few more fairways than usual.

Two additional comments. First, I'm still getting used to a weight I've never played before. When I learn to optimize, I may get more distance and less dispersion. Second, it definitely feels a little different, but really, the differences in both feel and performance are minor. And that was going from 75 to 65. You are talking about going from 70 to 65, a very small variance. Don't expect to see or feel any dramatic difference.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

@RainShadow I have been playing TS2 16.5 at D1 = 15.75' setting for some time now.  It came with Tensei AV Series Blue 65 "S", mid-launch, mid-spin shaft, but quickly replaced it with Ventus Velocore 7 series (71g) "S" shaft.   And have 90gram in my trusty 2 iron.

Out of curiosity, recently, I put the OEM Tensei AV Series Blue back to see how 65g feels in a wood.  Until Ventus, I've always played 75-85g in 4wd.  It feels good, but the bend profile takes getting used to.   The handle is a bit soft and mid-bend results in a fade for me.  Probably going back to 71g Ventus 7 cause there's no tail on it.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I'm not older but I recently tried a fairway wood that had a 60 stiff in it and have never hit a club better in my life. I suppose I swing on the faster side and hit a high ball so i've always done the golfwrx thing and tried to go heavy and x-stiff to knock off spin, but after hitting that fairway wood I don't know that I can go back. Think it was a stock ventus blue fwy 60 stiff in a SIM2 Max HL fairway. I actually spin my sub zero mavrik 4 wood with an x-stiff tensei pro blue more. Don't knock it till you try I guess

Serious question. Does 10 grams make a hell of a lot of difference in a shaft even for us old farts? I've never seen it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Serious question. Does 10 grams make a hell of a lot of difference in a shaft even for us old farts? I've never seen it.

I “feel” like I can feel a difference in stability. YMMV.

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 1

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

21 minutes ago, RainShadow said:

I “feel” like I can feel a difference in stability. YMMV.

That's all that matters then my friend!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

19 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I may have something worthwhile for you. Earlier this year I got TSi metals. Adjusted to 15* and 18*. With the Tensei AV Blue. 65g.

First time I hit a 65 - for years its been 70 or 75. But I'm in my early 60s now, and my game is changing a bit. 

Saw a bit of difference ... probably 5 - 10 extra yards (sometimes). However, slightly less control. Missing a few more fairways than usual.

Two additional comments. First, I'm still getting used to a weight I've never played before. When I learn to optimize, I may get more distance and less dispersion. Second, it definitely feels a little different, but really, the differences in both feel and performance are minor. And that was going from 75 to 65. You are talking about going from 70 to 65, a very small variance. Don't expect to see or feel any dramatic difference.

This is what I’m seeing so far. Worse dispersion and not much change in distance.

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

On 7/5/2021 at 10:01 AM, RainShadow said:

in the lower lofts, I go to 60g+/- as long as it has a lower kick and some spin.

I have used a 55g shaft in 3 wood, but same as above - lower kick with some spin

Using Motore F3 6 in 3 and 5 wd.

If using a 7 wd, I stick to 70g+/-  and order it shorter than std length.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

16 hours ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

I an 51 very slow swing speed 75-80. all my wood shafts are in the 55-60 g range. I've never hit it further ,higher or straighter

I'm 55 and have a little more speed than you but I have been playing 75g graphite, hybrid and fw shafts for almost 10yrs without any issues. Gone a little lighter with the fw shafts this year and really like that too.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06