Did I just make an idiotic decision?

Mobert19

MP20's are awesome.  I love mine!

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I think any player who makes decent contact and plays a draw can play a small cb or a forged blade of an MPF of 400 or better. After all the misses are generally a club short and to the right a little, whereas the smaller blades and cb's help a great deal with hooks, which in my case cause me a good deal of strokes every round and I expect others too who miss it to the left - for whatever reason be it poor technique, quick hands or swing, etc. I also think the natural tendency of coming from the inside allows one to hit closer to the hosel, which is necessary for the smaller cb's and blades.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

16 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

I’m now thinking this is dumb. I’m playing so well with the Srixons why did I go and potentially mess this up? I guess we’ll see. What do you all think? Good decision or just immensely stupid?

I'd say do it, playing small blades definitely makes you a better ball striker. I did it for a long time, but now I feel I'm in the stage where I've lost a a lil speed and I cannot dedicate the proper practice time to maintain the sharpness that one needs to truly enjoy the experience. I have since gone to player's cavities, and now am looking at players "tech" cavities (apex, mmc, zx5).

We are going down different paths, my friend. Good luck and godpeed.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I was just thinking the other day about that phrase "turf interaction". 

My golf game is mediocre at best, my swing is pretty bad and my low-point control is downright awful. So for me GI/SGI irons are always the safest bet to try and salvage something out of swings where my swing is trying to bottom out maybe 4-5 grooves too low💩

Even with wedges I've always stuck to models with medium to wide soles and double-digit bounce angles. My natural tendency is to be a "picker" but when my swing malfunctions I get steep and deep and that leading edge can get stuck. 

Anyway, I was messing around on the driving range with a wedge I wouldn't normally play. Narrow sole, some bounce but a pretty sharp leading edge. It took me a long time to figure out how to hit good shots with it but when I did it was fun. I was taking pretty substantial divots but they were shallow (mostly) and the ball was flying on a very pleasing trajectory with some spin. 

That's when "turf interaction" popped into my head. I realized that if you're someone who has always used thin-soled, low-bounce, small-headed irons that carves out those long, smooth divots then that feeling is what you'd be used to. Trying to hit my big old fat irons, designed to skid along the ground without digging, would feel like hitting shots one-handed or something. Just no satisfaction.

I'll stick to my fat soles, thank you. But I think for the first time I understand why you lot go on and on about "turf interaction". Once you get used to that feeling, the impact sense that I usually get just wouldn't be good enough.

Yeah, at the end of the day it’s all about finding what’s the best fit for you and your game.

For me personally, I just love the feel of that pure strike on the sweet spot of my CB/blade-like Z 785’s, the ability to control distance, the smoothness of the swing, and the “turf interaction”. Do I get punished on mishits….absolutely, I get crushed. But I get punished when I tested the ZX5, P790 and P770’s on mishits too.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, at the end of the day it’s all about finding what’s the best fit for you and your game.

For me personally, I just love the feel of that pure strike on the sweet spot of my CB/blade-like Z 785’s, the ability to control distance, the smoothness of the swing, and the “turf interaction”. Do I get punished on mishits….absolutely, I get crushed. But I get punished when I tested the ZX5, P790 and P770’s on mishits too.

I don't know if you've ever hit a set of the Ping Eye2's but they're a weird combo. They actually have enough MOI, perimeter weighting and are big enough that they're not super punishing on mishits (compared to blades and stuff). But the soles and leading edges were designed back when it was assumed every player wanted to carve out big old divots and be punished if he got steep or deep.

I play nine holes a couple times with a set and it was so strange. Catch one out on the toe and it would catch the front of the green like a modern SGI club. Catch one a little heavy and it was as punishing as a set of Macgregor Tourney blades (or seemed so to me).

Some people have tools, motorcycles, cars, utv’s, guns, etc….

I have golf clubs…they are my joy. I’m a cheating bastxxx too, I’m not loyal to any of them. I truly love trying and tinkering with equipment. It makes the game more enjoyable for me and honestly gets me to practice way more often. You made a choice, try them and if they don’t work, sell them. You’re not out anything in the end really. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I don't know if you've ever hit a set of the Ping Eye2's but they're a weird combo. They actually have enough MOI, perimeter weighting and are big enough that they're not super punishing on mishits (compared to blades and stuff). But the soles and leading edges were designed back when it was assumed every player wanted to carve out big old divots and be punished if he got steep or deep.

I play nine holes a couple times with a set and it was so strange. Catch one out on the toe and it would catch the front of the green like a modern SGI club. Catch one a little heavy and it was as punishing as a set of Macgregor Tourney blades (or seemed so to me).

Interesting. No, I’ve never actually tried any PING or Titleist products at all for whatever reason. 

Neither in golf shops or in my fitting back in March have I ever swung a PING or Titleist club. Probably turned off by all the guys with the “All-PING” and “All-Titleist” bags…just not my thing.

Edit: that’s not fully true, I’ve waggled Vokey wedges in the store and tried to roll a few putts with Scotty’s just to see what the hype was about, but both just seemed like regular clubs.

Edited by BallerNate

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I keep my MP67s around because I LOVE bringing them out now and then every though they are not the right clubs for me forshooting lower scores. 

have fun. That’s what it’s all about. 

Edited by SteelieD
Typo

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

My guess is that 50% of GI or SGI players would shoot their scoring average with a set of muscle back blade irons.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

21 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

A few days ago I bought a set of MP-20 blades here on WRX. I’m playing off a 6.3 right now and just started breaking 80 in my last 10 rounds fairly consistently. I’ve been playing twice a week for the last 4 months. Prior to that probably once or twice every 2-3 months. 
I went for a fitting and ended up getting a full set of ZX5 irons with modus 120S shafts which have immensely contributed to my improved iron game (came from Ping G). I was never a consistent iron player but really have turned the corner with the help of increased practice and playing time and these clubs. 

Also, the MPs are coming with DG S300. Lie may have to be addressed but that’s another story. 

Anyways, like many others here, I get sucked into checking out gear and really liked the looks of the MP-20s. I figured life’s short and just get them and see what happens. 

I’m now thinking this is dumb. I’m playing so well with the Srixons why did I go and potentially mess this up? I guess we’ll see. What do you all think? Good decision or just immensely stupid?

Only thing that would be immensely stupid is if you get rid of the srixons.  Have some fun with the mp 20s. After the fun sell them. 

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

17 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

My guess is that 50% of GI or SGI players would shoot their scoring average with a set of muscle back blade irons.

I think its easier to play blades or small cb's if one comes from the inside and makes solid consistent contact, which the latter isn't difficult to do if one swings within their limits.

Edited by chipa

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Update as I have just been able to hit these clubs at the range (off mats unfortunately as my club is under maintenance for another week). 

definite loss of distance by one club length which Is die to the weaker lofts. Ball flight was fine, maybe a tad lower than my modus 120S in the Srixons. I was impressed by the easiness to hit of the 3 and 4 iron which are the HMB in this set. 

5-PW contact was fine. I was getting more hooks as I went up in loft. I’m assuming this is a lie issue as my srixons didn’t do that when I switched between clubs. 

mishits we’re punished short but nothing dreadful. Feedback from club wasn’t harsh on these. 

they’re a beautiful set and I could totally game these but am unsure about giving up distance. I will take them on the trackman this week and compare statistically with the srixons and then really need to play a few rounds to see how tight the distances and dispersions are. 

Any input is accepted!

Certainly not "idiotic". You'll make it the game slightly more difficult for yourself but probably only slightly. Only you can know if, on balance, you enjoy playing sleek and beautiful MP-20 style irons enough to be worth them costing you a stroke once in a while on a bad mishit. 

Enjoy, your MP 20's are fine clubs.

Keep in mind, prior to CB's all irons were 

musclebacks. They are not that difficult to play. And with a little patience, you will get the hang of them. Have fun, blades are a blast.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Going to be honest with you....if youve been consistent in the 80s then your just fine playing the mizuno mp 20 blades... they are more forgiving then how some make it sound. As long as your hitting your distances pretty regularly you will be fine... noo iron makes you hit straighter. Only longer. I play blades and consistently shoot in 80s... working on breaking into 70s.

If you expiernce a off round or two... dont lose hope.. keep playing with them.. at least 10 rounds.. and you will see there is virtually no difference for a decently skilled player to play blades or a gi. If anything you might realize gi irons were more of a hinderance. Also... if you expiernce any stinging... which you wont or will a little... i highly highly recommend winn dri tac 2.0 grips... 90% of stinging will be gone.

I still haven’t figured out how GI irons are supposed to be easier to use than blades.   The equipment reviews on all the various golf websites like to mention that blades are only for “scratch players” and “elite ball strikers”.  It seems like it takes more skill to square up and hit one of those big honking GI irons, straight with some predictable level of distance.  There is a lot more that can go wrong with those bigger club heads.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NHenson815 said:

I still haven’t figured out how GI irons are supposed to be easier to use than blades.   .

Current club designers/engineers use CAD systems to design clubs. The testing results reveal that larger club heads produce better results from mishit shots than do relatively small club heads. So, the companies produce large club heads and sell the story that bigger is better.

However, the reality is that for some players a larger club head actually promotes more mishit shots than a relatively small club head. Sadly, the club company designers/engineers forget that the goal of the game is to strike good shots, not mishit the ball.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

To me the first post reads like this: 

"As a single guy, I've recently had a string of dates with various beautiful women who make a lot of money and treat me well. I'm thinking of moving to a smaller town where this is much less likely to happen. Good decision?"

🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

25 minutes ago, me05501 said:

To me the first post reads like this: 

"As a single guy, I've recently had a string of dates with various beautiful women who make a lot of money and treat me well. I'm thinking of moving to a smaller town where this is much less likely to happen. Good decision?"

🙂 

Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh. 

17 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

Were the MP20's not available at your fitting?

I wasn't striking the ball as well as I am now. I've been playing and practicing much more than ever.

So at the time of fitting, I wasn't a good candidate for these.

Edited by Mobert19

1 hour ago, Mobert19 said:

I wasn't striking the ball as well as I am now. I've been playing and practicing much more than ever.

So at the time of fitting, I wasn't a good candidate for these.

Gotcha. Sure, give it a shot. Even if they don't perform the same, you may prefer them esthetically. Just know that going into it you're likely going to be shorter w/ the MP20's unless you bend them strong or your zx5's are bent weak. But hell, tinkering with different sticks is pretty much why we're all here. Have fun!

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

If you can't play them, they'll look great hanging out in the room with your other clubs.  As long as you pay what you need to pay, there's nothing idiotic about spending your cash how you want!

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I just tried out my "new" blades with a lightweight stiff taper tip shaft and I definitely hit them straighter than my other ones. I also hit them much higher and a little shorter because they are weaker lofts. My "new" 7 wood was a fantastic addition as well as I finally hit a good drive on one of my "nemesis" holes, about 230 off an elevated tee, (my ss is around 99). Also, my new 8802 putter with the crosshand grip is almost a sure thing w/in 5' as long as I get the line right (no more pulls). Finally, my "new" long driver experiment is working out as well, I cut the shaft down to 47" and hit a nice draw with an ave. ss. of 113-114 with a high of 119. I figure I get about 9 mph additional clubhead speed over my 43.75"  2 wood.

So definitely trying out "new" equipment has been worth it for me. In my case most of it is used (and/or off brand) and 15-20 years old but with new shafts and grips. I also put my stuff together.

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

Notes: