Did I just make an idiotic decision?

Mobert19

A few days ago I bought a set of MP-20 blades here on WRX. I’m playing off a 6.3 right now and just started breaking 80 in my last 10 rounds fairly consistently. I’ve been playing twice a week for the last 4 months. Prior to that probably once or twice every 2-3 months. 
I went for a fitting and ended up getting a full set of ZX5 irons with modus 120S shafts which have immensely contributed to my improved iron game (came from Ping G). I was never a consistent iron player but really have turned the corner with the help of increased practice and playing time and these clubs. 

Also, the MPs are coming with DG S300. Lie may have to be addressed but that’s another story. 

Anyways, like many others here, I get sucked into checking out gear and really liked the looks of the MP-20s. I figured life’s short and just get them and see what happens. 

I’m now thinking this is dumb. I’m playing so well with the Srixons why did I go and potentially mess this up? I guess we’ll see. What do you all think? Good decision or just immensely stupid?

• Like 2

Part of the fun about golf is all the equipment choices. I have changed my irons recently to blades even though I shoot in the 90's because I believe they will help me lower my hc. I have plenty of clubhead speed and play a draw what I need is less offset and a reminder to swing within myself. I just bought another putter a copy of the Wilson 8802. I think its realistic to say w/in a year I will be in the 80's consistently and a big part of that will be because of getting the right equipment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

35 minutes ago, chipa said:

Part of the fun about golf is all the equipment choices. I have changed my irons recently to blades even though I shoot in the 90's because I believe they will help me lower my hc. I have plenty of clubhead speed and play a draw what I need is less offset and a reminder to swing within myself. I just bought another putter a copy of the Wilson 8802. I think its realistic to say w/in a year I will be in the 80's consistently and a big part of that will be because of getting the right equipment.

I feel the same and am tempted to get a true players set to get me to really focus on my game. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

19 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I feel the same and am tempted to get a true players set to get me to really focus on my game. 

I bought a used set of Titleist DCI's 990B's for 120 plus shipping. I haven't hit real balls yet but played blades before and have never hit my irons so well and I think it will only get better as my nemesis is lack of self control in my swing. I am trying to make it a permanent swing thought before I pull the trigger. I have learned the hard way that that irons are only to hit a certain distance so accuracy should trump my tendency to lash at the ball like a maniac. 

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Buy and try,Zx5 are nice,Mp20 will be a different club buy play and learn.

Maybe combo

mp pw987 Zx5 654

Learn to love the mps

thats how life goes

In DragRacing its Test and Tune....in golf its play, sell, buy more, but Have Fun doing it🙂

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

3 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

A few days ago I bought a set of MP-20 blades here on WRX. I’m playing off a 6.3 right now and just started breaking 80 in my last 10 rounds fairly consistently. I’ve been playing twice a week for the last 4 months. Prior to that probably once or twice every 2-3 months. 
I went for a fitting and ended up getting a full set of ZX5 irons with modus 120S shafts which have immensely contributed to my improved iron game (came from Ping G). I was never a consistent iron player but really have turned the corner with the help of increased practice and playing time and these clubs. 

Also, the MPs are coming with DG S300. Lie may have to be addressed but that’s another story. 

Anyways, like many others here, I get sucked into checking out gear and really liked the looks of the MP-20s. I figured life’s short and just get them and see what happens. 

I’m now thinking this is dumb. I’m playing so well with the Srixons why did I go and potentially mess this up? I guess we’ll see. What do you all think? Good decision or just immensely stupid?

Oh yeah. We’ve all been there. MB blades are like a beautiful woman that you know will be more trouble than you want, but you can’t help yourself! Haha
The 20s from ZX5s is indeed a really big jump. But something about a shiny forges MB… Like others have said, hold onto the 5s and have fun trying out the 20s. Also, the 20s are probably 3° weaker lofted than the ZX5s. So club up with them. And when you miss the sweet spot… we’ll they’re still pretty. 😉 If you find the 20s just way too demanding, but enjoy the smaller profile and less offset compared to the 5s, try the ZX7s. Definitely in between the 5s and 20s. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blades are not blades until they have turned over several times on BST....

I would be surprised if you get along the same with the blades as the weight/shafts are not quite the same profile so it may be off for you. Time will tell. 

I shot a bad score the other day with my blade like clubs (Miura CB's more demanding then my 770/790s), but I still had a great time as its me not the clubs: if you can do that you will love the MPs.  🙂 

Two possible outcomes. You really, really enjoy playing with them and shoot about the same scores as you did with the old irons. Or your really, really enjoy playing with them but they end up costing you a stroke or two.

Either way sounds like a something you can live with😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

I find the equipment chase to be almost as much fun as the game.😆

53 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

If you played like me, you’d enjoy the equipment chase more 😂

🤣🤣 +1…Equipment chase is definitely more fun for me than actually playing this year, no doubt about it!! 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

9 hours ago, nostatic said:

Do you have to pay the rent based on how you score? If not, then experiment away. As long as you didn’t sell the ZX5s, you can always go back. Or you could try some ZX7s 🙃

This is the route I would have gone.  If you are getting along with the zx5’s,the zx7’s seem a natural progression.  Especially because you could combo them if needed. 

the question I would ask yourself is if getting the lowest score possible is what’s most important to you,  if it is, then blades are probably not a great choice for most non + handicappers (not trying to stir up this debate as it has been debated ad nauseum just offering my thoughts on op question).  That said, it is a hobby for most of us.  I’m in the same hcp range as you and while blades don’t get me all excited, if they did I might play them even if it wasn’t the best choice.  It’s not like there is going to be a huge difference and if it makes it more fun than I would give it a try.

the shafts are another thing altogether for me.  If I was fit into modus then it would take a good reason to go to a different shaft.  These shafts are not crazy different though so probably will work out ok, but I’m not nearly as willing to experiment with shafts as I am heads.

It sounds like you bought these clubs used though, so the risk is not huge.  Assuming you got a reasonable deal, you can likely sell them without losing much more than a little shipping.  There is someone else who is wondering if they are good enough to play blades...

if the mp20’s don’t work out then sell them and get a set of zx7’s or 7-p of zx7’s.  That seems like the perfect setup for you and you will never outgrow them.  

Edited by jomatty

Yes but this forum is full of buyer regret.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

What are your priorities?  Do you like playing well, or do you like shiny new things?  If you're playing well with what you have, why mess with that? If you want new clubs get the new clubs.   They also don't have to be mutually exclusive, maybe you'll change and keep scoring. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Play what you like. I don't get the obsession with scoring for folks who play golf for free. If you break 80, do you get a discount on your round?

Blades can be fun, scores be damned. It's not like you dropped $1500 for the blades. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

If you don’t try you’ll never know.  My guess is the lofts are not identical and that can be frustrating since you’re use to seeing your clubs go a certain distance.   

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

It's mind blowing how many different ways the exact same conversation regarding bl*des can be worded.

Bottom line, play what you want.  Ultimately, does it really matter if you're good enough to hit them?  Or what other people think about it?  Even here on WRX I think most people have given up on this debate (unless it's the ever dreaded 'blades are actually game improvement').  My guess is you still need to show up to work Monday morning just like the rest of us whether you shoot 68 or 98.  And the best news, even if you don't like them, they should be easy enough to flip and then the next guy will start the same exact thread.

Have fun, play fast, screw what everyone else thinks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

We can only tell you what you already know.

You will score the same with both.  It's the amount you play/practice that determines score.

I actually think the two sets are a good rotation.  You may or may not want to consider keeping the shafts the same in both sets.  One less variable.

Edited by morgan1819

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

4 hours ago, jomatty said:

This is the route I would have gone.  If you are getting along with the zx5’s,the zx7’s seem a natural progression.  Especially because you could combo them if needed. 

the question I would ask yourself is if getting the lowest score possible is what’s most important to you,  if it is, then blades are probably not a great choice for most non + handicappers (not trying to stir up this debate as it has been debated ad nauseum just offering my thoughts on op question).  That said, it is a hobby for most of us.  I’m in the same hcp range as you and while blades don’t get me all excited, if they did I might play them even if it wasn’t the best choice.  It’s not like there is going to be a huge difference and if it makes it more fun than I would give it a try.

the shafts are another thing altogether for me.  If I was fit into modus then it would take a good reason to go to a different shaft.  These shafts are not crazy different though so probably will work out ok, but I’m not nearly as willing to experiment with shafts as I am heads.

It sounds like you bought these clubs used though, so the risk is not huge.  Assuming you got a reasonable deal, you can likely sell them without losing much more than a little shipping.  There is someone else who is wondering if they are good enough to play blades...

if the mp20’s don’t work out then sell them and get a set of zx7’s or 7-p of zx7’s.  That seems like the perfect setup for you and you will never outgrow them.  

Yeah the ZX7 would totally be the rational route. Except.....the BST gets you sucked in. I’ve never hit blades so I have been curious. Any everyone is right, worst case lost a few bucks and let someone else experiment away. Thanks all! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

Yeah the ZX7 would totally be the rational route. Except.....the BST gets you sucked in. I’ve never hit blades so I have been curious. Any everyone is right, worst case lost a few bucks and let someone else experiment away. Thanks all! 

I played blades (TM Tour Preferred MB’s) last year after not playing Golf for 13 yrs and was totally fine after an adjustment period. 

I’ve tried TM P790, P770, ZX5, and play Z 785’s now, and honestly a bad strike is a bad strike whatever type of irons you use. 

I actually find the thicker GI/Distance/Players Distance clubs tougher to hit consistently because of the turf interaction with the thickness of the sole, but that’s just my opinion/personal experience.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

43 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I actually find the thicker GI/Distance/Players Distance clubs tougher to hit consistently because of the turf interaction with the thickness of the sole, but that’s just my opinion/personal experience.

I was just thinking the other day about that phrase "turf interaction". 

My golf game is mediocre at best, my swing is pretty bad and my low-point control is downright awful. So for me GI/SGI irons are always the safest bet to try and salvage something out of swings where my swing is trying to bottom out maybe 4-5 grooves too low💩

Even with wedges I've always stuck to models with medium to wide soles and double-digit bounce angles. My natural tendency is to be a "picker" but when my swing malfunctions I get steep and deep and that leading edge can get stuck. 

Anyway, I was messing around on the driving range with a wedge I wouldn't normally play. Narrow sole, some bounce but a pretty sharp leading edge. It took me a long time to figure out how to hit good shots with it but when I did it was fun. I was taking pretty substantial divots but they were shallow (mostly) and the ball was flying on a very pleasing trajectory with some spin. 

That's when "turf interaction" popped into my head. I realized that if you're someone who has always used thin-soled, low-bounce, small-headed irons that carves out those long, smooth divots then that feeling is what you'd be used to. Trying to hit my big old fat irons, designed to skid along the ground without digging, would feel like hitting shots one-handed or something. Just no satisfaction.

I'll stick to my fat soles, thank you. But I think for the first time I understand why you lot go on and on about "turf interaction". Once you get used to that feeling, the impact sense that I usually get just wouldn't be good enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

You're going down in clubhead MOI about 100 g/sqcm and the VCOG is literally the same. MAKE SURE you have a fitter re-weight them to match the Srixons AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE! PLEASE post your results when you start trying them out. I am very curious how things go.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

15 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

No biggie... you did what many Golfwrx's do.  Get ahead of yourself and think you've got more ball striking ability than you really do.  MP20 have different head design, weaker lofts,  less offset, and heavier profile shafts.  Mind you, your ZX5 irons are nice but very different.  Your choice is fine with me, except you've only just begun....  You asked... lol

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX