Would you rather win The Players or an Olympic gold?

RCGA

1 hour ago, dalehead said:

An Olympic gold medal opens doors for the winner of it is in the right sport. Swimming, gymnastics, some track events. Figure skating and skiing in the winter.

How many doors does the Olympic gold in hammer throw open? Water polo? Equestrian? Archery? Kayaking? Or dozens or scores more sports.

An Olympic gold in golf will matter if the player has a larger resume in addition. Namely majors. Or multiple tour wins.

Xander will cash in on his gold medal. In the short term. He is young, marketable, and has untapped potential. But the gold medal will not carry him for long. He has to win multiple times, including majors, and Players. I don’t think it’s going to happen but if he doesn’t build from here the XS story will not be about a gold medal winner, but about a guy who never lived up to his potential, even though he did win gold.

In short, an Olympic gold medal is a resume enhancer for a success career in golf.  By itself it’s pretty meaningless.

For a young golfer, the Olympic golf could eventually mean a lot more to everyone than it does now - see tennis.

It takes a while for these things to build up. An Olympics in Riviera in 2028 might be the one that sparks it really into life for Americans, that would be special on a course full of fans.

17 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

This is the bit that I don't get. I don't understand why someone would choose not to participate in the Olympics. 

Yes, it's a softer field than a major. Yes, it's not exactly the pinnacle of the sport.

But it comes around once every 4 years, and how many opportunities in your life are you going to even have the chance to walk away with an Olympic gold medal? 

It may not be as big of an accomplishment to many as the Masters, either Open, or even the Players, but isn't just the ability to say that you've won Olympic gold too cool of an opportunity to pass up?

Maybe it's not the biggest accomplishment in the sport, but I'd venture a guess that Xander is going to treasure that medal the rest of his life regardless. 

I'm sure he will.  But you're finding out this year that more and more people really don't care about the Olympics, at least here in America.  Viewership has cratered.  Other than maybe soccer, the events really aren't widely cared about.  Whether its because of the setting, the increase in politicization of the Olympics, or the events themselves....who knows.  Speaking for myself, I've watched maybe 2 or 3 hours of the golf coverage during the Olympics....that's it.  Haven't watched a second of anything else.  Nothing moves the needle for me in the summer games.  The winter games are much more palatable for me, because events like skiing, speed skating, hockey, etc carry some excitement with them.  

The golf media is pushing really, really hard on this Olympic golf to the point where its getting insufferable.  For the last two weeks, that's all I've heard on PGAT Radio, to the point where they're literally belittling guys like DJ and Koepka for not going.  They truly think the Olympic golf in Paris in 3 years is going to be viewed as much as the Open Championship simply because its going to be on in the morning in the USA just like the Open.  They are pushing hard because if Olympic golf doesn't take off in Paris, there's a very good possibility it won't be an event when the Olympics come to LA in 7 years.

PGA Tour golfers care about winning tournaments, winning majors, and making money.  That's really the long and short of it.  They guys who played in Toyko and now flew back 10+ hours to Memphis to tee up a WGC with a purse of $10M are now at a serious disadvantage from those who have been stateside for the last 2 weeks.  And I think we'll see that reflected in the performances this week.

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

Winning the gold at the Olympics should get you into all the majors, Invitationals , Players and a three year exemption on tour. Do that and see how many pros try to qualify......IMO

Pretty much anyone who qualifies for the Olympics that is on any of the major tours already has all of those things.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:04 AM, manku said:

two week vacation.  

try 6-8 weeks, minimum.  

Can't say it doesn't sound nice, just not something I ever envisioned. Not sure the ferals would approve and I have a passel of 'em. Usually can count on my stature at home being above them - but below wife and dog - yet I have to work at it.

Old Cuss 

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

For the US maybe but not the obscure countries.....

Exactly. Take my man Udayan Mane here. Play the Indian tour. He finished #56 in the Olympics.

But imagine the experience for him?!

Be like,

Yo, JT, Rory! What up? Wanna get some food later?

If he had won a bronze he’d be a very happy camper indeed.

B92DD7CF-EBB2-4906-BCAC-FFF1FC467276.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Exactly. Take my man Udayan Mane here. Play the Indian tour. He finished #56 in the Olympics.

Be like,

Imagine the incentive if a gold got him in the masters.....overwhelming.

Edited by Titleist99
add content

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Be like,

He shouldn't be there......do we want the best or Eddie the eagle ski jumping for a story?  Rory Sabs playing for Slovakia?  Wow....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

I'm sure he will.  But you're finding out this year that more and more people really don't care about the Olympics, at least here in America.  Viewership has cratered.  Other than maybe soccer, the events really aren't widely cared about.  Whether its because of the setting, the increase in politicization of the Olympics, or the events themselves....who knows.  Speaking for myself, I've watched maybe 2 or 3 hours of the golf coverage during the Olympics....that's it.  Haven't watched a second of anything else.  Nothing moves the needle for me in the summer games.  The winter games are much more palatable for me, because events like skiing, speed skating, hockey, etc carry some excitement with them.  

The golf media is pushing really, really hard on this Olympic golf to the point where its getting insufferable.  For the last two weeks, that's all I've heard on PGAT Radio, to the point where they're literally belittling guys like DJ and Koepka for not going.  They truly think the Olympic golf in Paris in 3 years is going to be viewed as much as the Open Championship simply because its going to be on in the morning in the USA just like the Open.  They are pushing hard because if Olympic golf doesn't take off in Paris, there's a very good possibility it won't be an event when the Olympics come to LA in 7 years.

PGA Tour golfers care about winning tournaments, winning majors, and making money.  That's really the long and short of it.  They guys who played in Toyko and now flew back 10+ hours to Memphis to tee up a WGC with a purse of $10M are now at a serious disadvantage from those who have been stateside for the last 2 weeks.  And I think we'll see that reflected in the performances this week.

Best post in the thread🤙!!

In full disclosure, I only read mine, @Dave230's and then Ja's post below Dave's, but still, this is a great post and sums up beautifully why a US Pro wouldn't wanna go. Bottom line, if you're having a great year & in the Play-off hunt, whyITF would you endure the travel, lag, wear & tear all for what, a gold friggin medal, which of a total weight of 556gr, is only 8gr of gold(plating), with the other 550gr being silver(92.5)???

Great post Brotha👊
RP 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Players.

Money.  Exemption.  Good security for my ham-n-egg'r arse. 

Pro athletes in the Olympics kinda taints it.  

• Like 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

While I very much appreciate that the Olympics has golf now, and I would love to represent my country and win a gold medal, I would much rather win The Players. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

When I was in my early teens I LOVED the Olympics. My primary interest was basketball but I read up on track & field, swimming & other sports to know who the U.S. would be sending. I kept up with the medal count. It was a huge event. Then Munich in 1972 changed everything. That was heartbreaking in a way I don't think people who either weren't born yet or were too young to realize what was happening can't understand.

Now (in my opinion) the Olympics has devolved to the same level as the Academy Awards & similar extravaganzas. It's become ultimate political theater with the elitists of the world gathered to congratulate themselves on how much more enlightened they are than the rest of us. I haven't watched a single second of the Olympics this year. I don't mean I haven't happened to catch any of it or been too busy or forgot; I mean I go out of my way to avoid it. I dislike the Olympics intensely now because I am old enough to know how wonderful it once was.

Edited by jonsnow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonsnow said:

When I was in my early teens I LOVED the Olympics. My primary interest was basketball but I read up on track & field, swimming & other sports to know who the U.S. would be sending. I kept up with the medal count. It was a huge event. Then Munich in 1972 changed everything. That was heartbreaking in a way I don't think people who either weren't born yet or were too young to realize what was happening can't understand.

Now (in my opinion) the Olympics has devolved to the same level as the Academy Awards & similar extravaganzas. It's become ultimate political theater with the elitists of the gathered to congratulate themselves on how much more enlightened they are than the rest of us. I haven't watched a single second of the Olympics this year. I don't mean I haven't happened to catch any of it or been too busy or forgot; I mean I go out of my way to avoid it. I dislike the Olympics intensely now because I am old enough to know how wonderful it once was.

"It's become ultimate political theater with the elitists of the gathered to congratulate themselves"......."I haven't watched a single second of the Olympics" 

It sure was difficult navigating through all the political statements being made during the Olympics golf coverage 🙄

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Unless your name is Tiger, Phil, DJ, Rory, or Jordan the prize money at Players is too significant.  I could make an argument that for those guys they've got enough money that the mainstream appeal of being a gold medalist would have more meaning but I guess DJ has told you how much he values it by skipping the tournament twice.  Even for a top 10 player like Xander winning the top non-major and pocketing $2 mil just enhances his career and bank account too much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cincy_Ken said:

Unless your name is Tiger, Phil, DJ, Rory, or Jordan the prize money at Players is too significant.  I could make an argument that for those guys they've got enough money that the mainstream appeal of being a gold medalist would have more meaning but I guess DJ has told you how much he values it by skipping the tournament twice.  Even for a top 10 player like Xander winning the top non-major and pocketing $2 mil just enhances his career and bank account too much.

But, lets not forget how big those endorsement deals for Olympic success can be.....For example Usain Bolt signed a deal with Puma for $9M a year.

Wait, after all the arguments here people are still choosing the Olympics?  Wow.

Best part of Olympics is watching obscure amateurs win track & field or swimming medals... or the girl that shockingly won bronze in the Marathon last night.

Professional golfers who we all know very well and play each other 40 times a year already?  They are about dead last in my Olympics viewing pleasure.  Trying to pretend there is anything here to be excited about is a real reach.

The Majors, The Players, the Memorial, TPC Sawgrass, the WGC events, the Ryder Cup, The Presidents Cup.. all far more fascinating events and they always will be.  Hell the FedEx Cup events/Tour Championship at East Lake are more interesting.

• Like 2

Someday, the Olympics could be the most prestigious event in golf!

Olympics started like 2,700 years ago yo!

Doubtful perhaps the human race makes it another 2,700 years, lol, but if we do….

Instead of the Players, people be arguing..

Is the Olympics the 5th major?

Is like Rhythmic Gymnastics. Prolly people thought it’s no good but now

Is like the best thing in Olympics b!

B595CACB-F07C-482B-8D24-8880E5A3C25A.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct

On 8/6/2021 at 4:42 PM, Titleist99 said:

But, lets not forget how big those endorsement deals for Olympic success can be.....For example Usain Bolt signed a deal with Puma for $9M a year.

Sure, you think Xander is going to get much of that on top of what he has? Do you really believe the gold will make him more than the Players prize money and resulting bump in endorsement cash?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The Players for financial security and exemption status. If I was established and had $50,000,000 in the bank then a gold would be a nice way to finalize the resume. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Could a 4 male hdcp'r win a women's Olympic medal in golf?   Could 'par man'?  Could Jonesscott?   

Edited by dan360
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Olympic Gold transcends golf. The Players is just another PGA Tour Event.

I'd rather win the Olympics than any golf tournament that isn't one of the four actual majors.

Craig Perks won the fricken Players for Christ sake. Joide Mudd won the Players. Tim Clark won the Players. Stephen Ames won the Players. There's four winners of the illustrious players championship whose careers are over and they combined for a whopping 7 pga tour wins outside of the Players Championship.

Matt Kuchar's biggest career win is the Players Championship. He won a bronze medal at the olympics and carried it around with him everywhere he went for a year and wouldn't shut up about it. I don't remeber hearing similar stories with the trophy from the Players.

Why do all these guys who can't handle the pressure and win majors when they have chances win the Players? Because its not a major.

See Rickie Fowler. See Matt Kuchar.

See Adam Scott (9 years) Sergio Garcia (9 years) and Henrik Stenson (7 years) long before they finally figured out how to break through in a major they had no trouble closing out the Players.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Sure, you think Xander is going to get much of that on top of what he has? Do you really believe the gold will make him more than the Players prize money and resulting bump in endorsement cash?

Dear Sir,

Morgan Standley paid Justin Rose $5M just to wear its name on his hat. Just one example of how lucrative the endorsement business can be. 

Edited by Titleist99