2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is there any company you shy away from just because?

playit

Golf Pride.  The Tour Velvet's durability is shameful, getting slick after 1 season or sooner.  Their corded grips are better but the Tour Velvet really soured me on the brand. 

Meanwhile, Lamkin Crosslines stay tacky forever.  They wear out in some spots, but they never get slick in my experience.  My dad has Titleist irons with Crosslines from 1998 that are still tacky.  I sure hope they never change the compound or formulation.

Other than that, a long time ago in the 90s, I think TaylorMade and Callaway had clubfaces that were a degree or 2 closed, while Titleist's were slightly open.  At the time I hit a natural draw that I didn't want to turn into a hook so I played Titleist for many years.  I'm sure configurations have changed by now though.

• Like 1

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

Ping 

It was TaylorMade for years. Played the Sim Max this past season and has been the longest and most consistent driver in quite some time. For me it’s almost as good as my all time favorite the Adams 9064ls. TaylorMades purchase of Maxfli and Adams two of my preferred brands for a better part of 20yrs (1995-2015) and seeing the end result of that purchase are the  reason for avoiding the TaylorMade brand for so long. TP Black LDP ball  and SimMax driver are the only products I have used.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:48 PM, Nelson.br.1515 said:

Taylormade for me. Never really got along with anything I have ever tried from them. Also I kind of hate them for ruining Adams…

Edited by wayne18

Cobra LTDx 10.5* 

Cobra Tec 19* 
Titleist 818 H1   21*
Cobra Forged Tec 2022 Kbs $ taper stiff

Titleist SM8 54*- 58* TT AMT Black s300

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s
Maxfli Tour 2023

TM never seems to work for me, tried some irons and woods but never found anything that worked well. The closest was the TW irons, but good sense won out over ego for once. But they are sweet clubs.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

Odyssey. Good putters and I've had successes with them, but they could never stay in the bag.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Taylormade purely for their shameful behaviour towards people I know regarding crown failures on their woods recently. Lots of people at my club will not buy any of their clubs now for fear of being left severely out of pocket. 

For grips I’d echo Golf Pride for their durability being terrible. The Tour Velvet has a truly pathetic lifespan and offerings from Lamkin, Iomic, Pure and even Champkey last at least 5x as long. 

For shoes I’ll never buy another pair of Under Armour. They fall apart and the soles wear really oddly. Both pairs I have had have gone through at the heel in no time and they crack up around the lace holes. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, huskydawg said:

Golf Pride.  The Tour Velvet's durability is shameful, getting slick after 1 season or sooner.  Their corded grips are better but the Tour Velvet really soured me on the brand. 

Meanwhile, Lamkin Crosslines stay tacky forever.  They wear out in some spots, but they never get slick in my experience.  My dad has Titleist irons with Crosslines from 1998 that are still tacky.  I sure hope they never change the compound or formulation.

Other than that, a long time ago in the 90s, I think TaylorMade and Callaway had clubfaces that were a degree or 2 closed, while Titleist's were slightly open.  At the time I hit a natural draw that I didn't want to turn into a hook so I played Titleist for many years.  I'm sure configurations have changed by now though.

Witcha on this dude. I loathe Golf Pride grips. They are unfortunately stock on a lot of OTR clubs, but the first thing I do with new clubs is rip them off (or, preferably, just specify different ones if I'm ordering a custom set). 

And I have never been able feel comfortable with TM or Cally. Clubs are intensely personal, and I certainly have friends that love them, but they don't fit my eye. They just don't feel good to me. And I don't like gimmicks (looking down at a white driver? Seriously?)

I'm old school. Titleist D and FWs. Mizzy forged irons. Miura wedges. Scotty putter. Boring, but my kit works for me.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

7I'm fairly brand agnostic, but definitely have preferences. I prefer TM drivers, and Cleveland wedges. Otherwise I will generally play with what feels good, gives me good results, and provides good value (aka I'm cheap). Because of this I have a lot of Cleveland clubs. 

The brands I've stayed away from are Titleist, Ping, Callaway, Cobra, and PXG.

Titleist, never really performed well for me, even when I would have gotten a good deal. I have used pro V1 and V1X.

Ping I've only tried their irons and didn't mesh with, when I flush them they feel good, but otherwise meh. I have heard, well not the g425, good things about the woods, but they didn't stand out for me.

Callaway nothing has really caught my eye, although I was seriously considering getting the Rogue re-release but didn't get to try it by the time I had the funds available.

PXG I thought looked awful up until this years releases, combine that with the price, just was a no for me. 

I did try the Cobra driver this year, but it didn't really perform well for me.

As long as it performs and is a good value, I'll use it.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Ping.  It’s superficial but I just think their clubs are SO UGLY.  I cannot stand the notch in the iron hosels and those turbulators are hideous.

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY

Callaway X-Forged UT 23* - Steelfiber HLS 880
Mizuno Pro 243 5i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 58* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

Titleist except for balls. I never even look at their clubs.

Cobra because their badging looks like it was designed by a 5 year old. Color schemes are brutally bad.

Anything Nike. I wouldn’t wear their clothes or shoes if they were free. 

PXG. I don’t need a 70 year old dude screaming about what’s “sexy”. Gross.

• Haha 1

Ecco- one of the rare items I returned- bad fit, weird smell and just not good

New Balance- scream geezer, clunky design , ( never liked them even when I competed in track)

Nike golf shoes- no standard fit among models ( I do like their shirts and still like my vapor woods and  forged pro combo irons)

Stuff like Matthew or Lundberg with writing all over

P oser X traordanaire G ear ( even if it is good - it is not better than other stuff and dislike their commercials and image )

Callaway and Titleist for me.  

Ping used to be in that category but got a driver fitting a few years ago and the Ping G came out on top so have gamed Ping drivers for a while now.  I don't like any of their other gear and didn't even bother trying their irons when I got fitted recently.

4 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

All brands not named Titleist.

Titleist equipment is excellent across every line from ball to driver so there's no point wasting my time researching other brands.

I also like that Titleist focuses their R&D on designing equipment for me--the better player--not the hackers.

I own multiple 14 club Titleist setups that I keep at each of the exclusive country clubs I belong to.

Don't forget the 2 iron

And have a good day !

Ping, Cleveland, Taylormade. Nothing specific, but other than a TM hybrid in high school I just have never ended up with any of these brands in the bag. I guess I did have a Ping golf bag at one point for some reason. Nothing they release seems to get me to even want to hit them. 

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Mizuno.  If you can't make more than a few sets of irons for lefties I can take my money somewhere else. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

21 hours ago, toddyc said:

Ping because they only make matte woods…I like gloss. And I hated their half moon alignment aid thing.

I didn’t realize titleist still had an elitist reputation. The products and marketing don’t really give that impression to me. 

I've had a lot of success using rubbing/polishing compounds to bring their finishes up to a sort of semi-gloss. Worth trying if you otherwise like or want to like the clubs. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

At the risk of triggering a few,
Maltby, Golfsmith, and store brands…

I don’t have a GOOD reason either.  Just something about getting them.  Probably the resale associated with the purchase.

Hell, I’ve even purchased an entire set of Maltby irons, only to email them right after and cancel.

I am a proud WRX’r…which means I only lose money on what I want to lose money on. 🤷‍♂️

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Callaway woods, hate the feel/sound. Their irons are fine.

Titleist fairway woods have never been kind to me. Haven't considered even trying one since probably the 975F.

Ping woods feel hollow / light, and their irons are fugly. Not angry at some of their hybrids though.

For some reason, Cobra has been off my radar for a long time. I think I had some S3 Pro CB/MB combo's I ended up selling to a friend. But that's the only Cobra I owned since the late 90's.

I have hesitation at some woods just because I don't think they are up to par with the big names. Even something like Srixon woods i'd pass on. Hogan Wilson, Mizuno, Honma, any Cleveland post the Launcher COMP 460.  And generally any brands you find only in places like Dick's or Sports Authority...like Tommy Armour, Top Flight, Tour Edge. 

I play Srixon irons, but never plan to try their woods. I'd play Hogan, Wilson, Mizuno, Honma irons. But not their woods. Just feels like I'm going to be leaving something on the table with them.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Callaway in general for me.  I do play an Odyssey putter, but I'm not a fan with how Callaway drivers and woods look, and I've never really liked the shape of their irons and wedges, and their balls don't feel good to me either.  I've never really played Titleist either.  Their new drivers are good, but I've always preferred TM and Cobra drivers.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

18 hours ago, Jaygolf37 said:

At the risk of triggering a few,
Maltby, Golfsmith, and store brands…

I don’t have a GOOD reason either.  Just something about getting them.  Probably the resale associated with the purchase.

Hell, I’ve even purchased an entire set of Maltby irons, only to email them right after and cancel.

I am a proud WRX’r…which means I only lose money on what I want to lose money on. 🤷‍♂️

I keept trying to like Maltby but it just doesn’t work.  I have found the irons to work okay. The woods are just terrible

Edited by TallGuy90
  • Like 1

I don't "actively" avoid any of the brands; but I've never gotten along with any driver/wood/hybrid/iron that Callaway makes; whether it was performance, look, or sound. Love their wedges though.

Despise the chunk missing from the hosel on Ping irons and whomever thought turbolators were "cool" should be fired and blacklisted from the industry.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

7 hours ago, propman said:

Nope, whatever works is good for me. The only complaint I have is the oem greed exhibited by their prices.

No offense, but I never understood this premise. They’re in the business of producing and marketing a quality product, and selling such product at a price mark that the consumer has proven to accept. Are they supposed to sell drivers for 250 bucks? Why, exactly? I don’t know, I just believe customers create the market share (in any business), and if those are the prices customers are willing to pay, then god bless companies for creating a product for them. 

38 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

No offense, but I never understood this premise. They’re in the business of producing and marketing a quality product, and selling such product at a price mark that the consumer has proven to accept. Are they supposed to sell drivers for 250 bucks? Why, exactly? I don’t know, I just believe customers create the market share (in any business), and if those are the prices customers are willing to pay, then god bless companies for creating a product for them. 

No offense taken. You are correct but then again so am I. Just observing the steep price increases the last 2 years.

Guess I'm not the typical consumer.

• Like 1

15 hcp