Will Rickie Fowler ever make a cut on the PGA Tour again?

PearSorbet17

1 minute ago, sandpounder said:

My game is really getting good!  Never played better.  I am really practicing every day & studying equipment.  The SteelFiber i80's are great.  I think the i70's would be too light.  I saw in a post that you were contemplating the i80's.  They might be too light for you.  Just a guess.

... Glad to hear you are playing well Larry. It comes and goes but is so sweet when you are in the zone for awhile. Love my Steelfiber i95's in my MIM irons but I have a set of '22 Forged Tecs with KBS Tgi 85 coming soon and I picked up some Steelfiber i80's to install in them when the stock shafts were the Catalyst's. Should at least be interesting! 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Glad to hear you are playing well Larry. It comes and goes but is so sweet when you are in the zone for awhile. Love my Steelfiber i95's in my MIM irons but I have a set of '22 Forged Tecs with KBS Tgi 85 coming soon and I picked up some Steelfiber i80's to install in them when the stock shafts were the Catalyst's. Should at least be interesting! 

Might be a great combo for you.  I love the i80's.  They are actually 85 grams.  I get more distance than the Nippon 750GH's which are actually lighter than the i80.s.  Let me know what you think when you play them.  It is the grail for me.

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

Most every player goes through slumps. Being newly married with a kid is not easy. But as Butch said, does Rickie want to be a Kardashian or a great player? Does he want to pick up every good sponsorship thrown at him or does he want to play in majors? Maybe it's just a slump. Or maybe he needs to stop giving up so much of his time and energy to his bank account if he wants to be a great pro and play in majors. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. Me too. I absolutely am sure that his down slide is a mental issue. It’s just so hard to keep in a good mental place in this game. Even if you’re winning , you can mess up and lose the vibe and suddenly you doubt yourself or the method , and poof. It’s gone. 

Agree about the mental place comment.  Played with a friend yesterday.   He's been playing for 30 years and couldn't find the driver at all.  On the last hole of the day I told him his ball position looked pretty far back to me.  He hit another one and striped it.  He went to the range after and hit 30 good drives in a row...all because of ball position.  Golf can be nuts!

As for Rickie, it's a slump.  Putts not dropping, more pressure to hit it closer, drive it longer and down the rabbit hole we go...

• Like 1

Well, I hope this thread has the same outcome as the what happened to Jordan thread today. Waiting for someone to say he will soon be in the booth at golf channel. Hahaha

why can’t the guy have a break to establish his family and enjoy life. How many of us on here had a major life alteration upon being married and having a kid?

Wouldn’t we all like to have the passive income that Rickie does? It’s no stress that way. 

He is a competitor and obviously has the ability to play really well. But, maybe at this point he is torn about what his priorities are.

I for one would like to see him get a major. He plays fast, is not a jerk (at least from what I have seen) and is a good ambassador for the game. 

Getting married the right way is a major adjustment. It takes time to find balance and come to grips with how selfish we are (I am). Getting married is usually a hard confrontation that it is time to be a man instead of just going on bro trips to tropical islands.

Many in Rickie’s age bracket have had the same struggles… Jordan and Rory to name a couple. 

Anyhow, I’ll keep reading these because they are entertaining.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, grm24 said:

From last year.

My bad then !!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I believe he will make a few cuts but I don't think he will ever win again. I'm wondering how much time is left on his contract with Cobra/Puma as come 2023 we may not see much of RF as we are seeing very little now except for his commercials. Any comeback will not get noticed much as he will never be at the level he once was. I don't think it bothers him as much as people think as he is pretty well set for life. I do hope he proves all of us wrong

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

58 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I believe he will make a few cuts but I don't think he will ever win again. I'm wondering how much time is left on his contract with Cobra/Puma as come 2023 we may not see much of RF as we are seeing very little now except for his commercials. Any comeback will not get noticed much as he will never be at the level he once was. I don't think it bothers him as much as people think as he is pretty well set for life. I do hope he proves all of us wrong

Forever's a really long time.  I'm a Rickie critic but for me consider a guy who is a similar level talent (national team during peak years, win every few years) Kuch has just top 3d in consecutive starts at 10 years older than Rickie.  If I had to guess on Rickie's eventual career win total I'd take under 10 for sure but he's got 3-4 more wins in him.

14 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

He had a couple of good years . Many pro athletes are streaky and he ran his course

I think due to outsized media representation, more was expected of him

Once his putting deteriorated-he lost his best weapon and slid downhill

From late 2014 through most of 2019, Rickie was perennially top 10 owgr, and was very often down low as 4th-7th. 

Didn’t translate to wins and that’s a huge disappointment. I’m sure to him more than anyone. 

But that’s 5+ years of being legit top performer. Not top-50 or top-20, but a constant top-10 and top-5 player, year in and year out. 

His media and Sponsors were multiples higher than most anybody else, besides like Tiger Phil and Rory, so, yes, far in excess of his success on the course. 

But the idea he was just a “mimbo” getting paid for his charm and looks is not accurate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

From late 2014 through most of 2019, Rickie was perennially top 10 owgr, and was very often down low as 4th-7th. 

Didn’t translate to wins and that’s a huge disappointment. I’m sure to him more than anyone. 

But that’s 5+ years of being legit top performer. Not top-50 or top-20, but a constant top-10 and top-5 player, year in and year out. 

His media and Sponsors were multiples higher than most anybody else, besides like Tiger Phil and Rory, so, yes, far in excess of his success on the course. 

But the idea he was just a “mimbo” getting paid for his charm and looks is not accurate. 

Right, Rickie was a consistent top 20 player from 2014-2018. Even in 2019 when Rickie finished the year ranked 23rd he had a win, a runner up finish, and 2 top 10s in majors

I don't understand why Rickie refused to play tournaments like the Zurich or any of the alternate field events. I personally think that's his best chance to notch a few top finishes and get some FEC points.

If I was him and the confidence in my game was shot I'd play every opportunity that I have on tour while I'm exempt.

He should honestly play the following tournaments this year:

Byron Nelson, JDC, Barbasol, Barracuda 

Also should've considered playing these earlier in the season:

Puerto Rico Open, Corales Puntacana 

If he can't even contend at these Rickie won't hold a tour card long

1 hour ago, Cincy_Ken said:

Forever's a really long time.  I'm a Rickie critic but for me consider a guy who is a similar level talent (national team during peak years, win every few years) Kuch has just top 3d in consecutive starts at 10 years older than Rickie.  If I had to guess on Rickie's eventual career win total I'd take under 10 for sure but he's got 3-4 more wins in him.

3-4 more wins? I will bet the under with grandma's heart surgery money 

Edited by freeze16172002
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Right, Rickie was a consistent top 20 player from 2014-2018. Even in 2019 when Rickie finished the year ranked 23rd he had a win, a runner up finish, and 2 top 10s in majors

I don't understand why Rickie refused to play tournaments like the Zurich or any of the alternate field events. I personally think that's his best chance to notch a few top finishes and get some FEC points.

If I was him and the confidence in my game was shot I'd play every opportunity that I have on tour while I'm exempt.

I agree with your scheduling strategy if his goal was building success but my guess is Puma, Farmers, and Grant Thornton aren't interested in him top 10ing at Barbasol.  I was in the car during the Players and about every ad was Grant Thornton with Rickie who didn't even qualify.

And I agree he was a consistent top 20 player for 5 years but there's a lot of guys who've passed him and more talented players come out every year.  I don't think he'll ever be a top 20 player again but he's talented enough to be a top 50 player.  The top 10 alone is guys younger than Fowler besides Rory and DJ and no matter the age those guys are in another planet talent wise than Fowler.

35 minutes ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Well, actually my point was not that he was a perennial top-20 player for 5 years

It was that he was a perennial top-10 player for 5 years. Often as higher and high as #4

Here are his owgr years 2014-2019. 2019 shown most recent….

9EF3A3C6-977B-4AAC-9D27-4C8654F2373A.jpeg

C8E0752A-D57A-494F-B79E-E1EB7C2B4509.jpeg

5F16C4B9-A0CC-439F-9B44-01A0172BCDA7.jpeg

26813B5F-EE03-40C2-945D-4C45F80127C1.jpeg

D2416F4B-BAC1-4781-A36C-336A996A455E.jpeg

4C5551A1-D02D-40C0-AFFB-8788C4932FAC.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

How many of you guys on this thread that say Rickie will never win again also said unequivocally that Tiger would never win again before he won three times including the Masters?  So much for your opinions....eh?

To be fair there is a quite a difference in the pedigree of Tiger Woods vs Rickie Fowler. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Well, actually my point was not that he was a perennial top-20 player for 5 years

It was that he was a perennial top-10 player for 5 years. Often as higher and high as #4

Here are his owgr years 2014-2019. 2019 shown most recent….

9EF3A3C6-977B-4AAC-9D27-4C8654F2373A.jpeg

C8E0752A-D57A-494F-B79E-E1EB7C2B4509.jpeg

5F16C4B9-A0CC-439F-9B44-01A0172BCDA7.jpeg

26813B5F-EE03-40C2-945D-4C45F80127C1.jpeg

D2416F4B-BAC1-4781-A36C-336A996A455E.jpeg

4C5551A1-D02D-40C0-AFFB-8788C4932FAC.jpeg

Right. He was in contention a lot from 2014-2019. Even had 7 worldwide wins and 3 runner-ups in majors in that timespan is actually some topnotch golf. For the sake of comparison, Scottie Scheffler has only won 6 times total as a pro (I think he'll pass Rickie's PGA Tour win count before 4th of July at the pace he's going.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

That's not what those yahoos that said he would never win again said.  Go back and read it.  Mark this thread and read it AFTER Rickie wins again!

Those "yahoos" were comparing Tiger to Rickie? Tiger is arguably the greatest golfer all time that was doubted because of age and injuries. Rickie has 5 wins in 13 years Tiger had 71 in 13. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Most every player goes through slumps. Being newly married with a kid is not easy. But as Butch said, does Rickie want to be a Kardashian or a great player? Does he want to pick up every good sponsorship thrown at him or does he want to play in majors? Maybe it's just a slump. Or maybe he needs to stop giving up so much of his time and energy to his bank account if he wants to be a great pro and play in majors. 

People always leave out Rickie's smart-alec answer to Butch which was "Both!".  Butch also said he didn't think anyone ever talked to Rickie like that before.  Butch dumped Rickie and the results speak for themselves.

Edited by pcmancini
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

Those "yahoos" were comparing Tiger to Rickie? Tiger is arguably the greatest golfer all time that was doubted because of age and injuries. Rickie has 5 wins in 13 years Tiger had 71 in 13. 

No those Yahoos were saying Tiger would never win again after his leg and back injuries.  Ricky has NO injuries (we know of).  My point was not to compare but to show how valid their opinions are.  You can compare all you want. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

No those Yahoos were saying Tiger would never win again after his leg and back injuries.  Ricky has NO injuries (we know of).  My point was not to compare but to show how valid their opinions are.  You can compare all you want. 

not sure which "yahoos" you're referring to, but i never said anything of the sort about tiger and i still maintain that rickie won't ever win again.

tiger was thinking about how to win again while laid up in the hospital.  rickie doesn't even seem like he's thinking about winning when he's on the course.

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

29 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

not sure which "yahoos" you're referring to, but i never said anything of the sort about tiger and i still maintain that rickie won't ever win again.

tiger was thinking about how to win again while laid up in the hospital.  rickie doesn't even seem like he's thinking about winning when he's on the course.

What Rickie thinkin….

Hey babe.

Yeah babe?

What ya thinkin about? Missing the Masters this year? Losing your golfer card thing?

Nah

What then?

Was thinking if I should get nachos grandes or carne fajitas. 

A9250697-3BE4-4B09-8A79-E008BD6B7F37.jpeg

• Haha 2