2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

This annoys me about golfers....

On the other side of the coin, I have a friend that will whack his putt 10 feet past the hole and then complain the green is faster than the previous ones.  Nah, man, you got all of that putt.  

Another guy that I played with kept saying he caught a flier whenever he duffed a shot.  

I do admit that I'm guilty of this behavior, after a bad shot, I'll say, "Yikes, that was a bad swing."  

• Haha 1

Honestly i prefer to talk a little golf when you're out there. I mean you're with the same 3 other guys for like 4 hours a couple of times a week. Only so much you can be like "so how's the wife, bill" or "boy the stock market is doing OK this week right Jim"

I mean i don't mind if guys are talking about their games like 20% of the time

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

What else are you going to do with the 5 minutes between shots? Golf is the slowest action sport /game. Cant think of anything slower outside of of non-tournament chess.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

OP probably doesn't play much Tennis. In college, most of my teamates had a pretty constant running commentary when they weren't chucking racquets into the fences ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I'll take it over the bad break/bad luck talk, at least these guys own up to the poor shot being their own fault hahaha.

Not the lies fault, the tee box isn't level, the grass isn't mowed, the ball was below my feet, the sun was in my eyes, the glare off my wedge, the bird chirped at me, the guy in the other fairway walked by, the bad bounce, the wind, the wife, my phones vibrating in my pocket, and any other of the many "distractions" people suffer from lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

4 hours ago, kmay__ said:

I'll take it over the bad break/bad luck talk, at least these guys own up to the poor shot being their own fault hahaha.

Not the lies fault, the tee box isn't level, the grass isn't mowed, the ball was below my feet, the sun was in my eyes, the glare off my wedge, the bird chirped at me, the guy in the other fairway walked by, the bad bounce, the wind, the wife, my phones vibrating in my pocket, and any other of the many "distractions" people suffer from lol.

We used to play with a cheater hack that was full of these sorts of excuses. Two of the best were he once accused us of farting in his backswing, when it was actually a frog croaking.  Second he was certain he got to replay a putt because a leaf blew across the line while the putt was rolling (it did not hit the leaf)

On 4/19/2022 at 11:06 PM, isaacbm said:

image.jpeg.f0eb721e57117ddd5b39b8c4f82c145b.jpeg

Isn't everything on a recreational golf website? I know I wouldn't be here if people started talking about important things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

5 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

I find it annoying when someone tries to analyze the fault on every bad swing, especially if they aren't a very good player, but I don't mind the verbal descriptions of a bad shot, like 'chunky monkey', 'toed the wet sprocket', 'fatty arbuckle', or 'thin to win'.

My personal favorite is "David Hosselhoff just showed up on set"

• Haha 1

Basketball players do this all the time.  Throw up a 3 and you know It’s a bad one. You yell  “ off off “ or “ short “ to try to tell your guys where the rebound is coming off. 

i talk to myself.  Lol. Get over it or get used to it … makes no difference to me.  I can always find someone to play with. 

Edited by bladehunter

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My verbal comments after a shot are usually limited to “oh COME ON man, D#MN!” 😁

It is important to limit the negativity though. Some players take it too far and it can get annoying. There have been times where I’ve wanted to say “golf IS fun, right?” 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

It is just part of golf. I don't know anyone that doesn't comment on a fat shot, or a thin shot immediately after the swing. I also play basketball, and everyone bitches about their game as far as know.

I like to tell a thin shot "spin b***ch!" because it is usually heading off the back of the green.

I think vanity cappers are probably the worst at coming up with excuses for a poor shot. You can see them coming a mile away. We got paired up with a guy last year who told us on the tee box he was "mid single digits", "but will play from the blues to keep the round moving." Then he had to tell us "I haven't played since (some no name amateur) tournament, so I could be a bit rusty." I don't have to say what happened during the round. Story is already on this forum at least 100x. As soon as I heard that I wanted to see if he would bet, but I also assumed (correctly) that golf rules were more of an outline, than something to adhere to completely.

I have a great friend who loves to talk about golf swing. We often play hurry up lunch rounds and literally he talks highly technical golf swing stuff from the opening shot to the last putt. That is hard to deal with. I had to learn to just nod along and change the subject as many times as possible, because eventually some of that stuff penetrates and I would play terribly with him.

5 minutes ago, RmoorePE said:

I have a great friend who loves to talk about golf swing. We often play hurry up lunch rounds and literally he talks highly technical golf swing stuff from the opening shot to the last putt.

i see you’ve played golf with my brother in law 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

I could come up with a list of hundreds of things that annoy me about golfers ... this would not crack the list.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 4/21/2022 at 6:59 AM, MtlJeff said:

Honestly i prefer to talk a little golf when you're out there. I mean you're with the same 3 other guys for like 4 hours a couple of times a week. Only so much you can be like "so how's the wife, bill" or "boy the stock market is doing OK this week right Jim"

I mean i don't mind if guys are talking about their games like 20% of the time

I mean silence is fine too if there's nothing to talk about.  I'd cringe if those small talk questions were the topic of conversation every week with my playing partners, but I also despise small talk, and luckily hang around people who are of a similar mindset.  

On the topic - there's a guy I play with once in a while, and it's only once in a whiel because I can only handle him in small doses, is like this.  Every shot he expects to hit it like a touring pro and if not he gives an explanation of it.   Great drive down the fairway "I HIT IT OFF THE TOE".  It's hard to say the habit the OP brings up annoys me about all golfers, we all do it on some level, but you certainly don't need to do it after every damn shot. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 4/19/2022 at 8:37 PM, nikeblades00 said:

I'm a pretty decent golfer, and play with other decent to very good golfers. One thing that has always annoyed me is the need for golfers to always explain themselves after a poor shot, or a less than perfect shot. For example: 'I hit that off the heel', 'I toed it', 'I chunked it', 'I pulled it' etc... It's almost universal. I've always been of the school of thought that there is no reason to explain, golf is a game of misses, learn from it and move on.

In no other sport do athletes immediately blurt out what they did wrong. Basketball players don't give an explanation after missing a jump shot, baseball players don't do it after fouling out. It goes on and on for other sports. Sure it happens sometimes but it's not after every single play.

Now I do have a theory why golfers do it. But just wanted to see what others think about this, is it annoying or completely part of the game?

You'd hate our group, all 25 of us. It's part of the game.

I think it's entertaining. Sometimes a little overboard, but hey, we're usually having a good time.

It happens in every sport at every level, you're just not on the field of play to hear it. Check out an NFL lineman who gets called for holding of misses a block. Baseball guy go to the dugout yelling and thowing stuff, and worse.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I mean silence is fine too if there's nothing to talk about.  I'd cringe if those small talk questions were the topic of conversation every week with my playing partners, but I also despise small talk, and luckily hang around people who are of a similar mindset.  

On the topic - there's a guy I play with once in a while, and it's only once in a whiel because I can only handle him in small doses, is like this.  Every shot he expects to hit it like a touring pro and if not he gives an explanation of it.   Great drive down the fairway "I HIT IT OFF THE TOE".  It's hard to say the habit the OP brings up annoys me about all golfers, we all do it on some level, but you certainly don't need to do it after every damn shot. 

This is spot on. In agreement. My core group is awesome. Alot of times we don't even talk for 15 minute stretches. We talk some current events but 15 minutes on Russia/Ukraine is it tops, we all do our own thing. It's not uncommon for us to even finish a hole out super early to then go on a 5 minute phone call. 

But I'm also playing with some other guys, more of the cool guy hipsters and they feel the need to explain everything even tho they can't break 80.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

You'd hate our group, all 25 of us. It's part of the game.

I think it's entertaining. Sometimes a little overboard, but hey, we're usually having a good time.

It happens in every sport at every level, you're just not on the field of play to hear it. Check out an NFL lineman who gets called for holding of misses a block. Baseball guy go to the dugout yelling and thowing stuff, and worse.

That's fine for an NFL lineman, he's pretty much the best of the best. They have a right to say anything and I'm all ears. But when hacks who can't break 80 or 90 need to explain every detail of why they missed the shot, man f*** that!😂

Hell even a scratch golfer I don't want to hear his whining. Unless it's a travelling scratch then I'll listen and maybe learn something 😉

On 4/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, kmay__ said:

It's never my fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t mind a quick, short  comment. But two people in our group want to tell you about every shot.  In depth.   And unfortunately there are usually a lot of them. Good guys, but honestly, I’m always happy when I don’t get them in my group in the ball toss. 

But as a positive, it’s made me be quite aware of what, if anything, I say after my shots. Which isn’t much anymore. 

• Like 1