Volunteering, and the LIV tour... (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

manku

9 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Nice! Ya I can see how people would be into doing this type of thing. 

I think @TiScape does Shotlink for an event. He seems to really enjoy.  Right TiS?

Oh yeah. I did it last at The Genesis. After completing my Shotlink duties at my hole I went inside the ropes and followed the winners group in for the last 4 holes. No better way to get up close to the action. Wonderful experience. Next up for me is next years US Open at LACC. Me on the right with the sunglasses 😎 on. 

2E501E57-5AE6-42E7-9B7A-24756088F480.jpeg

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Marty86 said:

Generally speaking if a charity uses less than 50% of funds for actual charitable work then its a sham. And too many are like that.

Should be less than 10% admin overhead for a well run charity 

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

6 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Oh yeah. I did it last at The Genesis. After completing my Shotlink duties at my hole I went inside the ropes and followed the winners group in for the last 4 holes. No better way to get up close to the action. Wonderful experience. Next up for me is next years US Open at LACC. Me on the right with the sunglasses 😎 on. 

2E501E57-5AE6-42E7-9B7A-24756088F480.jpeg

TiS be like:

hey cam, nice shirt. does it come in a schmedium?

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Haha 4

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

On 6/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, Marty86 said:

If you live in the US or Canda then we barely use any Middle East oil, we source 5-6% usually so not sure where people get their information from. 

About 7 Billion gallons a year,,,,,,,, in the U.S. alone.

Still a pretty nice chunk of change.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

OK, take it a bit easy on me guys. hide.gif

I love to play and I like to watch on TV. In person ? Not so much though I've been to some tournaments.

When did this start happening ?

I am agog. I am aghast. People are PAYING to "volunteer". shocked.gif Actually, if they are paying, aren't they the bosses ? :classic_smile:

In 2002, I lived an worked less than 30 minutes from Bethpage. A lot of the other employees at my HQ (about 750), who played golf, would stick their heads in my office and ask me if I was volunteering (also). Apparently a good number of them were.

I told them "No way. I've played Bethpage Black at least 200 times (most many years earlier) and I want to watch every shot and see if they're (the talking heads) telling us the truth about the difficulty of the shots or the putts."

Now I don't know if this "pay to volunteer" had started yet but I don't recall a single person telling me they had to pay to volunteer. In that case I'd have  hysterical2.gifhysterical2.gifhysterical2.gif

Titleist Pro V1X

10 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

OK, take it a bit easy on me guys. hide.gif

I love to play and I like to watch on TV. In person ? Not so much though I've been to some tournaments.

When did this start happening ?

I am agog. I am aghast. People are PAYING to "volunteer". shocked.gif Actually, if they are paying, aren't they the bosses ? :classic_smile:

In 2002, I lived an worked less than 30 minutes from Bethpage. A lot of the other employees at my HQ (about 750), who played golf, would stick their heads in my office and ask me if I was volunteering (also). Apparently a good number of them were.

I told them "No way. I've played Bethpage Black at least 200 times (most many years earlier) and I want to watch every shot and see if they're (the talking heads) telling us the truth about the difficulty of the shots or the putts."

Now I don't know if this "pay to volunteer" had started yet but I don't recall a single person telling me they had to pay to volunteer. In that case I'd have  hysterical2.gifhysterical2.gifhysterical2.gif

I paid $75 to volunteer at Genesis. That got me a Nike Genesis hat, polo and jacket. Free food all 4 days, 4 tickets to give to friends/family and obviously access to the event inside the ropes all 4 days… I think a one day ticket for the general public was at least $70 a day??? So, I’d say not a bad deal. I compare my experience to doing the “chain gang” at an NFL game. I bet ppl would pay a pretty penny for that experience. 

Edited by TiScape

8 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

In 2002, I lived an worked less than 30 minutes from Bethpage.

nsx where were you in NY?

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

1 minute ago, ChipStrokes said:

nsx where were you in NY?

Generally, western Nassau, near Garden City.

Titleist Pro V1X

Just now, nsxguy said:

Generally, western Nassau, near Garden City.

yup, i know it well! i grew up in floral park, and bought a house in franklin square before fleeing to connecticut during covid.  

• Like 1

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

11 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

Paying to 'volunteer' = indentured servitude .

"If I hold up the 'Quiet Please' sign for two hours, will you bring my comely wife to the new world on your sailing ship?"

Check my post above under yours… hardly. Definitely depends what you do. Shotlink is the way to go. Get stuck somewhere away from the action. I can see your point. 

5 hours ago, oikos1 said:

You are correct about it's 501(c)(6) status, but that is not how the PGA Tour, or the Media involved with the PGA Tour, is portrayed. 

That's what makes it such a good scam.

"The Tour only made direct charitable contributions of $42.7 million in 2018, which is a paltry 3% of their $1.47 billion in revenue. While the Tour publicly takes credit for $190 million in charity, that inflated number reflects the total given by the tour and the local non-profits that put on the tournaments."

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2021/12/22/lets_stop_pretending_that_the_pga_tour_is_a_charity_808930.html

And your point? The events they put on help charities, why does the PGAT need to touch every dollar given to charity? The events they put on help charities, that is a good thing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I paid $75 to volunteer at Genesis. That got me a Nike Genesis hat, polo and jacket. Free food all 4 days, 4 tickets to give to friends/family and obviously access to the event inside the ropes all 4 days… I think a one day ticket for the general public was at least $70 a day??? So, I’d say not a bad deal. I compare my experience to doing the “chain gang” at an NFL game. I bet ppl would pay a pretty penny for that experience. 

Went to the Genesis this year to see the course.  Really cool event.  Stayed about three hours.  To get me to go to the event all four days I’d charge between $1,500 and $2,000 plus a round at Riv. That’s just me.  Everyone is different and I respect the volunteers.  

54 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Did you get free beer? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, oikos1 said:

You are correct about it's 501(c)(6) status, but that is not how the PGA Tour, or the Media involved with the PGA Tour, is portrayed. 

That's what makes it such a good scam.

"The Tour only made direct charitable contributions of $42.7 million in 2018, which is a paltry 3% of their $1.47 billion in revenue. While the Tour publicly takes credit for $190 million in charity, that inflated number reflects the total given by the tour and the local non-profits that put on the tournaments."

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2021/12/22/lets_stop_pretending_that_the_pga_tour_is_a_charity_808930.html

Hardly a scam. Keep in mind the events make donations and support charities directly (not running it through the PGAT at all) and then PGAT does make some contributions. If there were no PGAT tour events  some of those funds would should surely go away. 

Given the PGAT tour has zero legal or tax requirement to give to charity, I am not sure why people complain about how much they do give and how much the events on the tour give. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bcjim said:

Are financial statements available for the tour? What are their expenses? Where does the 1.47B in revenue go? Are those "upset" about the tour finances also upset about general corporate tax rates? Expanded pass throughs?  To be fair, the tour does facilitate a lot of tax revenue. Golfers making millions pay a lot of taxes.

Yes they are public as required for non-profit. You can look up the details with a fast google search. 

19 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

A close friend volunteered at the PGA event in Houston this past year.  Think he got clothes, food and a free round of golf somewhere close for his services.  He also get a complimentary verbal lashing from Matthew Wolff for not finding his lost ball, priceless.

LMAO... I guess the proper response to Matt Wolff would be...

image.jpeg.7a16acf31496d479c87d5a3e1a5fa66a.jpeg

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, So_Cal said:

What’s up with adult sign bearers?  When I was growing up the tour event would only let kids do it.  The job was not seen as something for adults.  Times change I guess. 

Growing up (when I was a kid) I used to do it for the PGA event they had in my hometown. I'd say it was about 90% kids and 10% adults. They used to always put the adults with the final groups on the weekends. 

I sort of assumed that was because you can't always count on a kid to maintain proper etiquette for 5+ hours. I could easily see a kid accidentally sneezing or dropping the sign at a crucial moment coming down the stretch and I think this was sort of their way of minimizing that risk.

That being said, it was always a blast to do. The players were always nice and they always gave us some stuff after the round. Pretty sure I still have some signed gloves and balls from guys like Brad Faxon, Lee Janzen, and etc. sitting in my parents attic. 

1 hour ago, So_Cal said:

Went to the Genesis this year to see the course.  Really cool event.  Stayed about three hours.  To get me to go to the event all four days I’d charge between $1,500 and $2,000 plus a round at Riv. That’s just me.  Everyone is different and I respect the volunteers.  

I should add that I do it with my son. It’s a father/son experience that we won’t soon forget. So possibly a different experience for me than some. I’ll add that I wouldn’t go for all 4 days either  as a spectator even if the tickets were free. Not nearly the experience IMO of being involved and inside the ropes. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, Marty86 said:

If you live in the US or Canda then we barely use any Middle East oil, we source 5-6% usually so not sure where people get their information from. 

5-6% of $5 per gallon is still .25 per gallon in cost. That adds up fast when a car averages 15 gallons per gas once per week. Easy to see how the hundreds of millions add up. Everyone throws around the 5-6% number but 5-6% of trillions of dollars is a lot of money that we pass along. 

15 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

5-6% of $5 per gallon is still .25 per gallon in cost. That adds up fast when a car averages 15 gallons per gas once per week. Easy to see how the hundreds of millions add up. Everyone throws around the 5-6% number but 5-6% of trillions of dollars is a lot of money that we pass along. 

If it wasn't for the fact that that US drills a higher quality crude that they export rather than use inhouse we wouldn't even need to import. But we can export a higher profit product and use a lower cost product. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aus10KC said:

It doesn't make sense to pay volunteers as it's just for a week, and many only work a day or two. Also having them pay with perks helps guarantee they show up, would paying decrease the number of no shows?

And if you pay volunteers, it is no longer called volunteering, it is called work. I get it, I want to work my 2 hours, get all the swag then get free tickets all week. That isn't how volunteering works sadly.

2 hours ago, So_Cal said:

What’s up with adult sign bearers?  When I was growing up the tour event would only let kids do it.  The job was not seen as something for adults.  Times change I guess. 

kids are at home wiping out old dudes on Call of Duty these days.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

2 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

A close friend volunteered at the PGA event in Houston this past year.  Think he got clothes, food and a free round of golf somewhere close for his services.  He also get a complimentary verbal lashing from Matthew Wolff for not finding his lost ball, priceless.

MW .... " dude where's my ball ! WTH buddy ! "

vol .... " well your funky azz swing hit it here somewhere "

Paraphrasing of course 👍

5 hours ago, BottleCap said:

I wonder what the gift is at the end? $$ Gas Card $$ ?

Funny, but the volunteer gifts were listed in my comment at the end. Tournament logoed golf towel for working one shift and a round at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club (Ghost Course). That is on top of all the other stuff you get for volunteering.