2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

40 minutes ago, m d g said:

The link is here but might be blocked (I have a subscription).

https://www.wsj.com/sports/golf/jon-rahm-liv-pga-tour-2341016e?mod=Searchresults_pos2&page=1

Moderators please delete if this has already been covered.

My thoughts; always take the money...

I think DJ said it pretty well once - I’m getting paid more to work less. Any other job that decision is a no brainer. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mosesgolf said:

Seen some reports of $450million deal for Rahm to LIV.  Wow... Rumors of Day going too.

Who would turn down that kind of money plus JR gets to play all the majors too.

People can hate on LIV all they want, but Rahm would be idiotic to turn down $450M. That generation after generation money.  He already has lifetime exemption to the only tournament that matters in Augusta (unless they change their rules....highly unlikely).  

I'm not a LIV promoter. I have said this here or an earlier thread though: At some point, you have to be willing to bring someone (a society for example) that you don't like into the fold. 

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

20 hours ago, jdl said:

To be clear, these OWGR requirements you've listed as for a TOUR, not an EVENT. There's no explicit requirement that each event meet these in order to get OWGR points, obviously the Masters does not have any open qualification process as it's an invitational. The problem LIV has is that ALL of their events and their entire tour has no open access via qualification.

I'm not thrilled that the Hero gets points but they are reduced at least, Scottie only gets 30 points vs 80 for winning the Players or 65 for winning in Phoenix.

They have qualification now.  Not like tour school by any means and needs to be expanded.

19 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

So what ? LIV is a "frat party" hand selected field of 48. 

....well sounds like these two things have something in common 🤣

Edited by CDM

Yeah I mean he's got his major invites for the next 10+ years, and thats what he primarily cares about (from what I remember him talking about) combined with the Ryder Cup, which he can still qualify for.  I'd take that money honestly.  While this makes me want to watch LIV 0% more, good for Jon.

• Like 3
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

20 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

If the Titanic had 50% of the last 5 years major winners on it. The PGA is losing fast and somehow leadership remains the same....

They lost the moment they agreed to the cease fire. PIF owns professional golf now and will remake it into whatever image they wish. They will go after the majors next and then the ruling bodies. PGAT leadership hasn't mattered since they surrendered. Replacing them now is irrelevant.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Yeah I mean he's got his major invites for the next 10+ years, and thats what he primarily cares about (from what I remember him talking about) combined with the Ryder Cup, which he can still qualify for.  I'd take that money honestly.  While this makes me want to watch LIV 0% more, good for Jon.

I don’t think Euros can qualify for the Ryder cup from LIV. At least they could not in this one. I’ve no seen anything indicating otherwise.

• Like 3

I don't have to like it but I can't blame Rahm for taking the money. Life of a PGA player is living out of a suitcase for the better part of the year and can't be all that conducive for a young family. When you're in your early 20's with not a worry in the world I'm sure that kind of life is fun but it has to get old. Golf doesn't really have a season because it's year round. If the PGA had defined season with a break of several months like most other major sports it might be a good move for the game. It appears LIV is offering this kind of life and it has to be attractive for those players who have slogged the PGA life for many years. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, maowv said:

I just don't care anymore. Can't care anymore.

Personally, I will never watch LIV golf, not a minute of it, no matter who departs for that show.

As for Rahm, or Cantlay, or Xander, or whomever else talks about "it's not about the money" in public and then acts differently behind closed doors - do what you want to do and own your badge of hypocrisy. Don't talk about it publicly, or don't scold the media when they report in advance what you actually end up doing later. Take the money, just shut up about it and own your decision. I'm not saying I even blame them as nobody ever offered me $600 million to quit one job for another, or whatever absurd numbers these numbers actually are.

I've watched less golf, and played more golf, in the past 12 months than in the past 3-4 golf seasons combined. Didn't watch 3 of the Majors this year for the first time in 30 years. Didn't watch the Ryder Cup for the first time in 30 years. Have never watched LIV. And discovered that my golf game has improved the more I play and the less I watch.

Hard to be concerned over millionnaires complaining about how bad they have it and how they need better working conditions and pay. They have no idea how the rest of the world lives.

Couldn't agree more.

Golf fans continue to take massive L's this year.

• Like 2

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

40 minutes ago, maowv said:

I just don't care anymore. Can't care anymore.

Personally, I will never watch LIV golf, not a minute of it, no matter who departs for that show.

As for Rahm, or Cantlay, or Xander, or whomever else talks about "it's not about the money" in public and then acts differently behind closed doors - do what you want to do and own your badge of hypocrisy. Don't talk about it publicly, or don't scold the media when they report in advance what you actually end up doing later. Take the money, just shut up about it and own your decision. I'm not saying I even blame them as nobody ever offered me $600 million to quit one job for another, or whatever absurd numbers these numbers actually are.

I've watched less golf, and played more golf, in the past 12 months than in the past 3-4 golf seasons combined. Didn't watch 3 of the Majors this year for the first time in 30 years. Didn't watch the Ryder Cup for the first time in 30 years. Have never watched LIV. And discovered that my golf game has improved the more I play and the less I watch.

Hard to be concerned over millionnaires complaining about how bad they have it and how they need better working conditions and pay. They have no idea how the rest of the world lives.

Well said.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

50 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Can’t really blame a guy for taking $300m….although owning a LIV team might reduce than number as time goes on.🤣

But Ryder Cup?  He’ll no longer be a member in good standing of the DP Tour…you think they’re changing the rules for him?

• Haha 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

LOL!

IMG_8360.jpeg

Obviously no drug testing in LIV 

• Haha 2

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

39 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

But Ryder Cup?  He’ll no longer be a member in good standing of the DP Tour…you think they’re changing the rules for him?

Will be pretty tough to say that you have "Europe's best" if they leave him off.  

Hopefully they decide to be honest about who really plays in the Ryder Cup.  I.e, "tour brass approved" golfers.

• Like 1

Seems like this is coming in short order:   LIV to change format to 72 holes with primary 12-teams joined by an additional 6 teams who must qualify on a Monday "team shoot out".    There are 12 to 16 teams trying to qualify on Monday for those 6 team spots. 

Suddenly, OWGR has to notice.  Put microphones on every golf bag to capture conversations while limiting 80% of the announcer talk.  Dump the on course music.  Dump the shotgun start and send them off the front and back simutaneously.

• Like 4

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

1 hour ago, CCTxGolf said:

I don’t think Euros can qualify for the Ryder cup from LIV. At least they could not in this one. I’ve no seen anything indicating otherwise.

Oh that could be.  I just assumed it was similar to the US qualifying but now that you mention it I realize its different.  Either way, I'd assume that Rahm's points from it would keep him up towards at least the capt pick range.  

57 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Can’t really blame a guy for taking $300m….although owning a LIV team might reduce than number as time goes on.🤣

That I'm not sure, I was just thinking Brooks qualified via a major essentially, so I figured it was the same.  Apologies.  

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

22 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

Seems like this is coming in short order:   LIV to change format to 72 holes with primary 12-teams joined by an additional 6 teams who must qualify on a Monday "team shoot out".    There are 12 to 16 teams trying to qualify on Monday for those 6 team spots. 

Suddenly, OWGR has to notice.  Put microphones on every golf bag to capture conversations while limiting 80% of the announcer talk.  Dump the on course music.  Dump the shotgun start and send them off the front and back simutaneously.

I doubt they go to 72 holes… also 6 teams of Monday qualifiers would be 24 more players…. There is zero chance. That wouldn’t even make sense. 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)