2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

Am I the only one to be annoyed by The Golf Channel's constant belittling of LIV Golf?  I just saw an article by Brandel Chamblee saying he "knows" who started the rumor of Mcilroy going to LIV (the Saudis per Chamblee).  He went on to say how LIV should be embarrassed by their players poor showing in the Masters. I checked and Cam Smith, Bryson Dechambeau tied for 6th; Tyrell Hatton came in 9th; and Patrick Reed came in 12th.  Not to pick on an injury recovering golfer, but Woods finished dead last despite all the Golf Channels coverage of him last week. Plus last year LIV players took the top three spots at the Masters (though Rahm wasn't with LIV at the time). Not to mention Brooks winning last years PGA.  These are decent showings despite the few chances LIV players now have in the majors.     

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StoutKing said:

If LIV is considering paying a player USD $850,000,000 I urge them to consider buying fans.  I would literally watch every tournament for just $10,000/year.  They would instantly have 85,000 fans.  I will even buy a LIV hat and wear it around.  I'm not joking I think it's a good idea if they have that much cash to blow.  Signing players isn't going to help the popularity of the product.

How ‘bout a VW Beetle with a pic on Norman on each side. 

• Haha 3

Post Approval disabled for now. It'll stay that way unless the topic starts to derail again.

While debating and discussion are fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts. Keep this in mind when posting. 

Warnings/suspensions will be issued. Report violations so the topic can stay Approval free. DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tgws said:

If, as I'm told, money is no object to the principals, then I'm surprised they lack the sense to do something like this.  It's business malpractice.

Offer free entry and alcohol at all the events and some sort of lottery where a few fans walk away with 100k or whatever.  Who cares, there's unlimited funds.

Instead, their model pays a couple billion to a few players and then charges $68 for a ticket and 11 bucks a beer.

How can they be so obtuse?

Yep, fans have to feed their families as well. I'd take the bag to watch a few hard to watch LIV tournaments.🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cristphoto said:

Am I the only one to be annoyed by The Golf Channel's constant belittling of LIV Golf?  I just saw an article by Brandel Chamblee saying he "knows" who started the rumor of Mcilroy going to LIV (the Saudis per Chamblee).  He went on to say how LIV should be embarrassed by their players poor showing in the Masters. I checked and Cam Smith, Bryson Dechambeau tied for 6th; Tyrell Hatton came in 9th; and Patrick Reed came in 12th.  Not to pick on an injury recovering golfer, but Woods finished dead last despite all the Golf Channels coverage of him last week. Plus last year LIV players took the top three spots at the Masters (though Rahm wasn't with LIV at the time). Not to mention Brooks winning last years PGA.  These are decent showings despite the few chances LIV players now have in the majors.     

3 hours ago, redfirebird08 said:

Woods did not finish dead last. He outplayed a lot of people who missed the cut, including a LIV star & Masters champion who recently won a LIV event this year (Dustin Johnson). 

It's a simple as they (liv players) did not do as well this year at the Masters as they did the previous year.

IMO what has been mentioned is coming to fruition.  Their games are declining from both lack of play and motivation having already been paid. Discontent... cough Rahm cough...

As many have said and believe, you don't get to just turn it on and play well. You have to put the time and effort in. I'll never believe that 90+% of the liv guys do that.

I don't think half of the liv field would be able to keep a tour card yet they're out there for every tournament playing regardless of whether or not they have the talent to compete at the highest level. Bringing AK on board is a perfect example. I don't care how many people wanted to see him he doesn't deserve to out there with the best players. That's a fact as it's been proven but Normans ego tour must go on. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, idrive said:

It's a simple as they (liv players) did not do as well this year at the Masters as they did the previous year.

IMO what has been mentioned is coming to fruition.  Their games are declining from both lack of play and motivation having already been paid. Discontent... cough Rahm cough...

As many have said and believe, you don't get to just turn it on and play well. You have to put the time and effort in. I'll never believe that 90+% of the liv guys do that.

Meh, these cycles pop up everywhere. Victor hovland has been trash since he locked up the fedex money

• Like 3

New Coke.

Red Lobster all you can eat crab legs that almost bankrupted Red Lobster. 

Bud Light.

Kodak wanting to sell more film and simultaneously inventing the digital camera. 

Blockbuster having the chance to buy Netflix.  

Subway/Jared Fogle.

Crystal Pepsi. 

Apple's mandatory U2 album download.  

RIM's "Blackberry or iPhone?" campaign. 

Based on golf's television ratings, it's only a matter of time before we learn the PGA TOUR hired the same marketing professionals as those listed above.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Burner Superfast fwy 15* 

Taylormade Burner Tour fwy 18*

Adams Prototype hybrid 20*

PXG Gen3 0311XF 5/GW

Cleveland 588 56* & 60*, Putter Yes! Marilyn 

3 hours ago, idrive said:

I don't think half of the liv field would be able to keep a tour card yet they're out there for every tournament playing regardless of whether or not they have the talent to compete at the highest level. Bringing AK on board is a perfect example. I don't care how many people wanted to see him he doesn't deserve to out there with the best players. That's a fact as it's been proven but Normans ego tour must go on. 

You’re right…as a whole they did not play well .  And to the earlier post saying how great those top 12 finishes were……only Bryson was ever a part of the story. If any of them were actually considered a contender during the event I’d give them credit but only Bryson deserves any.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

8 hours ago, jls667 said:

This belief has been stated by many LIV fans, or I should say the LIV sympathetic community. Unfortunately, it's been over two years and it's actually proving to do the opposite. LIV still can't get anyone to watch and PGA Tour ratings have seen a decline. The competing tours has caused a reduction in golf viewership which will likely only hurt the game in the future. 

It's pretty clear at this point that LIV hasn't done anything positive for the golf community, or even the general public at large for that matter (i.e. charitable works), and has rather only been able to cause harm. They wanted to take over the golf world but instead they have not managed to make any inroads in doing so and have actually shrunk the total golf viewership that they wanted to monopolize. 

Oh dear...again.

1. LIV golfs charitable organisation is called LIV to GIVE...$100million so far

2. You're all obsessed with ratings in the USA...the rest of the world ratings bypass you all.

3. Total golf viewership is on Jay. 

8 hours ago, cristphoto said:

5 USA Ryder cup boys didn't make the cut...Brandel ignored that. 

6 hours ago, billyspan said:

Genuinely surprised at the timing and weakness of the field for this week's Saudi Open on the Asian Tour.  I would have thought that more LIV players would be there.

LIV players are in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any claims of some growing international interest in LIV isn't supported by the data.  The only place LIV might be doing semi-well is AUS... a nation with a population 38% smaller than the state of California!  In total traffic LIV, including access to their streaming platform, is 8% of that of the PGA Tour!

So despite the hyperbole and Greg's glad-handing, the fact is LIV has little interest outside the tradition markets that are already penetrated by the PGA Tour. 

image.png.ad1ebbc3bc163125ba7b0178fc62a0ab.png

image.png.34fc6eaa0fe8c6cb96ecbb9774fbb525.png

The PGA Tour Web Traffic:

image.png.2ea4505a8d308f6a2dfdf82e0ed42739.png

image.png.5b590b1708715c12b0c7fe57c70c143b.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I agree with this as well.   I don't like GC's hostile and belittling stance towards LIV.  They should ignore it if they don't like it.   I would rather they just ignore it than obsessively bash it.  There's plenty of great golf to cover and talk about without talking about LIV.   The same GC personalities who have commented on the morality and ethics of doing business with PIF, etc,  don't say anything about the Aramco series with LET where many LPGA players participate.  GC airs Aramco events and no one says a word.  The whole outrage thing about LIV is a bit selective.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, fowlerscousin said:

Meh, these cycles pop up everywhere. Victor hovland has been trash since he locked up the fedex money

It's well known that Victor's problems are from chasing the perfect swing not because he has some extra cash to burn.

If it was about money, he'd have taken the Saudi cash he's been offered repeatedly. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, notsohard said:

Oh dear...again.

1. LIV golfs charitable organisation is called LIV to GIVE...$100million so far

2. You're all obsessed with ratings in the USA...the rest of the world ratings bypass you all.

3. Total golf viewership is on Jay. 

5 USA Ryder cup boys didn't make the cut...Brandel ignored that. 

The US Ryder Cup team that had LIV players on it and was drummed by the non-LIV Euro team? Those Ryder Cup guys?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, billyspan said:

Genuinely surprised at the timing and weakness of the field for this week's Saudi Open on the Asian Tour.  I would have thought that more LIV players would be there.

8 hours ago, notsohard said:

I can see why liv has a bunch of new front office folks after they schedule an event that competes with the Saudi Open.

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, heynow said:

I agree with this as well.   I don't like GC's hostile and belittling stance towards LIV.  They should ignore it if they don't like it.   I would rather they just ignore it than obsessively bash it.  There's plenty of great golf to cover and talk about without talking about LIV.   The same GC personalities who have commented on the morality and ethics of doing business with PIF, etc,  don't say anything about the Aramco series with LET where many LPGA players participate.  GC airs Aramco events and no one says a word.  The whole outrage thing about LIV is a bit selective.

LOL, you must not watch much.  There was hardly any LIV discussion during The Masters on "Live From" other than "routine" this and that, and very little otherwise in the grand scheme of their programming and pretty much never when they are broadcasting an event, unless LIV "creates" news, they are pretty much doing what they should do, which is ignore it.  Even Lynch says little these days - the arguments are so obvious they aren't being made any more and the LIV supporters just keep recycling the same old stuff.  Nothing "belittling", haha.  Some of their commentators are out and out LIV sympathizers and get plenty of play on the daily show.  ESPN and CBS barely mentioned, but Nantz got in one good and uncharacteristic for him dig at the end of the tournament.  But keep making the same points made over and over for two years --- "what about this or that".  

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3