2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should I Buy a Golf Store?

NavyGolf

Have a bit of a situation. 

I will start by saying I have very little experience owning and operating a business. I ran a pretty profitable small business out someones detached garage for a year before joining the Navy 11 years ago but I did not have to experience start up costs or taxes or anything like that. Pretty much PnL, customer service, manufacturing and shipping/receiving. Now that I’m out of the service and have established a career I’ve been thinking about this golf store in town and how it’s in a great location in a town of about 13 thousand people but the ownership has not kept up with current golf trends what so ever. 

It just so happens that the guy who owns it is thinking about getting out of it here soon due to some health issues. The town has a pretty popular golf course with a healthy membership but everybody I talk to about golf equipment ranging anywhere from finding a putter grip to doing a driver fitting they all say they have to drive an hour and a half in one of three directions or order it online because they know this store in town isn’t going to have it. 

I am pretty obsessed with the golf swing and golf equipment/fitting so I would be leaning more towards offering a custom fitting experience and that being the main focus of the business. If any one has some small business or golf store ownership experience and would like to impart some wisdom that would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Would be intrigued if anyone has more information on the golf store business model. Hoping you get a good response.

What I can say is see if you can do some polling with the residents to determine what needs they have, what they would pay for those things etc. That would give an idea of the types of value added services that will bring feet to your store and then build in club sales with good fitting advice. In a small community, you win if you are a well liked and respected local from experience and that would count for a lot.

I am estimating but distributer margins are solid, would think 50-100% GP markup... so depending on volume and the businesses you rep for could work out.

Edited by ewaldbeukes
Add
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

You could get in touch with a non-competitive golf business and talk to them about it. By that, I mean a golf store that's not operating as a competitor to you in another market. I think you can get in touch with them through various small business resources (not 100% sure, but it is a common practice).

That way, you can find a successful model and try to replicate it.

I thought about this myself, actually. 😄

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

One concern in a small town is if a golf business can survive with a small customer base. I live in a small city (~40K) with two golf courses but no standalone golf store, just the small pro shops at the golf courses. The pro shops seem to get most of their 'golf equipment' business from members spending down their tournament winnings credit. Most do travel 90 minutes or more for a fitting when needed, it would be difficult for a small shop to be able to compete with the offerings (club/shaft selection) of one of the big chain fitters. No idea what it would cost to get a good fitting studio up and running but my guess is big $$$'s. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jvincent said:

My two cents. For a town that size, you are going to be hard pressed to get enough volume.

For the fitting business to thrive you need either a large population base and with online sales being so big you won't be able to move enough hard goods unless you've got the traffic that a fitting operation, or large golf destination nearby, supports.

There is a very large golf destination within 30 minutes of this town/shop. I have a family member that caddies there and a few times he has been with groups who have needed various club repairs on a Friday or Saturday night for the rest of their trip and he has brought them to me. I have enough of a personal inventory to piece them together what they need to get through the trip by the next morning. Have a few signed baseballs from former and current big leaguers for the help. 

Sounds kind of like those episodes of 'save my restaurant' on TV where the host asks the owners why its failing and they just go 'oh we dont know, we've never ran a restaurant before, we just bought one and thought it would be fine'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

43 minutes ago, NavyGolf said:

There is a very large golf destination within 30 minutes of this town/shop. I have a family member that caddies there and a few times he has been with groups who have needed various club repairs on a Friday or Saturday night for the rest of their trip and he has brought them to me. I have enough of a personal inventory to piece them together what they need to get through the trip by the next morning. Have a few signed baseballs from former and current big leaguers for the help. 

Seems worth considering whether to try to locate your shop closer to the resort. 

Just because a specific business is for sale in a specific location doesn't mean it's your best move. Easy to forget that. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I gave a lot of thought to this kind of thing about 15 years ago, and have the experience of having owned and sold a successful multi-location retail operation unrelated to golf. 

Without much to go on, I think the market is too small to make much of a business.    If you were the only shop in a town of 100,000, then maybe.   To make this one succeed, I believe you'd have to build some sort of online golf business that would be your actual money maker, with the local market being a nice supplement.  There are still niches to be exploited in the online business.  Long putters for example.  Single length irons, maybe.  Full sets of hybrids or fairway woods.  Shorter and longer drivers, things like that that are not what everyone else is selling. 

Otherwise, this store is a hobby in which you might make or more likely lose money, unless the rent is super super cheap. 

This advice is worth what you paid for it!  🙂

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

If it was me I might ask the owner to see the books to see if it's even bringing in any customers as it is. Are they actually making money or does the business cost next to nothing for him to run and he's just happy doing it? 

I also find a lot of smaller golf shops they don't often have good stuff and their bread and butter is club work and survive on that and definitely something you'd need to do or pay someone to do. 

The resort part is good but anything needed I'm going to assume most will just grab whatever at the pro shop vs driving an hour. 

Just my thoughts on it. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

No

• Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I've owned 3 businesses.  Ranging from purchases of $600k to $4m.

Do a lot of research before you buy.  Research all the current business P&Ls. Have a business plan going out at least 5 years.  Be sure you have 10s of thousands of working capital at minimum. Look into an SBA loan. 

That's a small town with 1 golf course. What percentage of people play golf? Very small.  How many of those people will buy from you, not on line? What will your gross income be each year? How will it increase each year? What will your overhead be?  Lots of questions you have to know the answers to before you consider buying. 

The 3 businesses I purchased all included the property and buildings. No rent. But a huge mortgage. 

Edited by 596
  • Like 2

Lots of online guides starting and running a business.  Do some research. here’s one. 

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/business/advice/how-to-start-a-business-in-12-steps.html

while you are familiar with golf, and fitting , you'll need some real training to be a fitter. 

Not sure of your location, do you have a 12 month golf season?  Winter can be pretty slow if there’s no golf being played.  

And beware of startup costs, they’re typically higher than one thinks.  Do you want to risk your life savings?  
And consider this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellevate/2019/10/24/eight-common-reasons-small-businesses-fail/?sh=288587344fbb

Not trying to discourage you, but you need to go in with eyes open.  

• Like 1

As with any business venture it’s what is the cost to buy it…$1000 to buy him out?….great go for it.   $100k?   Different. 

In my outside view looking in, one of the greatest challenges is you can’t stock everything.  But that traveler wants a ventus blue shaft in regular …and wants it now.  You can’t get it to arrive fast enough, you are paying an “up charge “ in delivery fee every time you order something from your supplier.  You can’t afford to buy every shaft/grip combo and risk it never selling before the latest and greatest item is out next year.   It seems to be an inventory heavy business.

• Like 1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

22 hours ago, NavyGolf said:

I will start by saying I have very little experience owning and operating a business. I ran a pretty profitable small business out someones detached garage for a year before joining the Navy 11 years ago but I did not have to experience start up costs or taxes or anything like that. Pretty much PnL, customer service, manufacturing and shipping/receiving. Now that I’m out of the service and have established a career I’ve been thinking about this golf store in town and how it’s in a great location in a town of about 13 thousand people but the ownership has not kept up with current golf trends what so ever. 

It just so happens that the guy who owns it is thinking about getting out of it here soon due to some health issues. The town has a pretty popular golf course with a healthy membership but everybody I talk to about golf equipment ranging anywhere from finding a putter grip to doing a driver fitting they all say they have to drive an hour and a half in one of three directions or order it online because they know this store in town isn’t going to have it. 

I am pretty obsessed with the golf swing and golf equipment/fitting so I would be leaning more towards offering a custom fitting experience and that being the main focus of the business. If any one has some small business or golf store ownership experience and would like to impart some wisdom that would be greatly appreciated. 

12 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Sounds kind of like those episodes of 'save my restaurant' on TV where the host asks the owners why its failing and they just go 'oh we dont know, we've never ran a restaurant before, we just bought one and thought it would be fine'.

image.png.c391b3f7dcc56ee5a605f7dc9b4f4c7c.png

Edited by ilikegolf26

On 8/14/2023 at 11:41 PM, NavyGolf said:

I am going to ignore the logistics for now, but can you elaborate on your last paragraph that I have highlighted? Do you have fitting, sales, and repair experience? There's a big difference between guys that can talk shop and actually know how to fit.  There's so many complaints about local big box stores or shoddy fitters out there for this reason.  They can sit there and say until they are blue in the face "the Tensei White is a low launch shaft" but that in of itself doesn't mean anything.  Do you enough about iron CG, swing path, bend profile, shaft weight, grip size, and such and how it can impact someone's delivery?  Just think about it from an outsiders perspective for a second.  They are coming to you because they expect you know what you are talking about and can help fit them.  If you stumble through a fitting for 45-60min without really helping them or not showing them any improvements they are unlikely to come back to you and very likely to be pretty vocal that they paid $XXX to accomplish jack.  

You need to be pretty confident in your ability to a) fit people correctly and back that up with evidence and b) close a sale with either competitive pricing or some sort of edge that the average person doesn't have from just ordering off of a random website.

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I would pass.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

No... not enough customers.

It may be worth considering a small home-based repair business. You can advertise repair services at the local course and get some word-of-mouth customers, but it sounds more like a hobby or side-hustle than a full time business opportunity. If the local shop doesn't carry much equipment, it's likely because they can't meet the minimum volume requirements for different manufacturers. 

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8