2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Do you have any extremely quirky equipment preferences?

nosedive32

Nothing crazy I guess. I like my grips built up with as little taper as possible on them. Regripping time is always fun when I have to decide which grip I want and how many wraps this time. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Well, I like stupid driver swing weight and anything in my bag - including my bag - absolutely must be orange.

Grips? Orange

Iron Covers? Orange

Bag? Orange

Balls? If I can find ones I like, Orange!

Gloves? Zero Friction.... BECAUSE THEY SELL ORANGE!!!! (And they are pretty high quality)

I don't like replacing the driver because if I do that then I'll have to get used to a new one all over again!

For this winter, I have considered buying an Orange Scottish Cap to wear with my orange shirt, and orange accented shoes and dark blue pants. I might even buy orange tees just for the sport of it. Orange socks sound nice, too.... but even I think that might be a touch too much.

Hmm... yeah that's about it.

I am very depressed about the fact that orange carry bags are harder to find. 😞  LOL

I love this. Orange has been my favorite color since a Little League team I was on that wore orange uniforms won our championship one year … it just always stuck. I typically stick to orange as an accent color — orange Apple Watch band, orange hat sometimes. But what orange carry bags have you found? I would definitely carry an orange bag.

6 hours ago, CROUSE99 said:

I've always changed irons as often as most people change their socks.  Sadly, a few months ago I got a set that are perfect for my swing.  Now, I'm having withdrawals from not buying clubs.

Hahaha, this is me too. I’ve been hitting everything under the sun but the i230s have survived the year.

7 hours ago, j.b.newton said:

Different sized grips on woods/long irons vs short irons/wedges.

Do you go bigger on wedges? I’ve done plus two wraps on longer clubs, but gone all the way to midsize for wedges.  

3 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I can play really good golf with regular flex shafts throughout the bag, or with x-stiff shafts throughout the bag, but tend to struggle playing stiff shafts.  

OK this one sounds weird but I’m with you. I tend to get too quick in transition, so here’s my working theory: X-flex sticks with me. R-flex is a severe enough departure that the noticeably different feeling in my hands helps me slow down. Especially a heavy R-flex, like DG R300. Stiff, which is what on paper I should be playing, just lets me swing my crappy swing without doing anything to help me out. 

Edited by eric61

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Putters putters putters putters… I’m sure I’m not alone in this but always and forever searching for the ever-elusive “the one wand”. 

currently using the hydro blast spider x and really did like it at first and it may be turning more into love! This could be the one… but not really, who are we kidding

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RCGA said:

I cannot swing a club with a swingweight under D4-D5

8 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

rrrrrrright……..

No feel for the clubhead with these stock D1/D2 swingweights. Sorry you don't believe me I guess. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
Ping G410 Plus 9*  w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

I'm a hobby club building and tinkerer with minimal quality shop equipment. 

I guess a quirk of mine is that I tend to perform better with clubs that require a negative angle of attack when the head is "light feeling" with a heavy shaft (i.e. 3 wood has the +9gm weight removed from the head with a 78gm shaft). Alternatively, I perform better with clubs that require a positive angle of attack when the head is "heavy feeling" with a lighter shaft (i.e. my driver has +15gm of extra head weight and a 67gm shaft). 

Rotate the following:

Callaway AI Smoke TD Max 9* Denali Black 60gm 6.5

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

6 hours ago, eric61 said:

I love this. Orange has been my favorite color since a Little League team I was on that wore orange uniforms won our championship one year … it just always stuck. I typically stick to orange as an accent color — orange Apple Watch band, orange hat sometimes. But what orange carry bags have you found? I would definitely carry an orange bag.

I posted a link above to one such bag from Sun Mountain. It's a 2022, so it isn't widely available anymore and Sun Mountain appears to have gone away from that color. LOL

There is a carry bag I am considering compromising in this year's version that's a sort of bright red, but it's just not the same. 😄 Maybe I'll ask them what it would cost to use the Orange... LOL

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I always end up with a 56 high bounce and a 58 low bounce in the bag.  I don’t know what it is about 54 and 60 degree wedges but for some reason I can’t get comfortable carrying them. There is enough of a yardage gap with the 2 degrees to make it work. 

Edited by Lemonde
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

8 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Nothing crazy I guess. I like my grips built up with as little taper as possible on them. Regripping time is always fun when I have to decide which grip I want and how many wraps this time. 

You and Tom Watson.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

33 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I posted a link above to one such bag from Sun Mountain. It's a 2022, so it isn't widely available anymore and Sun Mountain appears to have gone away from that color. LOL

There is a carry bag I am considering compromising in this year's version that's a sort of bright red, but it's just not the same. 😄 Maybe I'll ask them what it would cost to use the Orange... LOL

Do you use orange paintfill?

I’ve got two pairs of orange / white myjoys wingtips 

orange car

orange watch 

but not everything orange as you’ve seem to fallen into

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

12 hours ago, cgasucks said:

This may not be a quirk but I want oversize Lamkin Crosslines on my woods, irons, and wedges and an old school Pingman pistol grip on my putter.

I do know that this is a quirk as I prefer my irons to be made in stainless steel or nickel since I don't like seeing rust forming around the sweet spot over time that you see in forged carbon steel irons.

Love this - my need is a Lamkin midsize with the logo down. It inflicts physical pain when this isnt done right! 

Also, my wedges must be the same brand. I dont know, its a thing... I once had 3 Cleveland 588s and two were raw and one was chrome... it was a struggle! Woods are ok as I cover them up with uniform leather headcovers haha 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

33 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

orange car

orange watch 

I will say I do break it up with blue and other colors... 😁

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I like short fairway woods with heavy heads. 
Which makes me think I should just play hybrids. But then I buy hybrids and I don’t like them. 
Everything else in the bag is pretty normal off the shelf stiff flex. 
I bought some Ping G425 woods figuring they are popular and good I can play them standard and be a normal person. But I’m already finding myself choking up, flattening lies, and adding weight. 

I also like golf gloves that are a bit small and tight and golf grips that are large. 

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

3, 4, 5 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

13 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

I play same manufacturer throughout set.

Come to think of it yes you do . I have seen many of your WITB posts over the years

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

orange car

orange watch 

That Ping wedge you gave me has an orange grip. I messed around with it some last week for kicks and giggles

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eric61 said:

OK this one sounds weird but I’m with you. I tend to get too quick in transition, so here’s my working theory: X-flex sticks with me. R-flex is a severe enough departure that the noticeably different feeling in my hands helps me slow down. Especially a heavy R-flex, like DG R300. Stiff, which is what on paper I should be playing, just lets me swing my crappy swing without doing anything to help me out. 

My thoughts are similar. I’m a former minor league baseball player that can still generate a little bit of speed so I tend to fit into X.  That said, I’m also nearing 50yo with a 60 hour per week desk “habit,” so there are times when X beats me up and tired me out. If I move to stiff, my sense is that I overpower it with my regular swing, but it is still too much work for my “tired” swing. Moving to regular allows me to play shots with my tired swing. Interestingly, I rarely feel like I overpower regular flex. I’m guessing it is a matter of improved rhythm.

i am playing really good golf right now with 6.5 in the driver and KBS Tour 130x in the irons and wedges. If I had to choose a set to take into competition, though, it would be DGR300 in the irons and a heavy regular flex graphite in the driver. 

• Like 4

Shaft labels/graphics that aren’t aligned down the back of the shaft. I wish the golf world would all just use the Callaway/Titleist adapter. But as much as I hate seeing the shaft graphics at address I prefer my grips logo up….

Edited by Nelson.br.1515

PING G425 MAX DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

TAYLORMADE 300 MINI w/ACCRA TZX 265

PING G425 MAX 5W, 7W, 9W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 7-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA I-STEEL 105

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM

Just now, Buzzkill said:

Hasn’t always been that way, last several sets though.

I think my most favorite set up you played was the "Mac Cobra" irons

• Like 1

Wedges MUST look good to my eye or they will not make it in the bag, this includes the PW of my iron set. In fact, it is the PW that really determines if I am going to put a set of irons in play. They need to be small, compact, and tapper fairly quicly to the hosel. If the heel of the wedge is tall, it's a no go. Love the look of my Bridgestone J15df PW and the mizzy T22 wedges. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gvogel said:

You and Tom Watson.

One of these things is not like the other, one of them is good at golf. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

13 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

Really despise the color red. I don’t have a logical reason as to why and have disliked the color as far back as I can remember. I will not use a club if the red on it cannot be painted over or covered with tape. Will not wear red either. Not sure if this falls under quirky or completely insane but here we are..😔

Ever in a gang?  JK but it brought me back to my days living in Flint, MI.

Strangely, I'm not a fan of red either.  Even worse is purple. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

Ever in a gang?  JK but it brought me back to my days living in Flint, MI.

Strangely, I'm not a fan of red either.  Even worse is purple. 

He must be a crip. 

• Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I can't play well with any lob wedge other than a PING Eye 2 LW. There is just something about that design that works for me. My guess is I have played it for so long I am just more comfortable with it than any other lob wedge. It is so easy to open up and hit the high "Phil" flop shot and out of greenside bunkers it is has no equal.

I have tried all the modern high toe lob wedges out now that try to capture that same magic but they just don't have the same special sauce that the original design has. I currently have a square groove BeCu, a square groove SS and an XG that all get played. I am always on the look out for a new condition GORGE to add to the collection.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I can play really good golf with regular flex shafts throughout the bag, or with x-stiff shafts throughout the bag, but tend to struggle playing stiff shafts.  

Yup.  Can attest. Stuff won’t handle full bore.   And throttling down to regular us a very good feeling of control.  Like the easy button.  Every shot is a soft wedge. 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, BCULAW said:

My thoughts are similar. I’m a former minor league baseball player that can still generate a little bit of speed so I tend to fit into X.  That said, I’m also nearing 50yo with a 60 hour per week desk “habit,” so there are times when X beats me up and tired me out. If I move to stiff, my sense is that I overpower it with my regular swing, but it is still too much work for my “tired” swing. Moving to regular allows me to play shots with my tired swing. Interestingly, I rarely feel like I overpower regular flex. I’m guessing it is a matter of improved rhythm.

i am playing really good golf right now with 6.5 in the driver and KBS Tour 130x in the irons and wedges. If I had to choose a set to take into competition, though, it would be DGR300 in the irons and a heavy regular flex graphite in the driver. 

Yep. Takes away the “ Heeman “ option doesn’t it ?     I played an R flex driver all of 2017. Didn’t go anywhere. But I rarely missed with it. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock