2024 Bag Is Set Challenge (BISC) Thread!!!

Dan Drake

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

Who do I appeal to? lol. 

As clearly stated in Decision “c.” Of the Rules, @Mych is the official tiebreaker for the Committee.  

But, seeing that the Committee’s vote on this request was 1-0, the Committee does not feel a tiebreaker is, by definition, necessary.  

Nobody ever said this was going to be easy!

• Haha 3

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

18 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

As clearly stated in Decision “c.” Of the Rules, @Mych is the official tiebreaker for the Committee.  

But, seeing that the Committee’s vote on this request was 1-0, the Committee does not feel a tiebreaker is, by definition, necessary.  

Nobody ever said this was going to be easy!

Hahahahha.. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Who do I appeal to? lol. 

Judge Smails

• Haha 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

30 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Judge Smails

Ugh… hate that guy..

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

15 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Do people really stick to the rules, so when people say they haven't bought anything new because they have 3-4 difference sets of clubs with umpteen driver and putters and haven't bought anything new for the whole year can they say they made it. Is there somewhere in the rules that would disqualify them. I would like to see who has bought the most drivers or set of irons/ putters in one year, now that would be a challenge to. I'm considered out as I'm probably going to buy the Cobra DarkSpeed driver as soon as they are released but on certain days I'm pulling out the Aerojet just because I like it that much. 

I see it as a fun but mostly impossible challenge for the majority on this site.  Most will not enter because they know they will hit that second, third, or fifth driver by March.

Have tried the challenge the last 3-4 years.  Closest was this year, and I switched out three shafts.  Made it all the way to May.  Now I have some pent up tinkering, and I know next year will be a failure.  Already building another iron set.

I will post my bag for posterity, and will chime in when I get a new putter or other change.

• Thanks 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

This year is my best chance yet.

I have two driver heads / shafts that I typically rotate through depending on how I'm feeling but everything else is rock solid right now. I still have a month to decide.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Thanks to Dan for my mention in despatches. As a postscript to my woeful performance in the 2023 BISC, none of the 50 + clubs used in January currently occupy a place in Bag 1.

2024 is going to be different. I have a cunning plan and once I work out what it is, I will share it. 

Right now I am using the month’s notice to hoard clubs before making my final choice of the 14 clubs that will play most of the first game of 2024. 

Oh and the biggest irony ? Best performance of 2023 was a 5 club challenge, how I laughed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm testing like a dozen things at the moment.  This is going to be a bad winter for my club ho'ing. 

Edited by MattC555
  • Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

50 minutes ago, tocino said:

does losing a club fall under the "broken club" rule? i.e. i forgot my gap wedge at the range last month and unfortunately, no one turned it in

Yes, but just as with the broken club rule, you can't just go "losing" clubs whenever and where ever you want (lost my putter in the garage again, oh fiddlesticks!) so that you can swap clubs in and out at your whim.  

• Like 3

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

16 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Do people really stick to the rules, so when people say they haven't bought anything new because they have 3-4 difference sets of clubs with umpteen driver and putters and haven't bought anything new for the whole year can they say they made it. Is there somewhere in the rules that would disqualify them. I would like to see who has bought the most drivers or set of irons/ putters in one year, now that would be a challenge to. I'm considered out as I'm probably going to buy the Cobra DarkSpeed driver as soon as they are released but on certain days I'm pulling out the Aerojet just because I like it that much. 

Nobody ever said you couldn't buy any new clubs.  And after the bag is "set," you can test& buy all the new clubs you want throughout the year.  

You just can't put them into the bag and play a round with them on course (real or sim).  

And yes, most of us stick to the "rules" and are open and honest about how & when we fail the challenge.  That's the point.  I mean, I lasted all of 14 days or so last year.  And I'll fail this year in early/mid June when I go on my buddy golf trip where I play lefthanded.  But I'm going to try like heck to get to that date with the same bag that I "set" in January!

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

Lumber 

Driver - Cobra Aerojet

5W - Ping G430 Max (lofted up to 16.5* with -1/2" length)

3 hybrid - Ping G410

4 hybrid - Ping G410

5 hybrid - Ping G

Irons

Ping G25 6-AW (1.5* deg flat)

Wedges 

Ping Glide 4.0 54*

Cleveland Zip Core 58* Full Bounce

Putter 

Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

(Others tempting options.  Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless and Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 7S)

Causes for concern

After a poor putting round, I am quick to go back to one of the backup putters (see above).  I have until January 1st to figure out which one will be in the bag to start out in the bag.  The biggest issue will be that I really want to get a new set of irons in 2024.
Prediction 

I suspect I will make it until March or April.  It will take some intestinal fortitude to not quickly change putters, but I suspect the urge to get new irons will be my ultimate downfall.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

A lot of clubs are brand new because I got fit in October this year, but I essentially played the same bag for 2 years. The only change for 2022/2023 was swapping the Newport 2 for a plumbers neck fang mallet. Got fitted, most of the clubs have changed. 2024 is a great year to do the BISC as it was my first "real" fit. I've always resorted to years of tinkering, learned a lot but too much trial/error.

Driver - Cobra LTDX Ls 10.5

3W - Ping G430 Max 15

3H - Cobra King Tec 19

4-PW - T150

50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D (in the mail)

White Hot OG #7CH

Edited by rsballer10

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

8 minutes ago, Mych said:

🙂

I concur with the committee's position and vote "present" in this instance.

This is the Boston Marathon... we don't pick the dates, and we don't get to set the record in our new shoes if our new shoes are "on order". When it's game time, we "swing what we bring" and ride that train until the wheels fall off, however short of a ride that may be. 

The thread is always open, if anyone wants to set a secondary goal for themselves starting in March when the new gear arrives, nobody will prevent them from doing that. I propose calling that the "Tiger Slam" provision, 1 year from any arbitrary day you may set. It doesn't qualify for the BISC, but it's a worthy accomplishment for those who choose to make it their mission.

I also vote "present" on the above amendment to the prior request regarding the previous motion to ratify the BISC thread (Note: Thread only, not actual BISC) standards.  

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

23 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Yes, but just as with the broken club rule, you can't just go "losing" clubs whenever and where ever you want (lost my putter in the garage again, oh fiddlesticks!) so that you can swap clubs in and out at your whim.  

I think i lasted 8 weeks when i participated a couple years ago. I need a replacement gap wedge and i should be getting a new driver for xmas but i feel pretty good about my bag not changing. I'll update before my first 2024 round

• Like 1

I've failed the last three years in a row, & I'm really setting myself up for temptation in '24... recently sold all "modern" clubs and picked up my "current" bag:

Dr - 905T w/ OG grafalloy blue

3W - r7 TP

5W - TM v-steel

3H - Nickent 3dx 20*

Irons - rac LT 4-PW

Cleveland 588 RTG 53* and Vokey 200 series 58*

PLD DS72

I actually like the irons a lot lol but the woods are definitely leaving something on the table--retro rounds have been fun, though!

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, Dan Drake said:

Uncle Cardy is spot on here, no driver flipping, flopping, or wiggling unfortunately!

Quick question.

If I start with 10 clubs, can I add 1 or 2 throughout the summer?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

2 hours ago, gvogel said:

Quick question.

If I start with 10 clubs, can I add 1 or 2 throughout the summer?

Nice try, but I'm sorry that violates the "is set" portion of the challenge.  Minimalist players are certainly allowed to join the Challenge, but they are beholden to the rules same as everyone: What you start the year with is what you've got, whether it be 14 sticks or fewer.  

I applaud you for the idea though because I now have a visual of a WRXer on the 2nd tee box in late January explaining to his playing partners that the reason he doesn't have any irons in his bag that round is because they don't arrive until mid-February and he's competing in some asinine online "Bag something something Challenge!"  😂😂😂

Edited by Dan Drake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

On 11/27/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

FW or hybrid?  You've room for one more club by my count.  The G430 FWs are supposed to be very good.

This is 14 clubs, no?  Driver, 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,P,50,54,58,64,Putter

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max w/HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon Zx Utility 3 Iron w/TourAD Di 95x

Callaway Apex MB 18 7-P w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Callaway Apex TCB 6 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Sub 70 685 CB 4 & 5 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Vokey SM9 50,54,58 w/S400TI

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Full Face 65 w/S400TI

LAB Golf Link.1

GFore Daytona Golf Bag 

33 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Whoops!  You're absolutely right.  Apologies.

I guess I need the 14 way divider on my bag, LOL.  

BTW where do you play in Houston typically?

Ping G430 Max w/HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon Zx Utility 3 Iron w/TourAD Di 95x

Callaway Apex MB 18 7-P w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Callaway Apex TCB 6 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Sub 70 685 CB 4 & 5 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Vokey SM9 50,54,58 w/S400TI

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Full Face 65 w/S400TI

LAB Golf Link.1

GFore Daytona Golf Bag 

1 hour ago, elbellet said:

BTW where do you play in Houston typically?

When I do, and it's very rarely unfortunately, Cypresswood, home of the mango ice towels.  Been meaning to get out to Windrose or Gleannloch (however they spell it.)  The two courses at the Woodlands C.C., the ones resort guests can play, are great.

Gus is fun.  Too short, really for a lot of the modern game---there's about three drivable Par 4s, maybe 4 if you count #1----but you see where they've put some work in with the renovation.  Greens rolled true, last time I was out there which was a while ago.  And not every course needs to be a beast to be enjoyable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NZ315 said:

My bag has been so unsettled the past 4years. It will be hard to last long in this challenge.
Does club fitting count as a golf activity? No way I am getting outside for sometime here. There are a few things I know I want to change. 

I know I'm not on the committee, but I would think club fitting would fall under "golf activity" and therefore be the start of the challenge. Like you, I'm also not getting onto a course anytime soon. I just got a new 5 wood delivered and I have a 54° wedge with a graphite shaft to test out, I'm hoping to get that somewhat sorted by the first of the year so that I can set my bag early and let my bills take care of any desires for new clubs until June or July lol.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

7 hours ago, Roejye said:

I know I'm not on the committee, but I would think club fitting would fall under "golf activity" and therefore be the start of the challenge. Like you, I'm also not getting onto a course anytime soon. I just got a new 5 wood delivered and I have a 54° wedge with a graphite shaft to test out, I'm hoping to get that somewhat sorted by the first of the year so that I can set my bag early and let my bills take care of any desires for new clubs until June or July lol.

I am out then! 

21 hours ago, NZ315 said:

My bag has been so unsettled the past 4years. It will be hard to last long in this challenge.
Does club fitting count as a golf activity? No way I am getting outside for sometime here. There are a few things I know I want to change. 

@Roejye is correct here, a fitting does count as the first golf-like activity.  Unfortunately, many years ago when this started, I quickly was made aware of how different the different starting times of our golf seasons are.  As such, I had to come up with some way to make the BISC more equitable to the folks in the north and the south.  My solution certainly isn't perfect, but it is the rules that this great quest has been conducted under for a decade now, so I feel like it should stand until a more perfect solution presents itself.  

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

My bag for next year is in my sig.  With that being said, irons, wedges and putter are safe.  However, driver, 3 metal and hybrid could change.  Shafts are not safe however, hehe. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2