Tiger and Nike golf to separate after PNC? (*** MERGED ***)

12 hours ago, PeterHenric said:

It was weird to me that Nike couldn't/wouldn't make a knockoff FJ shoe for Tiger. IMO, it was kind of telling. He's one of, if not their biggest name so for him to just not use their shoe was surprising.

Exactly this.  I was thinking the same thing.  Like, we're going on almost 2 years since Tiger switched to FJ and Nike has done nothing. Where there's smoke there's fire. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9* HZRDUS Smoke Red 65S

Taylormade Sim 2 Titanium 3 wood Tensei Blue 75S

Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.0 70g

Ping i230 Irons 4-UW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 56/08 M

Titleist Vokey SM9 60/04 T

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34" 340g

Beer.

I agree that it's been a weird path Nike has taken.  I never thought the specific TW branding was a good idea.  It's way too easy to look like a giant poser. I mean, you just don't roll up in a red shirt and black pants.  Right? Nobody does that.  Same with any TW stuff to some extent. 

They should have just put him in quality, attractive gear and left it at that. 

It's weird to me that the Jordan line is still a thing though too.  It's poser city too, I've never bought one Jordan item while I have bought untold Nike garments in general. Golf and other. 

2 hours ago, TurboFade said:

Exactly this.  I was thinking the same thing.  Like, we're going on almost 2 years since Tiger switched to FJ and Nike has done nothing. Where there's smoke there's fire. 

I remember hearing or reading this way back. And I can’t speak to the validity of it. So take it for what it worth. 

Years ago when Bill Walton played for UCLA, UCLA had a shoe contract with one of the big makers. Apparently Walton couldn’t wear their shoes, didn’t fit his feet right or something. So they took the shoes he could wear and sewed the marking (Addidas stripes, Converse Star and chevron, etc) on the shoe he could wear. Let him have a shoe that fit, but still wore the company brand. 

If it’s true, it was probably fairly simple to pull off at that time.  No social media and no up close, high definition cameras. Don’t know if Nike could have put a swoosh on a FJ shoe or not. Probably be a lawsuit now. 

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I remember hearing or reading this way back. And I can’t speak to the validity of it. So take it for what it worth. 

Years ago when Bill Walton played for UCLA, UCLA had a shoe contract with one of the big makers. Apparently Walton couldn’t wear their shoes, didn’t fit his feet right or something. So they took the shoes he could wear and sewed the marking (Addidas stripes, Converse Star and chevron, etc) on the shoe he could wear. Let him have a shoe that fit, but still wore the company brand. 

If it’s true, it was probably fairly simple to pull off at that time.  No social media and no up close, high definition cameras. Don’t know if Nike could have put a swoosh on a FJ shoe or not. Probably be a lawsuit now. 

That thought takes me back to the classic rumor of Tiger's Nike irons actually being Muira's with swoosh's on them haha

1 hour ago, bcjim said:

I agree that it's been a weird path Nike has taken.  I never thought the specific TW branding was a good idea.  It's way too easy to look like a giant poser. I mean, you just don't roll up in a red shirt and black pants.  Right? Nobody does that.  Same with any TW stuff to some extent. 

They should have just put him in quality, attractive gear and left it at that. 

It's weird to me that the Jordan line is still a thing though too.  It's poser city too, I've never bought one Jordan item while I have bought untold Nike garments in general. Golf and other. 

The Jordan brand is a phenomenon.  It did over $5b in revenue last year. To put that in perspective, the entire global golf shoe and apparel market was $3b last year.  Nike's market share in golf shoes and apparel is a little under 5%.  Tiger is an icon but it's probably difficult for Nike to justify the kind of money I assume he commands relative to the revenue that Nike generates from that market.

• Like 1

If Tiger doesn't have a Nike shirt on i'm not supporting him anymore 😉 

• Haha 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

28 minutes ago, RobS said:

The Jordan brand is a phenomenon.  It did over $5b in revenue last year. To put that in perspective, the entire global golf shoe and apparel market was $3b last year.  Nike's market share in golf shoes and apparel is a little under 5%.  Tiger is an icon but it's probably difficult for Nike to justify the kind of money I assume he commands relative to the revenue that Nike generates from that market.

I've also heard that Nike's push for Jordan Golf and lack of effort on the TW line pissed off Tiger.

Nike is losing footwear market share fast to smaller running brands like Hoka and On Running. It seems like folding Nike Golf and TW all together would align with a restructure to be more innovative/profitable in other departments.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

46 minutes ago, BCC1898 said:

Doesn't matter to me what TW wears, but Greyson seems like an odd fit.

I think that is exactly why it may be a good fit? Just putting on my tin foil hat. Tigers best friend JT is with Greyson, Charlie wears Greyson quite a lot it seems, and being a part of Greyson would be a perfect opportunity to get equity in brand increasing in popularity. I have also heard that Tiger did not like how Jordan golf brand was growing more popular than his TW brand so why not be "Top Dog" again? None the less, it all is odd but I would personally love the move.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Nike golf stuff has always been so "meh" to me. It's either downright ugly or boring. The only Nike golfer that ever looks decent to me is Rory, and i feel like the stuff he wears isn't even available to us. Boring is fine in a Peter Millar kind of classic way, but Nike just misses the mark for whatever reason.

I do wonder how many TW shoes they even still sell too. I never see them. I don't mind them, but at the price point they sell them, at I'd rather go for some FJ classics or a True or something. 

All of this dumb rambling to say, wonder if NIke is just not renewing his contract and potentially leaving golf for good - maybe with the exception of footwear? I think the Jordan stuff does well

Edited by dfeldss
  • Like 2

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

2 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Auburn athletics did this the first year or so they signed with Under Armour.  They used New Balance or And1 depending on the sport and either taped over or sticker some UA logos... its possible, but like you said - with todays HD, it would be tough to look good enough to cause even more bad press.

11 minutes ago, Cellis said:

I think that is exactly why it may be a good fit? Just putting on my tin foil hat. Tigers best friend JT is with Greyson, Charlie wears Greyson quite a lot it seems, and being a part of Greyson would be a perfect opportunity to get equity in brand increasing in popularity. I have also heard that Tiger did not like how Jordan golf brand was growing more popular than his TW brand so why not be "Top Dog" again? None the less, it all is odd but I would personally love the move.

Nice pun! with the top dog.     Can you put a tiger and a wolf in the same cage?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

Nice pun! with the top dog.     Can you put a tiger and a wolf in the same cage?

You should probably delete that before Greyson puts that in their intro campaign 🤣

• Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

2 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Tiger’s pants aren’t really Nike right? I think there is some precedent there even though it’s harder to do with shoes.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

19 minutes ago, dfeldss said:

Nike golf stuff has always been so "meh" to me. It's either downright ugly or boring. The only Nike golfer that ever looks decent to me is Rory, and i feel like the stuff he wears isn't even available to us. Boring is fine in a Peter Millar kind of classic way, but Nike just misses the mark for whatever reason.

I do wonder how many TW shoes they even still sell too. I never see them. I don't mind them, but at the price point they sell them, at I'd rather go for some FJ classics or a True or something. 

All of this dumb rambling to say, wonder if NIke is just not renewing his contract and potentially leaving golf for good?

Nike isn't going to exit the golf shoe and apparel business but similar to their other sports and the rest of the industry, they are moving away from the individual mega contracts, with a few exceptions.  More 'athletes' but at modest deals and an overall lower cost.   The golf apparel industry projects pretty decent market growth over the next few years and it's predicted to be driven by the female market.  I'd expect to see more Nike on the bigger name LPGA players and more Nike on the PGA TOUR players that won't command significant contracts.  In general, Nike is cutting cost in every corner of their business.

• Like 1

I’ll agree with most here that Nike Golf apparel is uninspired and the fit and fabrics are not good. And I say that as a bit of a Nike stan, though not to the extent I was in my younger years.

Always felt like the TW branding also has that risk of looking like a poser like someone mentioned. Not in shoes necessarily but clothing. Same with Jordan Golf for me.

What I disagree with is that there is anyone that could replace TW for Nike. Not Rory, not Ludvig, not anyone. The difference in brand recognition is exponential. I also don’t think Nelly’s contract is big enough to stay in golf for just that. It’s a sunk cost, though I’m skeptical of them leaving completely.

I could see them making Nike Golf their ”more affordable” line with Jordan Golf as the premium branded option. But saying that, it just doesn’t sound right with Jordan not being a golf first brand.

Greyson signing Tiger feels like a chihuahua flirting with a mastiff. I doubt they even have the distribution to make that deal potentially make sense. TM clothing line or Footjoy makes more sense to me.

What I’d like to see is the same fits J. Lindeberg gives to Hovland on Tiger. That would turn some heads.

Edited by Peak

• 1t2golf changed the title to Tiger and Nike golf to separate after PNC? (*** MERGED ***)