2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping i530 Leaked Photo

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

The i525 had polymer behind the face as well, but are very loud, clicky, and harsh feel. No doubt they perform great. I had a set of i525 but just couldn’t get over the sound and feel.

The reviews thus are seem limited, but the sound and feel appears to remain the elephant in the room.

Obviously I haven't hit them, but I get the impression that Ping has determined that the can't improve the sound/feel without running afoul of pxg/tm patents but they have found a way to improve the performance and look so they are going to target those for whom those that aren't as sensitive to the sound or don't mind if the club performs.

50 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

Interesting they are saying these will fit up to a 14 HC when TM says the P790 is playable for a 20. Maybe these aren’t a direct competitor to the P790. 

I agree with @pullfade.   It's as much a statement in the context of a portfolio as a true HC indicator.   Plenty of ways to arrive at a given cap number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlkNGld said:

The reviews thus are seem limited, but the sound and feel appears to remain the elephant in the room.

Obviously I haven't hit them, but I get the impression that Ping has determined that the can't improve the sound/feel without running afoul of pxg/tm patents but they have found a way to improve the performance and look so they are going to target those for whom those that aren't as sensitive to the sound or don't mind if the club performs.

Yeah, they have said that if they filled them with foam it would reduce performance. It’s a shame because the clubs flat out perform and I wish I could get over it, but I can’t. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, BlkNGld said:

Don't know why that would be the case, other OEM like Cobra and even Maltby would run afoul with the foam. But I don't think it's JUST the foam (at least with the Costco v TM suit) since PXG v TM has been around since Day 1 of the P790 (not sure where thats gone)

Jus sayin'

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I've been using Ping clubs for a long time, and it's an interesting thing: with the G series irons, the lack of feel (especially compared to the Hogan 1999-2001 Apex mbs I'd been using before, in the years I could actually play a bit) never bothered me very much -- it seemed to come with the territory (and the looks), and I never expected anything different. But as I've demoed in recent years some of their better player/player distance irons, that lack of feel started bothering much more -- as if my mind was saying "You can't *look* like this and yet *feel* like that!" My favorite pings of all time were the s58s (which like I've read so many times here, 'I regret selling"). Besides suiting my swing very well, I think it was because what they looked like and how they performed and what they felt like all seemed to 'fit together' in a way I expected and appreciated.  

• Like 1

Will be turning 70 in a couple of months but still play to a 7 index. Steadily loosing distance each year and seems like shot consistently is on its way out as well. Been playing OG P790’s since mid 2018 and decided it may be time to look for something new. Tested the T100, T200, new P790, Callaway ai Smoke and the i530’s. The 530’s feel and sounds almost exactly the same as my old 790’s but generated 5-6 mph ball more speed and were VERY consistent. Sure, the 5-6 mph is likely due the the lower loft but have to say that the i530’s were hard to hit off line and handled low strikes better than my old clubs. 30+ shots within 10-15 feet of center line which is what I’m really looking for. Could care less what the number is on the bottom of the club as long as I can hit it straight with consistent distance.

Didn't really gain anything from all of the other clubs I tried except for the Callaway ai Smoke, but it launched way too high and had very low spin numbers in comparison. Hit it very straight as well but doubt they would hold a green well. Am I going to run out and order a set, no, as I’m not convinced that they are really that much better than what I already have and just feel like there’s something else out there that could be my unicorn. Just wanted to post this to give some additional input.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SteveL1 said:

Will be turning 70 in a couple of months but still play to a 7 index. Steadily loosing distance each year and seems like shot consistently is on its way out as well. Been playing OG P790’s since mid 2018 and decided it may be time to look for something new. Tested the T100, T200, new P790, Callaway ai Smoke and the i530’s. The 530’s feel and sounds almost exactly the same as my old 790’s but generated 5-6 mph ball more speed and were VERY consistent. Sure, the 5-6 mph is likely due the the lower loft but have to say that the i530’s were hard to hit off line and handled low strikes better than my old clubs. 30+ shots within 10-15 feet of center line which is what I’m really looking for. Could care less what the number is on the bottom of the club as long as I can hit it straight with consistent distance.

Didn't really gain anything from all of the other clubs I tried except for the Callaway ai Smoke, but it launched way too high and had very low spin numbers in comparison. Hit it very straight as well but doubt they would hold a green well. Am I going to run out and order a set, no, as I’m not convinced that they are really that much better than what I already have and just feel like there’s something else out there that could be my unicorn. Just wanted to post this to give some additional input.

Funny you mention they feel just like the 1st gen 790. I thought the same thing for me it was less than ideal but for you seems like it’s a big positive. Just show how asking someone how something feels or looks is kind of an execercise in futility.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

9 hours ago, SteveL1 said:

You didn’t notice an increase in performance with the new P790 compared to your OG set? 

I think the 2021 P790 and on feel very good.  Not forged good, of course.  But not like they are made out to feel.   

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

3 hours ago, SteveL1 said:

Actually no. Felt like hitting a rock in comparison and no gains at all. Could have been lack of shaft options at our club, but was not impressed.

Interesting and glad to hear you say that. I hit the new P790 this week when our rep was out for a demo day. Hit them with everything between the Recoil Dart to PX LZ 6.0 and they felt harsher than i recall previous generations feeling.  

We will be getting the I530 and G730 heads and shafts into our carts next week.  Anxious to give them both a try. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

21 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Interesting and glad to hear you say that. I hit the new P790 this week when our rep was out for a demo day. Hit them with everything between the Recoil Dart to PX LZ 6.0 and they felt harsher than i recall previous generations feeling.  

We will be getting the I530 and G730 heads and shafts into our carts next week.  Anxious to give them both a try. 

Do you have the G430 irons as well? Thought I saw you post a picture that had them in the background, maybe in the S159 thread? Would be curious to hear how these two new irons compare to the G430s in terms of feel and spin.

I love my i230s so much. But with a newborn at home and basically no time to practice, the idea of something even easier to hit is appealing! (Plus I’m a GolfWRXer and just love new stuff…)

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

3 hours ago, eric61 said:

Do you have the G430 irons as well? Thought I saw you post a picture that had them in the background, maybe in the S159 thread? Would be curious to hear how these two new irons compare to the G430s in terms of feel and spin.

I love my i230s so much. But with a newborn at home and basically no time to practice, the idea of something even easier to hit is appealing! (Plus I’m a GolfWRXer and just love new stuff…)

Yep. Good eye. I have had the G430 since release last yesr.   They feel like a G iron.  Maybe slightly better then the 425 or 410.   

i should ger an idea in the next week or so.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I had a really good session today with my PXG Gen6, but I am tempted by these. Less offset in the longer irons appeals to me. 

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

My thoughts on the i530 after hitting the demo 7 iron this weekend:

1. I almost dismissed them outright because of the lofts.  It's not so much the loft jacking (while annoying because there was no reason for Ping to do this) it's the 42 wedge going to a 47 wedge.  I like 45 / 50 there and I don't know yet if all my gaps will be covered.  I can easily get them bent to whatever loft I want but going weak in the wedges will increase an already high bounce. 
  2. But whatever I wanted to hit them and I'm glad I did.  The demo 7 has an explosive feeling that I enjoyed.  I blind tested against Apex Pro, T200, T150 and Blueprint T.  Apex and T200 felt dead by comparison.  I knew I was hitting T150 once I made contact and the feeling was ok.  Last Titleist iron I played was a 712 CB and the CB felt better IMO.  I didn't know I was hitting a Blueprint T until I was 6 swings in but now I want them.  I thought I was hitting an Apex pro again and remarked that the club felt a lot better with a different shaft vs whatever I was hitting in the Apex pro previously.  
  3. I hit indoors with plenty of foot traffic around.  All the irons looked very similar at address but this was your dark setup with brighter lights on the hitting area so not a great comparison vs outdoors.  I would equate what I experienced to hitting balls with headphones on.  I'd have to get the i530 outside to really make a determination.
  4. Distance was 200 all day with the 7 but I'm launching way too low at the moment.  I had wrist surgery in November and haven't played in 10 months.  Just 2 recent range sessions and I'm learning how to swing pain free.  This was never intended to be a fitting, rather generating a new baseline for myself and getting familiar with new offerings.

With the exception of the Blueprint, every other iron I hit made me want to hit the i530 again because that feeling is something I have never gotten in an iron before.  Way too early to say if it's good or bad but it's at least encouraging.  I loved and played the best golf of my life with i500.  I just despised the sound and feel.  I ordered i525 blindly and received them before they were even available in hitting carts.  And I hated that set.  Easily the fastest I've ever dumped a set of irons and probably my biggest money loser as well.  So when I saw the specs for the i530 I was severely disappointed again.  Now that I hit them I can't wait until I can start launching my irons with proper height again so I can hit the i530 again.  Next time outdoors.  I still might order the Blueprint though 🙂

• Like 3

Maybe there's a reason they left a screw cap on the iron?

Maybe put some Gillette Foamy in there?

Tv Show Spray GIF by Laff

• Haha 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

13 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Maybe there's a reason they left a screw cap on the iron?

Maybe put some Gillette Foamy in there?

Tv Show Spray GIF by Laff

You just reminded me about stuffing cotton balls In the G Driver

• Like 1

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO