2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Is the PGA Tour at a loss or at a crossroad?

naval2006

21 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’d say the tour is in the best place it’s been since 2017 or so.  Early retirement has brought up a whole new crop of stars.  

You’re absolutely right. It seems the problem is that the sponsors want the Tigers (obviously), the Rickie Fowlers, the Dustin Johnsons, the Brooks Keopkas, the Jordan Spieths, the JTs, et cetera. The sponsors don’t want to young up and comers that will be superstars soon. It feels like the Tour will have problems with sponsors because of this. 

And the Tour does a terrible job of promoting young talent or educating the sponsors on why they should want the new crop of stars. I guess it takes actual work to do that and that’s just too difficult. It feels like this great young talent that you mentioned is just going to be wasted. What a shame. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

You’re absolutely right. It seems the problem is that the sponsors want the Tigers (obviously), the Rickie Fowlers, the Dustin Johnsons, the Brooks Keopkas, the Jordan Spieths, the JTs, et cetera. The sponsors don’t want to young up and comers that will be superstars soon. It feels like the Tour will have problems with sponsors because of this. 

And the Tour does a terrible job of promoting young talent or educating the sponsors on why they should want the new crop of stars. I guess it takes actual work to do that and that’s just too difficult. It feels like this great young talent that you mentioned is just going to be wasted. What a shame. 

From what I have read, last year, this year, and for the foreseeable future there are TONS of great young players coming in.  I hope this is true, because some of the current best on the PGA Tour seem to be quite comfortable and have lost their hunger. We need the young pups to drive them

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

The PGA viewership has been going down every year, but many people on here want to ignore this as if it isn't happening.  Are there exceptions?  ABSOLUTELY!  The Majors, a handful of bigger events, etc but all in all, the model isn't gaining new viewers and is losing viewers. There are simply too many tournaments for the best 25 or so players in the world to play them all and now that several of the biggest draws are gone, it will only get worse.  Is the answer LIV?  Maybe, maybe not, but I think LIV management understands what the PGA Tour Management is missing.  Meaning that something has to change to make golf more exciting and to bring in more world wide viewers.  I do not know what the answer is personally but I am glad someone is trying to do something about it because golf was my first love and nothing has changed all these years later.

BTW We aren't aloud here to state too many facts about LIV or the PGA Tour or we get attacked by the woke PGA only mob, and/or get our posts censored.  I hope the merger happens so we can find our way back to everyone playing in the 10 or so events I love watching, but that is just me.  In the end, I think Golf will benefit from this transition and so will the fans, in the meantime we just have to ignore the cry babies

I would argue that the catalyst to this lull we are in now is, in fact, liv golf. They've taken the villains out of the tour and made it just a little more dull to watch, even though the TV product is better than ever, the schedule and courses are better than ever, the top (ranked) players play against each other more often, and the players are playing better on tougher setups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

The PGA viewership has been going down every year, but many people on here want to ignore this as if it isn't happening. 

What are the steaming numbers?

Using ratings isn’t a great measurement and it’s something that’s always been questionable for any tv show because it doesn’t account for number of viewers per tv as one example.

Cord cutting has been going on for awhile and a lot of people watch via streaming service while out and about or at home

• Like 1

Wasted the last half hour of my life trying to find Total Audience Delivered numbers for the pga this season vs 22 & 23.  No luck.

Tournament attendance numbers YoY are tough to find too.  Plus, the west coast weather didn’t help this year either.

Cant imagine thinking the PGA being in a great spot right now or thinking there’s some mythical crop of new stars on the rise. 

No matter how you look at it, every tournament is a split-field.  That alone is the biggest turn-off.  Add in the exorbitant number of commercials, on air promos/reminders, select player coverage (regardless of present performance), and added difficulty even finding coverage.  Doesn’t sound like a winning recipe.  

All that being said, I think the Masters will have record viewership especially if it comes down to a LIV/PGA final group(s).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

The PGA just needs to replicate the Waste Management model for all elevated events... interest and financial problems solved. Professional golf has entered a new era, give the people what they want.  

18aa6157e47b50b0fbb756ff5b5ff5eb.gif

I do think the PGA (as in Jay) completely miscalculated and screwed up big time in how they dealt with LIV.  Until this fracture within tour golf gets repaired and the field once again back together, things will not get better.  I also feel this two-tier elevated event format creates animosity between the "big names" and the mid/lower pack players.  

My interest level in main tour golf has waned a lot over the past few years.  I watch way more LPGA and Champions Tour, and LIV events.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ronnie Mundt said:

Jim Nantz can make anything dull. They need to revamp coverage completely.

Gotta bring in a yelling, swearing, tank-top wearing cowboy to yell at everyone. It's what ESPN did for CFB so it must be the best move...

• Haha 2

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

It wasn't too long ago we had coverage the afternoon of a tournament and that was only on Sat. and Sun.

Slowly more coverage has been added but it isn't because of CBS, NBC.  Now, we are able to watch much more because ESPN has about 3-4 channels now covering from practically the first tee shot. I'm quite happy with being able to turn on the TV and watch way more golf than we used to be able to.

Is it a pain? Yes, no. It's a matter of older folks like me figuring out how it all works. How to let go of cable-satellite and figure out how to stream.

I really enjoy watching the ESPN channels.  Having to switch when the big boys pick up coverage isn't that difficult unless we try and make it such. Sooner or later the remote becomes your friend.

As far as all the names playing together, outside of the majors and the Players, show me a tournament when they did all play together. Always names missing.

Edited by idrive
sp
  • Like 3