Winter Golf Withdrawal Symptoms

124»

Comments

• hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

LOL, someone from Tennessee worried about "winter".

Our winters are "elite" - just a humorous cross reference!
    there is always a colder winter somewhere on the map. Just because one lives in a colder environment does not mean his winter isn't cold and snowy.

Al Roker?
    Yes, you win, your winters are the worst! The trophy is on it's way.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,275 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 14, 2018 #93
    blehnhard wrote:

Several people in the community where I live have nice tables in their homes and we have 2 very nice tables in our clubhouse as well as a golf simulator. I can run an occasional 8 and 9 ball table and had a nice 11 ball run at straight pool on Monday, but missed my position on the break ball so that ended that. I have room in the basement for a 9 footer, but the wife has too much of her stuff down there, so that is a no go since I do have places to play.

Lucky man! None of my friends play and I really miss just playing "against" someone for a couple hours. Girls will be home for Xmas, they enjoy getting the cover off! Actually have a guy coming tomorrow to start on replacing the no longer vibrant cushions, new cloth, adjusting a shim, so your post was pretty timely for me anyway.

Edit: nothing like an honest craftsman. Cushions fine, cloth needed some stretching, found some spots on the slate that needed some attention, adjusted level and off he went!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • pusb365pusb365 Members Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do feel sorry for you guys who can't play at all over the winter for however many months. Must be frustrating. Are all the ranges shut too?

Over here in the UK we can play through the winter but unless you play a links course all the inland courses are very wet and muddy. It's not much fun, but it's better than nothing
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    pusb365 wrote:

I do feel sorry for you guys who can't play at all over the winter for however many months. Must be frustrating. Are all the ranges shut too?

Over here in the UK we can play through the winter but unless you play a links course all the inland courses are very wet and muddy. It's not much fun, but it's better than nothing

Well, considering we get days that are -30*C where I live, the ranges are shut for the winter haha. There's one I can think of that has heated outdoor stalls, but the balls are low quality and frozen like rocks, so it sucks too bad to be worthwhile.

Only option is a couple domes that are ~200yd long, or simulators. Thank god my course got a new trackman this year.
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pusb365 wrote:
    I said that last year then the Beast from the East struck image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,587 ClubWRX
    I played Monday and it was cold, but it felt so good to be out there, and I even got a birdie on one hole. The first hole was rough as I could barely swing, but I got somewhat warmed up(or used to the cold) and did better on the rest. The driver, putter, and 50* wedge were amazing. I ended up with bogey golf, my usual score. Not sure when I get out again, but not playing Saturday, rain. Glad I went as I got another chance to hit the Mizuno JPX EZ irons.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5 might change
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 6-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly playing Sat definitely Sunday. I'm so excited I never take a round in Dec for granted. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • SomedayScratchSomedayScratch Members Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm flying to AZ next week for 3 rounds of golf. It is going to be awesome, but will also be a huge teaser when I have to put the clubs away for another 3-4 months.
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,587 ClubWRX
    It just keeps raining and raining. The ground is totally saturated. I might have a chance Christmas eve, a little cold, but could do nine!
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5 might change
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 6-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • BigEx44BigEx44 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 21, 2018 #101
    uitar9 wrote:

-Indoor range if you have access

-swinging a wedge (avoiding the floor joists), no ball, 100 swings, 2 to three times a week

-Super slo mo swinging, no ball

-putting 50 -100 balls a day, couple times a week

-indoor league if you have it

-winter golf book reading

-using the snow blower

Amen to this.

Rather than getting depressed about not playing - look at it as an opportunity to practice indoors without a ball or full swings (chips, putts, slo mo or 1/2 swings w/o a ball) in order to improve your full swing.

It's the kind of practice that can lead to real improvement, yet is hard to do when you're playing all the time.

Winter is the perfect excuse to do it.

Me personally, I'm using this winter to try and eliminate a little bit of sway in my swing.

Lot's of slo mo swings and drills.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file