How Do You Go About Picking a 3 Wood?

kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

Recently, it seems like 3 woods have been drifting more toward driver replacements. For some people that are super long with their driver or just hit 3 wood better off a tee, these are probably great changes. I noticed when I was testing 3 woods I wanted the opposite.

I wanted my driver to be a low spin monster and have my three wood be able to go after greens from the fairway with some height/spin for stopping power. For that reason I preferred a lower profile and not a super low launch shaft.

Wanted to see what the thoughts were around this trend and how you guys go about picking a 3 wood or any other wood.

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
4-UW - Ping i210 DG 120 S300
Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Comments

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go to my fitter, tell them what I'm looking for and why. Test and I have the club I'm after.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • golfschnellgolfschnell Members Posts: 274 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2019 2:13pm #4

for your stated needs, I would consider a 4 wood when you are getting fit

• VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've found myself looking for the same thing you have, less of a driver replacement and more of a control club. For that reason I've gravitated towards 4 and 5 woods. Go to a demo day and hit everything and see what stands out, then go from there regarding a fitting and dialing in exactly what you need.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfschnell said:

Recent golf research shows that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The 4W has a couple of extra degrees of loft which aids launch, and a slightly shorter shaft to aid control.

On shaft length, check the specs of models you're considering. The TaylorMade models have a 3W/HL (high launch) which has a loft a 16.5° or 17° (4W for most other OEMs). It has, however, a 3W length shaft (usually 43"). Tour Edge has an EXS model with clubs labeled 3Ws that come in 13 °, 15° and 17° lofts, but all with 43" shafts.

Personally, I am in season #8 for using 4W + 7W. A 7W has some distance separation, and is superb out of medium rough and can hold greens on longish par 3 holes.

And, get fit. The idea of buying six used 3W and hoping for the best is an excellent way to blow a season and have nothing to show for it.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • TheInfidelTheInfidel Gotta let the Big Dog eat.... Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ChipNRun said:

@golfschnell said:

Recent golf research shows that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The 4W has a couple of extra degrees of loft which aids launch, and a slightly shorter shaft to aid control.

On shaft length, check the specs of models you're considering. The TaylorMade models have a 3W/HL (high launch) which has a loft a 16.5° or 17° (4W for most other OEMs). It has, however, a 3W length shaft (usually 43"). Tour Edge has an EXS model with clubs labeled 3Ws that come in 13 °, 15° and 17° lofts, but all with 43" shafts.

Personally, I am in season #8 for using 4W + 7W. A 7W has some distance separation, and is superb out of medium rough and can hold greens on longish par 3 holes.

And, get fit. The idea of buying six used 3W and hoping for the best is an excellent way to blow a season and have nothing to show for it.

The 915F range also does this. They have a 16.5 three wood. I've just picked one up for $50 and put an original Bi-Matrix in it at stock 43' length even though I take my clubs 1/2' over. It's a lowish profile head but the loft really helps with hitting down on it and launching.

Ping G400 9* Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 (+16g head weight)
    Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
    Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5 +0.5' 4-PW
    Mizuno S18 50* Project X LZ 6.0 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 58* S400 +0.5'
    Odyssey Dual Force 990 

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 3 wood based on whichever low spin combo I could get the best value out of because I've tested 10 3 woods and can't decide between any of them. went with TS3 and stock shaft in an 80 gram weight class with x-flex, added bonus they fit for the proper swing weight I like. The M5 was my favorite but with the correct shaft and specs it would have run me over $700 and I wasn't about to be paying that for a 3 wood that I rarely hit when my $300 one is just as good.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • wrm2120wrm2120 Members Posts: 52 ✭✭

This is why I still game a TaylorMade Aeroburner HL. Even though it's 16.5 degrees, I line up left and try to hit high fades with it. I feel like I really try to hit down with it and it still jumps up in the air, and it usually goes between 240-260, which is perfect for getting up near the green on a par 5.

Whenever I think I might be ready to replace it, I hit a beauty that reminds me why I have kept it for so long. I think 16.5 is the perfect loft for someone looking to hold greens and not replace their driver.

Driver: Callaway XR 16
    3 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner HL
    Irons: Ping S-55 (3-PW)
    Wedges: Ping Glide (54 & 58)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Ball: Callaway Chromesoft TrueVis

@wrm2120 said:
    This is why I still game a TaylorMade Aeroburner HL. Even though it's 16.5 degrees, ...

I have the Aerob's older brother, 16.5 RBZ Stage.2 3W/HL, in my backup bag.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

3 woods are tough to get one you like under all conditions. I have had 3 of them over the last 40+ years. A Macgregor persimmon from the late 70s till early 90’s. A TM burner bubble tour spoon from the early 90,s till 2004. And a TEE CB 2, still in my bag for the last 15 years.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I got fit, it came down to a 16.5 M2 or a 14.5 Ping G. The Ping was easier to hit for me and went the same distance as the M1 3w. I don't expect to hold greens with anything above a 5 iron so no worries there.

• stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Are you going to carry a 5 wood? I do and with that in mind my 3 wood has to perform several tasks. It has to be a viable option off the tee, I have to be able to flight it up or down and left or right. My current gamer is likely never coming out of the bag since it does all those things and is very forgiving.
    My 5 wood is asked to to totally different things. It is mostly used when extra height is required and out of tough lies since it is fairly small and has a v-type sole and two rails. I also rarely hit 5 wood off the tee.

Driver  G410 Plus 9 Project X Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    3 Wood  Rapture 13.5 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood Ping G410 SFT 18 Fujikura Atmos Tour Black 7S
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons  G25 Green Dot 5-U Wedge Ping CFS R+
    Wedges  Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 SS 56/12 & 60/14 WS Ping AWT Wedge
    Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" SS Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Titleist Tour Soft
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭

You hit driver off deck!!!!

Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

@ChipNRun said:

@golfschnell said:

Great point. When picking my 3 wood I made sure it was adjustable for this reason. I can go up and down a degree and a half which, but gapping wise the standard loft works great for me. That is why to me the low profile is so important. It gives me more confidence hitting a 14.5 degree 3 wood. For reference, I also have a 3 hybrid in place of a 5 wood. I found that I was better with the hybrid from the rough.

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-UW - Ping i210 DG 120 S300
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I go to a fitter that has a lot of club head options. I find it difficult to get a good 3-wood because they are not easy to hit well and they usually either go long, but suck to hit off the deck or they hit off the deck well, but don't go as long as I would like.

So that's why I try to get as many head options as I can to find the best one for me. Then I go to Fujikura and get fitted for a shaft.

I also find that 3-wood heads wear down much more quickly than driver heads. So you finally get a head you like and after a short while it's not performing like it once did and the new model heads come in.

RH

• newbsaucenewbsauce Members Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

@ChipNRun said:

4W + 7W = correct answer.

Rogue Driver 13.5 HT ⁞ ATMOS TS Black 6X
    Rogue 4W ⁞ Tour AD TP-6 S
    Rogue 7W ⁞ ROGUE Silver 70 S
    Apex 4H ⁞ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
    Apex MB 18 5I - PW ⁞ Project X 6.0
    Mack Daddy 4 52° ⁞ Project X 6.0
    PM Grind 19 58° ⁞ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin

• Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

I fall more into the first example. Driver is too long in some spots, so 3 wood for me was a 2nd tee club that I could stay short of trouble or give myself a good yardage with. I have found that I rarely have a situation where a shot that I would feel comfortable hitting into a green that I would feel comfortable taking the risk with a 3 wood. Most of the courses I play either have too much trouble around the par 5s to go after or they are short enough that 3 hybrid (19 degrees) is enough club for me to go at them (assuming a good Driver from the tee).

For this reason, I actually took 3 wood out of the bag and replaced with the Original One mini driver. It added 10 yards over my old 15 degree 3 wood and the larger face has a lot more forgiveness. I haven't had a chance to hit it from the deck on the course yet, but if the front of the green were fairly open, I would give it a run from the deck. This works for me because the 3 wood spot is a tee club for me and the hybrid is the longest fairway club I carry.

WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM M3 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Evenflow Black 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

it is a new kind of weird how far the new 3 woods and balls go today
    A different sort of gap issue

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6

@kcd38 said:

@ChipNRun said:

... For reference, I also have a 3 hybrid in place of a 5 wood. I found that I was better with the hybrid from the rough.

You must have better clubhead speed than me. I have trouble with 3H out of summer rough. Along with 7W, I carry a 4H. In colder weather, when the rough is thinner and the wind is higher, I swap out the 7W for a 3H.

What's In The Bag *...

• gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

I'm more about what shaft is in it than anything else. I've never come across an OEM and some boutique 3wds that didn't perform for me. Once you have a ball park of what works for you, its easy pickings. I've been more or less a Diamana BB/Kai'Li guy for like 10+ years, never failed me.

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:
    Driver - Titleist 917D3 9.5* w/ GD DJ 6X
    Woods - TEE E8 Beta 16.5* w/ 85X V2
    Hybrid - Adams Super LSP VST 20* w/ DG TI X100
    Hybrid/DI - Adams Dhy 24* w/ DG TI S400
    Irons - Adams MB2 Raw 5-GW w/ DG TI S400
    Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTG 54* & 58* w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Yes! Abbie Forged 33" or Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

• KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Posts: 277 ClubWRX

My 3 wood requirements are pretty similar to what everyone has posted. Needs to be VERY reliable off the tee when driver would be too long, and have to be comfortable with hitting it off the deck if trying to reach long par 5. I really have never had a 3 wood that I 100% trusted and had a comfort level with from the tee box, until now. This probably comes down to finding proper shaft (getting fit), but I really love the Epic Flash sub zero 3 wood. I find myself hitting it from the tee more than ever now, if there is a remote chance driver can get me in trouble, and my scores have been more consistent. I generally will only hit a 3 hybrid into par 5’s to avoid the potential big number but have used the new 3 wood for a few approach shots with success. The right fairway head matters for sure, but finding the right shaft and weight has been a game changer.

Callaway Rogue sub zero 9 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Titleist 818 H2 19 degree w/ GD tour AD IZ hybrid 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-9, Apex MB pitching wedge w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, Callaway MD4 54-S, 58-X w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • VA_AstraVA_Astra Austin TXClubWRX Posts: 1,868 ✭✭

Getting fit is the first correct answer. But when your trying to get a 3w, what exactly do you want it for?
    Tee shots only, then maybe open up the search for a mini driver in a 12-14* head. I have a Aeroburner 12* mini that is killer for short tight courses.

If it is to play as a FW, or multiple shots. Find one that is easy to launch off the turf. That has so much to do with the shaft as it does the head. with a 3w, im not looking for a super low spin but what that has the launch and carry distance I am looking for. I have hit longer FW's, but none more accurate than in my current bag.

A good spot to start IMO is the Rogue FW's from Callaway, the standard glue in model. Easy to launch, looks great and it goes a long ways.

PXG 0811x Diamana Ahina
    PXG 0841 3w HZRDUS HC Yellow
    Titleist 915 H2 Aldila Rogue Black 
    PXG 0311 4-6 PX Flighted 
    PXG 0311t 7-PW PX Flighted
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58
    Mannkrafted WAVE
    Taylormade TP5/x
  • yellolabyellolab Members Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I play well as long as off the tee I'm in the fairway- so for me, I want my 3 wood to be a forgiving fairway finder. I carry a 4 wood for longer shots off the fairway.

Yankees Suck
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Members Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me picking a 3 wood is all about feel and trajectory (if I don't hit it reasonably high I will lose distance). This spring I went about replacing my fairway woods and while I really, really wanted to go with the new Cobra F9, I just couldn't hit it well. A couple sessions in the GG hitting bays and it was clear that the Callaway Epic Flash fit my swing best (also tried Ping & TM). Didn't need to manipulate anything to get nice high, long, shots. Shaft (evenflow) just felt right (weight + loading).

For me, a 3 wood is 90% about use off the deck. I almost only use for when I need to go for par 5's in 2. If I need a fairway finder I drop down to the 5 wood or even 4 hybrid. I don't find I hit the 3 wood that much straighter than my driver off a tee (probably just don't practice it enough). If I go down 1-2 more clubs my % of fairways hit goes up considerably. So a 3 wood for me is all about trying to rip one 250-260 off the deck.

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kcd38 I've found for me that when trying to find the right amount of spin and height I got with a mid-low launch/low spin shaft in the brand's more forgiving head if they have two (M4 over M3, TS2 over TS3, Flash over Sub Zero) and it seems to be a good recipe for launch, forgiveness and stopping power

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't change fairway woods often, been there done that. It takes alot of time to make a change permanent. And yes, some resales, to find the right one. The woods that I have now that checks all the boxes, are the Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119's. And because these perform for my game, is NOT an endorsement for your game. Individual swings are
    too different. I tried two other 3 woods before this purchase. But I can say, These CBX 119's are the
    keepers for me. Have the 3 and 5 woods, in play and will not be changing anything . Updating fairway woods is a job.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • HobbsHobbs ClubWRX Posts: 44 ClubWRX

I typically use the 3 wood off the tee, I have a difficult time getting good height when hitting it from the fairway. I am in the process of building a 5 wood and going to test it out going for par 5's from the fairway.
    Too add more confusion for you, take a look at the results these guys came up with when testing different lofts of fairway woods. Some of the discussion can be boring, but looking at the results was interesting.

Cobra F9 - Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Cobra F9 Tour 3/4 - 15* - Diamana D+ Limited 70x 
    Mizuno MMC 2 Iron
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    RTX4 50*, 54* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style
  • zedzed Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

Similar to previous post Epic Flash has been the winner for me, I have left at 15 def but increasing loft 1 deg made a huge launch impact. I could happily play that way but am enjoying the slightly lower trajectory.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
    Titleist 915D2 16.5 deg
    Srixon Tour Hybrid 19 deg
    Srixon H65 22 deg
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
    Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
    Lajosi DD201 Long Neck Carbon Steel
  • revanantrevanant Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 4, 2019 1:32pm #30

My main requirement is that my 3 wood has to do double duty. I prefer hitting 3 wood off the tee, but I also carry a driver. If I can’t hit my 3w off the deck, I’m wasting a bag slot.

With this in mind, I recently swapped out my old cobra amp cell 3w. It was great and long off the tee, but the head shape didn’t let me comfortably hit shots off the deck. I had it set at 15 degrees.

My replacement was a new cobra F8 in the standard head and set at 15.5 degrees. It’s been wildly successful so far. I’m hitting great shots off the deck, and haven’t lost a step from the tee—I’m actually a few yards longer. Just played Bethpage Black with it, and it was a major asset when it came to keeping my ball in play and making a long and straight second shot on the boatload of long par-4s.

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno MP-4 w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54-10 M
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,165 ClubWRX

I have tried SO many 3 woods over the last couple years... I am not a super long hitter so a long 15* 3w was always my only option, or so I thought... Short of it, I had a 15* '16 M2 with a Proforce V2 66g stiff shaft and it was a total bomber, but I was inconsistent with it off the deck. Went to the Cobra F9 3w and it was really the best 3w I had tried in the 14.5-15* range. Mid launch bullets that helped me get to Par 5s in two... On a whim, I picked up a '16 M2 16.5* head here (4w) I figured I would experiment with. I paired it with a Matrix white tie Proto X flex shaft I had laying around and it has been a high launching, accurate par 5 killer for me. It's as long as just about any 15* 3w I have hit and way easier off the deck... moral of the story, like mentioned earlier, do not exclude the 4w option if you are looking for distance AND height. Best of both worlds IMO.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist 917f2 15* Diamana S+ 70g 
    Titleist 915h 21*  Rogue black 85
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT  SS1x
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Taylormade Spider Tour red 34"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file