GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

How do you know when you've found "the putter"?

2»

Comments

• getitdailygetitdaily Members  3711WRX Points: 665Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,711 Titanium Tees

It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce rearick's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Rearick suggests for your stroke type.

Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

Posted:
    Post edited by getitdaily on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HairpieHairpie Lincoln, CAMembers  2157WRX Points: 131Posts: 2,157 Platinum Tees

I don't know that it's possible for me find just one. I do know I am partial to anser style heads and carbon steel. I have 3 currently and the major difference in them is offset and weight. My 3 putters have 1.5 offset, 1.0 offset, and no offset. Sometimes I just want a different look at address or switch based on having a recurring miss left or right and the different offsets help with this. 2 of my putters I've had 10+ years and I've won the City Putting Championship with both. The 3rd is a new acquisition and so far it looks like a keeper. I've even got a 4th on the way. If I see a putter isn't going to see any bag time I get rid of it pretty quick.

Posted:
    Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
    TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
    Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
    Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
    TM TP 52*
    TM TP ATV 56*
    TM TP ATV 60*
    Giannini Legacy 3

• Allergic2BirdiesAllergic2Birdies Members  90WRX Points: 51Posts: 90 Fairways

I think it comes down to you just feel confident that youll make any putt with it

Posted:
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members  3181WRX Points: 792Handicap: I.Q.Posts: 3,181 Titanium Tees

When you sell all the other putters you’ve ho’d......that’s when

Posted:
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members  967WRX Points: 132Handicap: ?Posts: 967 Golden Tee

I have about 5 putters that use throughout the season. They do the same job equally well. I am considered a competent putter.
    Early in the season, and late in the season, before and after the summer height cut I use an Evenroll 5.
    Mid summer I use a new one this year principally, a Stroke Labs 7. Going to different places, depending on green speed, I have several others for other courses.

Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5 Miyazaki Kuala 5544
    Callaway Epic 13.5 3W Diamana S 
    Taylormade 5W SIM Diamana R Limited Edition
    Callaway Maverick 3, 4 
    Srixon z785 6-PW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Highway 101 Limited Edition
    TP5X, Pro V1
  • colinhlaucolinhlau Members  30WRX Points: 31Handicap: 11Posts: 30 Bunkers

For me it’s a putter that helps rid all the thoughts in your head. When I set it down and aim, It suits my eye and I’m ready to pull it back. I shouldn’t have to think about what’s going on with the face or how much it weighs.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers  1152WRX Points: 404Handicap: +2.8Posts: 1,152 Platinum Tees

On -, @getitdaily said:

It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce reardon's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Reardon suggests for your stroke type.

Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

Who is Bruce Reardon?!

Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • jmgledhilljmgledhill Members  78WRX Points: 39Posts: 78 Fairways

Lots of people think its the 5-10 ft range but I think it's the other end of the spectrum - the putter that feels best with the lag putt. With short putts your stroke is likely to be very consistent with longer putts you are prone to have more variability and the putter that minimizes that variability is the one.
    I also disagree with the idea of 'feel' of ball strike and 'looks' of putter - none of that matters if you have confidence that the putter will do what you're asking it to do.

For what it's worth, I tried every putter in the demo bag at the club and on the rack at golf galaxy and ended up with the spider x, which i think is hideous in comparison to the Cameron's.

Posted:
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3711WRX Points: 665Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,711 Titanium Tees

On -, @tgoodspe1991 said:

On -, @getitdaily said:

It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce reardon's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Reardon suggests for your stroke type.

Who is Bruce Reardon?!

Whoops...autocorrect maybe?

Bruce Rearick - Burnt Edge blog

Posted:
  • titleless_30titleless_30 Members  109WRX Points: 43Handicap: +1.7Posts: 109 Fairways

When I can forget about the stroke and consistency hit my line. As well as a pure roll outside 30 feet.

Posted:
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members  183WRX Points: 90Posts: 183 Fairways

On -, @tgoodspe1991 said:

On -, @Double Dodger said:

There is only one way to really know. You will know when the same putter has been in your bag for about 5 years. Then you will really know.....

Nothing has been in my golf bag for 5 years, not even the same golf bag itself haha

Then it’s safe to say you haven’t found the one....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • deleebardeleebar Members  6WRX Points: 42Posts: 6 Bunkers

In addition to what everyone else has said, it should be one that inspires confidence. I know putter people scoff at OTR putters in addition to any putter that isn't betti, cameron, or toulon, but i've been gaming a 2010 nike method putter for almost a decade. I haven't intentionally been looking for putters, but every year there's a new crop of putters that pique my interest, and every year i take my putter to the golf galaxy and run it through the gauntlet of lengths of putts against the "latest and greatest". I always come away thinking that I have confidence with my current putter, and there wasn't anything about the new putter that would add any value to my putting game.

Posted:
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members  1486WRX Points: 437Handicap: 1Posts: 1,486 Platinum Tees

If it helps, I found my dream putter that hands down blew my mind and I still shop for putters all the time. Just because it's the best for my game doesn't mean I don't want to experience other putters for fun. After all, that open mind set is how/why I found that putter in the first place.

Posted:

-Cobra F8+ driver w/ Tensei pro orange -TS3/TS2 15* w/ Evenflow -818 H2 17* w/ Atmos -816 H2 19* w/ Motore Speeder -MP64's with Ctapers

-Vokeys 46.06, 52.12, 60.04/60.07 -Kingston KP1 welded Long neck

• JoelsimJoelsim Members  1428WRX Points: 533Handicap: 12Posts: 1,428 Platinum Tees

On -, @Rory4Pres said:

If it helps, I found my dream putter that hands down blew my mind and I still shop for putters all the time. Just because it's the best for my game doesn't mean I don't want to experience other putters for fun. After all, that open mind set is how/why I found that putter in the first place.

Couldn’t agree more. Putting can be pretty dull, having a rotation certainly makes me want to practice more, and it increases my enjoyment on the course.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Hybrids: Titleist TS3 19* Stiff HZRDUS Smoke & TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-UW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 54D, Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • BYKBYK Cardinals NationMembers  2245WRX Points: 364Posts: 2,245 Platinum Tees

Still looking lol
    I have plenty that I love though....

Posted:
    Yadi for President
  • ckayckay Members  4660WRX Points: 732Posts: 4,660 Titanium Tees

Fastback Select is something I will go back to for a confidence boost.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Members  338WRX Points: 192Posts: 338 Greens

When you walk onto the green and instantly feel like no matter where it is, how far away or how crap of a line it is that you feel it can go in or atleast guarantee you a 2 putt!

Posted:
  • golfbuddygolfbuddy Members  260WRX Points: 86Posts: 260 Greens

On -, @Zengolfer36 said:

When you stop looking at others putters and tinkering, youve found the one.

Yup. You just know.

Posted:
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members  83WRX Points: 47Posts: 83 Fairways

I think you've found the one when you stand over your putt with confidence. There's just something to be said when you walk up for a 6 footer and know it's going in as opposed to walking up and questioning if it's going to go in or not. From a looks standpoint I need a slant/flow neck or I just can't use it.

Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5*)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Srixon Z785 (6-PW)
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion (50*, 54*)
                   Taylormade Hi-Toe (60*)
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Titleist AVX
  • cburrows33cburrows33 Members  130WRX Points: 79Posts: 130 Fairways

A couple things for me. Sam puttlab confirmation is huge in my mind for confidence. That encompasses roll, aim, etc. That narrows the search, but is not the end all be all. Feel plays a part for me and looks are important, but things will look better as more putts go in. The last thing is grip because Ive found I roll certain grips better than others and it can alter how the putter feels (balance of the putter and off the face feel). Grip is the point of contact to the putter and can change feel, if you dont have the loving feeling with a putter, but the looks and performance are there it might be time to switch grips. A putter i was on the fence about that looked great and performance was great but the feel was not ideal changed completely when i put a different grip on it. hope this helps

Current gamer: Evnroll ER2 blackout with a SS claw 1.0 (but i dont claw grip it, just loved the shape and how it sits in my hands)

Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members  4370WRX Points: 386Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees

For selecting a putter.
    You should find one that will keep the putter head on line without too much a struggle. A swing gate style user should be at ease with some toe hung ( toe heavy ) and the straight back and through style should be better with the face balanced putter.
    Each one of us set up slightly differently at address.
    We set up with a unique posture, stance, which we feel comfortable and our eyes could follow the intended line of putt ( where you could see the line better ). Some like an open stance and some like pigeon toe stance and some like to bend more at the knee, and some at the hip and shoulders............
    Find a putter that could consistently send the golf ball online is the top consideration.
    Next, you should consider the other elements like the static weight of the putter ( total weight), the feel of the putter ( swing weight), the length of the putter and last but not least, the aesthetic of the putter ( you have to like the look of the putter to roll it well but you can definitely learn to love an ugly putter if it rolls in most the putts for you ).
    What we're looking for in a putter should be the one that could roll the golf ball on line with the control of the speed we want ( variable on different length and different putting surface ).
    As any other golf clubs in the bag, when you found one that's like an extension of your body, chances are you'll do better with it.
    Do not get into an awkward posture to try to manipulate the putting stroke, in other words, don;t try to alter your putting stroke to suit the putter. Thiis the one part of the game which you will do better if you be yourself.
    Caution, not all do this but some of the indoor putting had the surface of the putting funneled to the cups, it'll make that much easier for the ball to find the cup. If you're interested in getting a putter, ask to putt it outdoor on a real putting green. A local brick and mortar golf store has it's own driving range and putting green in the back of the store and they sell a lot of golf equipments.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Mike_CMike_C Members  1600WRX Points: 207Posts: 1,600 Platinum Tees

As far as getting fit, I never have, I would love too to see what something like a Sam puttlab would recommend.

Now to find out if a putter is right for me, I like to test out if I can hit short putts where I intend too. I try to find the straightest 6-8 footer I can on the practice green, and try to roll them straight in. Preferably with a chalk line or string above the hole. If I can't start a putt where I am aiming from that distance, I either have a mechanical flaw in my stroke, or the putter is not fit correctly. Second is speed control, can I consistently hit long putts (30 ft plus) similar distances. Not so much if they are all long or all short, that can be OK, if I hit them the same distance. That is feel and I can work that out, but if I hit one putt 8 feet short and the next 8 feet buy consistently, something is wrong, either with the putter, quite often too much/little loft, or I am not hitting the center of the face consistently.....

I've been testing a Spider X slant neck recently, have been playing a Tyne 4, mostly as I am not 100% sure about the Ping insert. Something to me is just not right with the Spider X, I am much more inconsistent left to right with the line vs the Ping, or the 2ball I played earlier in the year. The Spider X felt pretty good indoors in the shop, but on the real green, not so much, I think it is going back to the shop....

Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G410 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
    Calaway Epic flash 3 and 4 hybrid, stock stiff Tensei Silver
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland CBX 2 52 bent to 51 DG 115 W
    Cleveland CBX 2 54/10 DG 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Odyssey White Hot #6, back ups Never Compromise Dinero Baron  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.