Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

How do you know when you've found "the putter"?

2»

Comments

• getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 3:27pm #32

It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce rearick's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Rearick suggests for your stroke type.

Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

Post edited by getitdaily on
  • HairpieHairpie Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that it's possible for me find just one. I do know I am partial to anser style heads and carbon steel. I have 3 currently and the major difference in them is offset and weight. My 3 putters have 1.5 offset, 1.0 offset, and no offset. Sometimes I just want a different look at address or switch based on having a recurring miss left or right and the different offsets help with this. 2 of my putters I've had 10+ years and I've won the City Putting Championship with both. The 3rd is a new acquisition and so far it looks like a keeper. I've even got a 4th on the way. If I see a putter isn't going to see any bag time I get rid of it pretty quick.

Srixon 565 10.5, miyazaki mizu 6S
    TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
    Srixon h65 19*/miyazaki mizu 7S
    Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
    Cleveland rtx 48*
    TM TP 52*
    TM TP ATV 56*
    John Byron Dalehead Eleven 

• DelPonchoDelPoncho Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

I think it comes down to you just feel confident that youll make any putt with it

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 2:56am #35

When you sell all the other putters you’ve ho’d......that’s when

• QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about 5 putters that use throughout the season. They do the same job equally well. I am considered a competent putter.
    Early in the season, and late in the season, before and after the summer height cut I use an Evenroll 5.
    Mid summer I use a new one this year principally, a Stroke Labs 7. Going to different places, depending on green speed, I have several others for other courses.

Srixon z785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0
    Callaway Flash 13.5 65 S EvenFlo
    Cobra 2,3,4 Hybrids PX
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, Titleist AVX
  • colinhlaucolinhlau Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

For me it’s a putter that helps rid all the thoughts in your head. When I set it down and aim, It suits my eye and I’m ready to pull it back. I shouldn’t have to think about what’s going on with the face or how much it weighs.

• tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@getitdaily said:
    It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce reardon's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Reardon suggests for your stroke type.

Easy peasy. And why I'm in a plumber's neck spider tour after 2.5 years and about 10 other putters.

Who is Bruce Reardon?!

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • jmgledhilljmgledhill Members Posts: 41 ✭✭

Lots of people think its the 5-10 ft range but I think it's the other end of the spectrum - the putter that feels best with the lag putt. With short putts your stroke is likely to be very consistent with longer putts you are prone to have more variability and the putter that minimizes that variability is the one.
    I also disagree with the idea of 'feel' of ball strike and 'looks' of putter - none of that matters if you have confidence that the putter will do what you're asking it to do.

For what it's worth, I tried every putter in the demo bag at the club and on the rack at golf galaxy and ended up with the spider x, which i think is hideous in comparison to the Cameron's.

• getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@getitdaily said:
    It's easy...after you've gone through several SAM puttlab sessions so you know your stroke type, have read bruce reardon's blog, and have tested several putters in the style Reardon suggests for your stroke type.

Who is Bruce Reardon?!

Whoops...autocorrect maybe?

Bruce Rearick - Burnt Edge blog

• titleless_30titleless_30 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

When I can forget about the stroke and consistency hit my line. As well as a pure roll outside 30 feet.

• Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@Double Dodger said:
    There is only one way to really know. You will know when the same putter has been in your bag for about 5 years. Then you will really know.....

Nothing has been in my golf bag for 5 years, not even the same golf bag itself haha

Then it’s safe to say you haven’t found the one....

• deleebardeleebar Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

In addition to what everyone else has said, it should be one that inspires confidence. I know putter people scoff at OTR putters in addition to any putter that isn't betti, cameron, or toulon, but i've been gaming a 2010 nike method putter for almost a decade. I haven't intentionally been looking for putters, but every year there's a new crop of putters that pique my interest, and every year i take my putter to the golf galaxy and run it through the gauntlet of lengths of putts against the "latest and greatest". I always come away thinking that I have confidence with my current putter, and there wasn't anything about the new putter that would add any value to my putting game.

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If it helps, I found my dream putter that hands down blew my mind and I still shop for putters all the time. Just because it's the best for my game doesn't mean I don't want to experience other putters for fun. After all, that open mind set is how/why I found that putter in the first place.

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rory4Pres said:
    If it helps, I found my dream putter that hands down blew my mind and I still shop for putters all the time. Just because it's the best for my game doesn't mean I don't want to experience other putters for fun. After all, that open mind set is how/why I found that putter in the first place.

Couldn’t agree more. Putting can be pretty dull, having a rotation certainly makes me want to practice more, and it increases my enjoyment on the course.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Still looking lol
    I have plenty that I love though....

Yadi for President
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Fastback Select is something I will go back to for a confidence boost.

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

When you walk onto the green and instantly feel like no matter where it is, how far away or how crap of a line it is that you feel it can go in or atleast guarantee you a 2 putt!

Hitting it straight is overrated! 

• golfbuddygolfbuddy Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@Zengolfer36 said:
    When you stop looking at others putters and tinkering, youve found the one.

Yup. You just know.

• armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

I think you've found the one when you stand over your putt with confidence. There's just something to be said when you walk up for a 6 footer and know it's going in as opposed to walking up and questioning if it's going to go in or not. From a looks standpoint I need a slant/flow neck or I just can't use it.

Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5*)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Srixon Z785 (6-PW)
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion (50*, 54*)
                   Taylormade Hi-Toe (60*)
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X/Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights