Who else loves watching a good meltdown on the course? Am I the only one????

Comments

• Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  424WRX Points: 231Handicap: 19Posts: 424 Greens

I thought that was a known rule you can't laugh at others unless you can laugh at yourself

Posted:
    Post edited by Warrior42111 on

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48
    / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"
    Snell MTB-X

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PoolPondPoolPond Members  84WRX Points: 100Posts: 84 Fairways

They actually make me feel uncomfortable. I used to throw a club or two ever few years, maybe bury a wedge, definitely get so upset that I came home upset and my wife knew I played bad. All of those behaviors left me about 10 years ago. I simply don't care enough anymore to have those kinds of reactions. I'm not a pro, I barely practice. Yes I am single digit and have been for a long time so I get a tad upset with chunked shots or a drive OB but then again I remind myself that I don't practice so what do I expect. I definitely enjoy golf much more since I stopped.

I do get a kick out of 12 cappers who get so upset after a missed shot as if they were a pro. Round after round. Usually a comment as quick as "don't worry, you're not a pro" will do.

I used to play with a real hot head and he had a couple of episodes that have never left me. He once came off a green and shook his cart back and forth so much that two wheels were coming off the ground, everything in it flew out everywhere. He was so pissed but the three of us just laughed at him. Another time, he pulled a drive on the first hole that after 23 years of playing this course, it's still the furthest left I've ever seen a drive. He then puts one so far right, not the furthest I've seen but pretty far. I was playing some music on the first hole, which we all do including him (I have respect if I'm not in a music group and I only play reggae so that should no bother anyone) but he then hits a third drive in the fairway and when we all get up to the balls he decides to blame my music for his drives. It was the first, and last, time he had ever come at me but I got a kick out of it and very quickly asked if the music really made him pull that first drive as far as I've ever seen. I then went on to point out that those were two of the worst drives I've ever seen hit in that hole there's no possible way it was the music that is had to be that **** swing he put on them etc. etc. etc. I would not have said anything but as soon as he blamed it on the music I was off to the races. 14 holes later and I'm still asking him how exactly music could put a swing on a ball that made it go over the houses and land in the street.

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4912WRX Points: 761Posts: 4,912 Titanium Tees

I have a friend that goes on tilt occasionally. Other than that he's the calmest guy on the course. It's quite funny when he goes on tilt. The bionic hearing is a hoot.

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9239WRX Points: 2,889Posts: 9,239 Titanium Tees

Love me a good melt down. Best I saw was a buddy who picked up and DQd himself from a tournament after putting 7 straight balls into the drink on a par 3. Honorable mention to the club slamming fellow who broke his 3W on the first day of a 2 day tournament. Seeing him shopping early morning day 2 in the pro shop lulz

Posted:
  • rogolfrogolf Members  4347WRX Points: 592Posts: 4,347 Titanium Tees

My usual rant - why is this thread in this forum? It deserves to be in 19th hole.

Posted:
  • AugsterAugster Members  4665WRX Points: 569Posts: 4,665 Titanium Tees

Seeing a meltdown is awesome. I live for it also. I love it when a meltdown is so huge, and usually loud, that I can see/hear it from afar on another hole. That way I can point it out to the guys I’m playing with and we can all watch together and laugh and point at the idiot.

I’ve been with people who have real meltdowns. It’s HILARIOUS in the moment, and after, but I feel I have to stifle my laughter so I don’t unexpectedly get hit by a swung or thrown club. They will lash out and try to hurt you. So you don’t get to laugh out loud at them until they’ve calmed down a little. One guy gave up the game, finally. I never saw him hit a good shot or shoot a good round. He was awful. Didn’t stop him from going berserk at LEAST once per round. His last name is Landfield but we always called him Minefield behind his back because you never knew what was going to make him detonate.

Good times. Good memories. Horrible behavior.

Posted:

Advertisement

Is on course behavior (or misbehavior) not included in etiquette?

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,189Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • newbsaucenewbsauce Members  188WRX Points: 103Posts: 188 Fairways

In my group, it wasn't really a good round unless someone threw a club in anger.

Posted:

Rogue Driver 13.5° HT ⁞ ATMOS TS Black 6X
    Rogue 4W ⁞ Tour AD TP-6 S
    Rogue 7W ⁞ ROGUE Silver 110 MSI 70 S
    Apex 4H ⁞ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
    Apex MB 18 5-PW ⁞ Project X 6.0
    Mack Daddy 4 GW 52° ⁞ Project X 6.0
    PM Grind 19 LW 58° ⁞ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin
    WITB Link

• ZA206ZA206 Members  777WRX Points: 163Handicap: 4.0Posts: 777 Golden Tee

Mods moved it here. My OP was in general golf talk.... so don’t ask me!

Posted:
    TM 2020 SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Blue - Velocore 60TX
    TM 2019 M5 15 3W  with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-7X
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    Mizuno JPX 919F 5-PW with DG120 X100
    TM 50, 56 & 60 Hi Toe with S300
    Odyssey stroke lab 10
  • rogolfrogolf Members  4347WRX Points: 592Posts: 4,347 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  513WRX Points: 94Handicap: 8Posts: 513 Golden Tee

There are stories about guys breaking a club and having it stab themselves. Meltdown guys can be dangerous. You can be hit by their flying club.

Posted:
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees

Not really into meltdowns within my group. Not in the least.

However, I do love me a good pro melt. It's good TV, man. I draw the line at club throwing though. If they want to melt down, fine, whatever. They're just reflecting on themselves. But when they throw a club, they can get someone hurt, just because they can't handle a game. I guess the exception is if they have the wherewithal to throw it into a pond. Then we can critique the form on slo-mo. Gotta clear those hips, you know

Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees

This thread reminded me. Last week on EBay I saw a set of ping irons for sale. Heads only, because each wand every shaft in the pic was broken lulz

Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers  331WRX Points: 315Handicap: 13Posts: 331 Greens

Vindog, I got a set of AP2 714 that are mostly just the heads with a bit of shaft sticking out, and only the 9 and 5 iron intact. I was just thinking of selling them too lol

Although I'm now living clean in terms of on course meltdowns, I had a close call a few weeks back at work that made me stop and think hard about my ridiculous and childish temper tantrums.

Was working in the warehouse covering for the shipper on vacay, and I honestly don't remember why I flipped out but the result was me whipping a hammer at a crate about 15 feet in front of me. (I'm talking a very hard throw!) I envisioned the hammer blasting right through the darn thing but I quickly noticed the trajectory was way off and well below the strike zone. The hammer ricocheted off the cement floor and then bounced off the crate and I watched frozen as it came right back at me, waist high. Luckily it passed about 4 inches clear of my right hip and landed 20 feet behind me.

I immediately rewound the whole thing in my head and imagined how F'd I'd be if the thing had struck me in the nether region. I said to myself "final warning bud, next one is gonna do some serious damage...make this the last time please."

I've been living alone way too long and when there's no one around to call you out on your bad behaviours, this stuff goes un-punished and eventually escalates into the absurd.

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & SM7 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood from endangered rainforests

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1220WRX Points: 383Posts: 1,220 Platinum Tees

nearly All people who throw tantrums are not good enough players not to expect playing bad. You look like what you are

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Advertisement
  • oikos1oikos1 Members  2772WRX Points: 547Posts: 2,772 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX  2569WRX Points: 187Handicap: 11Posts: 2,569 Titanium Tees

most definitely I have seen some great meltdowns in the past, always a good laugh!

Posted:
    Signature of Solon CC
    Mizuno st200 10.5 w/Kuro Kage XM60
    Titleist TS2 (tour issue)15 Aldila Blue NV 70 42.75”
    Honma BeZeal 535 Tour Ad f-75 18
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Nippon Modus3 Pro 105 4-pw 
    Cleveland RTX4 Modus3 tour 120 stiff (50,56)
    Honma tw-w4 Modus3 tour 120 60
    Evnroll Er10 Outback 33.75 superstroke 1.0p
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,189Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees

That theory has loads of holes. We’ve all seen Stenson destroy a driver with either his knee , a tee marker or a cart path ..... he’s on camera explaining his destroying a computer ( or DVD player i forget ) because it didn’t work properly. and he’s a pretty decent player. Lmao. That old adage has never been true. And never will be.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25396WRX Points: 2,556Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,396 ClubWRX

Playing a little muni about 40 years ago and one of our college guys who just struggles with the game was having a really bad day. After one particularly miserable shot he started on a tirade. GDMFCSSOB and a lot more. As he turned thinking it was us next to him, he realized next to him was a group of 4 nuns who were less than pleased with his diatribe and just scolded him like a 3 year old for his commentary.

We still give him grief about that to this day.

Posted:
  • oikos1oikos1 Members  2772WRX Points: 547Posts: 2,772 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members  3092WRX Points: 331Posts: 3,092 Titanium Tees

I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who said you shouldn't believe everything you see and read on the internet.

Posted:
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    D: ST180 / 3W: GT 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1220WRX Points: 383Posts: 1,220 Platinum Tees

I’m not sure if I should be proud or ashamed that I had no problem interpreting that long acronym with zero delay

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • newbsaucenewbsauce Members  188WRX Points: 103Posts: 188 Fairways

The "CS" had me stumped for a second, but I think I'm up to speed now. Please keep the profane initialisms coming.

Posted:

Rogue Driver 13.5° HT ⁞ ATMOS TS Black 6X
    Rogue 4W ⁞ Tour AD TP-6 S
    Rogue 7W ⁞ ROGUE Silver 110 MSI 70 S
    Apex 4H ⁞ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
    Apex MB 18 5-PW ⁞ Project X 6.0
    Mack Daddy 4 GW 52° ⁞ Project X 6.0
    PM Grind 19 LW 58° ⁞ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin
    WITB Link

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32663WRX Points: 2,906Posts: 32,663 Titanium Tees

The word "schadenfreude" comes to mind. :-)

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Advertisement
  • txsndvltxsndvl Members, Paid BST  75WRX Points: 85Posts: 75 Fairways

Personally I find it better when the entire group is laughing. The exchange of cash exchanged whether small or large wont change my day but the laughs will.

Posted:
  • Tax77Tax77 Members  15WRX Points: 43Posts: 15 Bunkers

I don't really enjoy it but it usually happens when I'm playing well, my best round last year happened when my cousin threw his 9 iron 30-40 yards into a grass field on the 15th hole.

Posted:
  • sigmapete1sigmapete1 Members  1228WRX Points: 73Handicap: 10Posts: 1,228 Platinum Tees

Kind of depends on the person that melts down.

If they were generally a pleasant person before the meltdown then I feel bad.

If they were obnoxious from the start then I do enjoy it (especially if they end up storming off the course so I can enjoy the rest of the round)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PuffyCPuffyC Members  30WRX Points: 28Posts: 30 Bunkers

I don't mind seeing it on the tour, after all, there's millions of dollars and a career at stake. If I see it while playing the local course on some random weekend then that bothers me quite a bit. If you're getting that worked up about something that is in the end completely meaningless you have pretty serious anger management problems and should consult a trained professional for help. After all, if the worst thing that happens to you this week is that you had a bad round of golf, you're having a pretty awesome week.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.