Are You The Only WRXer in Your Group?

flip flappy ·  
flip flappyflip flappy Members  1007WRX Points: 191Posts: 1,007 Platinum Tees

One of my main golfing buddies plays a TaylorMade R9 driver. He bought this club new in '09 and hits it really well. Very rarely misses a fairway and still gets the ball out there. I have told him for a few months that he should go get fit for a new driver but he has a trip with his son to Pebble Beach and Spyglass in March and doesn't want to be trying something new on such a trip. Well just so happens that he cracks the head of the old R9 yesterday and I am immediately thinking new driver but what does he do, order another R9 from Global Golf! The only way he ever gets new grips is if he buys a new set of irons or wedges, which is not very often. He has the most unconventional swing you will ever see yet he rarely shoots over 74. All this got me to thinking, do you have any friends who just don't care anything about technology or new clubs and you find yourself telling them about the stuff you have read on here. Are you the only WRXer in your group?

Posted:
Ping G400 Max 10.5
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Comments

• braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6251WRX Points: 1,542Handicap: 10Posts: 6,251 Titanium Tees

Heck, I'm the only one at our course as far as I know.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Ping Anser 20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers  3793WRX Points: 286Posts: 3,793 Titanium Tees

I'm the only WRX'r I know of in our group. No one else has ever heard of this place.

As far as equipment. I've sold, or caused to be purchased, 5 drivers in my group alone.

1. Buddy was playing an old TM, I sold him a used 10.5 Ping K15. He gained easily 20-30 yards
    2. Buddy purchased a used Ping G after he saw what the K15 did to #1
    3. Sold a Ping G SFT driver and 3 wood to another guy in our group
    4. Sold a PXG driver to the guy that runs our money game
    5. Buddy was using a TM SLDR...had him hit my GMAX on 5 holes last week and he immediately purchased one before the end of the round using his cellphone!!

Most people have never heard of this site and don't care in the least about what clubs they play.

Posted:
  • stonebart72stonebart72 Members  37WRX Points: 33Handicap: 12Posts: 37 Bunkers

I am the only one as well. It’s nice when I find someone that knows the site. Just joined but been lurking in the shadows for a long time. Good info here.

Posted:

Titleist TS3 9.5*

Wilson Staff Utility Irons 18* / 23*

Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW

Corey Paul Art 50/54/58

Custom Made Putter by Me

• FadeFade Members  1332WRX Points: 241Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees

As far as I know I am the only golfwrx-member in my regular group. I am not sure I qualify as a WRXer according to the OP's definition though. My interest is golf in general, I am not just here to find out about new golf-technology and new clubs or other equipment.

Posted:
  • kozubskozubs Members  303WRX Points: 98Handicap: 5Posts: 303 Greens

Think I'm the only one on the forum that I know but I don't qualify as a WRXer. I love to tinker but hate buying new clubs. Prices seems too outrageous for minimal if any gains. All my clubs are from clearance sales or second hand. I'd rather spend the money on travel and membership. Give me a club that I can fell the ball on and I'm happy.

MP63 Irons - 10 years old

LTD Pro Driver - 5 years old - replaced my 2 burner tp's after each got a dented face

BB Alpha DBD 816 - 5 years old

Method Putter 7 years old

Cleveland RTX 3 wedges - 3 years old I think

Posted:

Advertisement
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers  2751WRX Points: 204Handicap: +1.3Posts: 2,751 Titanium Tees

I play often with one WRX'er who mostly browse in BST and Tour section and there is 3-4 other lurking WRX'ers that I know of at my club. Only one of them rotates clubs often.

Posted:
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Callaway Epic Flash TC 10.5, Speeder Evolution V 661 stiff(45")
    Epic TI 15* Speeder Evolution II 765 stiff
    Rogue 7 wood IROC stiff
    '18 X-Forged Utility 24* $-Taper 120
    Callaway '19 Smoke Apex Pro 5-PW Black $-Taper 120
    Callaway Black MD4 52S & 58S
    Bobby Grace LFI 43" or Gauge Design 303SS Tour Only 34"

Old GHIN HC +0.8
    New WHC +1.3

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25366WRX Points: 2,510Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,366 ClubWRX

Our group of 14 has 2 guys that are somewhat regular posters, 1 lurker/occasional poster, and 2 former posters.

Posted:
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members  465WRX Points: 268Posts: 465 Greens

Only one in group, and know there are a few in my city. Guys in my group like gear but don;t obsess like we do, and they all actually have a club or 2 from me selling lol. They usually hear about new stuff from me but never order custom, they play all stock stuff but they don't care. I always forget that we are like less than 1 percent of the golfing public hahahah.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 10.5* - Diamana DF 70 TX

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Callaway X Forged UT 21* - KBS $ Taper 130X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 - DG S400

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

• BB28403BB28403 Members  4276WRX Points: 751Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees

Don’t talk about WRX Club. It is known 😆

Posted:

Advertisement
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members  6475WRX Points: 191Handicap: 19Posts: 6,475 Titanium Tees

I am the only one at my course also. In my group the guys only change their grips when they buy new clubs.

I am not a typical WRX'r but i am a grip changer and the needed clubs.

Posted:
    TM M5 Tour 430 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
    TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6068WRX Points: 1,283Handicap: mePosts: 6,068 Titanium Tees

One of my golfing mates is an occasional lurker here. He's a golf gear-head, but English isn't his first language, so he doesn't post.

Another friend is keen but not a gear-head. He also has two empty spots in is bag. My gear-head friend and I enjoy ourselves by trying to get him to fill these spots (seriously, he really needs a 3-wood or 4-wood). We live vicariously through him.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • TimK1TimK1 Members  320WRX Points: 210Posts: 320 Greens

I'm the only one I know of. I am not long for this myself. I'm too opnionated and I hate wasting my energy on usless disagreements. Mostly my fault. I am on no social media because of this and forums are not much better for me.

Posted:
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX  868WRX Points: 302Handicap: 12Posts: 868 ClubWRX

I've mentioned the site to a couple of guys I regularly play with but I don't think they've joined... they get a big kick out of me playing new clubs at the start of each season

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: TS2 10.5 - Diamana DF 60 TX
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members  6141WRX Points: 4,104Posts: 6,141 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°
    TM '09 Rescue 5H
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    Cleveland CBX 56° SW
    Rossa Tourismo 3 Counterbalanced

Advertisement
  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers  953WRX Points: 183Handicap: 6.6Posts: 953 Golden Tee

Yep. I've mentioned it to my buddies, but none have jumped on board AFAIK.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood
    Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid KBS 80 S
    Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
    Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #1 33"
  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada. Members  472WRX Points: 293Posts: 472 Greens

Very small group here and I'm the only one. But **** I get excited every time I see another Canadian on here, let alone someone local. (I have seen a couple fairly local posters though)

Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Studio Select NP2 mid slant 
  • GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members  849WRX Points: 83Posts: 849 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  2816WRX Points: 1,105Posts: 2,816 Titanium Tees

No one else I know is on here, but they listen to my 'gear advice' like I'm golf jesus. They also love the deals I pass down to them in the group text from the deals forum here.

I dont buy golf gear every month to make me better, I buy it because its fun and I like new things. If you're buying a new driver every year because you think its making you better, you're kidding yourself.

Posted:

President of ShaftHos Anonymous

• Sean2Sean2 Members  32505WRX Points: 2,523Posts: 32,505 Titanium Tees

Yes, I am.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Advertisement
  • kozubskozubs Members  303WRX Points: 98Handicap: 5Posts: 303 Greens

Speaking of which, I haven't forgotten my invite to have you out to Lookout on day this summer. Hopefully the good weather arrives soon.

Posted:
  • flip flappyflip flappy Members  1007WRX Points: 191Posts: 1,007 Platinum Tees

I'm wondering the same thing Dalehead! Seriously though, he is like I should be more like, after a low score no matter what it looks like. My buddy has a great sense of humor and told me than when he remarried several years ago that his wife was watching him hit some balls in the yard and said that she didn't know much about golf but she was sure that his swing was not normal. I guess the funny part to me is a lot of us like to keep up with the new stuff coming out, even if we don't buy it. A lot of us are interested in doing our own club work. Others are interested in what is going on on the Tour. He couldn't care less about any of that stuff, never goes to the range, but is really into playing. Nothing wrong with that, I just like to soak up all things golf.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members  15472WRX Points: 3,615Posts: 15,472 Titanium Tees

In my group there is a non WRXer club ho and a non WRXer with a full bag of PXG clubs. I play with a bunch

of sorry non WRXers.😉

Posted:
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  867WRX Points: 259Handicap: 9Posts: 867 Golden Tee

As far as I know, I’m the only one at my club.

I played with a guy that joined the golf staff at my old club. He was an older guy, started working at the club just for the free golf. He did odd jobs around the club.

Anyway, he had the shortest backswing I’ve ever seen. Shorter than Finau’s or Rahm’s. And he played an old Callaway 3 wood. Very old. 35 years old I think. I can’t remember what model it was. Anyway, he hit that 3 wood farther than I hit mine, and mine at the time was pretty new, and although I’m no WRXer distance-wise, I can get it out there. This guy was a decent golfer. Probably a high single digit handicap. He wasn’t all that big, nor was he in great shape. I still have no idea how he hit that 3w so far.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • bonvivantvabonvivantva Members  226WRX Points: 35Handicap: 21.9Posts: 226 Fairways

I have a buddy that I know has read the forum before, but he never talks about it.

My dad is a low handicapper but he doesn't care much about the stuff that is discussed on here. I was talking about dynamic loft to him the other day and he looked at me like I was crazy. Even after I explained I was just talking about shaft lean for the most part, he still thought I was "overthinking" things, which at my skill level is probably not too far from the truth. I got him a fitting at club champion for his birthday, but before that he was gaming 7ish year old clubs.

I'm not personally good enough to get too far into the equipment aspect of things. My focus is and should be on mechanics. That said, I'm lusting for some hot metals. I'll get fitted and who knows what I'll end up with, but it's hard to read wrx and go.lfspy and not want a set of hot metals.

Posted:

Titleist R11s

Ping G2 3W

Ping G5 3H 19*

Mizuno JPX800

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

Advertisement
  • flip flappyflip flappy Members  1007WRX Points: 191Posts: 1,007 Platinum Tees

I have heard the "over thinking" phrase, towards me, from my buddy before. I might be but I do know that I have learned a lot on here. Just a few minutes ago he called me to tell me that he had got his "new R9" and that he tried it out. He was fading the ball and wanted to know what setting to move it to. I asked had he moved it to the same setting as his old driver and he hadn't thought about that. I walked him through how to change the setting and then he noticed that the shaft was shorter in the new driver. I then confused him talking about the swing weight changing with the shorter shaft and that he should probably just put his old shaft in for the time being. He was amazed that I knew this stuff, which is actually nothing compared to what most on here know. This site and the people on it are really amazing.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
  • msgmsg Members  403WRX Points: 97Handicap: 8Posts: 403 Greens

I am the only one but my buddies are club hos and golf club nerds more than myself.

Speaking of people who don't care about clubs. Last year I played with this 60 something guy. His golf clubs looks like something that you would see from the thrift store. Not blades but early 2000's equipment. And they were also dirty, like filthy. Well, he shot 3 over par and I was measuring his drives and he was hitting 250 yard draws all day.

Posted:
  • j.a.j.a. Members  1748WRX Points: 190Posts: 1,748 Platinum Tees

Yes, I’m the only one. There is a guy that knows about the site but never participated in forums.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mantanmantan Members  2670WRX Points: 249Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,670 Titanium Tees

I'm good friends with a WRXer that I met 15 years ago on the golf board and probably golfed 300 rounds with since. We met at a demo day and both were into the equipment. But the funny thing is that for all of his love of equipment, he plays the same irons (Tourstage Z101's), Mizuno wedges (bought a lot of the same model) and Scotty C. putter. He has updated his driver every 4-5 years. But for a WRX guy, he isn't big on buying a ton of gear.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 1/17/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G400 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.