2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

The only way to make this right for folks who think Tucan was wrong is for someone to set up a gofundme account.

Those on the high morale grounds should contribute.

I’ll stay on the sideline on principle(not cuz I’m cheap)

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to make this right for folks who think Tucan was wrong is for someone to set up a gofundme account.

I’ll stay on the sideline on principle(not cuz I’m cheap)

There is one Jere, somewhere in this thread there’s a link to it.

How so? was he paid less than the agreed amount? Of course not... This is all about feelings at this point

Of course not? According to Ortiz, there was no agreement apart from base pay.

And according to the tourney director and Kuchar there was...

I haven't seen the tournament director claiming that yet

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How so? was he paid less than the agreed amount? Of course not... This is all about feelings at this point

That explicitly contradicts the Kuchar quote where he referenced a bonus structure. It really seems there may have been problems in communication.

If you believe “according to Ortiz” doesn’t mean what others are telling us Ortiz believes, which is still a pretty valid issue. He didn’t write the emails, they always claim to relay his side of things but it’s second hand from folks with their own agendas. Good reasons to question whether anything lately attributed to Ortiz really is, IMO.

That explicitly contradicts the Kuchar quote where he referenced a bonus structure. It really seems there may have been problems in communication.

Clearly they are contradicting each other and someone is lying or the details got lost in translation. If Ortiz agreed on $4k even if Kuchar won before the tournament started, I don't think there would be nearly this much hate on Kuchar. I'd still think Kuchar was a little cheap for only offering that for a win, but I couldn't completely blame Matt for that.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Well...now we really do know what they were both thinking in this pic. Their faces definitely tell the story.

El Tucan -- S*@#T, Why didn't I make sure I got a decent percentage if he actually won the whole damn thing.

Kuch -- Thank goodness I didn't promise the full 10%, if I actually won the whole darn thing.

kuchar_1920_mayakoba18_el_tucan.jpg?itok=aRNbHmxq

If you believe “according to Ortiz” doesn’t mean what others are telling us Ortiz believes, which is still a pretty valid issue. He didn’t write the emails, they always claim to relay his side of things but it’s second hand from folks with their own agendas. Good reasons to question whether anything lately attributed to Ortiz really is, IMO.

I get the feeling with as last minute as this was he was probably excited to get the gig and just nodded and said yes. I really wonder if he had any idea what he was really agreeing to other than the $3,000 base.

If you believe "according to Ortiz" doesn't mean what others are telling us Ortiz believes, which is still a pretty valid issue. He didn't write the emails, they always claim to relay his side of things but it's second hand from folks with their own agendas. Good reasons to question whether anything lately attributed to Ortiz really is, IMO.

Michael Bamberger from golf.com had a phone interview with Ortiz through a translator https://www.golf.com/news/2019/02/12/they-can-keep-their-money-kuchars-fill-in-caddie-breaks-silence-over-pay-dispute/

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Well...now we really do know what they were both thinking in this pic. Their faces definitely tell the story.

El Tucan -- S*@#T, Why didn't I make sure I got a decent percentage if he actually won the whole damn thing.

Kuch -- Thank goodness I didn't promise the full 10%, if I actually won the whole darn thing.

Wonder if he got to keep the flag to remember Kuch by..

Clearly they are contradicting each other and someone is lying or the details got lost in translation. If Ortiz agreed on $4k even if Kuchar won before the tournament started, I don't think there would be nearly this much hate on Kuchar. I'd still think Kuchar was a little cheap for only offering that for a win, but I couldn't completely blame Matt for that.

Agree with all that. After 25+ years in a retail business where you’d better have everything spelled out in black and white, it’s very difficult for me to deal with situations where people then come back after the fact and want more. I’ve always been of the mindset that we made a deal, and a deal is a deal.

But I also understand where the group saying he grossly underpaid is coming from also. I can’t say I agree as vehemently as many do, but I understand the viewpoint.

I'll stay on the sideline on principle(not cuz I'm cheap)

Someone did https://www.gofundme.com/el-tucan

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

You of course can think kuchar was cheap, thats youre right.However, you cant say he didnt pay what was promised. the tourney director was intimately involved and probably never thought Kuch would win.He paid him a base of 3K and offered 1k bonus for a top 10. Ortiz should have taken the extra 15K he was offered...

It really sounds to me there was a bonus structure agreed to that probably ended with "and if I finish top 10, I will throw you another $1,000. It probably didn't go any further than that...nothing about top 5 and obviously nothing about a specific percentage of the winners check. Tucan probably thought at the time....sure, extra G for top 10 sounds good to me.

Then when Tucan saw the winners check, he probably figured -- Man, Kuch has to give e a little bonus based off cashing in on $1.3 mil. Tucan opens envelope and its an extra G on top of the agreed amount. Tucan prob thinks...well, he will probably send me more later with a big thank you basket. Kuch thinks...5,000 is a good payday for the little guy (kuch even says this now in the Golfchannel story). Tucan stews and stews, nothing ever comes. Stories in Nov. about a payday. More stewing and it finally hits social media and boom -- parties dig in and we have a media firestorm.

You of course can think kuchar was cheap, thats youre right.However, you cant say he didnt pay what was promised. the tourney director was intimately involved and probably never thought Kuch would win.He paid him a base of 3K and offered 1k bonus for a top 10. Ortiz should have taken the extra 15K he was offered...

I don't see how we can know for sure if someone is lying or if there was just miscommunication. I haven't seen the claim by the tournament director that he knew what the financial agreement was ahead of time to corroborate Kuchar's side. I know the tournament director set them up, but I have yet to see the specifics of their financial agreement corroborated by the director. Kuchar could be lying to help get out of his cheapness by claiming he overpaid their agreement. Tucan could be lying to try to get more money out of Kuchar.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It really sounds to me there was a bonus structure agreed to that probably ended with "and if I finish top 10, I will throw you another $1,000. It probably didn't go any further than that...nothing about top 5 and obviously nothing about a specific percentage of the winners check. Tucan probably thought at the time....sure, extra G for top 10 sounds good to me.

Then when Tucan saw the winners check, he probably figured -- Man, Kuch has to give e a little bonus based off cashing in on $1.3 mil. Tucan opens envelope and its an extra G on top of the agreed amount. Tucan prob thinks...well, he will probably send me more later with a big thank you basket. Kuch thinks...5,000 is a good payday for the little guy (kuch even says this now in the Golfchannel story). Tucan stews and stews, nothing ever comes. Stories in Nov. about a payday. More stewing and it finally hits social media and boom -- parties dig in and we have a media firestorm.

No, Kuchar took advantage of the guy.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Wonder if he got to keep the flag to remember Kuch by..

After Tucan fails to sell the flag for $15k, it will be on Ebay.

I don't see how we can know for sure if someone is lying or if there was just miscommunication. I haven't seen the claim by the tournament director that he knew what the financial agreement was ahead of time to corroborate Kuchar's side. I know the tournament director set them up, but I have yet to see the specifics of their financial agreement corroborated by the director. Kuchar could be lying to help get out of his cheapness by claiming he overpaid their agreement. Tucan could be lying to try to get more money out of Kuchar.

So the one thing we do know for sure......is because a pair of busy bodies (Gillis and plaid shorts guy) got involved, we have two long threads and a lot of people now don’t like Kuchar. And Tucan still didnt get $120,000 (or 50,000).

But like Sheldon’s (Big Bang Theory) mom said, we do have a lot of “righteous condemnation”.

So the one thing we do know for sure......is because a pair of busy bodies (Gillis and plaid shorts guy) got involved, we have two long threads and a lot of people now don’t like Kuchar. And Tucan still didnt get $120,000 (or 50,000).

But like Sheldon’s (Big Bang Theory) mom said, we do have a lot of “righteous condemnation”.

Do works of unrighteousness, get righteous condemnation

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Let's assume for argument's sake that there WAS an agreement for $4k max. At least in Kuchar's mind because maybe El Tucan didn't full comprehend it.

So what? Kuchar probably didn't make the agreement with the idea of winning in mind. He hadn't won in over 3 years.

Just because he might be able to get away with only paying $4-$5k total, doesn't mean it was the right thing or the common sense thing to do.

It's like if you're selling a painting that we both think is worth $100. I buy it from you. Then I find an unexpected autograph from the painter that was hidden under the canvas. That autograph makes the painting in fact worth $10,000. A decent person would say wow, let me give you another $1,000+ at least. A "different" kind of person would say, "sorry, a deal's a deal". And then there's Kuch, who would give you $20.

So it's finally done. We heard from both sides what they think. It's what I thought before and doesn't change after Kuchar spoke.

He's a cheap. That's it. Pack it in boys. Nothing much will change the script and the ending now. Unless we have El Tucan (what a great name, btw) have recording of the actual conversation.

So it's finally done. We heard from both sides what they think. It's what I thought before and doesn't change after Kuchar spoke.

He's a cheap. That's it. Pack it in boys. Nothing much will change the script and the ending now. Unless we have El Tucan (what a great name, btw) have recording of the actual conversation.

Larciel has spoken, let's all pack it up.

there is no doubt in my mind the IN THIS CASE Matt Kuchar behaved like a cheapskate and took advantage of the guy..

I also have no idea if this is his NORMAL behavior or not...

but FWIW...I hope he's regretting what he did..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60