2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Do you think Tiger will win another Major?

tgoodspe1991

> @bunter101 said:

> No, he doesn't have three days of his best and a Sunday of doing enough in him anymore. Add in his putting isn't half what it was in his pomp.

Bunter!

Yeah but somehow he is playing well enough to be #12 in the world. I think if he gets 3 good, relatively healthy, seasons in, he has a good shot.

> @c7015 said:

> I want it too much but will remain cautiously optimistic .... How could you say no given his current form though

To me the answer to that is DJ. If someone with the talent of DJ can be at the top of the game for a decade and only win 1 then basically any other golfer can go that length of time without winning any. He's got a game that would work anywhere too; Tiger's game is limited to certain venues at this point and his window is small. I don't think the odd of him winning are minuscule but it's well less than 50/50 for me.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @c7015 said:

> > I want it too much but will remain cautiously optimistic .... How could you say no given his current form though

>

> To me the answer to that is DJ. If someone with the talent of DJ can be at the top of the game for a decade and only win 1 then basically any other golfer can go that length of time without winning any. He's got a game that would work anywhere too; Tiger's game is limited to certain venues at this point and his window is small. I don't think the odd of him winning are minuscule but it's well less than 50/50 for me.

I'd agree with the DJ comment, in fact, there are a lot of guys who gush with talent and for some reason, don't win more (obviously cause golf is hard) so it's not a given.

"Tiger's game is limited to certain venues" I would disagree with this to the point that all golfers are limited to certain venues to some extent, Tiger is not one I would say that because he has more shots than most players... Does he have less of a chance at a bomb and gouge these days yes.... but his ball control and diversity of shots are what makes me think he has more opportunity than others as his game can work at so many venues.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Can Tiger ever even return to professional golf? Can Tiger break into the Top 500? Can Tiger break into the Top 100? Can Tiger break into the Top 50? Can Tiger be in the hunt in a major on a Sunday? Can Tiger win on tour again?

All things I've heard or seen posted in the past two years.

Don't bet against the Tiger. Tiger is still mentally as tough as anyone out there and that matters.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

> @Moo said:

> Can Tiger ever even return to professional golf? Can Tiger break into the Top 500? Can Tiger break into the Top 100? Can Tiger break into the Top 50? Can Tiger be in the hunt in a major on a Sunday? Can Tiger win on tour again?

> All things I've heard or seen posted in the past two years.

> Don't bet against the Tiger. Tiger is still mentally as tough as anyone out there and that matters.

This is awesome. The mention of Spieth, is that irony?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-is-totally-complet

Tiger Woods is totally, completely, unequivocally, and utterly done

by Shane Ryan

July 17, 2015

There will never be another moment, from now until the sun burns up the earth and our future descendants run around screaming as they burn to ashes, when Tiger Woods will be a good golfer again. Long after our planet is gone, and the black holes consume our universe and existence as we know it is devoured in the expanding void and all meaning is lost to anti-matter, it will still be true that Tiger Woods was never a good golfer after 2013. Assuming time is a linear structure, Tiger Woods has ceased to be capable of golfing excellence, and will forevermore be done.

I would like to point out that there are many golfers who are not done. Jordan Spieth, age 21 and winner of back-to-back majors, is not done. Rickie Fowler is not done. Rory McIlroy is injured, but almost certainly not done. I just watched Hideki Matsuyama make seven birdies in ten holes. Based on that evidence, I'm ready to state that he, too, is not done. There are many others I could list who are young and great and not done, but I won't do that. You can look them up on the Internet.

Tiger Woods, though? Done.

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Moo said:

> > Can Tiger ever even return to professional golf? Can Tiger break into the Top 500? Can Tiger break into the Top 100? Can Tiger break into the Top 50? Can Tiger be in the hunt in a major on a Sunday? Can Tiger win on tour again?

> > All things I've heard or seen posted in the past two years.

> > Don't bet against the Tiger. Tiger is still mentally as tough as anyone out there and that matters.

>

> This is awesome. The mention of Spieth, is that irony?

>

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-is-totally-complet

>

> Tiger Woods is totally, completely, unequivocally, and utterly done

> by Shane Ryan

> July 17, 2015

>

> There will never be another moment, from now until the sun burns up the earth and our future descendants run around screaming as they burn to ashes, when Tiger Woods will be a good golfer again. Long after our planet is gone, and the black holes consume our universe and existence as we know it is devoured in the expanding void and all meaning is lost to anti-matter, it will still be true that Tiger Woods was never a good golfer after 2013. Assuming time is a linear structure, Tiger Woods has ceased to be capable of golfing excellence, and will forevermore be done.

>

> I would like to point out that there are many golfers who are not done. Jordan Spieth, age 21 and winner of back-to-back majors, is not done. Rickie Fowler is not done. Rory McIlroy is injured, but almost certainly not done. I just watched Hideki Matsuyama make seven birdies in ten holes. Based on that evidence, I'm ready to state that he, too, is not done. There are many others I could list who are young and great and not done, but I won't do that. You can look them up on the Internet.

>

> Tiger Woods, though? Done.

>

How does Mr. Ryan prefer his crow...well...done?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @cdnglf said:

> > @3jacker said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > **Could? Of course. **

> > > Will? Probably not. He's the tenth best player in the world, and 43 years old. Not enough legit chances left.

> >

> > So.. what, only the top 4 have a chance? 5? 10 is too far down the list?

>

> Everyone has a chance. But "no" is much more likely than "yes" for someone who is 10th in the world, 43, and injury-prone.

>

"No" is much more likely than "yes" for no. 1 in the world.

Count me in for the Els/Allenby showdown.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @Vindog said:

> Tough vote. I think he CAN, but I don't think he WILL. Honestly though, He's got as good a chance as anyone in the that OWGR bracket. Imo his best chances are as follows.

>

>

> Masters - just by sheer knowledge of the course. The problem might be his short game and putting.

>

>

> Open Championship - Weather can play a factor and if he can get on a venue that takes driver out of his hands the that bodes well. The problem with The Open is that it can also be a very grueling affair both physically and mentally, and I might wonder about his stamina.

>

>

> As for the other two Majors, he'll be going up against longer hitters, better irons players, and better putters on courses that might not level the field for him in those regards. Can he win another one? Sure. Will he? I don't think he will

I think you're on the fence.

I'm going with No he won't, unless he can learn to keep his driver in the fairway. While all exciting to have Tiger playing again, it's clear he's not as intimidating other players as he once was, and he doesn't have the short game he used to.

And he's never going to catch Jack's major record, never ever.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

My concern with Tiger is will the putter be there for four days. When the putter is right the rest is there more or less. The short putts he missed at the match play make you wonder. There was a time when those were never missed especially as the pressure ratcheted up. The one thing he has that a lot don't is the ability to win. They all have the game but they don't all have the ability to win.

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Moo said:

> > Can Tiger ever even return to professional golf? Can Tiger break into the Top 500? Can Tiger break into the Top 100? Can Tiger break into the Top 50? Can Tiger be in the hunt in a major on a Sunday? Can Tiger win on tour again?

> > All things I've heard or seen posted in the past two years.

> > Don't bet against the Tiger. Tiger is still mentally as tough as anyone out there and that matters.

>

> This is awesome. The mention of Spieth, is that irony?

>

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-is-totally-complet

>

> Tiger Woods is totally, completely, unequivocally, and utterly done

> by Shane Ryan

> July 17, 2015

>

> There will never be another moment, from now until the sun burns up the earth and our future descendants run around screaming as they burn to ashes, when Tiger Woods will be a good golfer again. Long after our planet is gone, and the black holes consume our universe and existence as we know it is devoured in the expanding void and all meaning is lost to anti-matter, it will still be true that Tiger Woods was never a good golfer after 2013. Assuming time is a linear structure, Tiger Woods has ceased to be capable of golfing excellence, and will forevermore be done.

>

> I would like to point out that there are many golfers who are not done. Jordan Spieth, age 21 and winner of back-to-back majors, is not done. Rickie Fowler is not done. Rory McIlroy is injured, but almost certainly not done. I just watched Hideki Matsuyama make seven birdies in ten holes. Based on that evidence, I'm ready to state that he, too, is not done. There are many others I could list who are young and great and not done, but I won't do that. You can look them up on the Internet.

>

> Tiger Woods, though? Done.

>

Shane Ryan. Go stick your head in a microwave. That’s literally the meanest , most ignorant , misguided and spiteful article on any subject I’ve ever read. If I m his peer I bring it up every time I see him for the rest of our lives. That’s how bad it is.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @3jacker said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @3jacker said:

> > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > **Could? Of course. **

> > > > Will? Probably not. He's the tenth best player in the world, and 43 years old. Not enough legit chances left.

> > >

> > > So.. what, only the top 4 have a chance? 5? 10 is too far down the list?

> >

> > Everyone has a chance. But "no" is much more likely than "yes" for someone who is 10th in the world, 43, and injury-prone.

> >

>

> "No" is much more likely than "yes" for no. 1 in the world.

>

> Count me in for the Els/Allenby showdown.

So you're saying "no" is much, much, much more likely than "yes" for Tiger?

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @c7015 said:

> > I want it too much but will remain cautiously optimistic .... How could you say no given his current form though

>

> To me the answer to that is DJ. If someone with the talent of DJ can be at the top of the game for a decade and only win 1 then basically any other golfer can go that length of time without winning any. He's got a game that would work anywhere too; Tiger's game is limited to certain venues at this point and his window is small. I don't think the odd of him winning are minuscule but it's well less than 50/50 for me.

> @HitEmTrue said:

> > @3jacker said:

> >

> > "No" is much more likely than "yes" for no. 1 in the world.

> >

> > Count me in for the Els/Allenby showdown.

>

> That's true if the question is whether a specific person will win the NEXT major. But will Rose, (or DJ?), win another major...greater or less than 50% chance?

>

>

I would answer that with the idea that if Rose and DJ both win events about 5% of the time(I am pulling the number out of thin air so please don't research and tell me it's 8% lol) then they will likely win about 13% of the majors in the next eight years or so. So 32 majors x 16% the odds are decent that they will combine for 3 more majors. Could be 3 to one guy or 2 to 1. But even that is just statistical probability, not a forecast. In sports who know??

To answer your question it is over 50% chance for both that they win another major. But I would not bet the house on either.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @freeze16172002 said:

> he is ranked 12th in the world and could limp to a top 10 around augusta.

Unfortunately there is a big difference between a top 10 and a win. One off day, which he seems to have one of each round lately.

But it’s certainly well within the realm of possibility and it wouldn’t shock me if he did win one.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > @freeze16172002 said:

> > he is ranked 12th in the world and could limp to a top 10 around augusta.

>

> Unfortunately there is a big difference between a top 10 and a win. One off day, which he seems to have one of each round lately.

>

> But it’s certainly well within the realm of possibility and it wouldn’t shock me if he did win one.

I would love for him to have his own jack in 86 moment. He doesnt have the edge on the field he used to have so his margin for error is way way smaller now. it would be a great story for sure and am rooting for him to do it.I just dont know if he will. As it stands its been 14 years since his last masters, 13 years since his last open and pga championship and finally 11 years since his last major the 08 US Open which required a careers worth of 40+ footers and a ton of painkillers to win. Im legit torn in what to believe. Can he? Absolutely, will he? i dont know. I would love to see him and phil grab one more each. Im on the fence because in the 2 majors he contended in last year he collapsed in the biggest moments when the pressure came but he was also chasing. If he gets at least a share of a 54 hole lead I wouldnt bet against him. Look at this past sunday with Conners. When its your time its your time. If he doesnt win one this year but stays healthy and contends at one or 2 like he did last year i will definitely believe he can do it moving forward.its a question of venue and and getting on the right side of draws going into the weekend. His mind can carry him when his swing isnt there. lets see how he does at the masters this week. Cant wait to see how he performs!

This is not the most pressing question in my mind. Instead it's how many more years he can go winless in the majors before fans come to the realization that it's not going to happen?

He's 43. He's had back fusion. His putting has deteriorated to the point in which he's now just a slightly below average Tour pro on the greens. By his own admission he can't practice or play as much as he'd like. Only 4% of the major winners the past 60 years have been age 43 or older. Should I go on?

Let's look at the venues this year. Because I think even a die-hard Tiger pom pom waver would admit that, with each passing year, his chances diminish. At Augusta he hasn't won in 14 years. At Bethpage he hasn't won in 17 years. As far we know he's never played Portrush. And at Pebble he hasn't won in 19 years. Come on folks, let's get real about his chances.

If he can win the Tour Championship during the exhausting FedEx playoffs, he most certainly still has it in him to win another major. The "Greats" always seem to have it in them to figure out how to find that magic one more time. It's still just a big "CAN WIN" from me, not a "WILL WIN."

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Seems like a lot of the responses in the affirmative run along the lines of "well he's done it in the past, so he can do it in the future." And that would be an appropriate response...in 2007.

I just don't think golf fans in general and Tiger fans in particular appreciate how much age affects professional athletes. At this point in his career Tiger is Michael Jordan in a Wizards uniform. The average age of major champions since 1960 is 32. It's EXTREMELY unlikely any pro golfer 43 or older wins a major championship, whether his name is Tiger Woods or not.