2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brooks or Rory?

J13

Rory has had a better career than Brooks. Brooks has been much better in recent years. However, just look to the careers of Rory, Spieth, etc. to see that recent success does nothing to stop a career from going cold for several years.

I believe Rory is a better all around ballstriker than Brooks. They're both mediocre putters by Tour standard. But it seems that Brooks has a much stronger mental game than Rory.

Ever since Rory got the $200M deal from Nike he just seems like he lost that killer instinct.

There is no better pound for pound player than Rory. He's 5'9" and is a hell of a ball striker in the top half of the bag. Brooks has to take the cake though but also has been given more "Naturally" than Rory. He was born with athleticism that you can't really alter. (Height, Bone structure) Mentally he's tougher and I think this translates in the putter. In order to putt well you have to believe that you are gonna putt well. Rory should also make moves back to that honey dipped Scotty. It's really to early to give a definitive opinion one way or another. If Rory gets the short irons working and some shade of a putter it'll be a hell of an interesting couple decades.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> Rory has had a better career than Brooks. Brooks has been much better in recent years. However, just look to the careers of Rory, Spieth, etc. to see that recent success does nothing to stop a career from going cold for several years.

>

> I believe Rory is a better all around ballstriker than Brooks. They're both mediocre putters by Tour standard. But it seems that Brooks has a much stronger mental game than Rory.

>

> Ever since Rory got the $200M deal from Nike he just seems like he lost that killer instinct.

Since that deal, Rory has won 9 times on Tour, including a Fedex Cup and two majors. In 106 events, he has placed inside the top 10 and top 25 50% and 70% of the time, respectively.

> @Pent08 said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > Rory has had a better career than Brooks. Brooks has been much better in recent years. However, just look to the careers of Rory, Spieth, etc. to see that recent success does nothing to stop a career from going cold for several years.

> >

> > I believe Rory is a better all around ballstriker than Brooks. They're both mediocre putters by Tour standard. But it seems that Brooks has a much stronger mental game than Rory.

> >

> > Ever since Rory got the $200M deal from Nike he just seems like he lost that killer instinct.

> Since that deal, Rory has won 9 times on Tour, including a Fedex Cup and two majors. In 106 events, he has placed inside the top 10 and top 25 50% and 70% of the time, respectively.

I stand corrected!

> @cdnglf said:

> > @ChillyDipper said:

> > I think when Brooks said that he only had a few guys to beat in a Major, he was thinking Rory wasn't one of those guys.

>

> You really think he’s that dumb? That isn’t very nice.

>

I wonder if her meant the same few guys every major?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Rory +1

Hes dealt with more fame and fortune and i can only imagine that takes its toll, christ how many of us play good golf when your minds not on it at the weekend. Although both are superstars, they are both human and Rory has arguably endured more dips than BK has at this point in careers.

Both great players , Rory imo more naturally gifted and has better swing, BK the athlete getting the best out of himself.

Can make cases about each mans individual traits mental strength etc but for me Rory is more consistent, when on his A game unbelievable and will when Father time catches up on them both have had the better career.

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

So who will finish 2nd at Pebble? Rory or Brooks?

My picks

1. Tiger for the win

2. Brooks

3. DJ

4. Xander

5. Rory (Rory will be out of the tourney but then Sunday, shoot a 64 to sneak into the top 5

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Currently Rory has the higher winning percentage. 9% for Rory, and Koepka is 4.5%. There, how much longer Rory has been playing than Koepka doesn't matter. Rory wins a higher percentage.

However.......

Both have 4 majors. Brooks has made the cut in 20 of the 22 majors he has competed in(91%). Rory has made 34 of 42(81%). Obviously Koepka's winning percentage is high in majors. 36% for Koepka and almost 10% for Rory.

I take Brooks for the future, at the end of their careers(barring non golf related career ending issue) Brooks has the better career(if you rate each major being worth 5 regular tour events). I don't think any major winner would give up a major for 5 regular events, but it seems to be the number most talked about. Rory started off faster and younger and doing more early, and Brooks took awhile to get up to speed.

Who wins Pebble?

Phil or Tiger and mainly sentimental reasons. Tiger to continue the comeback and Phil to get the career grand slam that a horrible setup at Shinnecock the first time cost him.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Something has to be said for being in the top 10 virtually every time you tee it up. I know it’s “all about the majors”, but it’s really not. Brooks doesn’t compete week to week like Rors, and his red hot putting will not sustain for much longer. It will be interesting to see how Brooks handles it when he eventually starts struggling and misses some cuts.

To me Koepka. He's a solid closer.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @Shades234 said:

> > @"Righty to Lefty" said:

> > > @Shades234 said:

> > > Rory by a million.

> >

> > A million? Didn't he get 200 and something million from Nike while Brooks doesn't even have a club deal ?!! I'll take Rory but Brooks is a beast though !!

> >

>

> Rory by 250 million.

Yeah Rory hit the post Tiger train, as the next Tiger. People realized that it's not happening that easily so Brooks isn't getting the same kind of deal (he also isn't very charismatic).

> @hyperionives said:

> So I would say, if Brooks wrist holds up, then he will end up with more wins/majors than Rory. Brooks has a better overall swing, and while putting does appear to be the real Achilles heel for him, it still holds up when it needs too. I would say the risk to Brooks is if he ever lets go of that chip on his shoulder. Brooks is certainly a superior iron player and scrambler. Rory's driving is nuts but he is borderline stuck and he has become too flat in the BS which is why he is looking to get a steeper body so he does not swing excessively out to the right. If he figures that out, along with the putting, he will still be driving it well and his irons will definitely improve so the match up become tougher but I still think Brooks wins that match up and ultimately ends with a more successful career.

I've seen that in Rory's driving. I mean he drives it great, but his flatter plane I think is because of his height. It's not really a fault I think. But his body is a lot more upright and sometimes I can't tell if he's early extending (which I don't think he is). Brooks is much taller, and more consistent in his swing. Sometimes I just feel like Rory swings it so hard, it's hard to be consistent to top tier standard.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @imakaveli said:

> They both don't > @J13 said:

> > So who will finish 2nd at Pebble? Rory or Brooks?

> > My picks

> > 1. Tiger for the win

> > 2. Brooks

> > 3. DJ

> > 4. Xander

> > 5. Rory (Rory will be out of the tourney but then Sunday, shoot a 64 to sneak into the top 5

>

> Rory will miss the cut

That's quite likely to happen at Pebble.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

> @aliikane said:

> For golf swings, Rory for sure. Rory for his height hits it further than anyone on tour and when he is on his ball striking is one of the top guys. For mental game, Koepka is proving to maintain his cool better. If Rory can keep his cool better, he will be winning again. Right now, Koepka is playing the best.

I hear the pound for pound thing often but that's irrelevant. You don't get any bonus points for being taller or shorter on tour. Driver is driver doesn't matter who's swinging it.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> > @aliikane said:

> > For golf swings, Rory for sure. Rory for his height hits it further than anyone on tour and when he is on his ball striking is one of the top guys. For mental game, Koepka is proving to maintain his cool better. If Rory can keep his cool better, he will be winning again. Right now, Koepka is playing the best.

>

> I hear the pound for pound thing often but that's irrelevant. You don't get any bonus points for being taller or shorter on tour. Driver is driver doesn't matter who's swinging it.

I don't agree with the pound for pound because I don't think weight is a major factor on distance. However, height definitely is a big advantage for distance if everything else is the same (muscle strength, speed, etc).

For example, why do you choke down on a club to take yardage off? Smaller arc. Smaller arc generates slower clubhead speed with the same swing. Taller guys have a much larger arc (longer arms) which equates to more clubhead speed. Anytime you have the center point spinning at same rate but increase the arc the rotational speed increases. Another example is a merry-go-round. The further you stand toward the outside of the center of the merry-go-round the faster the speed you are going. Basic physics.

Shorter guys have to have better technique to generate similar clubhead speed because they are at a disadvantage with a smaller arc than the tall guys. It is physics.

I think rory demonstrated today that it isnt a matter of talent. I do believe that when he is "on," he is actually substantially more talented than any other tour player except for Tiger (injuries not withstanding). From a pure talent perspective, I'd imagine he is one of the 4 or 5 best ever. My contention has always been that I dont know if he cares if he is on or not. He doesn't seem to have that grit and grind attitude tiger has, or some of the other great players that could be having a bad day and still card a 70. However, a motivated and locked in Rory to me is a better player than Brooks in almost every way.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

It’s brooks alll day everyday. Rory plays like the 5 handicap who once every 4-5 years shoots 69 He made more putts today than he has in the last 6 weeks. He’s great. But if tiger was on the final group today what does he shoot ? We know what brooks will do on that scenario. And I’m not a brooks fan.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @imakaveli said:

> They both don't > @J13 said:

> > So who will finish 2nd at Pebble? Rory or Brooks?

> > My picks

> > 1. Tiger for the win

> > 2. Brooks

> > 3. DJ

> > 4. Xander

> > 5. Rory (Rory will be out of the tourney but then Sunday, shoot a 64 to sneak into the top 5

>

> Rory will miss the cut

That may well happen if the wind comes up, or if he gets the wrong end of the draw.

But it sure was fun to watch his performance this afternoon.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @bladehunter said:

> It’s brooks alll day everyday. Rory plays like the 5 handicap who once every 4-5 years shoots 69 He made more putts today than he has in the last 6 weeks. He’s great. But if tiger was on the final group today what does he shoot ? We know what brooks will do on that scenario. And I’m not a brooks fan.

a5gg3m83mz3c.gif

Irrational

Rory

Slagging