2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Vokey SM8

deep18

This goes to show how wedges are so unique to the player - M grind's poor sand performance for me is mainly what drove me away from it in the 60 spot. On the flip side, I feel like the D grind is cheating out of the bunker.

We can agree though that the D grind is great, it has been my best equipment "find" in a long time. It's been a huge plus for me in the soft conditions we experience in Chicagoland, particularly early in the year.

Has anyone tried asking Wedgeworks to custom grind them a V-Grind? Seems like it would be possible to do.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

... After playing the EGG grind from Scratch for many years, I started playing the M Grind here in Chicago. Not the best in the Spring when it is so wet with thick rough around the greens OR when the tight lies are very soft from water run off and moving it forward and using the bounce helps get thru the soggy ground without digging. I switched to the D Grind and absolutely loved it. Took it to Phoenix and it was basically worthless, especially out of bunkers with little to no sand and the tight hard lies around greens so I bought another M Grind. I also find the M Grind works better if we get drought conditions here in Chicago late in the summer and fall, so I keep both on hand with the same specs. Normal to lush conditions I am playing D, but dry and hard I am playing M.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Couldn't agree more with this assessment. I loved the M-grind, but in the conditions I play in 98% of the time it just lacks forgiveness the D-grind offers. I felt I had to make perfect contact for it to be useful. I also found even when opened, it digs readily in bunkers. Haven't yet taken it to Scottsdale or had it out in hardpan/drought conditions here in the Midwest, but for now I've found the perfect 60 in the D-grind. Frankly, those conditions are so rare in the Midwest I can use another lower bounce wedge for those rare shots. Keep the D-grind in bag for the bunker forgiveness.

After reading your comment however, I will definitely be keeping the M-grind around for future Scottsdale and Florida trips where the ground is much more firm around the greens.

• Like 1

Played jet black SM7s and liked them but liked the newer more matte look for tour chrome in SM8 so bought those. Liked them until I was blinded for the first time ever with a wedge and that was enough of those for me. The tour chrome also look larger at address than the jet black for some reason. Going to put in a new order for jet black SM8s. Set with the 50.12 F grind I really like that. Tried 54.14 F but that's getting replaced by a 54.10 S because the F grind was horrible for anything inside of 50 yards for me. Had the 54.10 S SM7 and liked the versatility around the greens and it was good with full shots too. Lob wedge is still up in the air I can't seem to find a grind that I've liked and tried K, D, and S. 60 deg D grind bent 2 strong down to 10 deg bounce might be what I try out next as I think that would work well for me. Side note tried PX 6.5 shafts soft stepped in my wedges and it was okay in the 50 deg but I hated for the 54 and 58. Going back to S400 54 and 58 and straight in PX 6.5 50 deg. Hopefully I don't have to wait a month for these to come in since I'm not getting them stamped or grinded down.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

My SM8's were ordered on April 30th and still haven't received. I did get S400 Onyx shafts...I wonder if that is the delay. No worries as I still love my SM7's and plan to play them through the summer. These were a lockdown purchase :)

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

It's a little bit embarrassing overkill for a hack like me but I carry a SM7 60.12D and a 58.04L grind, of all combinations. The 58L is (for me) a surprisingly good all-around wedge because I play my full swings with the face opened a bit. But in soft sand it's just a no-go, no amount of opening the face will keep it from digging.

Our bunkers range from near-hardpan at times to soft and fluffy at others. Sometimes even a mix within the same round. The packed sand requires the 58L and the normal to fluffy stuff demands the 60D. Of course those are mostly when short-sided. For longer bunker shots my 54.12F seems to work fine whether the sand is hard or soft.

At the moment I only have 14 clubs even including the two-lob-wedge thing. At times when I've had one less slot available I leave out the 60D and just hit shorter bunker shots from fluffy sand with a wide-open 54F.

It's an enduring mystery to me why this L-grind wedge is even usable. Much less being my favorite wedge. It just ought not to work for my dodgy swing. I have it bent 2 degrees flat and 1 degree weak so it's really a 59.05L in effect. I think it has to do with the fact I almost never have any forward shaft lean, either at address or at impact. I used to lean it so far forward (trying to nip the leading edge under the ball) that my swing coach suggested I go to a more neutral setup similar to my full swing.

When I wear out the SM7's and need to go with SM8's it's going to be a bummer they don't have 58.04L any longer.

Vokey seems to be abandoning the low bounce wedge configurations. Good low bounce options have been hard to find lately and now become even more difficult. I am transitioning to Jim Kronus wedges. They are a nice forged wedge that feels great and Jim will grind it how you want it. Since he starts at 8° of bounce stock, getting to 5° or 6° is very doable. My current 54° is a JK and my next 58° will likely be a JK as well.

Cleveland also discontinued their X-low 3* bounce wedge with their Zipcore rollout. From the spy "Our sole grinds have always been Tour-driven, but X-Low was too low even for the Tour guys,” says Schielke. “And if it’s too low bounced for them, then it’s way too low bounced for the rest of us.”  Even the pros want bounce.

Also a big fan of the D grind, but I prefer it in the sand wedge slot. Glad Vokey expanded the D options with SM8. D grind at 56* and M grind at 60* gives me a higher and lower bounce option to play a variety of shots. Has worked pretty well so far

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Selected the Vokey SM8 56.12 D Grind to replace my SM7 Wedgeworks 54K grind and my SM7 58.12 D grind. After only 4 rounds went back to the SM7's as they feel softer. I found the 56 made a "tinny" sound and the face felt dull and no feedback on where on the face I hit the ball. In their quest to produce a more forgiving wedge they lost the feel. Good news is that I can pick up some new SM7's at a steep discount.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

I have the L grind at 4 degrees and use it for 90% of shots around the green. The new T grind sounds interesting in maybe a 58

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I ordered on April. 28th and am still waiting for my custom order. I'm wondering if the Tour Issue Onyx shafts might be the issue. Will contact DD in a few days if I haven't heard anything by then.

Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Turn around on orders is 2-3 weeks. So you either have a component that isn't available, or it's been lost in the shuffle. You should follow up for sure.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

DD confirmed it was the black onyx S400. Switched to chrome S400s and they should be out in 7-10 days.

Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Can anyone comment on the D grind vs F grind for 54 or 56? I'm probably guilty of just pulling out my 60 now for any and all pitches whereas I feel like a lower loft is better. I'd rather my SW be the work horse and the 60 be for bunkers and specialty shots. Will the F grind still provide that flexibility? Reason I ask is I'm considering going with SM7s due to the cost and delay but there is no D grind in the SW.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

IMO d grind trumps the f grind in sand wedge. Way more versatile. I game it in both 54 and 60.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

You should also look at the S Grind in the SW spot. It's an F grind with more versatility. Great on full shots but still can be manipulated slightly with the trailing edge relief, I love it.

D grind is awesome and love it in my 60 spot, but always good to have some different grinds in the bag between the SW and LW in my opinion.

S grind is fantastic. Plenty of meat in that grind to be great from the sand, but it's much better at full SW shots than something like an M grind. IMO, the F grind isn't very versatile and it's really better suited for a PW or GW and used for mostly full swings.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I also think the S Grind is overlooked. Has been an absolute game changer for me once I got fit into the S Grind with the SM7s. I'm an S Grindr for life now :)

Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I used the S in 54 and 58. For years, I chased wedges with a M like grind including two SM5's in 54/58 M grind, followed by Cally's in C, X grinds. But when the SM7's came out, I wanted the Jet Black color and got fit at a location that had a outdoor short game area. I didn't expect the S grind to be the fit, but I knew at the first shot it was the one. I could feel the bounce working for the first time.....game changer.

Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Love the 54K. My go-to around the green.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White 
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White 
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Bridgestone Tour BX

I had an SM5 62T. That had 7* bounce on it, but played like it had less. It was a great wedge, and I wondered why the T grind got dropped. Good to see it available again.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback