Ping i59

johngalt312

7 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Curious if others see big differences in the photos that Minarets posted above.  I really don't except that the Srixon does look a bit chunkier in the top line.  

I'd love to see a side-by-side between the i59 and the Blueprint. 

I hit the demo 7 iron today, alongside my Z785.  The i59 is noticeably smaller.  Look a little closer at the picture.. the toes are equal, but the hosel of the 785 is well below the i59.  If I hadn't compared them in person, I'd have looked at that picture and thought they were the same size.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

7 minutes ago, bevans0222 said:

I compared the i59 demo to a Blueprint 7i this afternoon.  They are really similar in size, and are going to blend well.  

I can only get so erect.

• Like 3

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

12 hours ago, bevans0222 said:

I hit the demo 7 iron today, alongside my Z785.  The i59 is noticeably smaller.  Look a little closer at the picture.. the toes are equal, but the hosel of the 785 is well below the i59.  If I hadn't compared them in person, I'd have looked at that picture and thought they were the same size.

Any further thoughts...haven't seen much direct comparison to Srixon.  Do you go all the way back to Z745 with Srixon?

1 minute ago, m_w said:

None of the reviews have been particularly raving so far

What's Shiel's 'cap? 12?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

42 minutes ago, Tdsjfb said:

What's Shiel's 'cap? 12?

Pretty sure its not 12 but thats not my point - none of the reviews i've seen are raving about the i59. They all compliment the looks, they are all excited to hit it but no one is particularly impressed by the performance or forgiveness from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, m_w said:

Pretty sure its not 12 but thats not my point - none of the reviews i've seen are raving about the i59. They all compliment the looks, they are all excited to hit it but no one is particularly impressed by the performance or forgiveness from what I've seen.

Hit it in a fitting a couple of weeks ago. Hard no. Feels awful, is not forgiving and middled shots at best came up with the low end of t100 and zx7

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

I hit the demo with two different steel shafts.....it seemed to feel better with the 105 gram then the 120 gram...not sure if the fitting head has some added weight or something..but it just doesn't feel "soft" to me. I am going to try the graphite option to see if helps. I was expecting more with all the hype, and looks wise it is terrific. Just not the forged feeling that I would like. Maybe graphite will change that 

I hate to say this and I’m a huge Ping fan. But I don’t think all the anticipation was worth it this year for Ping. I feel like Ping is trying to set themselves up for a continuous improvement product cycle by focusing on moi on these releases. 

I played iblades for a long time, and they were great. Love em. Off subject but, I had the g425 max to start the year, but it just didn’t do it for me out in the wild. It was straight as heck though. Not gonna take that chance on these irons especially fairway wood pricing per head. 

If I went back to Ping today, it would be for iblades and the g400 lst.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisLC40 said:

It honestly seems like people are so disgusted with the price that they're finding the most ridiculous criticisms they can just to say something negative. Did Ping design these irons to everyone's cup of tea? Nope. Do they care? Most likely not. Are they the best irons on the market? Nope. That's why there are other OEM's to choose from. They're not the longest, most amazing feeling or most forgiving. They're not supposed to be, especially when feel and forgiveness are subjective.

I don't see how I won't be ordering a set. They're pretty spectacular.

Yeah, I don't think it's that they "outperform" every other iron ever made that makes them special. It's that they perform equally as well as all those others I mentioned while looking so much smaller, cleaner, tighter, etc., than all the others it performs like.  I have played muscle backs in the past because I loved so much how they looked behind the ball, but I eventually had to put my ego aside and get something with a larger, more forgiving face, because I just wasn't making consistent enough center contact with the blades to be able to play them, and mishits really suffered and were quite penalizing. It's almost as if the i59 allows me to blades again, while not really being good enough to hit the center every time, and I just got giddy writing that sentence. That's what I think the revolutionary technology is in these.

At the same time, you're right, other OEMs are basically doing the same thing. I mean the T100 and Apex TCB and P7MC (and I'm sure P770) were not far behind the i59 in looks (for me), and I could see how others could even prefer the looks of those others (although they did seem a bit thicker, more rounded than the i59). And it did seem to me, again, from my naked eye and ear, that they all performed essentially identically. So everyone is doing awesome things now, but I just happen to be over-the-moon about the looks of the i59. I am also a bit of a Ping fanboy, too, full disclosure...

• Like 4

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

My experience with players category isn't deep thanks to being left handed. The i59's however are the most consistent, best looking and they don't frighten me when set behind the ball. I play to a 10, and thanks to my swing characteristics I generally do better with narrower sole clubs. I experimented a little this summer with a set of G425 irons against my i210s and club for club the distances were basically the same. Put the i59 against my i210 and I picked up a couple yards on average and dispersion tightened up. I'm not chasing distance, only accuracy. 

I've become a Ping fanboy too. I used to think they were ridiculous because my uncle wouldn't shut up about them. Then I started playing them.

• Like 3

Signature!

Taking price out of the equation, the pros are looks ,traditional lofts, and tech. The cons are really just expectation of feel. To me my i210s "feel" softer. Not that they feel hard at all, but my expectation would have been a softer feel. Heck the gen 1 pxgs really felt softer then these to be honest

1 hour ago, ChrisLC40 said:

My experience with players category isn't deep thanks to being left handed. The i59's however are the most consistent, best looking and they don't frighten me when set behind the ball. I play to a 10, and thanks to my swing characteristics I generally do better with narrower sole clubs. I experimented a little this summer with a set of G425 irons against my i210s and club for club the distances were basically the same. Put the i59 against my i210 and I picked up a couple yards on average and dispersion tightened up. I'm not chasing distance, only accuracy. 

I've become a Ping fanboy too. I used to think they were ridiculous because my uncle wouldn't shut up about them. Then I started playing them.

Ahh, so you actually gained distance with i59 over the i210? I am interested to see what Trackman tells me when I compare to my i200s next week.

Edited by bobbyclampett!!

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

😂 This thread 

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X

I found a lefty head and got to hit it. I LOVE the feel of it. It feels very solid even on mishits. Everything wants to go straight. The distance just wasn't there for me, the T100 was a club longer. The salesperson was hanging over my shoulder plus the size of the head made me a little hesitant to rip through it. I was probably guiding it more than I was swinging it. Thinking about the 5 & 6 irons made me think I wouldn't be able to handle them. Take everything about this and put it into a bigger head.

Got to hit the demo 7 iron. These look great, no complaints about anything in the looks. They are premium for sure, IMO. The grooves make these look more compact. I hit it side by side with the T100 which is known to be pretty small and these looked more compact, I think because of he shorter grooves.

Feel and sound on the i59 is "different". It is a bit louder and to me definitely felt like you would think it would = an iron filled with a a lighter metal. It is unique and I think very pleasing. I think it feels and sounds great, but I can see how someone that was nitpicking these due to the price could decide they don't prefer it. I don't think it sounds/feels like anything else out there so that's a good differentiator in my opinion. 

Performance: I have hit pretty much every 33-34* 7 iron that I have ever tried in the last 15 years with whatever shaft ~170 yards and these were no different. Was hitting indoors so not much feedback. 

i59 v t100.jpg

• Like 2

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7