2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping i59

johngalt312

18 hours ago, ccp39 said:

Thinking of making myself a combo set of 9i-6i blueprints and i59 5i-4i. Makes it cheaper plus the loft/lie specs look pretty much identical between blueprint and i59 so theoretically they should blend well. 

Would love to know if anyone's been able to get their hands on anything other than a 7i demo, and how well they think short iron blueprints would blend into long iron i59s. Both in terms of looks (specifically blade length) and distance; I'm playing MP18 MMCs right now through the bag and when I got fitted for them they were consistently 5-10 yards longer than the blade MP18. Would like to avoid a 20 yard gap between blueprint 6i and i59 5i...

A vokey 46* and a Srixon ZX Utility 3i round out the set, for anyone weird enough to be curious as to what's in an internet stranger's bag...

I combo my 7-PW blueprints with TM p770s in 4-6.  Works well.  BPs are power specs.  

• Like 3

Excellent video above about feel @Golfguy1012  Makes me feel better about rarely sensing a difference between strikes with my blades and chunkier clubs.  Video does a great job of emphasizing how much sound affects what we think we feel.  As for i59, I suspect a bunch of people will say it doesn't feel as soft as a Mizuno or Miura forged club largely because of preconceived notions about Mizuno, Miura [insert another manufacturer] and Ping.  But they won't be wrong because who's to say what someone else feels or thinks they feel?  I'm not going to insist that club A must feel softer to everyone else just because it feels softer to me.  I look forward to trying the i59 and getting my own sense of it.    

• Like 2

I hit the i59 tonight during a fitting.

It looks nice, not amazing as there’s something weird about the heel/hosel transition.

I hit it with the stock LS shaft and feel was certainly on the clickier side but I’d describe it as firm and powerful in the feel dept

Forgiveness is off the scale….it just wanted to go high and straight…only problem was it was too high for me…almost moonballs

Distance wise I actually hit the new T100 slightly further and with a better flight for what I was looking for

For me and many people the biggest sticking point will be the price….it’s just a few hundred pounds too expensive especially when i210 can be had for a steal right now

If Ping had launched at a price closer to T100/Apex/P770 then they would sell so so many of these!!!

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the pricing is due to the awful delivery times for most Ping stuff at the moment. Make the price too appealing and they’d have no hope of supplying in a timely manner. jack the price up while supply is constrained, drop it early next year assuming they sort their issues out. 

8 minutes ago, London424 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the pricing is due to the awful delivery times for most Ping stuff at the moment. Make the price too appealing and they’d have no hope of supplying in a timely manner. jack the price up while supply is constrained, drop it early next year assuming they sort their issues out. 

I think price increases are mainly driven by the enormous rise of material costs. Expect a lot of new launches to clock in higher than previously. In addition, inflation is incredibly high right now (compared to the past 10 years), adding to that pressure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was able to hit these yesterday...I was blown away as they were awesome. The hosel/heel transition wasn't as noticeable to me as the toe shape was. Very forgiving for the small profile of the club and that's the biggest takeaway for me, I'm surprised that some of the tour guys have iBlade in the 4, 5, or 6 but maybe they generate enough spin to hold those clubs on a green. I love the look of blades but still need a little help.

It sounded a like a dull click compared to some of the clubs I've recently tested, but it felt great. If I was blindfolded I couldn't tell if it was the i210 or i59 on a center face strike.

I would consider these, but the price is the deal killer since I'm replacing the entire bag right now. There are cheaper (as if $1100+ is cheap) irons that will elevate my game the same these would. You won't be disappointed in them if you buy them though! The cool kids these days are playing PING for a reason.

Edited by Indygolfer18
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, m_w said:

I think price increases are mainly driven by the enormous rise of material costs. Expect a lot of new launches to clock in higher than previously. In addition, inflation is incredibly high right now (compared to the past 10 years), adding to that pressure.

There will be some of that but Titleist have just released all their clubs without insane price jumps

23 hours ago, eht8266 said:

The costs compared to Srixon, Mizz, and even Miuras is still somewhat shocking.

It is maybe right now, but It'll probably seem normal in the not too distant future. Ping tends to follow this model with their "forged" or premium offerings. The best time to strike is when the new tech makes it's way into the cast offerings, i210! When they take whatever they learned from the feedback of the i59 and put into the next cast mid-level iron head, I'd expect it perform great and be priced more inline with i210. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, London424 said:

There will be some of that but Titleist have just released all their clubs without insane price jumps

True, but there's really no way to tell when they secured the deal to produce their stuff. I have no idea what kind of timelines the golf equipment manufacturing industry works under, but I'd imagine contracts can be entered into prior to prices changing skyrocketing without much recourse for renegotiation

3 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

True, but there's really no way to tell when they secured the deal to produce their stuff. I have no idea what kind of timelines the golf equipment manufacturing industry works under, but I'd imagine contracts can be entered into prior to prices changing skyrocketing without much recourse for renegotiation

Exactly this. The manufacturer is eating the "loss" for Titleist.

• Like 1

I hit these earlier this week with the Project X LS and ordered them at Roger Dunn. They put in the order and said today that Ping told them the clubs would delivered by September 30th.

The club felt really good on impact. On flushed, strong hits with the 7 iron I was getting about 160-165 yards carry with about 5800 rpm back spin from a mat with range balls. I hit my G410 7 iron for comparison and was getting about 170-175 yards carry with about 5000 rpm backspin. I imagine I'd get even better results on turf with real balls with the i59s. I did hit a clanker super low in the face that rattled my hands, and the ball still registered about 150 carry while staying on line, albeit with a lower flight. Even on off center hits that shot the balls way off target I was still getting about 155-160 yards carry. Super forgiving irons imo and they look super clean. I hope I'll be gaming these bad boys for at least the next 5 years.

20210824_150725.jpg

Edited by Eidelweiss
Grammar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, m_w said:

Materials and labor shortages (which can lead overtime and expedited freight). A lot of manufacturer's are working on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th price increase already of 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if Ping's approach is to come out bullish on price, make sure they can meet demand the first 6 months and then readjust if necessary. People can argue this both ways but if you're Ping would you rather come out at $1750 and meet reduced demand for 6 months, then reduce the price to $1500 if the supply chain and workforce challenges ease, or would you rather come out at $1500, have crazy backlogs, work your people 7 days a week, have horrible on time delivery and then potentially raise prices in 6 months? 

The T100's and the P790's are $1300. The i59's are $1750. It's a jump, but it's not like these things are $2300. I'm sure Ping feels it's a premium product, with more technology and better quality. I bet they will sell pretty good - IF - we see a lot of tour adoption. I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen more guys switching over more quickly. I personally think it's important for sales. 

I'm torn about trying these. I have been playing i200s for last two and a half years and I would say I'm just starting to fully know, trust, and love them. I can't really imagine anything "feeling" (aka sounding) better than when I hit the i200 in the middle. And when I mishit them, especially on toe and thin shots, I am stunned at how the ball flies. You will often hear me say "That's all Ping on that one!"  I guess maybe the one place I could say the i200 could be improved for me is that the 8i-9i-and PW fly pretty high. Wouldn't mind seeing those with a more penetrating flight. I guess the bottom line is just that I'm not in the market for new irons, and not sure I ever will be with the way the i200s last. But boy are these pretty and I'm sure they look, feel, sound, and perform incredibly well for those in the market for irons in this segment.

Sorry if this falls in the "Cool story, bro" category. I just wanted to weigh in so bad!

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

10 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I'm torn about trying these. I have been playing i200s for last two and a half years and I would say I'm just starting to fully know, trust, and love them. I can't really imagine anything "feeling" (aka sounding) better than when I hit the i200 in the middle. And when I mishit them, especially on toe and thin shots, I am stunned at how the ball flies. You will often hear me say "That's all Ping on that one!"  I guess maybe the one place I could say the i200 could be improved for me is that the 8i-9i-and PW fly pretty high. Wouldn't mind seeing those with a more penetrating flight. I guess the bottom line is just that I'm not in the market for new irons, and not sure I ever will be with the way the i200s last. But boy are these pretty and I'm sure they look, feel, sound, and perform incredibly well for those in the market for irons in this segment.

Sorry if this falls in the "Cool story, bro" category. I just wanted to weigh in so bad!

Cool story bro..😄 don't listen to these jerks....do what you need, want and like....we don't all need new clubs every week and we don't all hit it 320.  With our 2i. 

Pings did used to be 'more' indestructible, i200 included.  My s55 look better than my i500, probably same # of rounds, but they both still look good.  

I'm gonna take a look, but I no longer have access to all the shafts and combos...going to need to head back to my fitter.  Locally, they just won't have the options I'm looking for. 

Would like to switch to graphite (c'mon kbs let me win one freaking contest), or just rebuild with my ctapers (without paying the upcharge again) both of which will require expertise I don't have with clubs this expensive.  

With all the tech and the weights and such, ping needs to build these for me, or my master fitter, who can order correct weight to build properly.  Very sensitive to SW.  

But dayum, these are sexy.  I think I have the game for them and miss the (like poster above) the more blade style short irons penetrating flight.  

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

On 8/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, Indygolfer18 said:

Was able to hit these yesterday...I was blown away as they were awesome. The hosel/heel transition wasn't as noticeable to me as the toe shape was. Very forgiving for the small profile of the club and that's the biggest takeaway for me, I'm surprised that some of the tour guys have iBlade in the 4, 5, or 6 but maybe they generate enough spin to hold those clubs on a green. I love the look of blades but still need a little help.

It sounded a like a dull click compared to some of the clubs I've recently tested, but it felt great. If I was blindfolded I couldn't tell if it was the i210 or i59 on a center face strike.

I would consider these, but the price is the deal killer since I'm replacing the entire bag right now. There are cheaper (as if $1100+ is cheap) irons that will elevate my game the same these would. You won't be disappointed in them if you buy them though! The cool kids these days are playing PING for a reason.

I’d think it would be really tough to consistently strike either club well if you were blindfolded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hit the 7 iron today indoors. For the people saying this is not a forged feeling golf club, I would disagree. It is a different feeling club but I would say its softer feeling that the T100s and Mizuno JPX. They had a used set of JPX 921s Tours on the rack and I hit it next to the i59. They didn't have any MPs built nearby to try so can't say for sure on that. Still out of my price range but satisfied my curiosity today. Nice clubs and people are going to love them that are willing to pay the price.

Just played a round with an iron of i59 & T100.  They're both nice, Ping going to sell a lot of them along with Titleist, but for me, didn't feel as good as a mizuno.  Both clean looking.  I didn't like how the groove's on i59 didn't extend more across the face of the club either.  Its weird, you have to look at it.  At one point I was thinking what did Ping do here?   I wasn't getting any more distance nor did I find dispersion to be any better than my current Mizzy's.  I also had the T100 which I thought was nice but not a game changer either.  If I had to choose between the two I'd probably go i59 because it did have a softer feel than T100 which I liked but not enough for me to change.   If new clubs aren't significantly better in feel/look at address and distance for me its a no go.  Nice clubs though, no knocks.  

54 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Just played a round with an iron of i59 & T100.  They're both nice, Ping going to sell a lot of them along with Titleist, but for me, didn't feel as good as a mizuno.  Both clean looking.  I didn't like how the groove's on i59 didn't extend more across the face of the club either.  Its weird, you have to look at it.  At one point I was thinking what did Ping do here?   I wasn't getting any more distance nor did I find dispersion to be any better than my current Mizzy's.  I also had the T100 which I thought was nice but not a game changer either.  If I had to choose between the two I'd probably go i59 because it did have a softer feel than T100 which I liked but not enough for me to change.   If new clubs aren't significantly better in feel/look at address and distance for me its a no go.  Nice clubs though, no knocks.  

The i59 had a softer feel than T100 to you? Wow, i guess feel really is super subjective

Has anyone ever done power spec from ping ? Would the turf interaction be affected significantly ?

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

I took a demo iron to the range today. I loved the look but am unsure if it is a good fit for me. I agree with all the reviews that say straight and high. I have a set of titleist coming this week I will do a comparison with. I don't think I am a fan of the PX LS though right now I am using stiffer version of the regular PX that I love.