Kevin Na vs WRX

chisag

If you miss really badly (chunked or bladed) the result with both clubs will be poor. In my experience a cavity back, which generally has more perimeter weighting, will help with toe hits. It may also help for shots hit a couple grooves low (but not completely bladed).

As far as pro's are concerned, it's probably more of a confidence thing than anything else considering the amount of money they are playing for.

Another fun aspect that I don't think has been explicitly mentioned is what was reported by Terry Koehler some years back in a blog post. He referenced robot testing at Hogan, and how virtually every CB they tested exhibited a wider dispersion range on good hits than did the Apex blade they were developing at that time (don't know if it's the Ft Worth set or the Channelbacks, he didn't specify model). He describes the blade as 1/4th the dispersion.

It's something I've seen myself, both anecdotally/informally on the course, and in launch monitor sessions.

He also mentions the mishit dropoffs, which were quite noticeable at the toe, but termed slight on heel misses. That may be another piece; I don't remember seeing it in this thread, but it was bandied about golf forums 20 years ago. If you miss toe side, blades bad, if you miss heel, they might indeed work.

Couple more random thoughts in between (virtual) meetings...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My view on Koelhler jives with yours on Titleist(which I agree with BTW)

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

past few years every spring I've been really tempted to get a mostly blade set, cb 4 iron and 5-pw mb. I think maybe because the cb offerings haven't done much for me recently and they have come out with some great looking blades. I'm not sure why anyone would care what someone plays, you are trying to beat the other person so if you think it hurts their game it is to your advantage. It's very strange to me how some people get worked up over someone playing blades. In reality you should get worked up over someone not taking lessons if you care about improving their game.

I have been through this over and over.

With the 15 years of being on the WRX staff I have been fitted by the best in the business. My handicap for the last 5 years has been from 2 to 6 pending on how busy I am.

Once of the most interesting fittings was at the Oven with Nike. I was fit by a fitter (I forgot his name) that normally fits the best in the world and then here he was fitting me... lol.

I was hitting my irons really good that day. I couldn't miss.

I was fitted with a set of player forged CBs. But the interesting thing was when we got to the 4 iron. He asked me how I felt about using a GI iron (VRS Forged)??? I hit the smaller forged CB and the VRS about the same. He asked... "what do you think?" I said I like the smaller forged cb for the looks and feel. I asked him what do you think.... The fitter looked over at me and said this. "If you were on my team and had a 200 yard carry, I would want you to have the VRS larger head."

And that was it and I listened to him. Larger GI in the 3 &4.

This is just my opinion... JMHGO but to optimize your scoring....I believe you have to play gear and get fit for your misses. Assume you are in the final stretch of "your" major, and what do you want to have in your hands.

While I love to hit a pure forged blade. I also love to drive a manual sports car. But does it perform a better track time over the PDK transmission? No.... it doesn't. Fun as sxxt but not the best performer.

I can hit a "juiced" 6 iron the same distance and height as my blade 4 iron and it is 1 inch shorter. Less spin but I can still hold hard greens all day.

So it comes down to what my priorities are. Scoring or enjoyment.

• Like 3

Scoring and enjoyment doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. Yes a dual clutch shifts in milliseconds but rev matching a manual is more engaging. If I’m a second behind my best lap at Lime Rock rowing my own gears vs my most modern DCT sports car it doesn’t really matter to me. There’s no cash or trophy for a track day driver. Just like there’s no cash or trophy for a weekend golfer. If I’m shooting a 75 vs a 73 because my blade 4 iron was 10 yards short, it doesn’t make golf more or less rewarding to me.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Re minimal dispersion with Blades on Iron Byron.

In march i started again with blades,on 4th hole i hit two balls with 5 iron,started walking and didnt see a second ball ahead.......when i got close,the longest ball was 4 inches in front of the ball i was looking at...so the accuracy is true for me. I was practicing early march in a field and 15 balls per club, the accuracy was Clearly better than my well respected mp63s.

Yes i will by an mp h4 3i!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I typically score better when I am enjoying my golf...just saying ?

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Not really funny and certainly no irony. In fact, not even surprising. There are lots of great ball strikers out there with very yippy putting strokes!?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Cracks me up too because it’s such an inaccurate statement.

I use the putter that matches my stroke!

As for comments regarding scoring = fun, it doesn’t for me. I practice more than I play because I take pleasure on putting a pure strike, plus work!

I have competed in two different men’s league and both times I finished second playing blades so there’s a lot of BS on this thread. I like how my playing partners check out my equipment because they have never seen a LW to 2 iron blade set lol.

Both times I lost was because both players just had a hot putter. What are you going to do when guys drain 30 footers and can get up and down from behind bushes lol.

You can only applaud it. I don’t even remember what CB irons they were using and not even important lol.

Exactly. Nobody cares about what you play. Most players care a lot about their own clubs, either through the love of customizing your own equipment, familiarity, or sheer vanity. Your opponent though, cares more about your score than anything else. If you can shoot a 68, most will be appreciative of your score (unless that guy shot a 62, and even then) whether you are playing with shovels, Miura Baby Blades, or a set of kids clubs. Only on GolfWRX where we are just way too bored at home and love to discuss blade vs GI every time a new topic pops up. If you like them, game them. For a guy shooting 100+, it will be 100+ regardless of blades or GI. Though I'd for sure recommend GI for those players (uh oh).

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I know this is sarcasm, but there are many delusional almost PGA tour pros on here with the mythical 330yd carry driver and "great ball striking" that need to extra focus from a small club head to achieve their best rounds. Thanks for the Thursday AM laugh. Oh, yeah forgot to mention, they likely have orange driveway stakes for the snow plow in their bag too to complete the poseur look.

Probably the best post in this entire thread. Even Rory plays P760 in his 3 and 4 iron and they are pretty chunky with some modest offset. Depending on your ability, sure play blades into the mid irons but when even the best opt for help in the long clubs alarm bells should be going off.

the best purchase I have made I've ever made for golf is the book Zen Golf. Those arguing that blades make you focus more are focused on the wrong things entirely. Learn how to focus all of your attention on target and ball flight and you can hit darts with any club.

• Like 2

What you found is a copy of the original. The original piece was on Terry Koehler's blog, it predates his involvement with the new Hogan Golf company. He didn't share data with the blog post.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Just for reference, I'm 57 and in good health and my hands are FAR MORE unsteady on my putting stroke than on a full swing. So hitting the sweet spot on my putter is not that easy.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Not every tour player plays blades. Play what works and if it gives you the slight edge I would do the same thing.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Not so fast. I have won my clubs handicapped, low net tournament 5 times playing players cavities or SGI clubs.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

No that's not it, I've seen the blog on it and it was available not more than 2 years ago. Not unusual to see links "disappear", I know of several more that have. Kohler found on Iron Byron that directional dispersion was much tighter with an MB. Which makes sense when you consider MB's have a higher initial spin rate. It's why a Vokey is still of traditional design. My view, there are several head fakes in this topic.

1) Spin to launch ratio is the real difference between an MB and players' CB. The toe shot is not the problem. though discomfort/results of toe shot is real.. But failing to adjust to spin/launch ratio will have you pull the clubs out of the bag in a matter of months. MOI's benefit is in greater freedom to swing in unencumbered way, not the extra 20 feet of distance.

2) "GI" is not limited to iron head. Many aspects of it is in the shaft profile and weight. Ping embodies that in their off the shelf setups, Titleist, not so much.

3) Pro's quite often play custom grinds on their clubs. The CG is higher and closer axial point of shaft. True for CB's and MB's. Molinari did not use standard Apex MB. Callaway offers "H3" heads to tour pro's on their CB designs.

4) The long iron is not nearly as important to the game as it once was. Pro's do not spend time hitting #3i's. They work on wedge, putter and driver a lot more than in prior generations.

5) Modern MB's have about 10% less initial spin than blades of 25 years ago. Lower spin, higher launch is found even there. Ball tech has dictated this trend.

6) Popular to see spin as a liability. It easily can be but it can also be an asset. Up the learning curve, spin can be utilized to increase ball control to better results. The metaphor of manual transmission to auto is called up at times. Would add metaphor of the steering rake angle of a Ducatti to a Honda Goldwing. There is simply more face control at the fingertips.

I started this game in my late 20's. Studies show I have a 98% probability of maxing index in high singles. Been there done that. To go better requires deeper technical improvements. I can do that with anything but chose to do that with blades because a) I like them, b) 65% of the scorecard has zero to do with MOI of an iron & c) of the remaining maybe a third of those face the wall of worry that blades can present. Frankly it's not worth the tradeoff.