Softer golf balls

mlf

While I am aware of the research regarding harder balls going farther and spinning more, I seem to score better and have more confidence with a softer ball.  Does anyone else experience this as well.  I keep reading about leaving a lot on the table with the softer compression balls but I really only notice that off the tee (maybe 5-7 yards).  But I am also at least 5 yards longer with the irons into the greens and am able to stop the ball without an issue.  I am a single digit handicap and play exclusively private clubs with fast greens and do not see the issues with stopping the ball during play with the exception of the low skipping chip shot which is very unreliable for me anyway.  With the softer ball, I feel like I flush the shot more often and that seems to build confidence throughout the round.  Am I crazy?  BTW, When I say softer balls, I am referring to the AVX, TP5 or BXS (not sure if I should try something else).  The X versions, I have my worst rounds every time.

• Like 3

Every ball has a trade off. Play what you feel performs best for your game. I like the 2020 CS. It works well for me in all areas. I’ve played my most consistent golf with what’s in my bag at this moment in time. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I switched to the Q Start Tour mainly because it's softer.

To be honest, I don't know if it's longer or shorter off the tee. If I hit a good drive in the fairway, it's still a good drive to me.

I find it incredible that everyone here is so consistent with the driver that they can tell that one ball is 7 yards longer.

I see much better players than myself striping balls in a sim and getting a ±5 yard variance from swing to swing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I got back today from 2 rounds.  I do not see that much of a difference but enjoyment of feeling like I pure every shot seems better to me with the softer ballI may have to give the Qatar tour a try.  I am turning 50 soon and still swing the driver around 110 and 7 iron above 90 mph.  When my shoulders, neck, etc start to hurt historically, I would switch to the softer ball and shoot lower scores.  I guess I should just play what works opposed of trying to play what works for the pros as they truly play a different game.

Softer balls are usually slightly slower off the driver but they also tend to spin less which often negates the loss of ball speed. Golfers also tend to find they pick up yardage with their irons with the softer balls. I agree there is something confidence inspiring about a softer feeling ball. The only real big advantage of the firmest balls are the highest levels of spin around the green and with partial wedge shots and if you don’t need that then there’s not much reason to play them. 

• Like 2

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

For where my game is at right now the AVX and TP5 seems to fit the best. I will be trying some Q-Star Tours and Z-Stars in the coming weeks as well.  I don't see a big enough gain in my driver for a harder ball and I can control those two the best right now. Short irons are one hop and stop, wedges tend to even back up a little with both of those for me.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, vadersfather said:

The balls you mentioned have a compression of 80 to 100ish. Those aren't soft balls. I play the wilson 50 elite as you might have guessed it's 50 compression. It's the longest ball of the driver I've ever used and it has reasonable spin and great around the green manners ✌️

+1 For Wilson 50 Elite.  Very soft off the irons.  Most Wilsons are like that.

• Like 1

I just switched from ProV1x to TP5 and I am sold on the TP5. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

For years I played the ProV1X.  Now I play the regular ProV1 (or sometimes the Srixon Z-Star when on sale). I don't feel I give up anything - distance or spin. But I do like the softer feel of the ProV1.  I'm not aware of anyone making a super-soft urethane ball.  I've tried the super-soft surlyn balls I've found on the course but they weren't for me.  Seemed almost too soft and lost scoring performance.  

21 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

I enjoy softer balls as a slower swinger. I know what some certain website's tests say, but my best scores have come with lower compression balls like the Wilson Duo. I like the way they feel, I score decent with them, and they're easy on my wallet.

I had bought some older Wilson SoftCore which some online places still have in close out.  The Blue box was the best and the red box is what is still out there.

Anyway, they had a deal on Wilson Duo (Optix).  It is a matte bright yellow.  The balls seem to hold up very well and I do not lose them.  Not because of the bright color but they seem to stay in the fairways well.   They are not the longest but close to Pro V1 and 1X plus other balls.  Not as soft as Fifty Elite or Fifty but close.

Edited by FakeClubPro
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 3:49 AM, mlf said:

While I am aware of the research regarding harder balls going farther and spinning more, I seem to score better and have more confidence with a softer ball.  Does anyone else experience this as well.  I keep reading about leaving a lot on the table with the softer compression balls but I really only notice that off the tee (maybe 5-7 yards).  But I am also at least 5 yards longer with the irons into the greens and am able to stop the ball without an issue.  I am a single digit handicap and play exclusively private clubs with fast greens and do not see the issues with stopping the ball during play with the exception of the low skipping chip shot which is very unreliable for me anyway.  With the softer ball, I feel like I flush the shot more often and that seems to build confidence throughout the round.  Am I crazy?  BTW, When I say softer balls, I am referring to the AVX, TP5 or BXS (not sure if I should try something else).  The X versions, I have my worst rounds every time.

I wouldn't consider the AVX or TP5 to be soft.

I play soft balls, like you mention it gives me more confidence. The Titleist Tour soft was the hardest soft ball i tried, it's so-so, but i prefer the Callway Chrome soft.

The durability wasn't that good, so i trasferred onto Honma TW-X, which are really good and i played for a good season.

Recently, i found the Bridgestone e12 Soft and i really like it. (having moved country, golf equipment is more expensive here, so i'm looking for a balance between feel, performance and price.) 

I don't really recognise any significant improvement between pro tour player balls or mid range ones.

I haven't done any scientific or solid professional testing, but i certainly don't lose, or care about, distance from the golf ball.

It's all about the feel.

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:29 PM, cristphoto said:

For years I played the ProV1X.  Now I play the regular ProV1 (or sometimes the Srixon Z-Star when on sale). I don't feel I give up anything - distance or spin. But I do like the softer feel of the ProV1.  I'm not aware of anyone making a super-soft urethane ball.  I've tried the super-soft surlyn balls I've found on the course but they weren't for me.  Seemed almost too soft and lost scoring performance.  

Honma TW-x

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

The balls you mentioned have a compression of 80 to 100ish. Those aren't soft balls. I play the wilson 50 elite as you might have guessed it's 50 compression. It's the longest ball of the driver I've ever used and it has reasonable spin and great around the green manners ✌️

I use TP5 in summer and yellow 50 elite in the cold. Ironically some of my lowest scores has been with the 50 elite. 

• Thanks 1

I like a soft ball. I'm a good iron player and definitely notice more distance on iron shots with a soft ball. With my driver, my strike is way too inconsistent to pin any distance variation on the type of ball. But I also can happily play a non urethane ball as I'm a very high ball hitter so land angle does most of the stopping for me on approach shots and in my part of the UK it's very unusual to play super fast, rock hard greens, even in the summer.

I like softer balls.  When I was young I’d love to play my dads balata and I still equate a softer feeling with well played golf.  I really like the chrome soft, even though they are not popular around here.  They are good around the greens and feel good with the irons.  I’m sure I’m giving up a yard or three off the tee, but I find that the confidence I get through a round from the softer feel is worth more than an extra yard or so off the tee.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a TP5 - Pro V1x guy.  But I have playing the 2020 Chrome Soft this season and it feels great, spins great and actually goes a little farther than the other 2 for me.  My driver SS is mid 90s and I continue to carry a fairway bunker that is 227 every time.  Never thought I would play a Callaway ball but its in the bag.

• Like 1

I'm probably one of the very few outliers here.  I mostly play the MTB-X because it flat out performs for me but I also play the AVX sometimes because I really like the low ball flight and super low spin.  MTB-X is 90 compression and the AVX is 80 I believe.  I hit my irons a club longer with the AVX but sometimes, especially when it's hot and dry here in SoCal, I have trouble with distance control with the AVX as the ball hits the green and rolls off the back.  The AVX is also about 5-10 yards longer off the tee compared to the MTB-X.  Dispersion about the same.  My point is that I don't think golfers should go by softer ball/compression guidelines.  Best thing to do is to either get on a launch monitor and pick a ball based on numbers or go out on the course and test balls. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Like butter off the irons too.  So soft. 

On 11/21/2020 at 4:05 AM, Bruceapex said:

Have always tried to find a ball that feels like a titleist tour balata 90 last made 1999, I think,. Best I’ve found to date is the Wilson soft spin, now discontinued but still available if you google it and cheap at around $15 a dozen

I used to play the PTS 90, but when I gave up golf for 7 years it wasn't available when I came back. I've always played the softest Titleist ball available since then because the feel around the greens is the most important thing for me. 

On 10/28/2020 at 5:03 AM, jomatty said:

I like softer balls.  When I was young I’d love to play my dads balata and I still equate a softer feeling with well played golf.  I really like the chrome soft, even though they are not popular around here.  They are good around the greens and feel good with the irons.  I’m sure I’m giving up a yard or three off the tee, but I find that the confidence I get through a round from the softer feel is worth more than an extra yard or so off the tee.

I'm an old guy who remembers balata well, and I understand completely what you are saying about the way balata felt.

That said (and I know that you know this) lower compression balls like the Chrome Soft really are the best analogy to balata balls in terms of PERFORMANCE.  Balata balls spun like CRAZY, including off the driver, of course, and to get that today, you have to go to some of the 4 piece, firmer golf balls.

Probably the most similar ball to balata on the market today is the Kirkland; really high spin, and noticeably shorter off the driver.

I played the TruFeel by Titleist this weekend and really liked it. I wanted a lower compression ball for the cold weather and a red matte color for leaves and sun glare issues. The TruFeel was a little shorter off my driver and a little longer with my short and mid irons, which is interesting. The red matte worked well- very easy to spot. I had no problem stopping it on the greens despite it being a two piece ball. I think I’ll like it even more as the temperature drops more. I got a box of 12, so I’ll have enough left to play when summer rolls around too- I’m curious how it will play in hot weather. 

On 10/17/2020 at 3:49 PM, mlf said:

I completely agree.  Especially with iron shots, the more flush feel builds confidence vs the clankier feeling firmer balls.  I like the Q Star Tour.  Edit- compression is ~72 for the QST

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

4 minutes ago, Bruceapex said:

Anyone tried the TaylorMade tour response?

40 compression, 3 piece construction and a urethane cover....

would love to hear comparisons and opinions.

It's a 70 overall compression. The ball should be similar to the Q Star Tour and Project A. Low compression, 3 piece urethane. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/taylormade-tour-response-golf-balls-20tymu2020trrspnsgbl/20tymu2020trrspnsgbl

On 11/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, Honeybadger said:

I played the TruFeel by Titleist this weekend and really liked it. I wanted a lower compression ball for the cold weather and a red matte color for leaves and sun glare issues. The TruFeel was a little shorter off my driver and a little longer with my short and mid irons, which is interesting. The red matte worked well- very easy to spot. I had no problem stopping it on the greens despite it being a two piece ball. I think I’ll like it even more as the temperature drops more. I got a box of 12, so I’ll have enough left to play when summer rolls around too- I’m curious how it will play in hot weather. 

How does it compare to the Trusoft? I've been playing that for a couple of years. Rick Shiels tested it and even though he said it didn't feel as soft as a ProV (I can't see how) the numbers were almost identical.