2020 Masters Invitational champion is Dustin Johnson!

tiderider
Message added by BAlberstadt,

Watch along with GolfWRX Staff from leader tee off Saturday, Sunday. 

37 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

I was quoting a brigadier general who had, the year prior, been a prominent congressman and on the board of VMI...

when he made the Latin quote, it was to a Richmond reporter who asked what it was like to take orders from a former eccentric physics professor who he had almost fired 18 months prior....

It happened that the oddball physics professor was a terrible teacher but was, at that moment, one of the greatest military minds the US ever produced...

and so, in response to query, the brigadier said those words in Latin which, loosely translate to “times change and we change with them”

-chris

It was well placed Chris. It made me think of “In vino Veritas”, from that particular western we’ve been throwing about. Maybe because, for me, I’ve sort of wrapped my head around the direction of the modern game while imbibing. I wanted to be a contrarian like some on this forum, but I quickly understood there wasn’t much point. Golf will always be in good hands simply because there are so many different challenges presented by the different courses. The Masters this year showed us that.  Sometimes in wine there is truth, or truth can be found. Maybe that could be extended to with wine we can accept change. 

Forgive the rambling here. I’m about to switch from a nice Chianti to some Spanish Brandy 🙂.  

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dalehead said:

I knew we could agree. Yes, it would have taken a 64 by Im or Smith to catch DJ, but if either could have posted 2 or 3 birdies early on the back nine who knows what would have happened. We might at least have had a more compelling finish than DJ’s last 4 hole coronation march. Not that he didn’t earn it with his birdies on 13, 14, and 15. But neither player could muster it.

What was most disappointing is we were anticipating a great final 36 holes after all the top players we saw in contention. The tournament was actually lost in the third round when the likes of JT, Rahm, Smith, Im, and others couldn’t keep pace with DJ.

Doesn’t seem that odd really though. You are asking others to tie the best score of the event.

I get it...you wanted a nail biter.....maybe even extra holes.  And instead you got a coronation of the best player on tour today.  And that can be boring in a way. Luckily with the Masters being played in November you could switch to football.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

It was well placed Chris. It made me think of “In vino Veritas”, from that particular western we’ve been throwing about. Maybe because, for me, I’ve sort of wrapped my head around the direction of the modern game while imbibing. I wanted to be a contrarian like some on this forum, but I quickly understood there wasn’t much point. Golf will always be in good hands simply because there are so many different challenges presented by the different courses. The Masters this year showed us that.  Sometimes in wine there is truth, or truth can be found. Maybe that could be extended to with wine we can accept change. 

Forgive the rambling here. I’m about to switch from a nice Chianti to some Spanish Brandy 🙂.  

"Golf will always be in good hands..."

So that's just about that.  Going to spend more time playing golf this year than yapping golf this year.

Thank you

image.jpeg.fbaaaa721a3a2aa64cd0c36a8f588474.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Have you guys read the stats on DJ's week?

- Record score

- Lowest amount of bogeys ever

- 60 of 72 GIR, four better than any other player

- Also led proximity to hole

- incredible 29 feet prox. avg from 175-200 yards

- one single 3 putt all week

- made every putt he had inside 6 feet

Talk about a deserving winner .... WOW !!!!

Every putt within 6 feet.  You see guys with three or four footers have brain fade and miss them which just kills their score.   Those stats are insane.

I always thought if DJ could keep his mental part of the game really focused - he would be unbeatable.   In the past, it seemed like his mental game was not 100% because he knew his physical skills could bail him out.  He seemed to lose concentration, at least in my eyes.   He just seemed easy going, just enjoying getting paid (well) to play golf.  It seems like he has pulled everything together now.  Wow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oikos1 said:

"Golf will always be in good hands..."

So that's just about that.  Going to spend more time playing golf this year than yapping golf this year.

Thank you

image.jpeg.fbaaaa721a3a2aa64cd0c36a8f588474.jpeg

Your residence must be in the middle latitudes. Pass go, collect 200 dollars, and use it on green fee's. I'm stuck on Baltic avenue, but at least it has a Binny's 🙂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

Kilmer deserved an oscar imho...not even a nomination

One of the best performances of all time imho

Definitely a masterful performance. He took and did his own thing with it versus Dennis Quaid who probably did a more historically accurate version of Holiday in “Wyatt Earp”.

It reminds me of the dynamic Johnny Depp brought to his version of Hunter S. Thompson in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” vs. Bill Murray’s more subdued version in “Where the Buffalo Roam”.

Funny little fact there, apparently Murray couldn’t shake the Thompson persona when he returned to SNL after shooting wrapped.  He kept the whole act going cigarette holder and everything. Pissed off the rest of the cast something fierce, lol. 

image.jpeg.8c7d5712713d0afd56220358fa86d974.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

DJ? He go with like,

Celery soup

Cold chicken in aspic

Poires belle Helene

E129D413-774A-4ED5-9807-E6685E72F124.jpeg

Warm that up on a little bone stock and throw some flour and mozzarella in to Thicken it up and you’d have the start to a decent chicken stew.  

• Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:09 AM, Christosterone said:

Nelson was an assassin....so was Snead...so was Hogan

but Nelson curb stomped them...he was next level

The year Nelson won 11, hogan and snead each won 5....Nelson finished 2nd in an additional 7 tournaments...

he later lamented not winning 20 tournaments that year

Lord Byron would rip your throat out...albeit with a kind smile

snead and Nelson were not quite as genial....nor as good

-Chris 

https://golfhistorytoday.com/1947-lew-worsham-sam-snead/

A story about a player getting inside snead's head. Calling for a measurement of who's away when Snead is about to hit a 2½ footer. Icy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, farmer said:

Has anyone noticed that DJ played like a longer Hogan?  Mastery (no pun intended) of his game, his mind and the course?  4 freaking bogies for the tournament?  Sunday was dull because DJ OWNED IT.

I don't think Hogan ever putted as well as DJ did last week. Of course.. he never really needed too 🙂

18 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Definitely a masterful performance. He took and did his own thing with it versus Dennis Quaid who probably did a more historically accurate version of Holiday in “Wyatt Earp”.

It reminds me of the dynamic Johnny Depp brought to his version of Hunter S. Thompson in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” vs. Bill Murray’s more subdued version in “Where the Buffalo Roam”.

Funny little fact there, apparently Murray couldn’t shake the Thompson persona when he returned to SNL after shooting wrapped.  He kept the whole act going cigarette holder and everything. Pissed off the rest of the cast something fierce, lol. 

image.jpeg.8c7d5712713d0afd56220358fa86d974.jpeg

In the running for best bizarro movie scene gotta be Alfred Molina and this kid throwing random firecrackers with Jessie’s Girl playing in the background while they negotiate a Meth deal

69C8021B-6485-44B7-BA7F-6E95E2D78762.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

https://golfhistorytoday.com/1947-lew-worsham-sam-snead/

A story about a player getting inside snead's head. Calling for a measurement of who's away when Snead is about to hit a 2½ footer. Icy.

The good old days. You had a whisky at the bar, laced up your nails, and went into battle. No love lost.  

Great story. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Dr. Block

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

In the running for best bizarro movie scene gotta be Alfred Molina and this kid throwing random firecrackers with Jessie’s Girl playing in the background while they negotiate a Meth deal

69C8021B-6485-44B7-BA7F-6E95E2D78762.jpeg

Paul Thomas Anderson has a knack for that. He could even pull it off in a 1920's setting.  Mrs. Block has heard that "I drink your milkshake" line used quite often and out of context. She’s pretty over it. 

btw...I wish I could have liked and laughed at that Boogie Nights post. It deserved double rep points 

Pin on MOVIES

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, milesgiles said:

Not at all. I’m just listening to the point of view that says this major suited the chaps with less intestinal fortitude. I’m sure DJ would rather win a real jacket in April 

Maybe you don’t realize it, But THERE IS NO GREEN JACKET IN APRIL this year!!!!!!  We are discussing the 2020 Masters, and you’re discussing some hypothetical tourney that’s didn’t and is not going to happen.  Do you think he should have not entered this November version, and said “Pfft!! I’d rather win the April edition”? 🙄

• Like 1

Just wanted to say 

1. congratulations to Dustin Johnson 

2. congratulations to Dustin’s Johnson 

image.jpeg.03c290776ac8b594242a37c0cc13ebcb.jpeg

• Haha 2

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

6 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Have you guys read the stats on DJ's week?

- Record score

- Lowest amount of bogeys ever

- 60 of 72 GIR, four better than any other player

- Also led proximity to hole

- incredible 29 feet prox. avg from 175-200 yards

- one single 3 putt all week

- made every putt he had inside 6 feet

Talk about a deserving winner .... WOW !!!!

Well obviously he was going to put up outstanding numbers in a fake major.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, mhudson111 said:

Maybe you don’t realize it, But THERE IS NO GREEN JACKET IN APRIL this year!!!!!!  We are discussing the 2020 Masters, and you’re discussing some hypothetical tourney that’s didn’t and is not going to happen.  Do you think he should have not entered this November version, and said “Pfft!! I’d rather win the April edition”? 🙄

Where did I say or imply  ‘last’ April cupcake?

47 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Where did I say or imply  ‘last’ April cupcake?

Not sure since I didn’t say last either.  I said April “this”year.  2020.  Why are you talking about possibly 2021 or some bizarro universe where 2020 had an April Masters?  

Why would anyone say “No I don’t want to win the 2020 Masters because it’s in November” or “No I don’t want to win this year’s Masters, I’ll wait till next year cause it’s in April.  I’d much rather win in April”

And since you stared the name calling for someone discussing your reasoning, it appears your the one having trouble containing your emotions, cupcake

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mhudson111 said:

Not sure since I didn’t say last either.  I said April “this”year.  2020.  Why are you talking about possibly 2021 or some bizarro universe where 2020 had an April Masters?  

Why would anyone say “No I don’t want to win the 2020 Masters because it’s in November” or “No I don’t want to win this year’s Masters, I’ll wait till next year cause it’s in April.  I’d much rather win in April”

And since you stared the name calling for someone discussing your reasoning, it appears your the one having trouble containing your emotions, cupcake

Your callout was daft. What I said was completely in line with every post I’ve made about DJ. He’d rather win a Masters in April, 2021,2022, doesn’t matter. Whenever. 

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

Your callout was daft. What I said was completely in line with every post I’ve made about DJ. He’d rather win a Masters in April, 2021,2022, doesn’t matter. Whenever. 

Well at least that part is true. Your reasoning has been consistent....😏

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

What Rory wouldn’t give, $10MM easy, I’d venture to guess, to win the green jacket in November.

Or December for that matter ; )

6EA4A73C-50A8-42E5-A214-491A358E4A31.jpeg

Or how about this guy?!

He take any Masters even if it was against a bunch of midgets on New Years Eve. Or vertically challenged people. Or whatever the “preferred nomenclature” is ; )

3D08E587-647F-4DF5-89E0-FAFA100946AE.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Thanks 1

I kinda like some of the tournaments with no fans now because then you know who played the best golf without any fan disruptions that may affect outcomes. However, Masters tournament has the absolute best fans. They are all super big golf fans and know not to be disruptive. 

Edited by tacklingdummy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, oikos1 said:

What is this "rather" nonsense.  I'm almost certain he was thrilled to win the Masters in 2020.  I'm also almost certain he would like to win in 2021, 2022 and for as long as he can.  No one says "I'd rather win a Masters, or Major, another time".  Good lord.

And to add to the lore, he won it in November during a pandemic in which he tested Covid positive the month prior to winning.  That's badass. 

I can see the “ rather “.  If I had to choose I’d rather win in front of fans. The walk up 18 is surely different , right ?  

ans I don’t think Covid makes it any more special.  To a healthy horse like him it was merely a cold.  We don’t celebrate when folks win after having the sniffles a couple weeks earlier.  That’s reserved  for leg fractured ( tiger ) or double vision after an in game traumatic brain injury ( Larry bird ).    Let’s not try to elevate it anywhere near those levels.  And if you look. I called DJ in round 1 and cheered him on all the way.  But I can still imagine that he will want to win a masters with the full effect.   

• Like 3

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

35 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I can see the “ rather “.  If I had to choose I’d rather win in front of fans. The walk up 18 is surely different , right ?  

ans I don’t think Covid makes it any more special.  To a healthy horse like him it was merely a cold.  We don’t celebrate when folks win after having the sniffles a couple weeks earlier.  That’s reserved  for leg fractured ( tiger ) or double vision after an in game traumatic brain injury ( Larry bird ).    Let’s not try to elevate it anywhere near those levels.  And if you look. I called DJ in round 1 and cheered him on all the way.  But I can still imagine that he will want to win a masters with the full effect.   

Cheers that’s really all I’ve been saying.

• Haha 2