JT dropped by Ralph Lauren

DrivingChamp

38 minutes ago, Bye said:

From a quick search, it seems like the aforementioned clothing company has not always managed to get things right.

He made a mistake, then did the right thing. They could have said that they wanted to work with JT to help him learn and improve from this. I would have had more respect for that.

I really enjoy listening to the interviews of guys like JT, Rory and Jordan, its been really refreshing, and so much better than what came before.

I hope he has a great year, and wins a major.

I agree. I felt RLs announcement was a weak strategy and borderline libelous. 

Had they gone with your approach it would have been more honorable and effective. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, app10 said:

I'm surprised that folks are surprised.   

Ralph Lauren has been supporting the LGBTQ+ community since before Justin Thomas was born.  They literally have launched lines of clothing around this support.  They were recently named the best place to work for LGBTQ equality by the Human Rights Campaign.  This was a very sound decision by RL and completely on brand for them.  

It's almost like the people saying they were surprised or he shouldn't have been dropped, know absolutely nothing about Ralph Lauren...weird.

RL is Pathetic. I hope a power player signs him to something huge. Under Armor in  need of a stud and some fresh blood. Seems like a good landing spot for JT.

With this move it does not seem that RL is interested in keeping any momentum in the golf market. Billy Ho is their headliner now. DL3 is tying flys and who the heck even knows if Smylie will be on a tour at all this season.

• Like 1

Also, seems to me that this whole story came and went without much press besides the initial incident and the following Sunday. I don’t know where everyone is getting this LGB......... outrage. That group hasn’t done much chirping on this incident. Because they don’t even care.

Edited by 1t2golf
language
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, tekman said:

Did he direct the slur at anyone other than himself?  No.  Did he berate anyone or do some drunken online rant?  No.  Was he contrite and give a heart felt apology?  Yes.  Do I think he learned from this ?  Yes.  Who's in the wrong here?  Ralph Lauren.  It's a good thing I don't support them. 

The deal is: wear the clothes, don’t do anything stupid, and we’ll pay you a lot of money. 

Ralph Lauren isn’t the one who failed to uphold their end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nike and Under Armour are completely off the table. Remember, he has a current footwear deal and that hasn’t gone anywhere. Who’s the last Nike or UA athlete you know who isn’t wearing their shoes? 

I think JT is the type of guy who wants to stick with sponsors for a long time. Don’t be surprised if you see Him still in Polo and if he resigns. 

Otherwise, it’s going to probably be foot joy. My personal pick? Lulu. Would be a great spot for them to get into the game. 

and we wonder why the players don't want to be mic'd up! Maybe Bryson had something when he complained about the cameras a year or so ago. They have a 5 second delay, yet we still hear F-bombs, etc. I also blame NBC for not doing that. If I were his agent I'd in in the PGA Tour's face for not standing up for him. I don't really want to hear every freaking thing these guys have to say, we've learned a lesson with the special Wednesday events and other celebrity events, the players just aren't that interesting to listen to, especially during tournament conditions. If there were fans we wouldn't have a clue about this. This is going to change a lot of player opinions about mic's in cups, etc. When you've got to be soooo careful. Who hasn't said, "Did you hit that with your purse?" Are women's rights groups going to be pissed off? We all say things to ourselves when we play. I'd love to see JT walk away and grab another clothing sponsor and crap on RL's parade. 

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*; Callaway PM Grind 64*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
Bridgestone B RXS

28 minutes ago, ivygynonc said:

When will the PGA and tours wake up and start 'protecting' their image

and stop mic'ing up and having boom mics to listen to the players words?

(since clearly they are worried about their image for dropping certain courses in the championship rota) 

The NFL got this a long long time ago.  Do you think they would ever allow a TV station to center in on the players?  could you imagine what they would say during a game???  the NFL ain't no idiots as they say...

The PGA is a bunch of dopes.  Bryson was right--why do you want to follow me around for 45 seconds after a bad shot?   Many other golfers on here would have dropped a few choice words or something else.  This doesn't need to be heard and benefits us watching the sport absolutely zero. 

Agree with this 100%...in the NBA and NFL they only have 1 or 2 players or coaches mic’d up and they have the heads up on that day that they are “on stage” and have to be on their best behaviour. Viewers have too much access to what golfers and their caddies are saying on the course for sure.

Edited by BallerNate

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Almost sure tiger will bring him to the Nike fam 

uniqlo is another good one Someone mentioned 

travis Mathew just got Rahm so could double down with another top player 

UA maybe , but for some reason I don’t see it (maybe foot joy / titleist foot ware conflict) 

when is his next tourney ? 

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

21 minutes ago, ivygynonc said:

When will the PGA and tours wake up and start 'protecting' their image

and stop mic'ing up and having boom mics to listen to the players words?

(since clearly they are worried about their image for dropping certain courses in the championship rota) 

The NFL got this a long long time ago.  Do you think they would ever allow a TV station to center in on the players?  could you imagine what they would say during a game???  the NFL ain't no idiots as they say...

The PGA is a bunch of dopes.  Bryson was right--why do you want to follow me around for 45 seconds after a bad shot?   Many other golfers on here would have dropped a few choice words or something else.  This doesn't need to be heard and benefits us watching the sport absolutely zero. 

He still said the word and that's the end of that. By saying the the cameras shouldn't have been listening, you are saying that language is ok as long as no one is watching, which it isn't. There are plenty of other words he could have used that aren't derogatory towards specific sexual orientations, races, or genders. Imagen if there were fans with children there and he said that out loud. Also the NFL does police its language. Players get flagged and fined. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's the public, but rather the RL employees who are the most upset.

Recall the Woody Allen memoir controversy a couple years ago...75 employees walked out and demanded they don't publish the book, and the publisher caved.   BTW, the first half of the book up until the Mia Farrow stuff, is fantastic.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, there is little wiggle room for any transgressions...intent seems irrelevant as well.  Makes me very glad I'm not in the public eye, and don't post on social media. 

A friendly tip:  watch what you post in a comments/bulletin board as well.  Anything can come back and bite you.  Heck, maybe I'll get cancelled for reading and liking Woody's book!

Very, very few green grass golf shops (certainly a higher proportion in country clubs-but they aren't the larger market) or even big box golf retailers carry RL. So I have wondered at times the marketing reach RL was trying to achieve with Justin. Golf has to be a very small sliver of their polo sales.

What I fine interesting these days instead of just taking the action , just notify the involved party and move on, corporate suits (and I was one before a second career as a golf professional-now fully retired) need to publish length, virtue signaling statements. That just inflames the fires on both side.

What will be interesting is if Titleist were to dump JT how would it impacting their market share, especially in golf balls where the real money lies because of volume. Callaway and Bridgestone have been eating into Titleist's share. I've played Pro V1's exclusively for years and currently have my 4th set of AP2's (all Titleist for over 20 years) but I could switch in a heartbeat and it won't impact my game at all.

Or will it matter at all since most golfer's will accept JT's apology and move on. As we all should.

• Like 1

If I had a dime for every time one of my buddies referred to themselves as "Sally" after leaving a putt short, I would be able to start my own clothing brand for JT.  

That said, I really hope Titleist does not drop JT, I'm holding onto hope.

All we can do is try and be better the next time and learn to forgive instead of creating a space where the goal is to add more gasoline.  If that is truly who JT is then he will expose himself again.  We see only parts of these guys lives on TV, it does not mean it's who they are at the core even if we want to try and make it so.  I find that I have to keep reminding myself that Bryson could be a totally different person off the course because in those moments he is in "compete mode", trying to make a living and leave his mark on the history of the game, he is in a different zone.  

RL made a choice and they are entitled to it, either way I'm sure there is backlash and they know what they are doing, but I will be glad to see JT move on from them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

This gave Ralph Lauren a soapbox where they could take a holier than thou approach to the situation.

I understand why it happened.

However...what's next?  punish me for thoughts in my head?

I grew up in an era where verbiage like this was very common.  At least for me, real intent is not there at all - it's a joke or just a word that fits a frustrating situation. 

With that said, I understand that times are changing and that is fine...but it won't happen overnight.  Everyone is overly sensitive now and looking for a debate/fight.

The good part is that maybe Justin Thomas will not look like he is attending a yacht party anymore.

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Sticking by someone that makes an honest mistake and shows real remorse would be an opportunity for RL to take the conversation to the next level.  Even off a chance to work with JT to show how people can come together and learn from bad experiences.  

After all their brand doesn't seem to be hurting much while they keep making products in 3rd world sweatshops. 

Who's really making a difference here or offering a teaching moment for the world?  All RL did was protect their brand, which is within their right, but a cowardly way out.

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin

2 hours ago, tiderider said:

i doubt anyone would consider it this year ... doubt JT's gonna try to pick up anything this year ... he's sponsored by several others, but Beat by Dr Dre and citi are the main ones that will probably drop ... the others are a private jet co, woodford reserves (over-rated bourbon, so wouldn't be that big a loss) and fj ... 

Woodford overrated????  I’m heading over to the bourbon page to battle you on this one!!!!!

• Haha 2

JT is a very marketable guy in terms of on course performance and off course behavior.  A lot of people swear when they make bad putts.  He'll get snatched up by other apparel company in no time.  It is RL's loss.  My bet is with Adidas or Nike.  Under Armor is a good fit too but can't afford him at this time.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, CCTxGolf said:

RL is Pathetic. I hope a power player signs him to something huge. Under Armor in  need of a stud and some fresh blood. Seems like a good landing spot for JT.

With this move it does not seem that RL is interested in keeping any momentum in the golf market. Billy Ho is their headliner now. DL3 is tying flys and who the heck even knows if Smylie will be on a tour at all this season.

RL is not Under Armor. 

You don’t want to tick off this crowd that’s paying 10k for these get ups

24B39A95-BC2B-44F8-B1F5-6FC4FC33B0CE.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

JT is a very marketable guy in terms of on course performance and off course behavior.  A lot of people swear when they make bad putts.  He'll get snatched up by other apparel company in no time.  It is RL's loss.  My bet is with Adidas or Nike.  Under Armor is a good fit too but can't afford him at this time.

Nike would make a lot sense with his ties to TW.  

5 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Nike would make a lot sense with his ties to TW.  

I'm sure Tiger will put in a good word to Phil Knight to sign him up.  He probably did that for Jason Day and I'm pretty sure he did that for Rory.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."