2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

4 minutes ago, Olddoncarlo said:

Wow....and I thought I was cynical!!!

But golf is (or should be) different.

Guys like Reed and Kuchar are basically dirtbags.

Everyone saw Reed's shot pop a foot in the air after it first landed.

How can a ball possibly plug after that?

IT CAN'T.

Reed should have been penalized and the official should be told to look for another job.

The official had access to TV replay. Why didn't he use it??

How do you know the spin on Reeds ball didn't cause it to auger into the ground a little?

Plus, he was told (on camera) it didn't bounce, so his mind is already visualizing the bottom half of the ball being embedded.

Its never as simple as you think it is.  But I totally get it ... if you don't like PR, nobody is going to change your mind.

• Like 4

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

4 minutes ago, Olddoncarlo said:

Wow....and I thought I was cynical!!!

But golf is (or should be) different.

Guys like Reed and Kuchar are basically dirtbags.

Everyone saw Reed's shot pop a foot in the air after it first landed.

How can a ball possibly plug after that?

IT CAN'T.

Reed should have been penalized and the official should be told to look for another job.

I don't know what I missed but how did Kuchar got in this? I thought he was a Mr Niceguy.

Everyone watching TV saw the bounce on replay... Players can't always see where the ball lands. In Reed's case, he asked the marshall nearby and she said it didn't bounce. It was clearly heard on the replay. So if someone standing nearby told you that your ball didn't bounce, is it not a good enough reason to think the ball might be plugged given the soft condition? 

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

1 minute ago, mister2cool said:

I don't know what I missed but how did Kuchar got in this? I thought he was a Mr Niceguy.

Everyone watching TV saw the bounce on replay... Players can't always see where the ball lands. In Reed's case, he asked the marshall nearby and she said it didn't bounce. It was clearly heard on the replay. So if someone standing nearby told you that your ball didn't bounce, is it not a good enough reason to think the ball might be plugged given the soft condition? 

Didn't Kuchar stiff his Mexican caddy during WRC in Mexico or was it Thailand where he paid him about 10,000 pesos?

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Very simple here.  He asked the spotter/volunteer if it bounced, the volunteer either said no or I didn't see it bounce( I cannot remember which).  The course was pretty wet in some of the rough areas.  He is allowed to check it to see if it is embedded.  This is all within the rules and asking the volunteer is either being smart or covering his A $ $ or pre-meditation.  Either way WE have no idea which, his track record shows it was probably pre-meditation, but the rules do not care about the track record of a person.

The issue most have with this, is the pulling of the ball, palming it, placing it somewhere else and then monkeying around where it hit in the ground.  NO telling what he was doing. 

My thoughts are he knows EXACTLY what the rules will let him get away with and he went right to the edge and called the rules official because he knew the rules official couldn't say differently at that point.  Was it shady?  Absolutely.  Would we think it was shady if Tiger, or Speith, Thomas, or Rickie or countless others did it?  Probably but a much lighter shade.  

Because I know people who knew him in college and people who played with people he played with or played with him in college and I have heard everything from there I WILL NEVER pull for him.  I never have pulled for him and never will.

I do know one thing, Xander has moved into my top 5 PGA pros I will pull for after his comments on it though.

+1....this is the best rundown of what PR did and why Rory has to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Everyone should be able to agree with this on both sides of the argument.  He was within the rules, but plays them to the edge.  

45 minutes ago, mister2cool said:

How far did his ball go?  Was it a 7 iron or 6 iron?  It looks like at least 160 yards.  There is no way he could have seen it bounce in that grass from that distance.  The grass was pretty high. 

• Like 1

I think PR's biggest problem is being "perceived" as a cheater. Same thing with Matt Kuchar being thought of as cheap. If for the rest of the year, Patrick Reed needs to call a rules official for ANY question about a lie or a rule. Heck, tell the tour you are doing that to rehab your image and they will probably keep a guy with your group. 

Just like MK needs to be seen dropping a couple grand tips at a few places, he needs to have people see him trying to make the effort. Does he have to, no. Should he so he gets more money from his image/brand, you bet.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G430 5w (Tour 2.0 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

47 minutes ago, FakeClubPro said:

Didn't Kuchar stiff his Mexican caddy during WRC in Mexico or was it Thailand where he paid him about 10,000 pesos?

OMG.. still on that? I was and still am with Kuchar.. an agreement is an agreement. The local caddie should have asked what happens if he won.

• Like 1

PXG SD 58*

4 minutes ago, FakeClubPro said:

How far did his ball go?  Was it a 7 iron or 6 iron?  It looks like at least 160 yards.  There is no way he could have seen it bounce in that grass from that distance.  The grass was pretty high. 

Yeah I think we are in agreement. 

PXG SD 58*

What happened at Farmers was ruled by the PGA Rules official - no foul there.

Edited by AndyOCGolfer

Driver: SIM Max - Stiff 10.5

3 Wood: SIM Max - Stiff 15

5 Wood: Ping G410

Irons: Callaway Apex / OBAN Stiff Shaft

Wedges: Cleveland

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

1 hour ago, tiderider said:

rory is irish ... the irish don't lie ... they imbibe ... which is not the same thing as embed ... they imbibe and talk like leprechauns ... leprechauns don't cheat ... 

*Northern Irish 👍

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I don't think Reed had any intention of playing his ball as it lied when he was approaching it.  He asked the volunteer if it bounced as he was walking to it - why would you ask that before you've inspected the lie?  I think he was already constructing an excuse to be able to pick up the ball and inspect the area.

That said, the entire incident was way overblown, and guys will look to the rules to take advantage of them whenever possible.  I don't see what Rory did as being drastically different.  CBS blew the thing so far out of proportion it wasn't even funny, and I am not a Reed fan at all.

What Bryson did with the ant rule awhile back was 100x worse.  He was searching for anything possible to not have to hit his shot from a bad position, knowing full well the rule wouldn't apply but willing to make a mockery of them. 

And the media is so inconsistent with it - they'll give some guys credit for "using the rules to their advantage", and then act like Reed committed the crime of the century when every rules official there said he was within his rights to do what he did.  The optics of what he did were a little fishy to me, but I don't think it significantly impacted the tournament and his bunker debacle was far more outrageous.

• Like 1

The fact is that he was cleared by a rules official.....HOWEVER, the ball was clearly not embedded and he was the only one who saw it. So, he was within the rules to lift and examine the lie, and once he saw clearly it was NOT plugged, he did what Patrick Reed does and lied about it saying it was and thus ultimately took false relief. He’s a straight up cheating POS. 

23 minutes ago, AndyOCGolfer said:

What happened at Farmers was ruled by the PGA Rules official - no foul there. But the issue is how Patrick Reed went about the whole situation. I see an intent there on trying to get away with something. The way he palmed the ball and placed it 6 feet away and poked in there to feel for a pitch mark. The optics of it are bad. There is no player out there who will agree that what he did was completely kosher. 

Coupled with what he did in the bunker at the Hero he will be always judged and doubted. 

Yes he won. Yes he has the Masters. Yes he will win more. Yes he will make a lot of money and YES he will be looked at questionably by his peers. And NO he wont give 2 fucks about it. This is the dude who did not want his parents to be on Augusta grounds when he won the masters.

We don't know the whole story with what's gone on with his family.  There are a lot of people who have strained relationships with their parents and don't talk to them.  I don't think that should be something that should be help against Reed here.  He has his side of the story, which I don't think he comments much on, unless I've missed something over the past few years, and they have their side.  There's a chance that both Reed and his parents are at fault for the relationship they have now.

His history at Georgia and his other past transgressions are fair game in terms of criticism.  

I just like watching the guy play golf, especially his short game.  Part of me also enjoys seeing people get angry on social media about him winning.  He has a way of ignoring all of it and still manages to win the tournament.  There are some athletes that I don't care for, but I'm not going to lose sleep over them doing well or winning.  I'm also not going to post negative comments about them on social media either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t know.  I just literally had to put a stop to “ teammates “ and some pretty bad bullying tactics on my kids school  basketball team.  Teammates connotation doesn’t hold much water in my option.  

Exactly....look how Bobby Boucher's teammates at SCLSU treated him until he proved his mettle!

• Haha 3

Damn I love it when Reed wins! This place turns into a madhouse. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

That is allowed when taking relief from a plugged lie.

I thought I heard the rules guy say the ball could not be cleaned

PXG SD 58*

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t know.  I just literally had to put a stop to “ teammates “ and some pretty bad bullying tactics on my kids school  basketball team.  Teammates connotation doesn’t hold much water in my option.  

Yea, Norlander was a  College teammate and he said Patrick Reed has treated him so nice the last year and a half.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

2 hours ago, markheardjr said:

Rory has credibility, and also, in my opinion a plausible reason....the ball bounced, and landed right back in its own pitch mark. Which is easily possible. Reed's ball jumped forward a few feet, maybe 1 foot in the air after a low pulled wedge. Rory's ball was a towering/ballooning 5i that dropped straight down, bounced up 1 foot and fell right back down. Did not bounce forward.

Actually, if you watch the video closely, Rory's ball did bounce forward. You can see a dark spot in the grass where his ball initially hits, then when it comes back down, it was ahead of that spot. I watched it a few times just out of curiosity given the similarities in the situations with McIlroy and Reed.

2 hours ago, Olddoncarlo said:

After the Lexi Thompson debacle, the rules for video footage were changed. This is copied from a foxsports.com article explaining them:

"(1) the “naked eye” standard (if video shows the existence of a breach of the Rules based on facts the player was not aware of at the time and that could not reasonably have been seen with the naked eye, there will be no penalty), and (2) the “reasonable judgment” standard (if a player does all that can reasonably be expected in making a determination about a spot, area, point, line, distance or other location in applying the Rules, the player’s reasonable judgment will be upheld even if later shown to be wrong by video evidence or other information.)"

and (and the underlined bit is important here)

"The Decision does not eliminate the overall use of video review or the practice of fans “calling in” ... but it will be effective in addressing situations where television brings to light evidence that could not have otherwise been known to the player (or anyone else nearby). Such evidence should not be used to hold players to a higher standard than human beings can reasonably be expected to meet."

It’s Mr. Captain America to all of you! And you’ll all be calling him that at Ryder Cup. 
I don’t understand the saltiness. You wanna blame it on Reed but he did it by the book. Then you wanna blame the Tour but the rules are in place and he abides by them. If you wanna blame someone, blame the volunteer or blame the weather for making the grass soft and wet enough where the lawns crew couldn’t mow.

I’m happy he won. The guy has a ton of inner game to deal with garbage tour players talking about him, his family being dinks and the golf fan

base crying because they wouldn’t have played the ball like that. It pays to know the rules. P Reed know that. He just won $$$ because of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

The ball can be cleaned once it is established it was embedded and you are taking relief. If you lift the ball and find that it was not embedded, you cannot clean it and have to replace it.

AH, Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a little odd that he said the ball could not be cleaned.... then it made sense that Reed set his ball down in the grass, without cleaning it, and waited for the ruling. 

PXG SD 58*