2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

High Lofted Wedges - who's a fan??

J_Tizzle

So who here uses a wedge with over 60* of loft?

I have watched my brother utilize a 64* wedge for years with great success, so I finally tried some last year and ended up with a PM 64* wedge and really enjoy it (but only have a handful of rounds since I got it).  The biggest issue I really have found with them is that there are so few options out there over 60*, and trying to space my bag out to cover all the yardages to be able to include such a specialty club.  

What types of wedges have you tried/used and have any tips for people wanting to try the high lofted wedges?

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I also play a 64 degree PM Grind - and a 58. They suit my game - I don't think I've ever used the 64 for a full swing on anything other than an enormous flop or a bunker shot and I have no idea how I far it it, because it's not a distance-gapped club. Same is mostly true for the 58, but I occasionally hit regular, full swing shots with it. I pretty much use my 52 degree wedge for most non-chips between 50m and 110m.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I've dabbled with 64 and 62 over the years. But still find 60 seems to be my sweet spot. 

64 is great in the sand and on short sided shots. But i've found diminishing returns on the normal chips. Hard to get the distance right. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

41 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I've dabbled with 64 and 62 over the years. But still find 60 seems to be my sweet spot. 

64 is great in the sand and on short sided shots. But i've found diminishing returns on the normal chips. Hard to get the distance right. 

Yeah, to me they are a specialty club, short sided or a pin tucked right over a bunker.  If the lie is good I can open the 58* no issue so....  The short time I dabbled I just didn't use it that often.  To me it's the club I wish I had once every 5 rounds.  If you played a lot of courses with small, fast elevated greens than I think it would come in handy more often.  If they raised the limit on clubs you can carry to 16 I'd probably bag one.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Yeah, to me they are a specialty club, short sided or a pin tucked right over a bunker.  If the lie is good I can open the 58* no issue so....  The short time I dabbled I just didn't use it that often.  To me it's the club I wish I had once every 5 rounds.  If you played a lot of courses with small, fast elevated greens than I think it would come in handy more often.  If they raised the limit on clubs you can carry to 16 I'd probably bag one.  

Yeah I'm debating about changing my set up to be W / 52 / 58 / 64 rather than W / 50/ 55 / 60 / 64, I just kind of lose the 55 in the scenario.  But I think the 52/58 should be able to cover the loss pretty easily.  This has basically been my huge issue with finding a spot for it in the bag.  Switching to the 4 wedge set up with the 64* will still allow me to have my driving iron for tee shots and put in a hybrid/5w for those pesky 230 yard shots I need to hit higher than knee-high.

I will say my brother and his 64* very much treated it as a specialty club for a long time and eventually evolved to where he hits it from about 80 yards and in (assuming he doesn't need to drive it in low), and its just more of a tool for him.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I added a Vokey SM8 62M to the bag a couple months ago. Most of our greens are elevated and thought I’d only use it for green-side shots but have found I hit it really well on shots 75 yards and less.

Required some practice to gain confidence but has proven very useful.  Works really well off tight winter lies too. 

Big fan of my 64* wedge.  Don’t know how I lived without it.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

5 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Yeah I'm debating about changing my set up to be W / 52 / 58 / 64 rather than W / 50/ 55 / 60 / 64, I just kind of lose the 55 in the scenario.  But I think the 52/58 should be able to cover the loss pretty easily.  This has basically been my huge issue with finding a spot for it in the bag.  Switching to the 4 wedge set up with the 64* will still allow me to have my driving iron for tee shots and put in a hybrid/5w for those pesky 230 yard shots I need to hit higher than knee-high.

I will say my brother and his 64* very much treated it as a specialty club for a long time and eventually evolved to where he hits it from about 80 yards and in (assuming he doesn't need to drive it in low), and its just more of a tool for him.  

I changed to that same set up 3 years ago.  I eliminated a 56 and 60 and swapped with a 58.  It didn't take long to make the adjustment.  I use the 64 for bunkers, front pins and short sided shots.  I never try to hit it more than about 3/4.  Harder than that doesn't necessarily go any longer, just mostly higher. 

7 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I play a 60 bent to 62, along with 50/54/58.

I previously thought about going 52/58, but based on my Arccos data, I use each of my 5 wedges more than any other clubs (other than driver/putter).

So I went with larger loft gaps at the top of the bag: 2I, 4H, strong 6 iron (P790), and 7-W. Works well for the courses I play where I have a bunch of wedges into greens. Depending on your driving distance and your most frequent approach yardages, 5 wedges might not be all that crazy....

• Like 1

TS3 8.5 Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
X2Hot 2deep (12.5) Diamana Blueboard 83x
Cobra F8+ (17.5) Fujikura Pro95 X or P790 UDI Modus 130X or Titleist 818H2 17/19/21 Atmos Black 9X

P790 4,6 PXG 0311T 7-W DG X7
Glide 2.0 50SS, Vokey SM7 54F 58D, Hi Toe 60 (bent to 62)
Nike Method 007
Pro V1 (2017)

Backup:
M1 440 9.5 Aldila Rouge Silver 70X
Xhot Pro 15 Aldila Rogue Black 80X
R15 Hybrids: 17, 19 Rogue 115 MSI 85H TourX , Accra Tour Z, Hzrdus Black...and more shafts than I can count
712U 2 DG TI X100
Tour Preferred (2014) 4-5 MC, 6-pw MB, DG TI X100
SM5 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.11K
Nike Method 005

Not this "4".  There are some PGA Tour guys that use wedges higher than 60*, like Phil, but they are limited in number for reasons. 

I would NOT suggest one to anyone unless the person knows the extent of practice needed, so it doesn't cost more strokes than it saves; 62/64* wedges are just too limited.  Though I have five 60* LW's, I haven't seen much value in them.   The Reason is Vokey 58/8 M not only gives me a bit more full-shot distance than higher lofted wedges, the M grind allows me to make any shot that I can make using 62/64.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Anything above 58, for me, loses its utility.  At a certain point, high loft only becomes useful for very specific shots that I'm capable of accomplishing by manipulating the face on wedges with less loft. 

For example, I can open up my 56 and hit soft flops around the green almost as easily as I can a 60+...but I can also trust it on full/partial shots out of the fairway.  The bad results with a 56 are rarely as disasterous as the bad results with a 60+ for me.

I used to have a 64 as a permanent fixture in my bag, but it was really only there for one particular course I used to play where virtually every green was both elevated and bermed. If you ended up on the wrong side of the berm and short sided, the extra loft was a super big help. Definitely useful in those conditions, and I practiced enough to have good confidence in the club.

Since I don't play that course nearly as much these days, I don't carry that club regularly anymore and stop at a regular 60 with 4 degrees of bounce.

I’ll carry a 64 on heavily bunkered courses or courses with a bunch of elevated greens.  If those boxes aren’t checked I drop the 3 wood back into the bag

• Like 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Not sure why such trepidation about hitting a club with 4* more loft (than the 60 most(?) of us carry). I guess it's because one has to take what one thinks it such a full swing to hit the ball such a short distance ? But again, it's only another 4*.

Anywho, I started playing a 64* wedge because of a single hole at my home course. "Easily" drivable par 4 but with a tree line right down the line between the tee and the green AND OB left.

The last tree had to be flown through,,,,,,,,, so it would knock the ball down into the front bunker, let the ball go straight through and over the back of the green (where one would now have a problem just making par), deflect the ball to the left and OB, OR deflect it just a little bit and stay on the green for an eagle chance.

Given 2 of the 4 were totally unacceptable most guys began playing the hole as designed, to the fairway to the right. That left a 3-50 yard pitch to an elevated and often rock hard green which would often let an "only" 60* wedge bound over the back of the green. TEAR HAIR.gif

That's when I began playing the 64*, which, as mentioned earlier is very convenient when one short sides oneself and in very deep greenside bunkers..

Don't have one in the bag presently because I like my 4 wedges to match. I find it helps with feel, tempo, etc and Ping doesn't make a forged Glide in 64.

But I'm experimenting with the PM Grind in 56*. Problem(?) there is Cally doesn't make the PM grind in 48 or 52. bang head.gif

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Yeah. I have a cheapy stainless professional open 68° 0 bounce wedge that's a lot of fun to hit. I have only had it on the course once so far this year as it's the newest addition to the growing fleet of clubs. Have only used it twice while scoring and had success both times in regards to desired outcomes and intended target. Practicing with it at the house has taught me the risk of this club is about 40% trying to flop to 3-5 feet. Personal swing issues. Like a hair trigger, it can be easily chunked or bladed. I'll keep it in the bag a little longer to play with it. 

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Bought the PM 64* for Bethpage Black. The green side rough is unfair and it's really scary pitching without it. It's also like cheating from bunkers. I don't really like it for shots outside 50-60 yards. 

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

"Trepidation" = I do NOT believe that has anything to do with the reasoning of any decently skilled golfer not wanting a 62-64' wedge.  Wedges with that high of loft are simply too shot limited.  I, want every club in my bag useable for diverse shots.  A controlled 64' full shot is worth 50-60yds max, reason it's not that popular on the tour. 

It's only good for certain conditions and if someone spends a lot of time in bunkers.  Though I am a decent bunker player, I try not to be there. LOL  I can open my 58' and do anything that is done with 64', except full swing 58' carries as much as 90yds for me.  On the other hand, I seldom use 58' for full swing when 52' is more often a better choice.

The other day greens were fast, 58' had too much back-spin, so the better choice was dead-handed 52', even PW twice, and 9i for 50yd baby pitch into an uphill rise, ball hit it, bounce forward and rolled over the crest and to a back pin 4', save par.  Again, none of those shots would have benefited from a 62-64' wedge. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

When I practice around the green, I usually practice with a low bounce wedge like a Gap or a PW but use a higher bounce sand wedge when playing for real.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Reminds me of a co-worker who created a "non-lob LW" back in the 1980s.

It started with a minor disaster. He had leaned his PW against a riding cart, and a clumsy cart mate tripped over it, and snapped the shaft just below the grip.

Just for fun, co-worker trimmed off the shaft to a smooth edge, and regripped it. Suddenly, he had a dangerous BW ("baby wedge") with only a 24-inch shaft. He became deadly with greenside up-and downs.

P.S. He bought a standard length replacement PW for shots outside 30 yards.

Edited by ChipNRun
Spelling.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Interesting opinions on if a 64* is even necessary, but of course I say a lot of it is really dependent on your spacing throughout your bag and what you're comfortable with.  I won't say a 64* wedge is any less useful than a 4i for a lot of players, for example.  I think it just needs to fit into your line up and serve a purpose.  I have fit my bag to include a 18* 5w and a 20* 3i that goes basically the same distance, but I need the high launch of the 5w to hit into 3-4  greens at my home course, where the 3i is used off about 3 tees, combine that with my W/52/58/64 spacing, I can cover about everything from 60-250 with a full swing, lol.

Like you look at Sergio's bag, he plays D - 3w  - 5w - 3-W - 52 - 58 - putter.  I think 90%+ golfers on here would benefit more from options inside 100 yards than the differences between the 5w/3i/4i.  I'm not telling Sergio he's doing it wrong of course, lol.  Saying a specialty cl

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 12:08 PM, Pepperturbo said:

"Trepidation" = I do NOT believe that has anything to do with the reasoning of any decently skilled golfer not wanting a 62-64' wedge.  Wedges with that high of loft are simply too shot limited.  I, want every club in my bag useable for diverse shots.  A controlled 64' full shot is worth 50-60yds max, reason it's not that popular on the tour. 

It's only good for certain conditions and if someone spends a lot of time in bunkers.  Though I am a decent bunker player, I try not to be there. LOL  I can open my 58' and do anything that is done with 64', except full swing 58' carries as much as 90yds for me.  On the other hand, I seldom use 58' for full swing when 52' is more often a better choice.

The other day greens were fast, 58' had too much back-spin, so the better choice was dead-handed 52', even PW twice, and 9i for 50yd baby pitch into an uphill rise, ball hit it, bounce forward and rolled over the crest and to a back pin 4', save par.  Again, none of those shots would have benefited from a 62-64' wedge. 

I just fall back to the try it and find out what works for you. 

I think they're less popular on tour for a number of reasons, the guys have multiple wedges in the same loft they change for the conditions of the course (they can easily swap in a low bounce 60* from the tour truck when they have tight lies, or switch to higher bounce/grinds if conditions necessitate), they're also the best players in the world so their skills don't hurt either, so that allows them to manipulate the club in ways we just don't possess the skill/time to learn.  Thats one of the big things I actually like about the 64*, I don't have to manipulate it at all for high shots around the green, where you might open up your 58* to hit a 20 yard pitch into a green, I can just square face a 64*.  It takes a while to get the hang of for sure and not for everyone, but I think its found the way into my bag for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I just fall back to the try it and find out what works for you. 

I think they're less popular on tour for a number of reasons, the guys have multiple wedges in the same loft they change for the conditions of the course (they can easily swap in a low bounce 60* from the tour truck when they have tight lies, or switch to higher bounce/grinds if conditions necessitate), they're also the best players in the world so their skills don't hurt either, so that allows them to manipulate the club in ways we just don't possess the skill/time to learn.  Thats one of the big things I actually like about the 64*, I don't have to manipulate it at all for high shots around the green, where you might open up your 58* to hit a 20 yard pitch into a green, I can just square face a 64*.  It takes a while to get the hang of for sure and not for everyone, but I think its found the way into my bag for sure.

I am NOT going to mess with them because I tested them when they were first introduced.  Didn't see the value then and don't today. 

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey