Wayne Player Banned from Augusta

Phireside

13 hours ago, mizuno player said:

I don't believe the argument that other golfers display their sponsors. 

1). Wayne is not a player. Caddies at Augusta all wear the same exact uniform. No sponsors logos anywhere. 

2). To the best of my knowledge he isn't a pro golfer. 

3). The way he did it trying to be "sly" about it. He knew he needed to be on the down low. 

Lastly, the tee ceremony is about the players. Always has been. It was a dick move at best. 

There is 'active' branding and 'passive' branding.

Passive branding is normal and expected...wearing a hat with a logo...name of club manufacturer on bag, etc.

Active branding is calling out a sponsor, 'Boy these Titleist balls really did the trick today.' Or doing what Player did...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Good post.   

I can only offer one possible reason.  Large, traditional organizations are inherently slow to change.  And private clubs can do what they want, which makes the prospect of change even more difficult. 

Also, we have a perspective of looking from the outside in.  They are in the perspective of inside looking out.  Let's be honest, we often join country clubs and golf clubs ourselves because we want to avoid the general public and the issues that playing golf at public facilities brings.  if you are inside your private club your perspective is likely, "We like what we currently have.  We like the current members.  We like our make-up and we like our culture."  Making a change when everything seems "good" has to be tough.

Really the only times the private club membership policies come into scrutiny is when the large open type tournaments come to them.  One of the old line true clubs (in the US model sense not the GBI sense) was pressured to admit women or be dropped from The Open Rota.  I don't recall much issue surrounding private clubs in the US due to the US Open coming around but I bet there was some at some point.

I know speaking from a large organization standpoint it is a difficult sell to make a change in hopes it makes things better when things are already going pretty well for you.  The spirit of continuous improvement takes a while to get ingrained if the "it ain't broke..." mindset pervades.

• Like 1

Professional sports now is all about how much your name is worth.  And its now getting worse in golf, with the popularity rise the game has seen in the past year or so.

Jack, Gary and Arnie were all fantastic golfers, but all became rich because they knew how to market their name.  Same for guys like Greg Norman.  Or even Tiger Woods.  For the "big three", they've all talked (at length) about how little they played for on Tour, especially compared to now.  Lee Trevino called the Senior Tour his "annuity" because he made so much more there than on the regular Tour.  They all became businessmen, and they've used golf as the vehicle...while they've certainly given back to the game, they've also gotten rich off the game without playing it professionally in the past three decades.

Players now are like walking NASCAR stock cars, with ads/sponsorships on their shirts, hats, pants, bags, clubs, balls, etc.  If there's one thing about the pro game that is starting to bother me, its that.  You're now weird if you're on Tour and not fully sponsored from head to toe, including clubs and balls.

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

not sure if anyone remembers -- but the commercials for the golf hall of fame originally did NOT have gary player in them. apparently his pr group caused a stink and that's why he's in it now, and says '...and the black knight!' ...with emphasis. 

gary player, his son and anyone else similar can hit the road. the 'look at me' nature of that family is unreal -- wins or not, takes no talent to be a decent person. don't be an a**hat. 

Bingo, this is essentially what I meant by my first comment. It's clear he craves attention and the list of things he wouldn't promote if they paid him is extremely short.

I forgot which tournament it was, perhaps the 2020 Masters? But they had a similar first tee ceremony and GP was all sprawled out on the ground in front of everyone trying to fill as much of the picture as possible.

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Again I find it actually amazing that you can't discern the difference.

I mean, on the one hand you have guy's bag with his name on it along with a really well known golf brand to literally anyone who would give a s*** enough about golf to watch the Masters opening ceremony, and it is out of frame when they show the closeup of Lee.

On the other, you have a guy holding a sleeve of god knows what brand golf balls, intentionally in frame of the camera that is being used for a closeup of Lee.

It's the same thing, really.

Edited by One Putter
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, toc said:

Even if Gary was behind the product placement decision, is anyone making purchases based off a Gary Player endorsement?

yes, coupled with the price.  Gary players endorsement lends credibility to a brand that is relatively unknown.  Most of us will conclude if a “real” golfer endorses the brand, it must be a “real” ball.  Then, when price shopping for the next dozen, more people may decide to give it a try.  

33 minutes ago, One Putter said:

I mean, on the one hand you have guy's bag with his name on it along with a really well known golf brand to literally anyone who would give a s*** enough about golf to watch the Masters opening ceremony, and it is out of frame when they show the closeup of Lee.

On the other, you have a guy holding a sleeve of god knows what brand golf balls, intentionally in frame of the camera that is being used for a closeup of Lee.

It's the same thing, really.

no, because one company pays a ton of money in advertising directly to the PGA tour and its TV partners.  The other doesn’t.

17 hours ago, farmer said:

Me and about 10 other people walked 9 holes right along with Gary in a practice round.  He put on a clinic and could not have been more gracious.  Talked to everyone, answered even stupid questions, told stories, could not have been nicer.  Followed Snead in a practice round during the same time frame (early 70's) and he was a dick.

yeah, There’s lots of celebrities who are overly fake friendly to fans but are a#$hats in real life.  They aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

His son Marc seems like a complete tool as well.  Apparently Gary is suing him and his company and was awarded 5 million.  The entire family seems like a bunch of self promoting self centered, dysfunctional narcistic egomaniacs.   The fact that Marc is gloating about this on the socials says all you need to know about the fool.  

Also sounds like another just riding the Gary train. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ctmason_98 said:

Well he’s in the news so...probably. 

You got a point there.  

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

3 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

His son Marc seems like a complete tool as well.  Apparently Gary is suing him and his company and was awarded 5 million.  The entire family seems like a bunch of self promoting self centered, dysfunctional narcistic egomaniacs.   The fact that Marc is gloating about this on the socials says all you need to know about the fool.  

Wouldn't be surprised to see Marc banned from ANGC for announcing that Wayne has been banned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chigolfer1 said:

Careful, before you get us all banned!

I wonder if Augusta actually cares for Gary.  I know he's a nine-time major champion and he's one of the most prolific winners in the game, his name still carries some weight, so on and so forth.... but if this is Gary's kid I can't help but think that if Gary wasn't Gary, or, if Gary wasn't quite as prolific, might not he be banned by now too? 

In other words, I'm curious if Augusta likes Gary because they think he's a great dude and the membership loves him - or - is it like "F*uck Gary is here guys.  It'll be over soon." 

Edited by ebrasmus21
  • Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

2 minutes ago, ebrasmus21 said:

I wonder if Augusta actually cares for Gary.  I know he's a nine-time major champion and he's one of the most prolific winners in the game, his name still carries some weight, so on and so forth.... but if this is Gary's kid I can't help but think that if Gary wasn't Gary, or, if Gary wasn't quite as prolific, might not he be banned by now too? 

In other words, I'm curious if Augusta likes Gary because they think he's a great dude and the membership loves him - or - is it like "F*uck Gary is here guys.  It'll be over soon." 

Who knows but, in fairness, if it's the latter, I'm sure Gary isn't the only Masters champ that they have this attitude about.  And, no, I am not talking about any particular player, just that odds tell you that every winner that is still going there isn't a "great guy."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

Who knows but, in fairness, if it's the latter, I'm sure Gary isn't the only Masters champ that they have this attitude about.  And, no, I am not talking about any particular player, just that odds tell you that every winner that is still going there isn't a "great guy."

have no knowledge of anything, but I would also venture to say I'm sure the club isn't exactly over the hill about every champion. I'd also add, I'm sure there are some champions kids who probably walk around those grounds like they won. 

8 hours ago, smashdn said:

I assume Patrick Reed has some sort of microwavable dinner brand he is behind.

Actual LOL 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

20 hours ago, tatertot said:

Tell him thanks for the memories and not to let the door hit him on the way out.

And send back the Green Jacket you took without permission. 

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

6 hours ago, gioguy21 said:

Heck, David Simms hates little dogs!!!!!!!

And old people and kids.

• Haha 1