2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New TM Mini coming?

bigmoneyp

5 hours ago, Circaflex said:

What type of player is this gear towards?

I've tried out minis before - multiple ones actually - and I still have no clue who they are marketed towards.

When I got fit for a driver a couple years back, even with a pretty decent SS (~106) I was fit into a 12* driver cranked down one notch, so right in this neighborhood loftwise. I also choke down a couple inches on a 45" shaft so again, in the neighborhood. What does this bring me off the tee? Or let me flip that around - if you are looking at the mini why would you not consider a higher lofted driver with 50% more size/forgiveness?

All that being said - I fricking LOVE the look of this...so...its 50-50 that I buy this one too. Or 95-5, whatever....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

I've tried out minis before - multiple ones actually - and I still have no clue who they are marketed towards.

When I got fit for a driver a couple years back, even with a pretty decent SS (~106) I was fit into a 12* driver cranked down one notch, so right in this neighborhood loftwise. I also choke down a couple inches on a 45" shaft so again, in the neighborhood. What does this bring me off the tee? Or let me flip that around - if you are looking at the mini why would you not consider a higher lofted driver with 50% more size/forgiveness?

All that being said - I fricking LOVE the look of this...so...its 50-50 that I buy this one too. Or 95-5, whatever....

They are marketed at two groups of people IMO. Most folks on here, that are interested, are looking to knock spin way down, don't need the forgiveness...and like to hit low flat fairway finders. For the masses that swear they can't hit a driver, but can hit a fairway wood, this is a mid-way alternative. Its bigger than a fairway wood but more loft than a driver. Or its just a large 2wd to them to fill in a gap between 15° FWY wood and a their driver.

I have hit the Original One, it is stupid low spin. And I hit the 11° lower than my 8.5° driver, much flatter trajectory. I hit my Sim 3wd 245y and my driver 255y stock. For whatever reason, confidence, spin, who knows, I can absolutely smash my 3wd and "overswing" on it to get it into the 260-270y range off the deck. My driver when i overswing is just a high right fade that still only goes 255y. I have put the same shafts in both, I have swapped shafts in between. I have tried the 65, 75 & 85g version of the same shaft in both 3w & driver. Same results. 3wd smashes, driver is meh.  So i'm interested to try the new mini, already had 4 shafts to try in it.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

12 hours ago, Circaflex said:

What type of player is this gear towards?

Personally it’s a good club for my home course as we’re short and tree lined. The par 5s don’t require a 3/4 wood approach for me, but some of the shorter par 4s do require a more accurate tee shot than my main driver.  

7 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

if you are looking at the mini why would you not consider a higher lofted driver with 50% more size/forgiveness?

For me, I have my gamer driver as well as a second driver built that I swap in and out with my 4 wood. The second driver is a TS2 10.5* lofted at 12*. It’s 42 1/2” long, but it still goes a touch too far for what I’m looking for out of this type of club. Also, the benefit of being able to loft down from 13.5 instead of up from 10.5 is better for my misses. 

1 hour ago, holdenapair said:

For those who game this behind a std driver, what sits between this and your next club down? 5w, utility/hybrid?

In my set up it would likely be driver, mini, then my hybrid and that would make up the top end of my bag. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I love my Original One 11.5* and don't think I'll ever get rid of it.  That said, it's not my everyday driver that's in the bag.  I play a SIM 9*/Ventus Black 6 combo on most course layouts where I live but there are a few narrow tracks where I'll drop the SIM and opt for the mini driver.  In terms of yardage it sits between my 3W and Driver but offers me really predictable performance off the tee when I need it.

I'm a big fan of giving consumers options and this definitely checks that box.  It's not for every golfer but it gives people an option on tighter courses or gives the player who struggles with a driver an option off the tee that will be easier to hit than a 3 wood.  Really interested to see this next variation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, holdenapair said:

For those who game this behind a std driver, what sits between this and your next club down? 5w, utility/hybrid?

I generally go Driver, OO 13.5, 20 hybrid. I am toying with a 5W though because the distance gap between the OO and 20 hybrid is obnoxious. 40 yards or so.

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:09 AM, nosedive32 said:

Should we expect Callaway to attempt to create an Epic Mini to sway Phil away from the Original One and compete with this rumored 300 Mini?

The Bertha Mini didn't seem to have near the success of any of the 3 TM iterations of the mini-driver.

If they come out with an Epic mini, I will be first in line to buy one.

Edited by bjh1

Mid July release for the Mini Driver. I think it hit the USGA conforming list early as someone is looking to put it in play soon on Tour. 

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

I think these types of clubs are going to rise in popularity due to the Bryson effect.  As people experiment with longer driver setups it might beneficial to have a long drive type driver for holes where you have some room and would benefit from the extra distance then for more "normal" holes where accuracy is at a premium you use the mini driver as your controlled fairway finder that's 20-30yds shorter.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

1 minute ago, J13 said:

I think these types of clubs are going to rise in popularity due to the Bryson effect.  As people experiment with longer driver setups it might beneficial to have a long drive type driver for holes where you have some room and would benefit from the extra distance then for more "normal" holes where accuracy is at a premium you use the mini driver as your controlled fairway finder that's 20-30yds shorter.

Eh. 

Like I said I've been buying/using/BSTing minis for....7 years now? I was on the TM trip to Dallas when they kicked off the first Mini release which I think was 2014? So 7 years of different mini ideas and I just havent seen it take off.

I dont know. But like I said, its not going to stop me buying/trying this one either.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

4 minutes ago, J13 said:

Couldn't agree more. Especially at courses where a 3 wood won't be used due to length and not needed for shots into par 5s. 

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

33 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Eh. 

Like I said I've been buying/using/BSTing minis for....7 years now? I was on the TM trip to Dallas when they kicked off the first Mini release which I think was 2014? So 7 years of different mini ideas and I just havent seen it take off.

I dont know. But like I said, its not going to stop me buying/trying this one either.

Yes but they keep making them so that tells you they are selling well.  OEM's have figured out it's better to do small runs of niche products and it can be profitable.  I've had the same experience as you with mini drivers but I could see me experimenting with a 46.5" driver then 44" mini 

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

4 hours ago, J13 said:

For me it could also help with hitting a different shape drive. I cannot draw my 46” driver and don’t want to. But if a shorter mini driver was something I could draw a little bit that could be nifty to have since I rarely need anything beyond a 5 wood normally

There are some people that can hit their mini off the deck and use it as a 2 wood. Phil has hit his off the deck numerous times and seems fond of it. I can hit mine off the deck more reliably than a 3 wood for whatever reason. It's similar to a driving iron I feel. Not everyone needs one for off the tee and not everyone can hit it off the deck, but there is a combination of using it where enough people fall in one of the two categories or a combination of both. I just really love the OO Mini can couldn't imagine not having it in the bag. 

• Like 1

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

13 minutes ago, adh2k1 said:

There are some people that can hit their mini off the deck and use it as a 2 wood. Phil has hit his off the deck numerous times and seems fond of it. I can hit mine off the deck more reliably than a 3 wood for whatever reason. It's similar to a driving iron I feel. Not everyone needs one for off the tee and not everyone can hit it off the deck, but there is a combination of using it where enough people fall in one of the two categories or a combination of both. I just really love the OO Mini can couldn't imagine not having it in the bag. 

Nice.  The mini's arent really too hard to put together who they are for, they are for those who can get the most use out of them lol.  I use mine in the same way as you, basically as a 2 wood and use it off the tee and deck, and it my favorite, most trusted club in the bag and has been since the SLDR mini came out.  No ridic gaps, no redundancy, no confusion.....great club.  

A common feedback on minis seem to be that you can do X to this club and get the same thing, or why not get X instead?  Kind of missing the utility of them at that rate, and most clubs in the bag could probs cover for another when manipulated.  

Edited by bubbagump

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

2 minutes ago, TaylorMade Golf said:

Wait?...what?...there's a new (old) mini coming? We're in.

bro you cant just nonchalant show up like this. bring some deets!

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

11 minutes ago, TaylorMade Golf said:

You should just stamp them all T##### B3 to mess with all of us. Tour Issue 300 to the moon!!!!!!!!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

2 hours ago, TaylorMade Golf said:

The first time you dropped one, the GOAT was building me one straight out of the van...just saying...

(and yes I fanboyed and had him sign my headcover)

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 7.14.03 PM.jpg

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 6/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, dcmidnight said:

I've always assumed the market was aimed squarely at the demographic that favored smaller driver heads and shorter playing lengths, guys that were in their mid 20's/30's back in the early 2000's who we regularly hear say "I played X driver back in college and loved it". Usually a Titleist or Taylormade driver from that period in the 300cc range. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

The OO is the best (and only) driver I've ever been able to hit consistently off the tee. Never have much trouble off the deck either.

Love the looks, feel, solid feeling off the face. Taylormade nailed it.

I hope the new one is just as good in those areas. If they make it easier to hit off the deck, it will be a knock out.

Any pics of the crown etc?

On 5/31/2021 at 11:42 PM, grm24 said:

The Original One Mini Driver from 2019 was $399.99 upon release. No doubt this new version will be priced the same or higher. Wonder how many uninformed people will run out and buy the new version thinking it's the same TM OO mini driver Phil won the PGA with.

I doubt there will be many. If someone is aware that Phil had an Original One in the bag, they're informed enough to know the difference.

What if he puts a 300 mini in at Torrey? That would be something. 😄

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

17 hours ago, adh2k1 said:

I hit my OG of the deck a few times. It was never that difficult. Mostly I used it off the tee as a two wood. I kinda regret getting rid of it. But I wanted to fund something else. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have been experimenting with various cheaper versions of the mini for my driving woes. I have finally settled on a 98 Big Bertha 12 driver (womens) that I got on ebay for $15. Its 17-4 SS. So far I have hit is straighter than anything I have tried and maybe am only 20 yards shorter at most than my 9.5 driver. It has an 84 gram 43.5" 3 wood shaft and lead tape to get it to 205 grams. The head size is similar to smaller fairway woods at 150 cc but is actually 195 cc because it has a deeper face, which is what I really need.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 6/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, J13 said:

Yes but they keep making them so that tells you they are selling well.  OEM's have figured out it's better to do small runs of niche products and it can be profitable.  I've had the same experience as you with mini drivers but I could see me experimenting with a 46.5" driver then 44" mini 

“Selling well” and “being profitable” are usually not feasible on niche products that fill a (for the most part) not required role when it comes to “tools”.  They’re still trying, so it must be at least close!  Maybe this time!

On 6/2/2021 at 2:08 AM, holdenapair said:

I go OO, then 3 wood, 3 utility.

The OO mini is very close to standard driver distance. It also has the versatility to be my 2 wood distance off the deck.

Its basically an extra club in the top end of the bag, and opens up more options.

Edited by Clubhoe

I played the first one that came out in the SLDR family and liked it. Upgraded to the OO and yes, it is a low screamer. But it's pretty easy to hit off the deck. Another poster called it a 2-wood with a bigger head and I could not agree more. I dumped my traditional 3-wood for the original SLDR mini-driver and have never looked back.