2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

i210 magic dust

thl9077

Hallelujah!  I FINALLY found a set of lefty i210 for a great price and they are like-new.  Wrong shafts, but I'm putting Recoil 110's in them anyway, so I had to jump on them.  I'm extremely excited to jump on the i210 bandwagon.  I'm hoping they flight a bit lower than my G25's with the same distance.  It was between the i210 and JPX921 SEL.  I think the Mizunos might have been a bit too demanding, and they cost quite a bit more, so I believe I made the right choice.  The anticipation is killing me! 🤪

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

1 hour ago, drumdude96 said:

Hallelujah!  I FINALLY found a set of lefty i210 for a great price and they are like-new.  Wrong shafts, but I'm putting Recoil 110's in them anyway, so I had to jump on them.  I'm extremely excited to jump on the i210 bandwagon.  I'm hoping they flight a bit lower than my G25's with the same distance.  It was between the i210 and JPX921 SEL.  I think the Mizunos might have been a bit too demanding, and they cost quite a bit more, so I believe I made the right choice.  The anticipation is killing me! 🤪

Strong choice imo. I switched to the SEL's at the beginning of the year, but put the i210's back in the bag mid-May. The SEL's are nice, but I can't afford to be a club shorter with them vs. the i210s. And don't tell anyone but I think the i210's feel quite a bit better than the SEL's.

Signature!

9 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I'm loving my i210s but for different reasons.....these are NOT distance irons.....I don't think they will fly as far as the G425s....they will be probably the most CONSISTENT irons you've played.....really tight dispersion especially in carry yardages. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

I'm loving my i210s but for different reasons.....these are NOT distance irons.....I don't think they will fly as far as the G425s....they will be probably the most CONSISTENT irons you've played.....really tight dispersion especially in carry yardages. 

I have G25s, not G425s. The lofts are very similar between the G25 and i210, so I assume they will go around the same distance.  I definitely want a little lower trajectory and more workability than I get with the G25. I expect the i210 will deliver.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

8 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I have G25s, not G425s. The lofts are very similar between the G25 and i210, so I assume they will go around the same distance.  I definitely want a little lower trajectory and more workability than I get with the G25. I expect the i210 will deliver.

My bad and I hope they work as expected .....I'm lefty also and these have been a DREAM to play! 4-U  and I added glide wedges 2.0 54/60 .....the 60 is the low bounce TS grind and it is quickly becoming my favorite.  

Edited by SwooshLT
  • Like 1

I’m not all that well versed with Maltbys mpf  ratings but why do the i200 and i210 rate so low on his chart ?  I came from SGI hollow body irons to i200’s and find them pretty easy to hit and decently forgiving. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

I’m not all that well versed with Maltbys mpf  ratings but why do the i200 and i210 rate so low on his chart ?  I came from SGI hollow body irons to i200’s and find them pretty easy to hit and decently forgiving. 

The main reason is that Maltby’s calculation isn’t advanced enough to take the magic fairy dust into account, and only considers their oddly high vertical CG.

• Haha 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

11 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

The main reason is that Maltby’s calculation isn’t advanced enough to take the magic fairy dust into account, and only considers their oddly high vertical CG.

So the high cG is what drives the i200-210 score down?  

Ping 2023 Anser D

2 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

So the high cG is what drives the i200-210 score down?  

Yes, but it has to be that way for them to function. Their makeup is unusual. They are the size and general weighting configuration of a game improvement set, but with the lofts of a conventional players model. If Ping left the CG in place, they would have a wildly high launch characteristic. Instead, they took some of the sole area and distributed it around the perimeter, which makes them unusually stable (and accurate) for a player’s model. For the i210, it’s even higher than the i200, which allowed them to apply the magic (hydro pearl) dust and add micro grooves, both of which contribute to their high level of spin consistency, which again would be too great in a conventional GI head.

Maltby is a useful statistic for general comparison, but it’s not necessarily perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

Yes, but it has to be that way for them to function. Their makeup is unusual. They are the size and general weighting configuration of a game improvement set, but with the lofts of a conventional players model. If Ping left the CG in place, they would have a wildly high launch characteristic. Instead, they took some of the sole area and distributed it around the perimeter, which makes them unusually stable (and accurate) for a player’s model. For the i210, it’s even higher than the i200, which allowed them to apply the magic (hydro pearl) dust and add micro grooves, both of which contribute to their high level of spin consistency, which again would be too great in a conventional GI head.

Maltby is a useful statistic for general comparison, but it’s not necessarily perfect.

Very good explanation. Thanks. 

does the higher CG add spin also?  Reason I ask is when I demo the i210’s in the shop they tend the have the most launch and spin. Granted they are usually weaker lofted than what I normally compare them to but it’s always consistently higher which is what I need. 

back when I used to play the 588 Altitude irons they spun decently well for me. They were around 500 mpF and for an SGI had a higher CG. The newer editions (HB launchers and Turbos) have a higher MPF rating but seek to spin way less for me and gave a lower CG. So I was thinking the CG really impacted spin. 

Edited by erock9174

Ping 2023 Anser D

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

Very good explanation. Thanks. 

does the higher CG add spin also?  Reason I ask is when I demo the i210’s in the shop they tend the have the most launch and spin. Granted they are usually weaker lofted than what I normally compare them to but it’s always consistently higher which is what I need. 

back when I used to play the 588 Altitude irons they spun decently well for me. They were around 500 mpF and for an SGI had a higher CG. The newer editions (HB launchers and Turbos) have a higher MPF rating but seek to spin way less for me and gave a lower CG. So I was thinking the CG really impacted spin. 

Yes, higher CG adds spin.  Its one of the things learned in the Driver CG Wars, as companies learned how to create low spin clubs.

All those early metalwood years where they pushed the CG up for higher speed players, and they were only making it worse for them.  🤔

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Thanks 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

Those ever so "slight" changes.....cg, grooves and hydropearl .....also the additional elastomer......how much do you think the i210 and i200 differ in feel and performance? 

44 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Those ever so "slight" changes.....cg, grooves and hydropearl .....also the additional elastomer......how much do you think the i210 and i200 differ in feel and performance? 

You can pretty much see what Ping did in this picture I think.

B3E92FFF-2A10-4F84-ADD7-A72D4EC8FB37.jpeg.a308db09ba52bf0c3697a1715cbeaa7e.jpeg

The elastomer is far larger and the weight “bar” extends into the middle of the face, raising the CG.

An really excellent comparison is Michael Newton’s -

Ping i210 Iron VS Ping i200 Iron video.

A thing he doesn’t point out (since he is only using a single ball) is that the i210 doesn’t feel much different with a low to moderate compression ball. However, with your typical X series model, they feel significantly softer and tend to remove the annoying clicky feel/sound almost entirely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 5:32 AM, SwooshLT said:

My bad and I hope they work as expected .....I'm lefty also and these have been a DREAM to play! 4-U  and I added glide wedges 2.0 54/60 .....the 60 is the low bounce TS grind and it is quickly becoming my favorite.  

I didn't find the love for the i210, though they were very good, but the Ping wedges are so under the radar it isn't funny.  I LOVE my Glide 2.0 stealths.  My 58/10 has 2 rounds on it with NO practice and I have been hitting all kinds of shots that just die by the hole.  So good.  

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

You can pretty much see what Ping did in this picture I think.

B3E92FFF-2A10-4F84-ADD7-A72D4EC8FB37.jpeg.a308db09ba52bf0c3697a1715cbeaa7e.jpeg

The elastomer is far larger and the weight “bar” extends into the middle of the face, raising the CG.

An really excellent comparison is Michael Newton’s -

Ping i210 Iron VS Ping i200 Iron video.

A thing he doesn’t point out (since he is only using a single ball) is that the i210 doesn’t feel much different with a low to moderate compression ball. However, with your typical X series model, they feel significantly softer and tend to remove the annoying clicky feel/sound almost entirely.

I'm playing 2019 prov1x .....funny you brought this up!

On 6/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, Jeff58 said:

so MPF doesn’t account for MFD but does use vCG.

vry intrstng

• Haha 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

FedEx got me my i210’s yesterday and I opened them up today after a 24 hour work shift. Ordered from PGASS as they were the only place I found new ones in stock. Thought I was getting TT DG S300 but actually received TT DG 120 S300 which is fine by me.  They’re the same weight as my current modus 105 x.  Happy with my purchase so far but haven’t hit them yet. The head size seems to be almost exactly the same as my JPX 919 HMP but with a tad more offset but I knew that already by the specs. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2021 at 1:00 PM, Jeff58 said:

However, with your typical X series model, they feel significantly softer and tend to remove the annoying clicky feel/sound almost entirely.

Not that it means anything about anything but I'll point out that there are a small minority of us out there who LIKE that clicky/feel sound. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:33 AM, nilopol said:

There is another post on here which I'm to lazy to find for you (sorry) that talks about the i210 delivery times.  I ordered 4/16 with expected ship date 6/15 quoted from 2nd swing.  So average seems to be 8-10 week from order to ship.  So I'm still waiting.  I don't exchange clubs often, however this taught me to have a old back up set. 

Update in that my order was now back ordered to Mid July.  Component issue which I believe might be the Px Lz shafts.  Canceled and was lucky enough for a set of PXG 0211 with LZ 6.0 and 1 degree flat lie.  I'm going for it.  

Just picked up my retrofitted set. I really like the Team MCC Plus4 grips but beware they are HEAVY. 

Irons: Ping 210 5-U

Shafts: 110 Recoil Prototype F4 (Custom Black/White)

Ferrules: BB&F Scarlet and Silver

Grips: Team MCC Plus4 Dark Red and White

If you need a fast and efficient builder in the LA area, I recommend contacting Dave with DC Custom Golf

• Like 2

TM M2 10.5° - Diamana BB 60s
15° TEE CB2 - Diamana BB 83s
19° Nike Covert 2.0 - Diamana BB 83s
5-PW Ping i210 - Recoil Prototype 110 F4
50° 54° 58° Cleveland Zipcore - KBS Tour Custom S
SC Classics Newport

I played Callaway foreverrrr, 15+ years and decided to switch things up and try i200. They quickly became my new obsession, absolutely loved them. Upgraded to the i210 and loved them even more. I got greedy and sold them for a set of i500, big mistake, huge! They didn’t treat me well so I sold them and bought a new i210 set. No plans to change irons, pure butter and I would highly recommend them to any serious golfer out there. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 8:29 PM, Tupperwolf said:

That nonsense comes from good intentions but is just that, nonsense.  IMO nobody should consider the "MPF" in any purchase.  It's probably harms more players that use it as a deciding factor than actually helping.  According to his chart the Blueprint irons are suitable for "better players" up to 14 handicap while i210s are "difficult to play" and "for very good players only" up to 5 cap only which is clearly complete horse doo doo.

I suspect some how the 2 clubs got mixed up on the list

Edited by Flip4000

5 hours ago, Redpro said:

I played the Ping i210's a few years ago. I loved them, but turf conditions had to be perfect for me to play them because of the bounce and pronounced ridge on the sole of the club. Then I heard of the Hovland grind. I asked Noah at Bo Hodnett's GolfTec in Plano, Texas about the grind. He explained how he could grind off the ridge and lessen the bounce. I gave him two sets of i210's, one was a bit more aggressive than the first set. I am now getting through the firm turf we have here in DFW and hitting more greens. I think I added to the "magic dust" in my own way and I cannot be happier about the grind. 

Pings.jpg

Bo is awesome, but you have made a critical error.

Bo owns Golf Tech, which is decidedly not Golftec. There was a small legal battle that happened when Golftec decided it was a good idea to tell Bo that he couldn't use their name.

Bo turned around and simply said "I've been here longer, how about YOU stop using MY store's name!" and they both elected to cease the legal argument.

Back to the topic at hand, yeah, i210's are magical. went from PXG 0211's to i210's that I built myself, and I couldn't be happier with how they're doing for me. My first round with them was a 78, which is 2 strokes away from a personal best. I did mess up the ferrule on the U club, though, so I'm going to have to fix that, eventually.

Edited by ShAMbotay
forgot to talk about i210 magic dust
  • Like 1

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet