2021 Solheim Cup

KBong

They need a new competition, Asia vs US and Europe.  I think Asia would have a good chance of winning.

The funny aspect to me is that many of these women played college golf in the US, regardless of their nationality.  So it seems more like an intramural scrum rather than some huge trans-Atlantic battle.  Maybe instead of the current format they could base teams on whether their college golf was east or west of the Mississippi.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

Be thankful there isn't a ladies presidents cup, be finished on the 2nd day

That's true.  I believe the international squad would quite easily mop the floor with either the Euro or US squads......at least on paper.  Of course on paper, the US should have won this one, that's why they play.  Maguire looked like she would have won a stroke play event this week going away.

• Like 1

Despite the onset of college football I resolved to watch as much of the SC as possible although, it should be noted, only via the magic of time compression via DVR.  I even had the discipline to avoid seeing results before watching the remainder of Day 1 on Day 2, for example.

It was probably also to slake my thirst for some meaningful golf in the fall and with the Ryder Cup approaching (finally).  The crass contrivance of the FedEx Cup and the constant references to its Byzantine point system have taken me from apathy to outright hostility and avoidance.

The good (?)

-A rather youthful lineup on both sides.  I can't say I follow the LPGA religiously although most of the names and faces were familiar.

-Maybe, just maybe it struck just the right balance between hype/showbiz and the serious business of the golf?  These are some very serious, committed, determined young women who obtained their spots by being very serious, committed and determined.  It's understandable that pumping up or playing to the crowd is not necessarily in their natures.  On the other hand, the shyness/awkwardness was endearing.

-Nice to have the ceremonies without teams and captains being feted a la the Ryder Cup ie as if they were at the Academy Awards tonight and then launching a mission to the galaxy Andromeda tomorrow.

-I don't know how they nicked Amanda Balionis from another network but she was ace.

-Great course, obviously, and even better weather.  September & October in the Great Lakes region can briefly make you forget what January-August and November-December are like in the Great Lakes region.

-Most of the commentary was topical and even-handed ie none of the flag-waving that NBC just can't resist during the Ryder Cup especially Dan Hicks and his incessant 'Team USA' references.

-With few Euro fans there wasn't a lot of back and forth outside the ropes that might have spilled inside the ropes but that may have been a good thing.

-Lexi Thompson's divots.  I said divots. 🤨

-Tom Abbott is top drawer

-I can relate to a 391 yd par 4.  I can't relate to a 525 yd par 4.

The bad (or less than good)

-As above, with few Euro fans there wasn't a lot of back and forth outside the ropes that might have led to some gamesmanship inside the ropes.

-Politicians being made part of the opening ceremony.  Mike DeWine, crawl back in your hole.

-Even with a relatively finite attendance there were still far too many screamers of the usual variety especially the immediate post-contact types.  Some of the female spectators thought they were at a youth soccer match and gave it far too much 'CMONMEGANYOUGOTTHISKEEPITGOINGHONEY.'

-Slow play.  Match play makes it occasionally more necessary and a smaller field makes it less objectionable but the routines are still too long and fiddly.  If a player began lining up a putt I would routinely FF 15 sec and the player would still not have struck the putt.

-Interviewers asking the 'how do you feel?' question are bad.  Interviewers asking the 'how do you feel?' question in multiple iterations are worse.  Interviewers asking the 'how do you feel?' question in an obvious attempt to elicit tears are worst.

-Incessant interviews with the captains.  They aren't going to reveal anything too private or any strategy prior to matches and they aren't going to give different answers to the same question(s).

-Several announcers seemed disappointed that there wasn't more bad blood, animosity, gamesmanship etc. especially after airing some archive clips of testy moments.

-The ending was an anticlimax wasn't it?  Tricky putt goes in, Cup retained, Bob's your uncle.  Very muted reaction after a long hard slog.  Granted, few Euro fans were there but even the Euro team didn't really go bonkers.

-What happened to the convention of any remaining matches being halved and the players walking in a la Ryder Cup?

-The missus insisted on US Open tennis on the big screen.  Mr Wizard set up iPad Mini connected to smaller screen so he could still FF on the iPad.  Both feeds using YouTubeTV.  Perfect moment for the router & fiber gateway to go on the blink.  Required two resets of each and about a 20 min wait to get sorted. 😤

Edited by chillybilly
  • Like 3

Random thoughts ….

Want to see more young people cheering … not retirees

Bubba … just stay out!

Cannot stand Daniel Kang.

What’s up with the singing and dancing??

The 13th hole … r we that desperate?

It’s not Nelly’s fault.  Stop hating her…

Ally Ewing keep on saying Nelly and I didn’t call rule official…okok…got it.

We need Dottie or Cristy to be our captain…

Kupcho complete embarrassment.

Noh….she is Cute!

July Rankin is total class… the best!!

• Like 2

Read some golf writers' take on the SC this morning.  Consensus seemed to be the US got out-captained and out putted.  The thing that seems to repeat again and again for the US in the SC and RC is the Euros are willing to ride a hot team more than the US and if a match gets to 18 the US underachieves again and again.  The Euros seem to be able to hole the clutch putts more often- men and women- regardless of where the competition is being played.  The result is a lot of US losses, especially in the RC.

As a follower of the LPGA over here in the uk, i have to say overall the SC this year was pretty fair and could’ve gone either way imo. There was some very good golf all around all the players played well throughout the weekend,  and in the end the right result.

good quality golf course, nice to see shared Tees 1st & 10th. A real test. Greens were pretty slow the way i was seeing it. Never seen so many putts pull up short. 

I just think with so much Golf being played the Americans were just exhausted ie last major, olympics  and then SC, that is a tough stretch of golf. 

Europe had the right balance of experience and rookies who all played really well, Mel Reid’s shot to 18 on the Sunday night was lucky but thats golf.

The only downside for me was their was too many ad breaks and the overhanging ball was a joke, how many times has players pick up the ball? Plenty… it would have never dropped imo. that changed the result of that match and may have won the cup for the US Team. 

I like Judy as American commentary she does really know her stuff and I enjoy listening to her 🙂 our UK commentators seemed lacking to me felt that we were so negative as though we could’ve lost the thing. though we did have Dame Laura Davies from time to time though Sky just carried the american feed which was a tad annoying with the amount of breaks but thats what we get for being over the pond. 

not bad, i guess roll on 2023. 

Edited by DavidH88
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Naptime said:

They need a new competition, Asia vs US and Europe.  I think Asia would have a good chance of winning.

The funny aspect to me is that many of these women played college golf in the US, regardless of their nationality.  So it seems more like an intramural scrum rather than some huge trans-Atlantic battle.  Maybe instead of the current format they could base teams on whether their college golf was east or west of the Mississippi.

Captain Obvious 😆

36 minutes ago, DavidH88 said:

I just think with so much Golf being played the Americans were just exhausted ie last major, olympics  and then SC, that is a tough stretch of golf. 

The majority of the Euro team played the same schedule.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, chillybilly said:

-Interviewers asking the 'how do you feel?' question are bad.  Interviewers asking the 'how do you feel?' question in multiple iterations are worse.  Interviewers asking the 'how do you feel?' question in an obvious attempt to elicit tears are worst.

This for sure...and Kay may have been the worst at this, not to mention her UMMMMMs.  She doesn't seem to do it with the on course commentary, but as soon as question time came, we heard more UMMMMS than actual questions.  

• Like 1

@18majors this is creating a bit of a stir in twitterland... whether true or not, i dunno... you're the writer 😛    btw, angela stanford  refuted it but then why should she need to do that?  seriously, i thought this was part of "the game" - eg mental games... (don't remember what golf team event happened where similar stories were or werent invented - by tiger woods? or was it nba by shaquille LOL)

In fact, Solheim rookie Leona Maguire was the undisputed Woman of the Match, earning 4 ½ points, including an absolute beatdown against Jennifer Kupcho, 5 and 4, to score Europe’s first singles point. She was the only player in the event to play all five matches.

“I heard that Kupcho made some comments last night in the team room and that fueled a little bit of fire,” said Maguire, who wouldn’t divulge what she’d heard.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/09/06/europe-beats-u-s-2021-solheim-cup/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

We won. Without fans. The course was magnificent and should have been home advantage....but some of the LPGA courses are so weak that a masterpiece like Inverness found the home team wanting. Lexi is becoming smoke and mirrors and hits far too many bad shots off massive drives. 

Hard to say there should have been a home advantage when all of the Europeans play on the LPGA tour.

Disappointing that the US couldn't pull it out, but at least it was close and there was the chance of a comeback to keep it interesting. I didn't think any circumstances would get me to root for Salas or Thompson, but there I was. 

For 2 of the top 20 players in the world, Nordqvist and Thompson might have the worst short games I've ever seen at a professional level. Never seen 2 top pros so afraid of a wedge. They should seek out Lydia Ko and beg for her guidance.

I really like Jessica Korda, she seems like a good person. I have no idea if that perception is accurate or not.

15 hours ago, KBong said:

Actually, Yealimi played lousy today...she shot +6....luckily for her Mel shot worse...and this was on a setup with two driveable par 4's.

I just eyeballed a few scores...there were actually quite a few lousy scorecards today with over par performances.

I'm too lazy...but I would be curious to know how many players today shot over par.

She played like a millennial....... Didn't care enough to put out an effort.  

I've watched her play a few times and it seems to be a pattern..

She'd still beat me, though.

• Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

2 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

Little bit Off Topic but is related to SC..

What the heck was Bubba Watson doing there?  GC kept showing him and he sticks out like a sore thumb..

He's so desperate for attention..

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/09/04/lpga-solheim-cup-bubba-watson-hype-man-inverness-club-team-usa-helper/

I think Bubba just genuinely likes to contribute.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

@18majors this is creating a bit of a stir in twitterland... whether true or not, i dunno... you're the writer 😛    btw, angela stanford  refuted it but then why should she need to do that?  seriously, i thought this was part of "the game" - eg mental games... (don't remember what golf team event happened where similar stories were or werent invented - by tiger woods? or was it nba by shaquille LOL)

In fact, Solheim rookie Leona Maguire was the undisputed Woman of the Match, earning 4 ½ points, including an absolute beatdown against Jennifer Kupcho, 5 and 4, to score Europe’s first singles point. She was the only player in the event to play all five matches.

“I heard that Kupcho made some comments last night in the team room and that fueled a little bit of fire,” said Maguire, who wouldn’t divulge what she’d heard.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/09/06/europe-beats-u-s-2021-solheim-cup/

I'd really like to know what comments Kupcho made, maybe it will come out at some stage.

Always best to let your clubs do the talking.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

2 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Lexi is becoming smoke and mirrors and hits far too many bad shots off massive drives. 

Tru dat.

She definitely should be taking more advantages after her tee shots...especially on par 5's.

But, I will continue to say Lexi is really nice to the fans and is very approachable and not a stuck up snob to people who pay money to attend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KBong said:

Tru dat.

She definitely should be taking more advantages after her tee shots...especially on par 5's.

But, I will continue to say Lexi is really nice to the fans and is very approachable and not a stuck up snob to people who pay money to attend.

I'm torn re Lexi - I can see how nice she is and comments like yours reinforce this so a big tick, but I just can't watch her swing, its a horrible mess.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

She played like a millennial....... Didn't care enough to put out an effort.  

I've watched her play a few times and it seems to be a pattern..

She'd still beat me, though.

Although she's young....I think Noh is a bit immature mentally...golf related.

At the 2018 Cdn Women's Am....I spoke with a member at Marine Drive...she was offered 2 members (who are very competent golfers)...a young guy and an old guy....but she decided to push her own bag until the final rd when her mom just pushed the bag.

It would not cost her anything as these guys would be volunteering.

Noh won....but with a local on her bag and intense knowledge of the course and greens...she could have shot..... IMO....4-6+ strokes better.

As a 15 & 16 year old....Lydia won the 2012 & 2013 CWO's with local member looping. For the CWO in 2012....Brian Alexander was her loop...a past BC Sr. Am champ who has game.

Both loops volunteered....Lydia was an Am.

In 2014, when Lydia turned pro...she won the Swing Skirt with a Lake Merced member on her bag...she used this guy in 2012 at Lake Merced at the USGA Jr. Girls.

Knowledge Matters....take advantage.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

I'd really like to know what comments Kupcho made, maybe it will come out at some stage.

Always best to let your clubs do the talking.

It was likely nothing.

Kupcho might have simply said:

"Let's destroy these Euros tomorrow and win back the Cup"

And when the media gets a little nibble...they make a mountain out of a mole hill....nuff said.