Azinger calls out Koepka on his Ryder Cup comments

ShowMe

6 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Its just that BK whines a lot for a guy who’s done squat for 2 years. 

Brooks won a PGA Tour event in 2021 despite being injured quite a bit in 2020/21 had a pretty good PGA Tour season. No doubt better than yours to date. 🙃 

He actually had the nerve to make the current RC team based on his play and is still in the OWGR top 10. Pretty damn good in the majors since the 2020 Masters. 4 top 7's in majors with an M/C at the 2021 Masters. Where was Reed in those events and his OWGR rank? Looking upwards.

We all here get you hate Brooks (based on your constant slamming of him) and love Reed before posting check your facts. 

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=16243

• Like 1

I find it humorous that people on this board are calling out Azinger for calling out Koepka based on his past Ryder cup record when they have no record at all.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

4 hours ago, grm24 said:

Brooks won a PGA Tour event in 2021 despite being injured quite a bit in 2020/21 had a pretty good PGA Tour season. No doubt better than yours to date. 🙃 

He actually had the nerve to make the current RC team based on his play and is still in the OWGR top 10. Pretty damn good in the majors since the 2020 Masters. 4 top 7's in majors with an M/C at the 2021 Masters. Where was Reed in those events and his OWGR rank? Looking upwards.

We all here get you hate Brooks (based on your constant slamming of him) and love Reed before posting check your facts. 

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=16243

grm!

I said, 

“He’s dropped from #1 to #10 in a year so”

That’s a fact and not ideal. If TW, the guy BK says he’s going to win 11 more majors and match (I assume he’s talking in this lifetime and not some form of reincarnation) dropped 10 owgr spots in a year in his prime, there would be like 50 threads about it and you’d really see some hate on display.

No, I don’t hate BK and can’t imagine why anyone would. Or Bryson or any golfer. 

You don’t have to hate someone to “slam” dumb stuff they say.

Do you think PA “hates BK”? He “slammed” BK and he’s a fellow pro, network golf host, and winning Ryder Cup captain. 

I’d like nothing more than for BK to hit the winning putt on 18 for the final match to give ‘Murica the Cup!!

Then, start sobbing “I love you guys man” as hes hoisted onto Bryson and DJs shoulders and doused with champagne 🍾 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, oikos1 said:

As far as creme de la creme, I'll agree, wins really are everything (especially majors).  I'm sure if Poulter had a major, this conversation would be much different.  However, the money along with a 25 year professional career puts him in some rarefied air.  Add the 6 Ryder Cups and a 14-6-2 record (he's waned a bit in his last two Ryder Cups), and he clearly is a slayer of team USA.  All I can say is some people just get juiced up for different reasons. 

Sure and I admit he’s a fantastic Ryder Cup player, but going back to one of my first posts in the this thread. Maybe I’m way out on a ledge by myself but IF you’re a great player then your Ryder Cup record isn’t what people know you for or think of first thing whether you’re in Ryder Cup season or not. I only think of Poulter during a Ryder Cup. I haven’t ever once thought of Spieth, DJ, Phil, Tiger etc for their Ryder Cup record. 

In my opinion, Paul A, and BK are correct in their own term.  Paul is just doing his job, and BK is telling the truth.  I think no one to blame here.

I believe majority Ryder Cup players aren’t far off thinking same way.

Unless $ is involved, then the players will think differently…..it’s American way… haha

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, smashdn said:

He would be an older Sergio.

Has Poulter really even been in the mix in a major?

Second and two T-3's and has a match play win.  But the bigger point is, who cares what their pro career is.  Isn't that the issue with Team USA?  All of these great players who together can't close the deal.

We're talking about the Ryder Cup and he is a great Ryder Cup player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Second and two T-3's and has a match play win.  But the bigger point is, who cares what their pro career is.  Isn't that the issue with Team USA?  All of these great players who together can't close the deal.

Because body of work matters but you’re right this is a discussion about the Ryder Cup and I’d be a fool to say that he isn’t a great Ryder Cup player. 

3 hours ago, oikos1 said:

That was the opposite argument actually.  They care what their pro career is because that is how they get paid and how we measure them as professional golfers.

Majors, tour wins, money and somewhere down the list is Ryder Cup performance.  If Ryder Cup performance finally has to be brought up to attempt to make a compelling argument for a guy, chances are that guy isn't all that good save maybe one week every two years.

With that in mind it shouldn't come as a shock that a PGA tour player doesn't really care as much as we think they should about the Ryder Cup, President's Cup and/or the Olympics.  That isn't how their bread gets buttered.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, smashdn said:

That was the opposite argument actually.  They care what their pro career is because that is how they get paid and how we measure them as professional golfers.

Majors, tour wins, money and somewhere down the list is Ryder Cup performance.  If Ryder Cup performance finally has to be brought up to attempt to make a compelling argument for a guy, chances are that guy isn't all that good save maybe one week every two years.

With that in mind it shouldn't come as a shock that a PGA tour player doesn't really care as much as we think they should about the Ryder Cup, President's Cup and/or the Olympics.  That isn't how their bread gets buttered.

The optic of the RC to pro's and what it "means" to fans is likely very different levels, same as tour life/prep.  We saw that unforgiving lens here of how people were roasting and judging, Matt Wolff when he stepped away to get his s together.  

• Like 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Some people are great tour players, some are great team event players.  There are a few who have excelled at both.  

Also don’t compare Ryder Cup records before all of Europe got involved to when it was just GB &I. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I don't understand why Koepka can't just stay home if he doesn't wanna play. And don't give me this BS about money or the event not mattering. True competitors wanna compete no matter the pay day. They will find a way to improve their game and use any competition to do it, no matter what the pay day is or what status there is to be gained. If you aren't a competitor who can play Ryder Cup and take satisfaction in beating someone else then why the hell are you even out there in the first place.

Isn't it funny too how the same people who b**** and moan about athletes being pampered are the same ones that seem to be only focused on money and think that athletes should only base every decision they make on how much money it will bring them. No love for the game, no respect. Just hey they should do whatever makes them the most money because that's what the world is all about right. Rant over.

Edited by One Putter
  • Like 3

I wish some other player would say something that the Golf Channel and the media can blow out of proportion. 

Both Azinger and Bruce have been done to death at this point. 

Maybe Stricker will get an ingrown toenail and develop a fungus. Add some more of a Wisconsin cheese vibe to the week. 

Reed will say Stricker stinks, Bruce will say he plays with 9 ingrown toenails so big deal, Azinger will say Stricker’s shoes need little pods. 

• Haha 1

The Reed/Rory singles match is one of, if not the, best match I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot of ‘em. Those two guys trading punches with each other while including the spectators was one of the greatest displays of golf and sportsmanship in golf and Ryder Cup history. I’ve never seen two guys play at such a high level while having so much fun. Reed should be an auto-pick every two years just because of that match alone. Anyone who has doubts about Reed should go back and watch that match in its entirety. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9.0* w/Fujikura Ventus VeloCore Blue 6s

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Ti 19.0* w/Fujikura Ventus VeloCore Blue 7s

TaylorMade M3 19/22* w/OBAN Revenge 85

TaylorMade 2019 P790's 5- thru 9-Iron w/UST Recoil 95

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 6 46/09 w/KBS 610 115gr

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50/09, 54/14, 58/14 w/KBS 610 115gr

Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7 38-Inch w/SuperStroke CounterCore Flatso 2.0XL

TaylorMade 2022 Tour Response

My guess is that Brooks will play only 2 team matches (out of a maximum of 4) and only in four balls format. With his statement regarding his partners potentially leave him at a "bad spot" or not wanting to play his partner's ball type I am sure no one wants to play in alternate shot team with Brooks. Additionally with his health an issue, even allowing him to play only 1 team four balls match makes sense.

Edited by khalespace

It’s great that he is so honest (Brooks) because it’s more interesting than the standard media trained rubbish. 

But, he may look back on this with a bit more life experience and he think he should have just kept quiet and sucked it up for a week.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, bubbagump said:

That’s going to be up to each persons existing view of him.  I didn’t take his answers in the interview as whining, just how he feels. Personally I also recognize it’s fully normal to have feels on something, but can still carry out the duties at hand regardless.   A huge portion of the human workforce does that daily lol.  

Plus much like Bryson, Brooks moves the needle, so the coverage continues to hammer home on them.   Can’t fault them for responding to interview requests, and then answering in their own schtick. 

Fine, he feels like whining.   What is clear is he really doesn’t want to play the RC.  

So don’t.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 9/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, BNGL said:

Sure and I admit he’s a fantastic Ryder Cup player, but going back to one of my first posts in the this thread. Maybe I’m way out on a ledge by myself but IF you’re a great player then your Ryder Cup record isn’t what people know you for or think of first thing whether you’re in Ryder Cup season or not. I only think of Poulter during a Ryder Cup. I haven’t ever once thought of Spieth, DJ, Phil, Tiger etc for their Ryder Cup record. 

Maybe Ryder Cup records don’t count because the best players have been Americans and we don’t discuss Ryder Cup records in these here parts.😏

But seriously we mostly praise guys Ryder Cup records if they are part of winning teams.  And Sergio and Poulter have certainly been key components of the Euros winning run.

5 hours ago, Bye said:

It’s great that he is so honest (Brooks) because it’s more interesting than the standard media trained rubbish. 

But, he may look back on this with a bit more life experience and he think he should have just kept quiet and sucked it up for a week.

Or, kept quiet other than to say “I’m injured and relinquishing my spot to another player.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Maybe Ryder Cup records don’t count because the best players have been Americans and we don’t discuss Ryder Cup records in these here parts.😏

But seriously we mostly praise guys Ryder Cup records if they are part of winning teams.  And Sergio and Poulter have certainly been key components of the Euros winning run.

Sure maybe. Again as with everything on this site that I post I am speaking as me on my opinion. There are somethings that are “factual” based on years of experience gleaned from working in golf. But most of it is in my opinion. 

You’re right though generally the best players have been American, that’s not too jingoistic to say I don’t think. But it’s like the teams that celebrate division titles in college football then get smoked in the conference game. Hey we’ve won this division 5 years in a row, yeah but you get run out of the stadium every year in the title game. So do you wanna celebrate the small things or something of importance? To me the Ryder Cup isn’t an event I dreamt of winning or participating in. I’ve warmed up to the Olympics, although my motives are ulterior to the competition it self (see Olympic village 🐈🐈🐈). But I’ve never ever dreamt of a putt to clinch the Ryder Cup, like I have The Masters or The British Open.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Or, kept quiet other than to say “I’m injured and relinquishing my spot to another player.”

Either would work. He had an out, but has chosen another path.

Personally I think it’s a little disrespectful to those who have made the Ryder Cup what it is today. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

In the Golf Digest interview, Koepka also said "I’d love to represent my country. I think that’s fun. It’s just maybe not in my DNA, the team sports thing" in relation to playing in the Olympics.  I get that.  Represent your country on a team but always playing your own ball, your own game. 

So I'm trying to understand, since a player doesn't have to play in every match, why not have someone like Koepka just play the two four-ball matches and the singles match.  He plays his own ball the entire time and it shouldn't matter if his "partner" screws up a hole in the four-ball 'cause he's Brooksie.  Surely he can beat two guys head to head. 

And then I continued reading the article and saw this:

1631121972735.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1