Have you won your Club Champ? Share your story....

AndersUK

I won mine once. Swing felt positively awful through the first few holes, so decided to have some fun and fire at every pin. Made some doubles but also 7 birdies to lead by one heading into the second day. Day two I made six birdies on the front and saw I was up by 11 shots after 28 holes. Knew tournament was over at that point-snoozed my way in, won by 7. 

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

A thread where we are actually allowed to boast?!?! 

I've got 7 club championships across 3 different courses.  Unfortunately, none in the last ten(ish) years or so because life just kinda got in the way and I haven't been able to actually join a club in some time.  While I enjoy not feeling financially tied to one place and playing different courses, I really do miss the club events.  Obviously, club championship being the biggest, but even the random member-members, Saturday skins, silly charity scrambles, etc. 

One of the courses I was a member at back in the day did a Ryder Cup style thing against one of the other clubs in the area.  Came down to Sunday singles and I'm in the last group.  I birdie 15 and 16 to get to AS and then stuff a 5 iron on 18 to about 6 feet to win my match.  Honestly felt better than any of my club championships because it wasn't just for me.  You don't get that team feeling in golf very often. 

• Like 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

5th is my best in the champ flight. Its a wide open course so they set up the pins as ball buster as they can. Lots of GIR and then everyone has like 40 putts on the day lol.

My playing partner nabbed closest to the pin and then 4 putted lol

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I have been fortunate to win quite a few CC’s and now Senior CC’s. The things that helped me:

1. Prove it all year. Go in as the lowest handicap - or among the lowest - in the field. This will give you confidence and often means playing “average” will keep you in contention with a chance to win. (The truth is you could win with a ‘B’ or perhaps even a ‘C’ game.) It’s much more difficult to win if your handicap is 3 or more strokes higher than the low guys and you think you can get to where you need to be with 2-3 weeks of intense practice. Yes it can happen, but not likely. (In this case, they would need a ‘A’ or ‘A+’ game.) Often these types of guys want it a little too much and it can lead to a train wreck. 
2. The putter is huge. It’s just hard to win at any level if you cannot make putts. Often CC’s have tougher hole locations, and firmer and faster greens. You need to convert good birdie chances. And you can end up with slightly longer putts for par. You just have to make a big percentage of those “make-able” putts to get it done. 
3. Play in at least a few bigger state/regional tournaments. You will become more comfortable playing tough courses/set-ups. And getting your butt kicked helps to identify weaknesses in your game under pressure. (I didn’t have to play against +4’s or better at my club.) Then work on those things. It also makes a competition at the club much easier on the mental side. Which is everything.  

There are much better players on this site, and hopefully they will chime in here. The above are things I have shared with friends at my club who have asked. 

Good luck this coming season.

Edited by mark m
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

We have a season long match play CC and a stroke play CC. One year I played my brother in the finals of matchplay no handicap. And the other guy in our group is a good friend - Tim - who is also a former champ. Anyway, my brother is playing really solid golf and is 2 up through 16. (I’m dormie.) We are in the seventeenth fairway and Tim asks me, “hey, does your brother have a bogey today?” No sir. “No wonder you’re getting your azz kicked!” LOL. We laughed. My brother was a little distance away and asks, “what’s so funny?” Nevermind, I’ll tell you later! More laughs. I played good. But he was better - shot 68. I was so proud of him. 

• Like 3

Newport 2.5

Played in the club championship for the first time in 2020. Stroke play qualifying and then match play bracket to determine club champ. Final match - easy par on 1. Topped 3 wood off the tee on 2 (par 5). Parred from there and halved the hole. Hybrid on 3 hits a tree right off the tee box and lands on the ladies tee. Competitor hits his tee shot in the water. Tie with bogeys.

Went on to win 3&1 from there but man it was a disastrous start. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:26 AM, Roody said:

Does winning the "A" flight (one flight below the official championship flight) count? If yes, then I did it at my old club in 2017. 

If no, then I'll see myself out 😛

Hell Yeh it counts!!

Congratz Brotha!!

Anytime that you're the last man standing, you've got a lot to be proud of👊

Very Nicely Played🏆

May that be the first of many more🍻
RP

• Like 4

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

On 1/17/2022 at 7:37 PM, wobgon said:

Thirty years between my first and last.

Now THIS is somethin to be proud of!!

Congratz Brotha👊
RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Richard,

Thank you for your story. I recall you posting about it a few years ago. But your the best on this site by miles, and it was a great read. 

What month was your CC played? (August? Hot weather, etc.) It sounds very taxing. I am one of those that would be just wiped out - more mentally than physically (I think) - after a state open or CC. (I was in good shape too, walked and carried.) Just curious how you felt in your forties and until 52? Some here could learn from it. 

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Newport 2.5

I was never told when it was. There was only about 20 guys in the club and a beat a few of them when we played together. I don't think they wanted me to play, but that's fine. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I’ve never played in one as an adult, but when I was 16 or 17 I won the junior division, my dad won the senior and we tied in the overall for 4th I think. It was all played at the same time, from the same tees on a 9 hole course where you played the white tees on the front and blue tees on the back. I thought us both winning our deals and tying overall was cool. No one else has ever given a shi…….

• Like 3

• Like 2

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

On 1/22/2022 at 7:41 PM, Forged4ever said:

Hell Yeh it counts!!

Congratz Brotha!!

Anytime that you're the last man standing, you've got a lot to be proud of👊

Very Nicely Played🏆

May that be the first of many more🍻
RP

Alright then, I shall mention a few stories of my experiences in the "A" flight of club championships over the years. 

The one I mentioned earlier, winning in 2017 was a bit of a surprise. The first round I didn't play awful, but I didn't play great either. I think I was middle of the pack somewhere. I played pretty good in day two. I thought it was good enough to move me up the leaderboard, but I didn't think I'd win it outright. When I got done with my round, I went in for a beer and lunch. About a half hour later, the pro came in and told me I won. I said "you're messing with me, right?", Apparently everyone else had a bad round. 

One of my favorite club championships was from 2012. I was tied for first place after day 1, which got me into the final group for day 2. Right there, that was pretty cool. The guy I was playing against was steady Eddie all day long. Not a big hitter, but I don't think he missed a fairway. He got up on me by a couple strokes early on, but I clawed back to even with him through hole 16. It was so much fun, felt like a heavyweight battle to me.

Anyways, on hole 16 I piped a gorgeous drive down the fairway and left myself only 85 yards out on a par 4. He hit his 5-wood, also in the fairway, but much shorter than I. Like most of the day, he hit his second shot and was on the green. I get to my shot, and 85 yards would be a hard LW for me, or a 3/4 SW. I decided to try the 3/4 SW. I chunked it. Then I chunked the next shot. I tripled the hole, and it was over. 

What I am proud of from that day was making it into the final group, and maintaining my composure for as long as I did. I hit some great shots that day, under pressure. What I also learned in that moment is if I am faced with a full shot versus a 3/4 shot, I think hitting the full shot is the smarter choice when you're nervous. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Never won a club championship, but I have a bunch of IJGA/AJGA and various city championships from the 90's/early 2000's under my belt.  I'm a total has been. 

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Won my first in 2020 of my club's B flight. 8 players per flight, 3 days of match play.

In my first round match, everything went wrong on the front 9. I mean put every bad bounce, every bad break, everything - combine that with my opponent draining every long putt in sight. If you've played match play tournaments of any kind then we've all been there - it was a complete train wreck.

I was 5 down after 11.

I won 1 up.

I think that match remains my greatest golf accomplishment. And frankly, after that, I played the rest of the weekend with zero f's left in my tank. I even won a stableford event that same season and dont consider it nearly as good.

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I've won only a few. Have always played at courses with very deep below-scratch memberships and always one or two a bit better and ... I was a choker for a long time.

In almost 30 years of scratch/below golf, I probably have 15 - 20 2nd places if you count regular, senior, and match play. Used to always figure out a way to lose.

First one was at Canyon Crest CC back in 2000ish. Shot 69, 73, 70, 72. Course was 6,580, 72.0/132 back then.

Last one I won was our match play club championship at my current club a couple years ago. Won the final match in 20 holes. Needed an 15-footer to extend the match on the 19th hole.

• Like 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I'm a total has been. 

Right there with you, brother.  I get the impression there's a lot of us here, actually.  But it's better to be a has-been than a never-was.

• Like 4

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

5 hours ago, Roody said:

I get to my shot, and 85 yards would be a hard LW for me, or a 3/4 SW. I decided to try the 3/4 SW. I chunked it. Then I chunked the next shot. I tripled the hole, and it was over. 

What I also learned in that moment is if I am faced with a full shot versus a 3/4 shot, I think hitting the full shot is the smarter choice when you're nervous. 

Superb Post!!!

Thanks much for sharing🤙

What you learned was probably Sam's most spoken bit of advice to Ams, whether it was on the line, on the course or at the 19th. He ALWAYS told Ams to take one more club than they initially thought, then just take their regular swing, and he also told Ams more times than I could remember, that unless they had hit "tens of thousands(yah, he used the word, "tens," lol) of a particular 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 swing shot, to ALWAYS take the club that allowed them to take a full swing, when playing "under the gun," his phrase for playing under pressure. 

You've had some great experiences and a lot to be proud of👊

Continued Success Brotha🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 4

Won the Club Championship 3 years in a row. 2007 2008 2009. Won the Senior CC 2011, 2012. Course closed at the end of 2012. Also won Match Play championship 2010. Won the State Senior Spring opener in 2008 also. Now I just play for fun with my friends. Getting old isn't for sissies. 

• Like 3

I've been lucky enough to win the "city" tournament at the local muni twice.   Been in the finals a couple of more times.

We play a qualifier round and the top fifteen scores and last years champ go into match play.  It really is a fun event and I feel fortunate to have been able to outlast the field a couple of times.  At the age of 50 I fee like I may have a few more years of competition left to try to win another.  

This year I began competing in the "senior" events at the muni as well.  Those are fun but they don't have the same attraction for me just yet.

Need to get my putting sorted out this spring and make another run.

Overall the thrill of competition has changed and I enjoy it so much more.  Wish I could have had this perspective a few years ago because I feel like I could have won a few more.

• Like 2

Not in over 20 years now.  I won it once at a couple different courses in NC when I was younger.  The first club I was a freshman in college, and they decided after that year only primary members could play in it anymore, the other club was right before I moved, the next year at that club they decided that only full adult members could play, no more junior members.  They still allowed us to play in interclub matches.  They wanted to beat other clubs, but didn't want some just out of college punk winning their club championship.  Been a member at two private clubs here in Georgia, finished 3rd once and 8th another time, before my wrist injury, but nothing since.  I have noticed at both my clubs in Atlanta that more and more kids out of college are joining clubs that were college golfers and it will be really hard to beat some of them.

Finished top eight of the NC Amateur three times(two in my early and then once in my mid 20's after getting my am status back). Lost in the second round of the NC Mid Am a couple of times.  I played the Georgia Mid am since moving here a couple of times, but never made the match play. Did finish top 12 of the Georgia Pub Links in 2012.

Finished in the top 10 in a couple of college Div 1 tournaments.

Made it to stroke play finals in one US Am, a LONG time ago, never have made it out of locals in the US Mid am.  

I want to win something at my club in Georgia, and I would really like to win a non club event, but alas I don't want to practice either.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4 hours ago, br61 said:

I have been watching this thread but do not like to brag though.

I have won 23 club championships in stroke and match play from 1988 to my last one in 2020. 

In one year, I did not play in my final match until next summer because my opponent kept on begging off until June of next year. Geez.

First, Congratz, as 23 Clubs is incredible!!

Strike that, it's friggin obscene😂😂🤙

Secondly, your golf committee/board should set a schedule, stick to it, and that is it. If the individual cannot adhere to that schedule and the scheduled matches, then, regardless of who they are, they forfeit the match. End of story. The tail should NEVER be allowed to wag the dog!!

Finally, it is not bragging if ya do/did it~

It is merely stating fact😉

Again, very nicely Played👊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 4

This thread has got me all kind of motivated!!

Let me come back to you in June. Our Club Championship is June 15th to 18th. I am either coming on then miserable and exhausted after three days of work then golf before the 4th round on the Saturday or I am coming back a champion. I just want the props from you all, especially @Forged4everand @bladehunter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023