2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

LIV with some big money announcements (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

CCTxGolf

18 hours ago, theodoreb said:

If Cam Smith, Matsuyama and Cantlay more over at the end of the year as "responsibly reported" that is a huge kink in the PGA's armour. 

That’s still “if”. So thanks for proving me correct as in not ALL of the “rumored” players have gone. 

16 hours ago, theodoreb said:

You guys are unbelievable. Bryson won the US open in 2020, but he sucks as well? You obviously will throw any player under the bus and tell the thread they are "washed up, over the hill, and done with" once they join liv. Will be really funny to see what you have to say when Cam and Cantley possibly join at the end of the year. "Cam's washed up" HA!

Also a lifetime membership to a Tour that is loosing relevance by the day, is really not worth much.

Bryson has always sucked in my opinion, insufferable. 

Also, it’s “losing” not “loosing”

15 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Yes.  Yes they would.  Regardless of Norman or not.  Glad to see you are finally admitting that the money would be hard for most to turn down.  

Everyone on earth would take money if there were no consequences. Unfortunately when high amounts of money are involved, very rarely are there no strings attached. Don’t think anyone is debating that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

I guess I’m not understanding who is valuing teams at $1,000,000,000 each?  I can value my tennis racket at that price too, but in reality it’s worth maybe $1 at our next yard sale. How did “they” arrive at this valuation and how is a return realized if someone happens to come along and buy a team for that amount?  Would an owner of a team be paid the player’s earnings and the owner then pays a salary to the players?  Would an owner sell the rights to players - They all wear a plethora of logos, do commercials and make appearances on behalf of their team?  I don’t see how they valuation correlates to a market of any kind or where the revenue opportunity exists for any owner. 

They made up the valuation but everything else would basically be what you are saying. From what I've read LIV is trying to do the F1 model so the teams are basically just marketing for a larger company. In F1 Redbull probably pays 300 million overall for their F1 activities throughout the year but the estimated marketing value they get back is in the 500-800 million range on top of the season earnings so it's worth spending the money for the extra marketing. LIV is trying to claim something like this, but the return on investment is not there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shortgamemagic said:

Everyone on earth would take money if there were no consequences. Unfortunately when high amounts of money are involved, very rarely are there no strings attached. Don’t think anyone is debating that. 

Never is that kind of money doled out without some form of expectation... agreed.  But lets stop pretending these guys are some sort of lesser human because it's "blood money" and just agree that many of us would take that life changing money TO PLAY GOLF, too.  I get people are trying to take a stand here, good for them.  I just think given the opportunity, things would be very different if all you had to do was sign your name, play golf, and make LIV look like a contender.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX7 mkii 9.5 HZRDUS rdx red 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Srixon ZX5 mkii 3, ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

1 hour ago, mitchl said:

Just looking at the remaining schedule.    Poor Phil is going to miss half of his son's football games.

Boston Sept 2-4
Chicago Sept 16-18
Bankgkok Oct 7-9
Jeddah Oct 14-16

Miami Oct 27-30

but he gets to fly on a party plane with an open bar ... duh ... 

• Haha 2

I went over to visit my brother and his family last night.   While I was there, I noticed his young son was watching something called "twitch tv" which is a site that young people (although you don't have to be young) watch other people playing video games.     The game he was watching was apart of a $8M tournament hosted by .. you guessed it, the Saudi's.  

One thing about the PGA broadcasts and their product in general.  It is old and tired.  It's a product that was created back in the 80's and 90's and just hasn't been updated.   I will say this for the LIV folks, they at least are trying to get the game of golf into the new century.   Hopefully the PGA will learn from this experience and update their product in the near future.

BTW, Twitch tv claims to have 31M daily viewers with 2.8M people on their platform at any given time.    The times are a changing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aus10KC said:

That October is brutal. 

If the ratings don't improve and interest level go up, Jeddah might be the last stop and the airport might close for "renovations" on October 16th. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

17 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

It’s all about the talent. And the venue too, in golf. 

Where wed agree most likely is that the pga tour needs to consolidate and concentrate events and talent so the fields are stronger more often. 

As far as LIV, if they score a field of at least a 3rd of the top-20, they’ve got something. Until then, with this field, the interest will be limited. 

Great point - venue matters as well. What are the odds that LIV ever gets one of the great courses in the U.S Open / PGA Championship / Open Championship rotations ?

Or even courses used in Korn Ferry or Champions Tour events ? DP World Tour events ? 

Slim to none I think ... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

25 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Well, the broadcast/product being “old and tired” didn’t seem to matter when this was on…

Tiger Woods Sport GIF

You can have rapid fire shots, an F1 leader board, announcers with accents who crack jokes,

But none of that matters even remotely, infinitesimally, compared to the talent. 

The Masters. Is it “old and tired”? Does it need to be “louder”? Or if you want louder, you got the WM.

Theres very little, if anything wrong with pga broadcast. Golf is totally boring for 90% of kids to play and 99% of kids to watch. Nothing can change that. Half the shots are a ball rolling like 4mph toward a hole in the ground. 

The best football game I ever saw was that Dolphins/Chargers game in 1981. Prolly a 27” TV with none of the graphics and crap they have now. 

It’s all about the talent. And the venue to an extent , in golf. 

Where wed agree most likely is that the pga tour needs to consolidate and concentrate events and talent so the fields are stronger more often. 

As far as LIV, if they score a field of at least a 3rd of the top-20, they’ve got something. Until then, with this field, the interest will be limited. 

If you are waiting for the next Tiger to come along and save the PGA ... you are going to be greatly disappointed.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Great point - venue matters as well. What are the odds that LIV ever gets one of the great courses in the U.S Open / PGA Championship / Open Championship rotations ?

Or even courses used in Korn Ferry or Champions Tour events ? DP World Tour events ? 

Slim to none I think ... 

On the US Open/PGA/Open rotation - not much of a chance - but in general, the PGA doesn't use those courses either, except for a couple exceptions (Pebble of course is one). 

There are lots of great courses, and I think seeing some we don't normally see could be a good thing.  It's unlikely they will end up at a Signature Nicholas course (Jack may not want them there, and Norman probably wouldn't either).  And they certainly won't be at a TPC course!

14 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Why would successful tours change their course ? Because a few malcontents want to "grow the game" elsewhere ? Because some TV viewers are unhappy with the number of commercials in the broadcast ? 

That's the bet that LIV is basically making here, that the PGATOUR is NOT successful at maximizing the game of golf at the professional level. They have been successful at making their tour the top tour and keeping every other tour world wide in the system as a feeder. It's a great way to control golf, but not necessarily a great way to reach its potential on a global scale from the monetizing angle.  

If LIV is correct, the PGATOUR's structure won't allow it to compete. That's the wager LIV is making

51 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

if they get any of those top 10 guys after the FedEx cup, if they don't play ranked tournaments before Augusta, they will drop like a rock and be out of the top 20.   DJ went from #2 at end of December to #17 by mid June, and that included some ranked tournament play, with none- the dropoff would be faster.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Slim to none I think ... 

I don’t like LIV’s format. They have enough players to be interesting though.  To get me to watch roll back the ball 15% so guys have to hit some mid irons into par 4s.  Also play the best venues in golf.  I’m talking top 100 almost every exhibition.  I’d watch that over the tour.   Otherwise I’m still out 

1 hour ago, DrunkCaddy said:

I went over to visit my brother and his family last night.   While I was there, I noticed his young son was watching something called "twitch tv" which is a site that young people (although you don't have to be young) watch other people playing video games.     The game he was watching was apart of a $8M tournament hosted by .. you guessed it, the Saudi's.  

One thing about the PGA broadcasts and their product in general.  It is old and tired.  It's a product that was created back in the 80's and 90's and just hasn't been updated.   I will say this for the LIV folks, they at least are trying to get the game of golf into the new century.   Hopefully the PGA will learn from this experience and update their product in the near future.

BTW, Twitch tv claims to have 31M daily viewers with 2.8M people on their platform at any given time.    The times are a changing.

Saudi's hosting a tournament and that prize pool aren't normal. Similar to LIV, the Saudi's have decided to go on a similar path in eSports and just throw a ton of money at it. They end up looking like heros because the prize pools of eSports are still pretty low compared to regular sports. 

Twitch is a streaming platform which people or organizations can use to stream content (similar to YouTube live). It's good for things that have a fan base but aren't large enough for mainstream tv stations or have more of a global appeal to get viewers. This is why eSports are popular because anyone from anywhere can tune in and the organizers don't have deal with different networks around the world for coverage. 

3 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Never is that kind of money doled out without some form of expectation... agreed.  But lets stop pretending these guys are some sort of lesser human because it's "blood money" and just agree that many of us would take that life changing money TO PLAY GOLF, too.  I get people are trying to take a stand here, good for them.  I just think given the opportunity, things would be very different if all you had to do was sign your name, play golf, and make LIV look like a contender.  

Not lesser of a human but definitely hypocrites which IMO is also connected with earned respect which for me, is zero. 

Edited by Shortgamemagic
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Well, the broadcast/product being “old and tired” didn’t seem to matter when this was on…

Tiger Woods Sport GIF

You can have rapid fire shots, an F1 leader board, announcers with accents who crack jokes,

But none of that matters even remotely, infinitesimally, compared to the talent. 

The Masters. Is it “old and tired”? Does it need to be “louder”? Or if you want louder, you got the WM.

Theres very little, if anything wrong with pga broadcast. Golf is totally boring for 90% of kids to play and 99% of kids to watch. Nothing can change that. Half the shots are a ball rolling like 4mph toward a hole in the ground. 

The best football game I ever saw was that Dolphins/Chargers game in 1981. Prolly a 27” TV with none of the graphics and crap they have now. 

It’s all about the talent. And the venue to an extent , in golf. 

That's the Masters, not the PGAT, they don't have nearly the amount of commercials that a PGAT broadcast has.

The US Open and British Open have lots of commercials, but the fact that they're majors and just once a year makes it easier to put up with the commercials.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

34 minutes ago, Shortgamemagic said:

Not lesser of a human but definitely hypocrites which IMO is also connected with earned respect which for me, is zero. 

I'd be willing to bet that kind of money would turn a lot of people here into hypocrites... but that's JMO.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX7 mkii 9.5 HZRDUS rdx red 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Srixon ZX5 mkii 3, ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

1 hour ago, BottleCap said:

That's the Masters, not the PGAT, they don't have nearly the amount of commercials that a PGAT broadcast has.

The US Open and British Open have lots of commercials, but the fact that they're majors and just once a year makes it easier to put up with the commercials.

if you guys hate commercials so much (as do I) just buy a basic sports cable package and dvr the tournaments. I haven’t sat through commercials for live sports for like… 15 years. I’m not so desperate to save that $50 per month that it means I have to stream and watch commercials. Not to mention the hour or so saved per game/tournament round pays for that $50 ten times over each month. 

Edited by Potatohead