2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LIV Golf Portland 2022 (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

BottleCap

2 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Did someone win? (Did anyone care who - or only care how much they won, and how terrible the PGAT is? In truth, I'd probably rather watch commercials than watch Perez or Gooch or Phachara Khongwatmai - whoever the heck that is - are people actually taking this thing seriously?) They were probably very excited. Pretty sure they are contractually obligated to be excited. More importantly, did you get to see the winner's tweets about being excited to win (apparently that's a thing on LIV)?

Did they talk about how much the winner won? 'Cause really, LIV is far more about money than golf, so I'm kinda presuming they did. 

'Kay, sorry, watched about the first 10 minutes (how terrible, apparently I "blinked", even though this is supposed to be so breathlessly exciting that I shouldn't blink - though I'm not sure I missed much). Prolly should look at the final scores before commenting. Give me a sec. 

Okay, really? So in a dramatic finish, Brandon Grace managed to hold off Carlos Ortiz in a nail biter (though I'm sure they were both very excited). I think I've actually heard of both of those guys before. Slightly unfortunate that Phil "Mr. $200MM" Mickelson finished +10, but hey, he's a Big Name, and got A Lot Of Money. And some other Big Names also made a Lot of Money. Westwood, Kaymer, and (one of the) Koepka's at E (the other brother Koepka shot +3 - only old guys that watched Newhart will get this reference). Sergio at +4. The (appropriately named) Richard Bland at +5.

The Saudis bought names mostly on the downhill side of their PGAT days, but they didn't buy good golf. 

Is now clear who is going LIV. Guys that don't think they have what it takes to risk the actual competition of the PGAT, and will take guaranteed paychecks instead. I'll watch collegiate golf before I watch LIV again. 

Bottom line - to put it in the vernacular of the LIV? #Losers.

Yeah Patrick Reed just won more money today for 3rd place than he did for winning the masters 4 years ago 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JRS1939 said:

Yeah Patrick Reed just won more money today for 3rd place than he did for winning the masters 4 years ago 😂😂😂

Lot has changed in 4 years. Compare it to this years winner for a reference, but your point is understood.  LIV bank account is undeniable and assuming no heads roll, will draw attention. 

• Like 1

The normal individual stoke-play format does not create much interest outside of who is the eventual winner. The weekly teams seem silly now, but I do think the direction they are going will create more interest beyond the winners when teams  become permanent. 

Year 2 LIV should have set teams put together based on countries/regions. 

• Like 3

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, Gregakin said:

Lot has changed in 4 years. Compare it to this years winner for a reference, but your point is understood.  LIV bank account is undeniable and assuming no heads roll, will draw attention. 

The purse increases came bc of the new threat. Previous purse increases were tiny compared to what we are seeing now. 

• Like 3

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

43 minutes ago, Airjenks said:

koepka, Reed and DJ were all in the mix on the final day. I don’t think your Bantamweight argument holds much merit. Not to mention Pumpkin played extremely long (like 7600 yards, I think).

I think you don’t understand the team format. It’s 2 or 3 scores per team per day. Pat Perez was playing great and contributed big time for his team. Just had a bad day the final round. That’s the beauty of the format, when someone has a bad round at anytime, they can’t mail it in and go home. They’ve got to bring it the next day and give a crap.

the shotgun start allowed a more balanced crowd throughout the course and didn’t have all the mass panic of following one group. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Not too mention we didn’t have to be at the course for 12 hours, which was nice too. 

I think a lot of people under estimate the team aspect in the fact that every shot counts. There is no mailing it in bc every stroke counts towards another 3 million. 

• Like 3

To think that LIV golfers playing for $4.0m paydays is “exhibition” is silly.   This is life-changing money for these guys.  Any criticism that anyone has about LIV this week can be equally applied to the PGAT this week.

I do think it would be cool if each team played together for the first 2 rounds, to help each other.  They can putt out of turn to give each other reads, etc.  It would add to the team element.  They don’t really need to play by tournament play rules if they aren’t receiving World Golf Ranking points anyway.

Then the last round goes back to traditional parings based on leaderboard position.

Edited by thed0n

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

10 hours ago, seth514 said:

Thursday and Friday's coverage was nonsense for 99% of it. Every approach shot shown, hit to within 5-6ft of the pin. Watching this one would assume these guys were gonna shoot 61. Reminiscent of old golf TV footage only showing the great shots. They seriously need some media/coverage help.

Saturday coverage was only mildly better. They actually aired some bad shots, interspersed with a ton of darts thrown to 5 ft again. Ridiculous, through and through. 

Oh, and the "team" nonsense is... well, nonsense. No one cares, except the hacks shooting +8 and cashing out. 

Didn't see this as you say.  Saw plenty of fore left and airmailing the green.

Watched all three rounds. They show lots of golf shots. With fewer players you see a higher percentage of the shots hit.  I didn't see only cherry-picked good shots.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Str8Putt said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Rickie joins next year. Can't keep missing cuts, won't be able to make those Corona commercials. 

He's still a big enough name that he'd bring in people to watch him. May even have some success. .

I think in year 3 you're going to see a top 10 player that has won a major and or a handful of tournaments say he'll never be none as one of the greats and is going to see guys on LIV cutting up having fun and making money and will say why not me, I can beat most of those guys and will leave to join the LIV.

If that happens, you're going to start seeing some in the top 20-10 look toward the LIV also. 

Could not disagree more,!!

• Haha 1

On par 3s I’d love it if they gave full club speed, launch, spin, and landing angle data to show how the different guys play the same hole. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Any comments politically connected will not be approved or will be removed if inadvertently approved moving forward. No explanations will be given. Attacks on players and other members stop now. There is a difference between respectful commentary and hate speech. There is no definitive definition and posts will be removed one considers fair game. 

The moderators have final authority on these matters and no explanation on actions will be given. This is the warning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Fair enough mods. I'm not the first to suggest this but can there be a sub forum for LIV? LIV is not Tour golf so it would seem misplaced here. Also the continuous creation of new LIV threads is dominating the tour forum. Would be kind of disappointing to have The Open discussions constantly getting pushed down the list by LIV threads. 

I know your work isn't easy in this highly controversial time of golf, so thank you. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Fair enough mods. I'm not the first to suggest this but can there be a sub forum for LIV? LIV is not Tour golf so it would seem misplaced here. Also the continuous creation of new LIV threads is dominating the tour forum. Would be kind of disappointing to have The Open discussions constantly getting pushed down the list by LIV threads. 

I know your work isn't easy in this highly controversial time of golf, so thank you. 

No but members need to be part of the solution, not the problem. There is no basis on your observation of domination other than those overtly posting in threads to push a position. That stops now as warned. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

1 hour ago, orr444 said:

Could not disagree more,!!

So what do you disagree with?

Rickie? Maybe it won't be next year but the year after if he wants to continue playing. Can't keep missing cuts and going to qualifiers. His name still has some weight to it, his game doesn't. Perfect time for him to cash in. He may actual thrive on LIV

Don't agree about some top player taking a wait and see? Guess we'll both have to wait and see. Doubt it'll be a Top 5 guy but in the top 15/10 yeah I can definitely see some guy saying why not me. Right now the uncertainty of if LIV will be around more than 2yrs. Again if one of those guys go. Others will follow.