RIP Joe Mayo and Viktor Hovland (No one is dead, please don’t click on if you can access your retirement without IRS penalties)

DomJones

4 hours ago, ALIF said:

Viktor needs a girlfriend.

I thought he was dating Mary Jane. 
image.png.3a0a2f0a85edeea47c97e5b16043b33a.png

• Haha 3

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 1/3/2024 at 7:33 PM, DomJones said:

Per Todd Lewis, Joe Mayo and Viktor are no longer working together. Viktor did not want to get into details and it appears it was due to personal issues. Condolences to Joe that buddy knows ball. 

Mr. Jones, coupla questions.

1) Have you read through your own thread ?

2) If so, have you considered changing the title ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

9 minutes ago, DomJones said:

It’s not that serious. 

Pretty sad.  No wonder you're vilified here.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, DomJones said:

It’s not that serious. 

Did you read all the posts ?

Sounds like it bothered a fair number of posters.

Do you at least admit your clickbait headline is in poor taste ? :classic_blink:

• Like 2

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Ok. I’ll be the one.  Who’s Joe Mayo ?  I’ve never heard that name in my life.  Any relation to Joe Buck? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

27 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Ok. I’ll be the one.  Who’s Joe Mayo ?  I’ve never heard that name in my life.  Any relation to Joe Buck? 

He’s an instructor who helped Viktor out with his short game over the past few years.  GC and NBC mentioned his name a lot last year whenever Vik was in contention.  He was also standing in the background when Rory was going nuts in the parking lot/valet area at the Ryder Cup (dude in the white visor).

I think he used to be on this site as “Trackman Maestro”?

IMG_7001.jpeg

Edited by kmbean
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Must be his physician.  He's got a few clinics named for him.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Did you read all the posts ?

Sounds like it bothered a fair number of posters.

Do you at least admit your clickbait headline is in poor taste ? :classic_blink:

It’s a golf forum I’m not going for clicks I was giving an update. RIP is how a lot of people under the age of 50 talk about things that end not that someone has died. Shame because Joe Mayo knows ball. 

• Like 2

• DomJones changed the title to RIP Joe Mayo and Viktor Hovland (No one is dead, please don’t click on if you can access your retirement without IRS penalties)
46 minutes ago, DomJones said:

It’s a golf forum I’m not going for clicks I was giving an update. RIP is how a lot of people under the age of 50 talk about things that end not that someone has died. Shame because Joe Mayo knows ball. 

I knew exactly what it meant as soon as I read it, its a shame the thread got taken over by folk who take things so literally. 

Am I right in thinking that Joe Mayo is the instructor who is currently posting daily on instagram preaching about how steep AOA with chipping isnt actually steep?

• Like 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

35 minutes ago, jaffabell said:

I knew exactly what it meant as soon as I read it, its a shame the thread got taken over by folk who take things so literally. 

Am I right in thinking that Joe Mayo is the instructor who is currently posting daily on instagram preaching about how steep AOA with chipping isnt actually steep?

Correct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DomJones said:

NVM. Not worth the effort. 🙃

Edited by nsxguy
  • Haha 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Just because some of you assumed the worst regarding "RIP", doesn't mean he should change the title.  You should read before assuming anything.  This is a Discussion Board on the internet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

3 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I haven't talked to Joe about it because it's not something I would try to pry from him and it's none of my business.

But Joe worked with Viktor on his swing as well as his short game.  Viktor had issues with hitting too many low draws with the driver than he wished.  He wanted to play a cut and they started to see that his upper body center was too far forward in the downswing and that produces a steeper attack angle and shifts the path out to the right more and can cause those draws/hooks.  So while the chipping improvement helped Viktor tremendously, better control and confidence off the tee also played a role in Viktor's success with Joe.

And while I'm certain there will be coaches that did teach a lot of what Joe is teaching with regards to the short game, I think Joe has done a terrific job of really going into the details with this short game technique.  I actually get frustrated that this information came out now because I know if one of my former clients had this information and coaching about 5 years ago, they would have won twice on Tour in one season and that would have completely changed their career.  It's the worst kept secret on Tour that chipping yips are very prevalent and I think Joe's work with Viktor will make Tour players and future Tour players much better around the green in the end.

I used to employ the same pitching method that Joe prescribes and then got coached out of it and my pitching greatly suffered as a result.  Now imagine if I was playing for millions of dollars.  It's a big deal.

I will say that it is pretty apparent that Viktor's plan has been to jump from coach-to-coach and try to glean their ideas and get a 'fresh set of eyes' every so often.  He started working with Kelvin Miyahira until Kelvin unfortunately had a stroke.  He then worked with Denny Lucas and won the US Am.  From there I know he's worked with Lucas Wald, George Gankas, Jeff Smith and IIRC John Tillery.  So I have my doubts this is anything sinister or a 'falling out.'  Probably more of what Viktor has done all along and Joe probably understood that going into the working relationship and there's really ntohing wrong with that on Viktor's part either as it has worked quite well for him.

RH

This should've been post #2...

Thread title was misleading and does seem clickbait*ish. RIP means something is dead. Switching coaches happens often and sometimes twice on Tuesdays..

Now we just need @Ferguson to close this out..

• Like 1

Titleist....

4 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I haven't talked to Joe about it because it's not something I would try to pry from him and it's none of my business.

But Joe worked with Viktor on his swing as well as his short game.  Viktor had issues with hitting too many low draws with the driver than he wished.  He wanted to play a cut and they started to see that his upper body center was too far forward in the downswing and that produces a steeper attack angle and shifts the path out to the right more and can cause those draws/hooks.  So while the chipping improvement helped Viktor tremendously, better control and confidence off the tee also played a role in Viktor's success with Joe.

And while I'm certain there will be coaches that did teach a lot of what Joe is teaching with regards to the short game, I think Joe has done a terrific job of really going into the details with this short game technique.  I actually get frustrated that this information came out now because I know if one of my former clients had this information and coaching about 5 years ago, they would have won twice on Tour in one season and that would have completely changed their career.  It's the worst kept secret on Tour that chipping yips are very prevalent and I think Joe's work with Viktor will make Tour players and future Tour players much better around the green in the end.

I used to employ the same pitching method that Joe prescribes and then got coached out of it and my pitching greatly suffered as a result.  Now imagine if I was playing for millions of dollars.  It's a big deal.

I will say that it is pretty apparent that Viktor's plan has been to jump from coach-to-coach and try to glean their ideas and get a 'fresh set of eyes' every so often.  He started working with Kelvin Miyahira until Kelvin unfortunately had a stroke.  He then worked with Denny Lucas and won the US Am.  From there I know he's worked with Lucas Wald, George Gankas, Jeff Smith and IIRC John Tillery.  So I have my doubts this is anything sinister or a 'falling out.'  Probably more of what Viktor has done all along and Joe probably understood that going into the working relationship and there's really ntohing wrong with that on Viktor's part either as it has worked quite well for him.

RH

this post was so informative it fixed part of my driver swing ;}

6 hours ago, DomJones said:

A lot of people older than 50 use the initials RIP, and people were using it before those people were born.  They typically use don’t use it when referring to an actual living people, because it means those people are dead.  They use it mostly to refer to the end of things like social phenomena or trends (e.g., RIP K-pop, or RIP Game of Thrones, or RIP ASMR, possibly RIP PGA Tour).  To use it in reference to actual people can among other things start premature rumors of the death of those people.

4 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

RH

Did people on the PGATour really not know to hit down on the ball until Mayo told them?  My mind is reeling.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/viktor-hovland-chipping-spin-loft-explained