2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

http://masculinebydesign.blogspot.com/2017/01/adult-women-have-physical-strength-of.html?m=1

College women's track teams post numbers similar to middle school boy's track teams.

High school boys track teams routinely post numbers BETTER than the women's Olympic records in those events.

Now golf depends more on skill than track does, but I've got to think the physical advantages men have would allow the better amateur males to be competitive with LPGA golfers.

Just as better high school track runners are competitive with women's Olympic track runners.

If it matters, I regularly got beat by a current LPGA player. Sometimes it wasn't even close.

C'mon now......we need more details than that!

We both grew up with the same wing coach. She led the Big East now AAC in GIRs one year. 2014 Symetra POY. 1st place on 2015 Symetra money list. Any thing else?

edit: realization that I need to work on my game...

2014 Symetra POY and leading money winner was Marissa Steen

2015 Symetra POY and leading money winner was Annie Park

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

If it matters, I regularly got beat by a current LPGA player. Sometimes it wasn't even close.

We both grew up with the same wing coach. She led the Big East now AAC in GIRs one year. 2014 Symetra POY. 1st place on 2015 Symetra money list. Any thing else?

Annie Park is a very attractive young lady...

http://masculinebyde...gth-of.html?m=1

College women's track teams post numbers similar to middle school boy's track teams.

High school boys track teams routinely post numbers BETTER than the women's Olympic records in those events.

Now golf depends more on skill than track does, but I've got to think the physical advantages men have would allow the better amateur males to be competitive with LPGA golfers.

Just as better high school track runners are competitive with women's Olympic track runners.

If you go back through the thread and read the posts from better amateur male golfers who have actually played with LPGA players you would find you were wrong.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Yes, you are correct. The better amateur male (and yes, a 4 hdcp is a better amateur male) would be COMPETITIVE with a lower ranked LPGA player. And that is the KEY TO THIS WHOLE THREAD! They would be COMPETITIVE, especially if you move the LPGA player back to the back tees and the 4 hdcp plays the back tees and is a fairly long hitter.

What is COMPETITIVE? 2-4 strokes? So, if the 4 hdcp might 'normally' get beaten by 4 strokes, even the 'majority' of the time. Then it's highly probably that the 4 hdcp would beat the LPGA player on some of those occasions when he is playing 'better' and she is playing 'worse'. And that answers the OPs post.

Whether they could or they couldn't, the fact of the matter is a good player who can "travel their game"---compete consistently at a high level on any course---has as much of a chance of beating another as any. Much can be said for hdcp vs hdcp or scenarios like Obee gets himself into on a weekly basis but none of that changes that in 1998 Undertaker threw Mankind off the top of the Hell in a Cell cage and he fell 18 feet, crashing through the Spanish announce table.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Yes, you are correct. The better amateur male (and yes, a 4 hdcp is a better amateur male) would be COMPETITIVE with a lower ranked LPGA player. And that is the KEY TO THIS WHOLE THREAD! They would be COMPETITIVE, especially if you move the LPGA player back to the back tees and the 4 hdcp plays the back tees and is a fairly long hitter.

What is COMPETITIVE? 2-4 strokes? So, if the 4 hdcp might 'normally' get beaten by 4 strokes, even the 'majority' of the time. Then it's highly probably that the 4 hdcp would beat the LPGA player on some of those occasions when he is playing 'better' and she is playing 'worse'. And that answers the OPs post.

Exactly.

Time to kill it

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Exactly.

Wrong. The tougher the course, the more skill is required. A 4 shoots around 80 one time out of four, the absolute middle of the pack LPGA player last year was Maude-Aimee Leblanc. Her every round competitive score avg was a smidge over 72. She averaged over 260 off the tee and was in the 70% range in GIR. I would take her for any amount against any real 4 anywhere anytime.

Whether they could or they couldn't, the fact of the matter is a good player who can "travel their game"---compete consistently at a high level on any course---has as much of a chance of beating another as any. Much can be said for hdcp vs hdcp or scenarios like Obee gets himself into on a weekly basis but none of that changes that in 1998 Undertaker threw Mankind off the top of the Hell in a Cell cage and he fell 18 feet, crashing through the Spanish announce table.

I'm sorry, I googled it...

My apologies this "Finished 1st on the volvik race for the card money list to earn LPGA Tour Membership for 2015" Is what I meant. You are correct. It is Marissa, shes got game. Already had a solid year this year. She did struggle coming home in Australia but overall it was a great tournament

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

My apologies this "Finished 1st on the volvik race for the card money list to earn LPGA Tour Membership for 2015" Is what I meant. You are correct. It is Marissa, shes got game. Already had a solid year this year. She did struggle coming home in Australia but overall it was a great tournament

I think I read she had an injury that kept her away for a little while.

When you played with her how was the course? Did you play the same tees from 7,000+ yards? I only ask because many here believe the 4 hcp can beat the LPGA player if she has to play a long course; that somehow the longer course gives the 4 hcp man a decisive edge.

PXG Bat Attack H

Rib injury from the flu, lost her card because of it. Tried to play thru it. Yes played from the same tees, but her consistency was was set her apart. Hit lots of greens no matter the distance and club. Not short off the tee either. She also just made more putts than me. Which was always the weakness in my game. Our swings are nearly identical since our coach is the same so ball striking were pretty similar. Her short game is just miles ahead of mine. IIRC when she played in the US Open she played in a practice round with one of the popular blondes on the LPGA tour (her name evades me atm) but she was taken aback at how far Marissa actually hit it.

I will say that when we did play I was just starting in college and she just ending her college career. Haven't played with her since she's been on tour, and I now work full time so I'd be willing to bet it still wouldn't even be close.

edit: rib not rip...

Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]

Exactly.

Wrong. The tougher the course, the more skill is required. A 4 shoots around 80 one time out of four, the absolute middle of the pack LPGA player last year was Maude-Aimee Leblanc. Her every round competitive score avg was a smidge over 72. She averaged over 260 off the tee and was in the 70% range in GIR. I would take her for any amount against any real 4 anywhere anytime.

First, I didn't say a 'tougher course'. I said a LONGER course. If the LPGA player is averaging 260 off the tee and the 4 hdcp is longer, averaging 290 off the tee, then he'll be hitting 8i into the green on a 450 yd par 4 vs 5w or hybrid for the LPGA player. Your average LPGA player (Maude-Aimee Leblanc) is way better than 'average' if she's over 260 off the tee. According to this article, the average LPGA player carry for an LPGA driver is 218 yards, and 4-irons average 169 yds. Even with some roll, that would put her hitting much longer clubs into greens than the longer 4 hdcp player. This would add more than just a couple of shots, closer to 3 or 4 easily during a round. NOT because she would make mistakes on all of them, but because she would possibly make bigger mistakes and NOT as easily offset those single bogeys with birdies, because those would be harder to come by.

Second, the player you listed is NOT middle of the road. She's currently 36th on the money list. Plus, she's far from typical, being 6' 1" tall. Also, we're NOT talking about a 'middle of the road' player, the OP was talking about ANY LPGA player.

Let's take the 125th money ranked player from 2016, Holly Clyburn. She's 5'8" tall (closer to typical) and longer than your average LPGA plyaer at 267 off the tee. Her scoring average is 72.61. However, if you look at her tournament results, she had several missed cuts. One of those, she shot 78, 77 at the Swinging Skirts Classic (Lake Merced Golf Club). The cut I believe came in at +4, so she was about 4 strokes higher than the cut line each day.

That course played at 6473 yds, with the longest par 5 at 518 yds and the longest par 3 at 181 yds. From their website scorecard, that puts it at the about the Blue tees, with a couple of exceptions. That's right at a stroke average of 72.0. The Green (back) tees play at 74.3, which adds 600 yds to the course and puts 3 of the par 3 at 197 or higher (highest at 221) and a couple of par 4s at over 440 yrds. However, if you look at the slope, if goes from 128 to 133. The Slope is the more telling number. The stroke rating might only go up by 2 strokes, but that's not the whole story. The difficulty in slope means the player that shoots higher at the shorter tee will have their score go up by more than just 2 shots going from the Blue to the Green tees, due to the possibility of higher scores on holes like the longer par 4s and par 3s. However, remember this. With the hdcp system, you also have ESC added in. Meaning if someone was an 8 hdcp and moved from the Blue to the Green tees and they had a 'blow-up' hole or two where they shot a couple of triple bogeys, they would get ESCed down to double bogey when that score is recorded.

The other interesting thing, if you look at the final results is that after the Top 10, the scores drop dramatically. The winning score was -9, but everyone from T11 on was E or over par for the tournament. Almost every player outside the top 10 had a round of 77 or higher on one of those 4 days. This says to me that almost all can put up a higher score on more than one occasion.

What does all this mean? In my opinion, it means it is possible for a 4 hdcp to beat an LPGA player. Not all the time, probably not even 50-50. But, if an LPGA pro can very likely shoot 77 or higher (as evidenced from this tournament) during a 4 day stretch. She would shoot higher on those days from the back tees at 80 or so. That 4 hdcp player, who plays that course regularly and plays those back tees can very likely beat that. Now, would that happen if they were playing each other? Was the course setup more difficult on tournament days, maybe? These are things that can't be answered, exactly. However, this evidence more than suggests, it can happen.

The answer is: No. The next question is: how long does it take to change an ego maniac four handicapper mind that he needs to cut off at least 5 strokes and add a skirt to beat an LPGA pro?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Exactly.

First, I didn't say a 'tougher course'. I said a LONGER course. If the LPGA player is averaging 260 off the tee and the 4 hdcp is longer, averaging 290 off the tee, then he'll be hitting 8i into the green on a 450 yd par 4 vs 5w or hybrid for the LPGA player. Your average LPGA player (Maude-Aimee Leblanc) is way better than 'average' if she's over 260 off the tee. According to this article, the average LPGA player carry for an LPGA driver is 218 yards, and 4-irons average 169 yds. Even with some roll, that would put her hitting much longer clubs into greens than the longer 4 hdcp player. This would add more than just a couple of shots, closer to 3 or 4 easily during a round. NOT because she would make mistakes on all of them, but because she would possibly make bigger mistakes and NOT as easily offset those single bogeys with birdies, because those would be harder to come by.

Second, the player you listed is NOT middle of the road. She's currently 36th on the money list. Plus, she's far from typical, being 6' 1" tall. Also, we're NOT talking about a 'middle of the road' player, the OP was talking about ANY LPGA player.

Let's take the 125th money ranked player from 2016, Holly Clyburn. She's 5'8" tall (closer to typical) and longer than your average LPGA plyaer at 267 off the tee. Her scoring average is 72.61. However, if you look at her tournament results, she had several missed cuts. One of those, she shot 78, 77 at the Swinging Skirts Classic (Lake Merced Golf Club). The cut I believe came in at +4, so she was about 4 strokes higher than the cut line each day.

That course played at 6473 yds, with the longest par 5 at 518 yds and the longest par 3 at 181 yds. From their website scorecard, that puts it at the about the Blue tees, with a couple of exceptions. That's right at a stroke average of 72.0. The Green (back) tees play at 74.3, which adds 600 yds to the course and puts 3 of the par 3 at 197 or higher (highest at 221) and a couple of par 4s at over 440 yrds. However, if you look at the slope, if goes from 128 to 133. The Slope is the more telling number. The stroke rating might only go up by 2 strokes, but that's not the whole story. The difficulty in slope means the player that shoots higher at the shorter tee will have their score go up by more than just 2 shots going from the Blue to the Green tees, due to the possibility of higher scores on holes like the longer par 4s and par 3s. However, remember this. With the hdcp system, you also have ESC added in. Meaning if someone was an 8 hdcp and moved from the Blue to the Green tees and they had a 'blow-up' hole or two where they shot a couple of triple bogeys, they would get ESCed down to double bogey when that score is recorded.

The other interesting thing, if you look at the final results is that after the Top 10, the scores drop dramatically. The winning score was -9, but everyone from T11 on was E or over par for the tournament. Almost every player outside the top 10 had a round of 77 or higher on one of those 4 days. This says to me that almost all can put up a higher score on more than one occasion.

What does all this mean? In my opinion, it means it is possible for a 4 hdcp to beat an LPGA player. Not all the time, probably not even 50-50. But, if an LPGA pro can very likely shoot 77 or higher (as evidenced from this tournament) during a 4 day stretch. She would shoot higher on those days from the back tees at 80 or so. That 4 hdcp player, who plays that course regularly and plays those back tees can very likely beat that. Now, would that happen if they were playing each other? Was the course setup more difficult on tournament days, maybe? These are things that can't be answered, exactly. However, this evidence more than suggests, it can happen.

Please read post #1540. This young man frequently played with a Symetra player from the same tees and couldn't beat her. He's better than a 4 hcp and she is at the bottom of the LPGA tour.

PXG Bat Attack H

Please read post #1540. This young man frequently played with a Symetra player from the same tees and couldn't beat her. He's better than a 4 hcp and she is at the bottom of the LPGA tour.

Oh...well, guess we are done! Lock this up! :swoon:

Really, so what! One guy can't beat a Symetra tour player. That means nothing. Perhaps he's not good in matches? Maybe he was trying to date her? (ha, ha).

One guy's inability to beat a Symetra tour player has nothing to do with this post. That's a single case. Really, is this all you got? That's not even an argument.

Really, so what! One guy can't beat a Symetra tour player. That means nothing. Perhaps he's not good in matches? Maybe he was trying to date her? (ha, ha).

One guy's inability to beat a Symetra tour player has nothing to do with this post. That's a single case. Really, is this all you got? That's not even an argument.

Not trying to date (ha, ha...) She is on the LPGA tour currently. She did pretty well in Australia a couple weeks ago. I did pretty well in the NCAA championships I played in too...but what do I know. I have beaten her a couple times. I'm sure a 4 handicap can get lucky once in a blue moon and beat a lower ranked LPGA player. But top of the line LPGA player not gonna happen. Not an argument but rather a discussion, if you would like to have one like an adult we can have one but don't come at me with that nonsense and drag me around. I see you provided some facts in your post above and now I have provided my real life experience.

LOL. So the example the guy gave of something that actually happened is not valid but their conjecture involving mythical 4 handicapper is. Funny stuff.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The weakness in your statement is that you have a 4 hdcp who averages 290 off the tee and can regularly find the ball. His best potential score would be 76-77, with his high scores scores dismissed. The young lady you chose has a scoring average that counts all rounds, they are all competitive rounds, and all under tournament conditions. It is possible that a 4 could catch an LPGA player on a bad day and beat her once, but it is also possible that I will be invited to play ANGC. The superb ball striking 4 hdcp player is the Yeti of golf forums, and a 290 driving avg is about Jordan Spieth length.

Not trying to date (ha, ha...) She is on the LPGA tour currently. She did pretty well in Australia a couple weeks ago. I did pretty well in the NCAA championships I played in too...but what do I know. I have beaten her a couple times. I'm sure a 4 handicap can get lucky once in a blue moon and beat a lower ranked LPGA player. But top of the line LPGA player not gonna happen. Not an argument but rather a discussion, if you would like to have one like an adult we can have one but don't come at me with that nonsense and drag me around. I see you provided some facts in your post above and now I have provided my real life experience.

I'm not trying to 'come at you', I didn't drag you into it, you and Hot Rod 71 did that. This is a discussion. I just said that your one case was not 'an argument' to support your position. Not that this is an argument

You said yourself above, a 4 hdcp could get lucky and beat a lower ranked LPGA player. That's what this thread is all about.

I've said all along, that it would not happen all that often. And, for it to happen, it would take a certain kind of 4 hdcp. Someone who hits it long, used to be closer to scratch, but now doesn't play as much. Would he need to catch lightening in a bottle to do it. Yeah, but it still could definitely happen. And yes, those players exist. Heck, if you want to use personal examples. I shot a +1 round as a 12 hdcp. Most on here would say that's statistically not possible.

The weakness in your statement is that you have a 4 hdcp who averages 290 off the tee and can regularly find the ball. His best potential score would be 76-77, with his high scores scores dismissed. The young lady you chose has a scoring average that counts all rounds, they are all competitive rounds, and all under tournament conditions. It is possible that a 4 could catch an LPGA player on a bad day and beat her once, but it is also possible that I will be invited to play ANGC. The superb ball striking 4 hdcp player is the Yeti of golf forums, and a 290 driving avg is about Jordan Spieth length.

How is his 'best potential' score be 76-77? His best potential score could very well be par or better. He could be the type of player that gets hot and goes low, but then blows up other rounds. That might be the 'potential' for his round according to the USGA hdcp system, but that's why we play the game.

The wheels on the bus are still going 'round n 'round...

I believe, as do others, that the original premise was more of a "would" the 4 beat the pro. Title, unfortunately, says "could". So to all of you that say it could happen, sure it could, and other unlikely occurrences with an equal "chance" have been mentioned.

Would it be an expected result for the 4 to win? I think it has been virtually unanimous, with a few delusional male chest beating naysayers, that the pro would win a vast majority of the time.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I have beaten her a couple times.

Not your "fault" but don't ya hate when that happens ?!?!?! :lol:

]The weakness in your statement is that you have a 4 hdcp who averages 290 off the tee and can regularly find the ball. His best potential score would be 76-77, with his high scores scores dismissed. The young lady you chose has a scoring average that counts all rounds, they are all competitive rounds, and all under tournament conditions. It is possible that a 4 could catch an LPGA player on a bad day and beat her once, but it is also possible that I will be invited to play ANGC. The superb ball striking 4 hdcp player is the Yeti of golf forums, and a 290 driving avg is about Jordan Spieth length.

The weakness in your statement is that the LPGA driving average is about 240 and they often play from ~ 6300 yards and that not only wouldn't the 50 extra yards off the tee mean anything but neither would the 2 or 3 less clubs the guy would need going into the greens make a difference either.

So she's moving back about 40 yards per hole and yet will shoot the same gross score.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow